Spirit's Erie Story

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Spirit's Erie Story

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:47 pm

It started like this: my boss and Pittsburgh colleagues begging me to come to Pittsburgh to lead their teams the second week of September. I have a long standing habit of looking for races in towns where I go on business. I hardly even think about whether I want to go in a race. I just look and sign up. So, I signed up.

Then suggested to Ken that it wasn't that far from him. He signed up.

Then, I realized that this was just 2 weeks after Flatlanders in St Louis, and my foot had degenerated so far that trying a full marathon in 6 hours would be impossible. So I switched to the half.

Then, at Flatlanders, I made the decision that there was no way my achilles would ever function painlessly al long as it was hung up on a sharp piece of bone. So I found an orthopedist on the insurance web site, got in to see him and surgery is scheduled.

Then, United Airlines did a fine job of delivering me to Pittsburgh on Saturday and I had an utterly uneventful drive to Erie. Shortly after getting to my hotel, Erin was texting me about where was I. Soon, I drove over to the race site, picked up my packet and had dinner with Ken, Erin and Erin's dad. I bought a cheap sweatshirt and pants from the Erie running club and these came in very handy in the morning.

Finally, getting back to my hotel, I wondered what the real reason for this activity was. "Why did I come here?" is what I asked my innermost self. The answer was in a book I'm reading, "The Wisdom of the Overself," and also in my favorite spiritual text, "A Course in Miracles." But it a complicated answer, all wrapped up in my life's story, my spiritual training and my place in society. It is an answer that is also in the silence of the Overself, the quietness of observing and appreciating all that is.

I slept well and got up at 3:45, which was 2:45 by my body clock. I did more spiritual study, meditation and listening for answers about why I was there.

Then I jumped in the car and went over to get Ken; whom I found powering up the road to my hotel so I had to turn around and go back to get him. Then we drove to the race and got parked. I thought it was chilly outside so we sat in the dark car and talked for at least an hour. I heard alot about Ken and his life. About 6:30, he took off for the johns and then to warm up. I continued to sit in the car for another 30 min. Finally, I too went to the john and then walked over to the start.

At the start, I did my stretching and hit the bushes for a last minute pee. I found Ken and wished him luck. He asked if my foot was ok. I probably said yes, but actually, my foot is never ok these times.

Anyway, soon the gun went off and I started jogging. It was a beautiful course. I soon found myself traveling back and forth with several people going about the same speed as me. We had fun joking about our speed, especially when we took gels. Haha, like we are really going to speed up now.

I had decided that this would be my last race or run before surgery, so might as well jog the whole thing, which is what I did. I got to see the back of the marathon winner, and about 100 other marathoners. Some of those backs and butts were…..distracting. Erin passed me too. I had been watching for him and was glad when he said hi.

About 1 mile from the finish, I saw Ken waiting for me. He jogged me in. I could hardly wait to finish.

Why was I there? To listen to Ken’s story. To high five Erin. To give the guys at work something to talk about this week. To ponder my running career. I don’t know if it is over, but it will at least need a transformation. This situation was much different from a month ago in Wyoming. I felt so triumphant then as I came down the mountain, so happy with my time. Now, I need to quietly slip away, letting go.

I think I know why I am here. But the answer is not a sound bite.

Spirit out.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Spirit's Erie Story

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Knowing you personally, talking to you at length on a number of occasions, I have tears in my eyes reading this.

I don't know how it will look in the future, but I know you will be back. I hope it will be running because I know how much joy, peace and contentment you get from it, and if it's power walking or cross training I pray you will find joy, peace and contentment in that too.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:25 pm

What a beautiful race report.
The part that made me cry was your saying that you were there to hear Ken's story...to high five Erin.
You're an amazing special person Spirit.
I can't even remember how you found RM...but I'm glad you did.
Make sure you give us your surgery date so we can surround you with the Power of Orange.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Spirit wrote:Why was I there? To listen to Ken’s story. To high five Erin. To give the guys at work something to talk about this week. To ponder my running career. I don’t know if it is over, but it will at least need a transformation. This situation was much different from a month ago in Wyoming. I felt so triumphant then as I came down the mountain, so happy with my time. Now, I need to quietly slip away, letting go.

Beautiful. :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:03 pm

La wrote:
Spirit wrote:Why was I there? To listen to Ken’s story. To high five Erin. To give the guys at work something to talk about this week. To ponder my running career. I don’t know if it is over, but it will at least need a transformation. This situation was much different from a month ago in Wyoming. I felt so triumphant then as I came down the mountain, so happy with my time. Now, I need to quietly slip away, letting go.

Beautiful. :)

Like!
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:15 am

I'm glad you were there. It made my weekend a better experience to spend some time with you on Saturday evening, and when I saw you out on the course on Sunday morning that gave me a boost when I really needed it.
Sometimes it's not about running a great time, or having a triumphant day. Maybe it was about seeing a beautiful sunrise. Maybe it was about being an encouragement to the other people you were around during the race. Maybe it was about 1 last circuit around a race course before getting your heel fixed up. There's something to be gleaned from every situation, and I think that you're one of those people who truly understands that.

I'm glad you were there.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:00 am

Good luck with surgery.

One always has to find new reasons to do the same thing over and over. I may have started running because my dad did it, and I had set some running goals, which I have since exceeded all of them. Why continue? to find new experiences and because its fun! What else would I do?

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Postby JSmitty » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Your title is anything but "Eerie". It is about a caring, unselfish human being. Your report brings emotion and warmth.

I have met you only once and hoping to met you again in the future Laura.
I hope that surgery will allow you to continue in your athletics in whatever shape that brings.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:03 am

Fantastic report Spirit!

I hope your surgery goes well. You never know - maybe it will even open another door! Another running door, another life experience.

That Ken really is a story teller, and I can imagine sitting there listening to him talk for hours. For sure!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:01 pm

What a spirit, Spirit.

Thank you for sharing.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:41 pm

I enjoyed reading your race report. Good luck with your surgery.
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:08 pm

What a wonderful recounting of your expereinces you wrote here--I'm glad you are still finding reasons. I'll be thinking of you as you go through your surgery and recovery. I, too, hope to see you in person again, some day.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:20 pm

erinmcd wrote:I'm glad you were there. It made my weekend a better experience to spend some time with you on Saturday evening, and when I saw you out on the course on Sunday morning that gave me a boost when I really needed it.
Sometimes it's not about running a great time, or having a triumphant day. Maybe it was about seeing a beautiful sunrise. Maybe it was about being an encouragement to the other people you were around during the race. Maybe it was about 1 last circuit around a race course before getting your heel fixed up. There's something to be gleaned from every situation, and I think that you're one of those people who truly understands that.

I'm glad you were there.

This report moved me immensely. I was sitting here trying to formulate a reply.

Erin said it all. Best wishes for your surgery and for the journey(s) ahead of you!! It was so good to again have a chance to see and chat. Take care.

Ken

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Wishing you the best with your Surgery. Hope to see you out there sometime.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”