One Day......

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

One Day......

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Ever since I started running I've always wanted to run a marathon under 4:00. I didn't care if it was 3:59:59, I just want to see a 3 as the first number. The closest I came was Vancouver 2011 @ 4:03:40. I really thought Red Deer and 2013 would be the day/year. Short story, it was not to be. :( Final time: 4:18:42

I'm not really sure what to write in this race report. It's a bit of a contradiction because my time was not what I wanted or envisioned, but I did run well, when I was able to run.

The day was perfect, absolutely perfect for running a marathon. I felt good, I felt strong, I felt rested, I felt confident, I was sure I could do it. I started off at a great pace, I found my groove and kept thinking to myself that if I could keep this up, I would finally break 4 hours.
At 10k, I had a slight twinge in my butt and remember thinking that was kind if weird, that's never happened before. :? Keep running, 11-12k is mostly downhill so I picked up a few seconds on that part, kept it steady after that, but by 15k my piriformis was really giving me grief. I remember thinking NO, NO, NO, this can't be happening, but reality said it was.
I can't remember where I saw Size5, (maybe 19k?), I told her i was in pain and she offered to find me some Tylenol. Poor Krista, she asked every single person she saw for some drugs. :lol: She found one Tylenol which I took and it did nothing to ease the pain, so a few kilometers later I laid down on the grass and Krista used her elbow to try and work out the knots. I'm sure that was a petty sight. :help:
I wasn't giving up, I would run while I could and walk when I had to. When I ran, I did run strong, I had good form and I ran a good pace, then things would tighten up again and I'd have to walk and massage. I used a couple of park benches :shifty: , and Krista used her elbows one more time. She found some Ibuprofen, but by this time it was quite late in the race and time had already slipped away.
The IB must have kicked in because the last 2k didn't feel too bad, or I was just happy it was almost over. :lol: There is a nasty short steep hill right at the end and I managed to run that hill and run strong into the finish line.
During the whole marathon I felt good (except my butt). I never felt depleted of energy, my breathing was good, my posture was good, I never "shuffled".
Of course I'm disappointed with how things turned out, but I can honestly say this is the best I've run (when I ran), if that makes any sense. :?

ONE DAY, I WILL SEE A 3!!

I just want to give a HUGE shout out to Size5. I don't know words to describe it, but she is the total BOMB!!! :dance:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

One Day......

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 20, 2013 4:56 pm

Great report, Sue. Congratulations again on the finish.

They can't all be perfect, but you do a great job seeing the positive in all your races. You'll get that sub 4. :) In the meantime I will always admire your dedication and amazing attitude.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Re: One Day......

Postby Hammie » Mon May 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Congrats. Running a good race on a tough day is an accomplishment no matter what the time is. I have no doubt that you'll get your sub-4 someday - you've got the speed, endurance, and consistency in your running to do it. It just needs to be your day as well, and it sounds like your piriformis didn't get the memo!

I suspect there are a few places in Red Deer where asking strangers if they have drugs could get you into a world of trouble :lol: . Kudos to Size5 for the fantastic support!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:12 pm

Well done pushing through Sue -- what a pain in the butt (literally!!) --

You will see a 3 if you future -- of that, I have no doubt! You train so well, and run so strong... I admire your tenacity and determination!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:18 pm

Habs, great attitude on a tough day. Thanks for the reminder to restock my running belt - water - check, gel - check, Xtra strength motrin - check
I see a 3 in the near future.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Boo for sore butts, but yay for size5!

Nice toughing it out Sue! Most importantly, you enjoyed despite it all! I love your attitude!

Congratulations on number 6!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon May 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Nuts. Running isn't fair sometimes, which makes it particularly special when those perfect races come around. Rest assured that you certainly trained like a sub-4 marathoner, and not just for the sake of an arbitrary achievement but because running is its own justification. Hopefully your new location will allow for more outdoor running in winter, a chance for a few short local races, and a close proximity to some faster marathon courses like QCM and Calgary.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Sue. You really are SUCH a strong runner. There is no doubt that you will see a 3 in your lifetime! You gritted and showed great strength and ran hard even when you knew it wasn't to be your perfect day and THAT folks, is what gets people a time that starts with a 3. You were so smooth and so well paced. It's a challenging course.

Things you failed to mention:

ummm 3rd place in your AG :dance:

ummm door prize!!! :dance:

MH will be kind to you. Come back to RD next year!
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:02 pm

Hammie wrote:
I suspect there are a few places in Red Deer where asking strangers if they have drugs could get you into a world of trouble :lol: .

This was my thought! And I had visions of trying to explain this to Mr Size5 :shock:
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 20, 2013 6:07 pm

Size5 wrote:
Hammie wrote:
I suspect there are a few places in Red Deer where asking strangers if they have drugs could get you into a world of trouble :lol: .

This was my thought! And I had visions of trying to explain this to Mr Size5 :shock:

I would have bailed you out.

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Mon May 20, 2013 6:09 pm

Habs, I can really sympathize with your not getting that finish time you were looking for. OTOH, I am *very* impressed with the time you did get, especially considering the pain you had to fight thru to get it. And ain't it great to have friends like Size5 to help you when you really need it?
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 20, 2013 6:10 pm

ian wrote: Hopefully your new location will allow for more outdoor running in winter, a chance for a few short local races, and a close proximity to some faster marathon courses like QCM and Calgary.

And the fact that our new house is in a location where you have to run down a 2k hill to get to the river valley, so that means a 2k uphill on each run. That should help this flatlander become stronger. :dance:

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Size5 wrote:Things you failed to mention:

:shifty:

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 20, 2013 6:14 pm

marymac442 wrote:Habs, great attitude on a tough day. Thanks for the reminder to restock my running belt - water - check, gel - check, Xtra strength motrin - check
I see a 3 in the near future.

Yeah, I will NEVER go to a race without drugs again.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon May 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Hills are your friend. They will make you stronger. You can't help but get that 3.xx next time!

As one who has suffers with persistent priformis issues, I truly feel your pain. :(
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon May 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Sorry to read about your problems. However, that was a pretty dynamite time considering your problems. Also - kudos to Size5 for her help and support. That is one of the things I like about this sport and even moreso, this group of maniacs! I too, am confident that a sub 4 hour is in your future!! :)

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

One Day......

Postby Kelodie » Mon May 20, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm sorry you didn't get the race you wanted. :(

Next time...
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Size5 wrote:Sue. You really are SUCH a strong runner. There is no doubt that you will see a 3 in your lifetime! You gritted and showed great strength and ran hard even when you knew it wasn't to be your perfect day and THAT folks, is what gets people a time that starts with a 3. You were so smooth and so well paced. It's a challenging course.

Things you failed to mention:

MH will be kind to you. Come back to RD next year!

love this. love seeing all the support in this thread.

the marathon is such an unknown - so many factors at play. your training and dedication inspires me (and so many others!) day in and day out through the year, and i know that 3:XX time will come, and on that perfect day - you'll blow it away.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Congrats on your race and the great race report. It was nice talking to you and Size5 at the end. I am sure there is a sub 4 in your future. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon May 20, 2013 11:21 pm

As others have already said, you definitely have what it takes to get to where you want to be with your consistent mileage base throughout the year and your determination. Adding in a few tweaks to your training in your new surroundings in the coming months sounds exciting! Recover well.

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue May 21, 2013 1:20 am

Habs4ever wrote:She found one Tylenol which I took and it did nothing to ease the pain, so a few kilometers later I laid down on the grass and Krista used her elbow to try and work out the knots. I'm sure that was a petty sight. :help:

I wasn't giving up, I would run while I could and walk when I had to. When I ran, I did run strong, I had good form and I ran a good pace, then things would tighten up again and I'd have to walk and massage. I used a couple of park benches :shifty: , and Krista used her elbows one more time.

I'd have loved to have seen these moments!

Sorry you didn't get the race you wanted, but I'm happy you still pushed through and finished (with what I consider to still be a good time). :D
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue May 21, 2013 7:34 am

Great race report! Congrats on another marathon! You had a tough go yet pulled it out, and that's awesome.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 21, 2013 7:35 am

Just want to add a couple things.

The course is beautiful with all the trails along the river, (other than a small portion of road running). The volunteers were great. The course was quiet after the 1/2 split off but I really didn't mind that as I'm used to running alone, the only fleeting thought I had was "am I still going in the right direction".
I would definitely go back.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue May 21, 2013 8:26 am

Habs4ever wrote:Just want to add a couple things.

The course is beautiful with all the trails along the river, (other than a small portion of road running). The volunteers were great. The course was quiet after the 1/2 split off but I really didn't mind that as I'm used to running alone, the only fleeting thought I had was "am I still going in the right direction".
I would definitely go back.

Sounds like the type of marathon that I should run for my Alberta Marathon! HMMMM!! :)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 21, 2013 9:17 am

Sorry to hear it wasn't your day. I feel the same way about my quest to break 4:30 - I've come close, but it's so elusive.

Glad to hear S5 was there to lend support.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “Run/Race Reports”