Sulphur Springs 50k

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Sulphur Springs 50k

Postby ngcaper » Mon May 27, 2013 8:27 am

Saturday was my first attempt at 50k. I had only raced 1/2 marathons before Saturday except for ATB this year so I took the step of skipping the marathon distance altogether and heading straight to 50k.

The lead in to the race was great. Running with Strider in Gatineau was the best possible training and guidance I could have hoped for. Learning from Striders experience and getting his encouragement was awesome. I owe him a debt, or potentially some BBQ.

The week before SS I was in Orlando for a conference we were hosting. This was not ideal...standing around in suit/ties all week, little activity and long long days. Then flying back Thursday evening, and driving from Ottawa to Ancaster Friday morning was a bit more sitting still than I'm used to.

Before we kicked off someone in the 100m relay completed the first 20k loop in 1:18...WOW!!! that is a mighty feat of running once you consider the trails and hills. The race started at 7:30am and was a bit crowded as the 25kers and 50kers started together. When the 25kers reached their turn around it became much easier...they were moving fast, and there was alot of them in both directions so it was nice to have the break from the crowd.

I ran for maybe the first 15k with a girl from Owen Sound named Jodi...very friendly, chatty person who was running her 3rd 50k. She was tough, drove down herself the night before, slept in her van, was running and driving back. As Jodi and I were running and sharing bits of our lives I mentioned I have registered for Run Woodstock, and a guy from near Owen Sound had responded to my request for details, (WestGreyRunner). Jodi says I think you mean Ron Irwin, who then said from about 3ft behind me...Ron Irwin that's me :) So we ran with Ron for maybe 500m introducing myself and just chatting about Woodstock. I hope to see you down there WGR.

The first loly-pop 10k loop Jodi and I finished together in 54min. I was moving faster than expected. We started the full 20k loop together and lasted for maybe another 5-6k together and hit a steep section where Jodi fell off...I had trail shoes, she did not and she had to take her time. That loop went well, nothing amiss, felt great, the support on the trail was further apart than I had expected, but I was fully supporting myself anyway except for grabbing some watermelon as it looked too good to run pass.

I finished the loop and therefore 30k in 2:58. I was still feeling great, and moving well. Around the 35-36k mark I felt that all too familiar IT band twinge appear. I had the strap in my hydration pack so I stopped and put it on hoping to help keep it at bay. I hit the 40k mark around 3:59 so still looking at an 5hr finish time...but the IT band had enough of me at that time, and went full on angry. It stopped me to a walk, I tried stretching it out a bit but nothing was giving.

I started to walk as I figured it doesn't hurt much walking, and there's no way I'm making it to 41k and stopping unless there's bones protruding. So I plodded on...I'd run 200m and walk 800m. I found running up the hills was fine, flats and downs were quite painful so that was my new approach. The folks on the trail running and volunteering were unbelievably friendly and supportive. People would stop and walk with me, I think they could notice my hobble, and one of the volunteers (she told me she was the lead volunteer) walked with me for quite a bit. A very charming girl who's name I sadly forget already.

When I hit the turn for the big hill with 1k remaining I thought to myself my leg won't fall off...and I'm not coming in waling so I started to run the hill. I finished in 5:29:23 which strangely was my original wish (5:30).

Overall I had a wonderful time, I loved the introduction to Ultra's and the crowd itself. If one person said you're looking good, keep pushing it felt 500 people said it. A hard working and very positive group of people. The team at Sulphur should be proud as they put on a fantastic event. The hills were more than I expected, never a break. I discovered all that time in Gatineau paid off as I was running almost every hill (slowly yes but running) and felt strong doing so. I'd equate SS hills as more relentless than Gatineaus, but no tougher.

Now some rest, hopefully a visit to a sport doctor to find out whats wrong with this IT Band/right leg, and get ready for the 50m at Woodstock. Part of me thinks the standing around in Orlando, and the sitting was the driving factor for the IT flare up...but regardless it needs to be addressed.

Ps. My wife and I did go back with our lawn chairs to see people through. I seen CMcPeake but I don't know him so I just clapped and said looking good (I recognized him from his blog), and I seen Sylvie only once...and she was on her way out. I was apparently not paying attention when Sylvie came through the chute, and when I looked up she was running out...so I missed her, but seen you rocked as I expected you would.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Re: Sulphur Springs 50k

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:54 am

Great job on your first 50 km -- you are an Ultramarathoner -- woohoo!! Sulphur is a great event, and I loved the challenging, diverse course --- and you are absolutely right about the friendly runners and volunteers..... a perfect weekend -- really glad you enjoyed it!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Mon May 27, 2013 9:13 am

Great report and congrats on your first ultra! Hope to get out for a few trail runs with you this summer as you prepare for Woodstock.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon May 27, 2013 10:13 am

So proud of you. I remember our first 2hr run, though to that final ankle twisting hammer out to the tower and back. Each one you got stronger and that much more confident. I am sure that ITBS was a combination of a number of things that should be easy to get behind you now that you have broken into the Ultra world. Take the time, get it fixed and Puppy and I will be back running with you come July (once I recovery from next weekend)!

BBQ? Break out the Egg, let me know the when and where. I'll bring the Beer and Wine, we will have earned it!

Congratulations again, it was a fun journey that is really just the beginning.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 27, 2013 10:17 am

Congratulations that's an awesome result/accomplishment. Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. It is a great event though. Hope to run one of the races next year myself. Way to go!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon May 27, 2013 10:43 am

Congrats and well done!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Mon May 27, 2013 10:53 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Funnest race I've ever done. I've already made an appt at the Nepean Sportplex sport doc to get the IT Band solved...they were quick, Thursday afternoon.

@Strider when you finally wake up after finishing KM I figure around June 15th the Egg will be fired up. If you're awake earlier say June 7th it'll be fired up then as well.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon May 27, 2013 4:54 pm

Great report and race!1 Congratulations on toughing it out. Good luck on getting the IT situation in hand. It is a tough course to run when completely healthy so finishing it is that time with IT problems is impressive!!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon May 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Great report...for a race well done!!!
If Strider's in your corner...all is well in your world! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ratherawkward
Bruce Kidd

Postby ratherawkward » Mon May 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Amazing job, especially considering you were dealing with IT issues. Congrats on a great first ultra!
PR's so far: 5K 27:15, 10K 55:25, 21.1K 2:10:53, 42.2K 5:21:27
Upcoming: Toronto Women's 5k in May, STWM Half in October

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Great job, congratulations.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue May 28, 2013 8:41 am

Great run, especially with the ITB issues. Aren't ultras all about blocking out those silly pain signals?
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue May 28, 2013 9:22 am

Congrats! I love to hear about people's first experiences at the Ultra distance as I prepare for my own later this year. :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Tue May 28, 2013 9:29 am

Great job on your first 50K!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Congrats on the great race report and your 1st ultra. Good luck with the IT issues.
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”