Jes inches closer to the 4hr mark

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 30, 2013 8:16 am

The stats:

Previous PB: 4:15:33 -- Hamilton marathon, 2012
Goal time: 4:00ish
Chip time: 4:05:18 (turns out I lied -- it was a 10 min PB, not 11 min - ha ha!)
Pace: 5:49
Age group: 98/252
Women: 631/1672
10k split: 57:08
21.1k split: 2:00:11
30k split: 2:52:28

First marathon: ORW, 2007: 5:13
Sixth marathon: ORW, 2013: 4:05

And with this marathon, I have officially taken over 1 hour off my first marathon time :D

The lead up: Training for this one was pretty uneventful. I trained harder than I ever have before, adding a sixth running day/week and an extra run on Thursdays (in addition to speedwork in the evening). I worked with a strength and nutrition coach and lost 15 lbs. My mileage peaked in the low 90ks, and I went into this one feeling good. Based on my ATB time (2:48), a 4 hour goal was reasonable. I was a bit nervous about the goal pace for the last few weeks, but I decided to just start at goal pace and hang on for as long as possible. (It didn’t help that my main training partner went on an extended vacation 3 weeks out from the race! Andy - don’t do that again! :naughty: )

The race:

Unlike every other Ottawa marathon for as long as I can remember, the weather wasn’t actually a factor this year! Other than I had a mini-meltdown on Sat night trying to figure out what to wear. In the end, I was dressed perfectly and was warm, but not hot, throughout. I met up with some K2J people early in the am, and found one of my running partners, Beth, in the corral. We split up at the start mat (her goal time was way faster than mine), but it was nice to wait with someone. I have been having some trouble recently with my stomach (diaphragm, I guess) cramping at the start of runs. It happens within the first minute, if it’s going to happen, and it can take up to an hour to go away. It happened at ATB, and took 8k to go away. It happened on Sunday, and it took almost 10k to resolve. It’s incredibly painful, but other than quitting, the only option is to keep running. But despite this, I hit my goal pace (within a few seconds on either side). A special energy boost came from seeing Marg and Carm while going through Westboro. First 10k: 57:08

I crossed the half point at exactly 2 hours. I guess that makes it easy to see where I lost time :oops: Everything was ticking along pretty well until about km 28. I don’t really know what happened. I just started bleeding time. Then walking. I walked too much in the second half, for no good reason, other than I was tired and ready to be done. But some marathon math at around 35k told me that I needed to run 6 min/km for the last 7k to come in around 4:05...so that’s what I did. The merge with the 1/2ers went fairly well this year. I passed a lot of people in the last 3k, and the crowd support was fantastic (special shout-out to Dee, who clearly thought I was having a terrible day, based on the text I got after the race -- I guess I looked about as awesome as I felt at that point :lol: )

My calves were threatening to cramp for the last 8k or so, and I just repeated to myself “get to the finish line -- the volunteers will catch you, and you can fall apart then.” It worked...no cramps until I attempted to get into my car to drive home. Four days later, my calves are still a bit sore, but I’m attributing that to the cramping, not to the actual race.

I had always said that my goal was 4ish hours. So I guess I met my goal. Would I have liked to have run 4 hours? Of course. But I’ll get it next time :D

Photos are here: http://www.marathon-photos.com/scripts/ ... name=Jesse
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Re: Jes inches closer to the 4hr mark

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu May 30, 2013 8:21 am

You are awesome. I don't know what else to say! I'm glad you saw me cheering on the side of the course - even though yes, I was worried about you ;) All that worry translated into immense pride knowing that the reason my friend looked like she was having a tough time was because she was digging deep and securing an awesome PB! Congratulations on this race - 4 hours is in your sights!!
xo
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:37 am

Awesome race report -- I love your commitment to your training and your health -- you worked hard, and you finished with an awesome result!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu May 30, 2013 8:42 am

Congrats on your race Jes. You put in the hard work in training and you raced well - very happy for you - and you look great!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 30, 2013 8:43 am

CinC wrote:Congrats on your race Jes. You put in the hard work in training and you raced well - very happy for you - and you look great!

I think your comment of "You didn't suck" on my FB page is my favourite comment ever!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 30, 2013 8:44 am

Great report! That's a super PB.

I can definitely relate to the feeling in the second half. When you figure it out let me know! Impressed that you were able to pick it up and pace out the last 7k like that- that shows a lot of mental toughness and physical strength.

Congratulations again. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:44 am

Congrats Jes! I thought your training was fantastic! And I knew you would score a new PB!

Nicely done :D
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu May 30, 2013 8:58 am

jes wrote:
CinC wrote:Congrats on your race Jes. You put in the hard work in training and you raced well - very happy for you - and you look great!

I think your comment of "You didn't suck" on my FB page is my favourite comment ever!

8)
Race Hard. Race Happy.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 30, 2013 9:38 am

You already know how I feel ...other than, Congratulations and "I knew that you would do great ... " 'nough said ... :shifty: :wink:

eta: You - Me - Hamilton - November 2013 -- sub 4 hour .... Deal ??? :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 30, 2013 9:52 am

HCcD wrote:You already know how I feel ...other than, Congratulations and "I knew that you would do great ... " 'nough said ... :shifty: :wink:

eta: You - Me - Hamilton - November 2013 -- sub 4 hour .... Deal ??? :shifty: :wink:

YES!!

(provided I can get in enough training after classes start in September -- we'll have to chat about how to modify my fall schedule based on that)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu May 30, 2013 10:00 am

Congrats on a well-earned PB! It's clear that you really worked hard for this, both in training and on race day. Bravo!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:00 am

jes wrote:
HCcD wrote:You already know how I feel ...other than, Congratulations and "I knew that you would do great ... " 'nough said ... :shifty: :wink:

YES!!

(provided I can get in enough training after classes start in September -- we'll have to chat about how to modify my fall schedule based on that)

Andy... you can pace Jes and me! :dance: :dance:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 30, 2013 10:04 am

purdy65 wrote:
jes wrote:

YES!!

Andy... you can pace Jes and me! :dance: :dance:

Oh, Bunny-extraordinaire, think it's the other way around, Ms 1.6 second off her recent bunny gig ... you should be pacing us ... :dance: :dance: :shifty: :wink:

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 am

congrats - a really incredible accomplishment!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu May 30, 2013 11:00 am

Crushfest! Congrats on a solid 4:05. You had a phenomenal training cycle and race. I'm super proud of you! C'mon, you're already a super hero so why not throw in some itty bitty classes into the mix this fall in preparation for Hamilton? Of all the people I know, you're probably the only person who could juggle all that stuff and still have lots of free time for your boys.
Carm

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 am

congrats - that's a huge pb! as always, your dedication and hard work got you these results - very inspiring.

and congrats on the 15lbs lost - that's impressive, since you were in great shape to start with!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu May 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Congrats on a stellar PB Jes!

Your dedication and commitment are remarkable; now add mental & physical toughness and you are the real deal. It was a pleasure to follow your training cycle this winter/spring and see it all come to fruition on race day. Take this time to rest-up & recover and I eagerly look forward following your next training cycle, a sub 4hr is certainly within your grasp!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Lookie, lookie at what I found ??? :shifty: :P :wink:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Don't I look like a happy camper!

No wonder Dee thought I was having a crappy day! :lol:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:All that worry translated into immense pride knowing that the reason my friend looked like she was having a tough time was because she was digging deep and securing an awesome PB!
xo

Thank you. That means a lot :D

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 30, 2013 1:17 pm

carm wrote:Crushfest! Congrats on a solid 4:05. You had a phenomenal training cycle and race. I'm super proud of you! C'mon, you're already a super hero so why not throw in some itty bitty classes into the mix this fall in preparation for Hamilton? Of all the people I know, you're probably the only person who could juggle all that stuff and still have lots of free time for your boys.

Well, I am Super Mommy (Zack's really into superheroes these days :)

Seriously though, Hamilton in the fall will be my last for a while (assuming I can even make it that long). I firmly believe that you can have/do everything, just not all at once :lol:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 30, 2013 1:18 pm

jes wrote:Don't I look like a happy camper!

No end of race puking ??

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 30, 2013 1:26 pm

HCcD wrote:
jes wrote:Don't I look like a happy camper!

No end of race puking ??

No, no puke this year :dance: My tummy was very unhappy for a few hours afterward though.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu May 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Fabulous, well done. You worked hard and it paid off. :dance:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu May 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Congrats! You were so dedicated and definitely earned this!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”