Saskatchewan (half) Marathon 2013

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Sun May 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Signed up for this one a while ago and really expected to get out training more. But between work, family and martial arts commitments, my running schedule was somewhat lessened. Like, I ran 303 km since last Thanksgiving when I finished Victoria, and that includes the 140 km I've done since ramping up for this race a bit in mid-April. 300 km was a good month for me late last season.

Suffice to say I didn't have high hopes for this race. An experiment with sub-5 pacing last week showed me the error of my ways, and I resolved to keep it somewhere under 5:10. We had lots of mixed weather predictions but today ended up cool and cloudy, around 11 at the start, perfect racing weather. Had a bit of a frantic beginning as the race was moved back to its original start at Diefenbaker park and access to there is pretty restricted - big traffic jam getting in. I eventually just abandoned my car in a lot a km or so away and ran in the rest of the way, arriving just as the anthem was being sung.

I must say the new (old) course is a big improvement over the one they've been doing the last few years. Namely, no ungodly hill at the finish. Not much to say about the race itself, other than I probably paced it a little too cautiously. There was never any danger of a PB so I was regarding this as more of a fast training run with bonus T-shirt. I felt like I had a bit of juice left in the tank and ramped it up around 18k to a 4:40 or so pace, but had to back down before I even hit the 20k marker. I loped in to the finish at 1:47:36 at around the same 5:10-ish pace I had been aiming for - actually it was 5:06 average. If my Garmin is to be believed, I ran pretty much dead even splits, the second half around 10 secs slower than the first. I was comfortable the whole way and didn't have to walk at all, so somehow some of my fitness has survived the lack of training.

Our guest speakers Reid Coolsaet and Dylan Wykes also ran today to my surprise. I thought they were just here to give speeches and take photos, but Coolsaet won the 10k in arond 32 mins and Wykes paced the winner of the half in at 1:18 and change (and allowed him the win, although they had identical times). One of my friends told me Wykes' half PB is 1:02, and there's no way Coolsaet is pushing it hard at 32 so I guess they were just out for grins.

I saw Ian's buddy Brendan Lunty in his usual position side-by-side with sponsor Brian Michasiw of Brainsport. I assume he was going to win but Brian beat him out by a few seconds in 2:49. Must have been an off day for Brendan.

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: Saskatchewan (half) Marathon 2013

Postby ian » Sun May 26, 2013 3:55 pm

Nice race. That's pretty much the best-case scenario this early in the season for you, but it goes to show how much experience and residual fitness you've carried over.

Joe Dwarf wrote:I saw Ian's buddy Brendan Lunty in his usual position side-by-side with sponsor Brian Michasiw of Brainsport. I assume he was going to win but Brian beat him out by a few seconds in 2:49. Must have been an off day for Brendan.

Not a bad day, as he was about the same time last week in Red Deer. He just didn't train the way he usually does over the winter, what with a bit of burnout from 11 marathons last year, the relentless snow and cold, and a two-year old running around the house. Meanwhile, I think it's great that Brian is back racing again, as he had a pretty serious injury last year along with some health issues with his daughter.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun May 26, 2013 4:21 pm

I had lunch with Dylan and his Mom on May 15th...the little brat :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :wink: didn't tell us anything about pacing someone...he's supposed to be taking it easy (he's recovering from an injury). But happy to see that he stepped on a race course to pace.
Yes...his half time in race shape is a little below that time.

Good job on your race...and the even splits!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun May 26, 2013 4:24 pm

Good race and enjoyable report. congratulations!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun May 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Sounds like a good start to the season. Congratulations.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon May 27, 2013 12:47 am

Jo-Jo wrote:I had lunch with Dylan and his Mom on May 15th...the little brat :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :wink: didn't tell us anything about pacing someone...he's supposed to be taking it easy (he's recovering from an injury). But happy to see that he stepped on a race course to pace.

Thanks! The pacing bit was just my speculation when I saw that he had the same slow (for him) time as the winner.

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon May 27, 2013 12:51 am

ian wrote:Nice race. That's pretty much the best-case scenario this early in the season for you, but it goes to show how much experience and residual fitness you've carried over.
Thanks! The experience thing does kick in as after 8 halfs I know how I am feeling when I'm pushing it at various points in the race and this effort was not there. I had fun anyway!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon May 27, 2013 5:59 am

Joe Dwarf wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:I had lunch with Dylan and his Mom on May 15th...the little brat :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :wink: didn't tell us anything about pacing someone...he's supposed to be taking it easy (he's recovering from an injury). But happy to see that he stepped on a race course to pace.

Thanks! The pacing bit was just my speculation when I saw that he had the same slow (for him) time as the winner.

I texted Dylan to let him know I had spies ( :lol: :wink: )and he texted me to say this was an easy run done with his coach's approval. He also said he had a great time at this event :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon May 27, 2013 11:07 am

Congrats on another half done and great race report.

Joe Dwarf wrote:Our guest speakers Reid Coolsaet and Dylan Wykes also ran today to my surprise. I thought they were just here to give speeches and take photos, but Coolsaet won the 10k in arond 32 mins and Wykes paced the winner of the half in at 1:18 and change (and allowed him the win, although they had identical times). One of my friends told me Wykes' half PB is 1:02, and there's no way Coolsaet is pushing it hard at 32 so I guess they were just out for grins.

I raced in a half back in Feb’2012 (my first I might add) in Vancouver, ‘First Half’ Half Marathon. Dylan was named elite that year. He was in the midst of training for a qualifying time for the London Games. He ran the race in 1:04:xx. So yes, 1:18 is more of an easy run for him. FTR he is such a nice guy to approach and talk to, as Jo-Jo has attested to already.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Mon May 27, 2013 11:28 am

I was curious about how fast a 32:13 10k is for Coolsaet - found he ran 28:08 at Sporting Life in 2011, and 28:35 at Yonge St last spring. If he ran at yesterday's pace for a marathon he'd finish a little under 2:16, 5 minutes slower than his PB. So not exactly a jog for him, but not close to straining.

These elites seem hardly human...

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 27, 2013 11:46 am

Nice race yesterday. It's good that you can get out there and run a strong half even on limited training.

Joe Dwarf wrote:I was curious about how fast a 32:13 10k is for Coolsaet - found he ran 28:08 at Sporting Life in 2011, and 28:35 at Yonge St last spring. If he ran at yesterday's pace for a marathon he'd finish a little under 2:16, 5 minutes slower than his PB. So not exactly a jog for him, but not close to straining.

These elites seem hardly human...

His marathon pace is 3:05/km.

Yesterday he ran 3:13/km.

:)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon May 27, 2013 12:29 pm

congrats!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Congratulations!!

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Mon May 27, 2013 3:24 pm

Great work! Congratulations!!

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon May 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Nicely done!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Mon May 27, 2013 7:40 pm

Nice run! And any time an "ungodly hill at the finish" is eliminated, that's a good thing.
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Tue May 28, 2013 8:15 am

Made the paper. I'm in the background, repping the orange. Foreground in the VFFs is a friend of mine from the kendo club.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Congrats on your race. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”