Summary of my weekend- Pace Bunnies and a Kenyan

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Summary of my weekend- Pace Bunnies and a Kenyan

Postby erinmcd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:28 pm

Yesterday I finished marathon #8- the Prince Edward County Marathon, which is kind of my local race. It's about 35 mins from where I live, and is run through the beautiful countryside and villages of Prince Edward County in Eastern Ontario.

That was my 4th time running there. The first time was in 2010, when I did the marathon. In 2011 & 2012 I paced the 1/2 marathon (did the 2 hr group both times) and then this year paced the full marathon for the 3:45 group. This year I also took on responsibility for recruiting pace bunnies, so we had a much bigger pace team than previous years (including several maniacs- Andy, DoubleBellyBuster and his wife, Cupcake Girl).

I'll back up my story to Saturday. On Saturday morning we head down to Picton to meet friends for brunch and to pick up my race kit. While I was the expo, I got chatting with the lone Kenyan runner (Gilbert Kiptoo) who had come to run, and it turned out that he didn't have a place to stay lined up, so I brought him home with me. It was really interesting to be able to spend some time with a guy like that. He's not a top tier East African runner (his PB is 2:14) so he makes his living travelling all over the world hitting the smaller races and picking up $1000 here, $2000 there- anywhere he can get a payday. My kids were fascinated by his stories about what life in rural Kenya is like- seeing lions, leopards, giraffes, elephants while he's out on his training runs. After dinner we went down for a walk on the beach, and as we watched my kids running all over the place, he commented how much he would love to bring his kids to that place- makes you realize what these guys give up so that can provide for their families back home.

On Sunday morning we woke up to the sound of pouring rain outside. As we drove down to the race Gilbert said that he had been hoping for the course record (2:24) so he could get the bonus money, but with this weather it wouldn't happen. As we got closer to race time though, the rain let up, and he changed his mind. Just before the start he showed me his Garmin- he'd set it to give a pace alert at 3:22/km (5:24/ mile). The gun went off, and as he hit the first corner (about 400m into the race) he was already 100m ahead of the pack. That was the last I'd see of him for a few hours.

I was pacing the 3:45 group. I knew that with this being a smaller race (about 200 in the marathon, and 1000 in the 1/2 marathon) the pace groups would be small, so I was quite pleased to have about 5 or 6 people drop in beside me. Some were experienced runners hoping to finally BQ, others with first timers who were just hoping to finish strong- a good mix of people. Up until about the 1/2 I had most of them with me, but shortly after the 1/2, the heavens opened and it started pouring! Like, buckets of rain pouring, with a nice strong wind mixed in. Slowly the crew started to drop off, until it was just 1 lady and I. At about 30K she had to stop for a bathroom break, so her plan was to make it quick and try to catch up to me. Unfortunately I didn't see her again until after the race (she did get her BQ though!) and I was on my own. I kept a nice steady pace through the pouring rain, and as the end got close I managed to pick up a few stragglers. I did pass a few people who would look up at the pace time printed on my bunny ears, swear, and then keep plodding on.

As I came down the finish line, I can't tell you how glad I was to get to the end. Even though my pace was over 30 mins slower than the marathon I ran a few weeks ago, it was still hard. I don't care what your pace is, 42.2km is a ridiculously long way to run, and when you add in nasty weather it makes it that much worse.

As I came across the finish line the clock read 3:44:58- you can't get much closer than that!

I managed to find almost all the other pace bunnies after the race, and everyone had a great experience- lots of stories of helping runners finish their first big race, or hit a new PB, or qualify for Boston. From the sounds of it, almost everyone will be back next year to bunny again.

As for my new friend Gilbert, he did win the race by an impressive margin- he crossed the line in 2:38, 22 minutes ahead of 2nd place. He told me afterwards that he stayed on course record pace until about 30k- went through 1/2 in 1:10, 30K in 1:38, but then the rain hit and he realized that conditions weren't good for a course record, so he cruised for the last 12K to get an easy win and get his legs fresh for his next race- the Victoria Marathon, which is next weekend.

All in all it was another good marathon experience. I got to meet a new and very interesting friend, run a race, meet some more great pace bunnies, see a bunch of Maniacs (met Nick in person for the first time!) and help other runners hit their goals- not a bad way at all to spend a Sunday!
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Summary of my weekend- Pace Bunnies and a Kenyan

Postby La » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:35 pm

What a cool story! Sounds like the kind of thing Jo-Jo would do (take home a stray Kenyan :lol: ). ;)

Congrats on a perfectly paced race!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

NoQuit
Percy Williams

Postby NoQuit » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Maniacs continue to amaze me. Thanks for sharing your story and awesome job pacing especially with that downpour!

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Cool story. I have still yet to meet a transplanted Kenyan runner who isn't a gentle soul.

Well done with your bunnying. There's no such thing as an easy 42K, especially with the mental exertion of staying on an exact pace and helping others. In addition to filling up the karma jar, this experience will likely have taught you something that you can draw upon the next time you're digging deep for a PB.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm so glad you brought Gilbert home. Bless you. What an awesome opportunity for your family and I'm sure Gilbert felt right at home...you're that kind of people!
I hope La is right that I would open my home to him...or any other stray Kenyans too :D :D

Good job on the pacing...very impressed you kept on pace even though you spent the back part running on your own...well done Bunny.

on a side note I was telling a co-worker (he isn't a runner) about Pace Bunnies and had to explain the role.
His comment: "I'm not sure any guy would want to be called a Bunny...I think they'd prefer Pace Rabbit" :lol: :lol:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Perfect pacing and, as Ian said, karma jar nicely filled as well. I was driving back from Ottawa yesterday and thought of you guys out in that rain as we drove by... Good job!
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:46 pm

what an awesome, heart-warming story! :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:55 pm

How 'kool that you brought home a Keyan for the weekend .... Did he end up splurging for dinner with his winnings, at least ??? :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:

For a small town marathon race, they sure know how to treat their participants ... It was nice having a huge tent to hang out in, pre-race and the post race festivities were also quite nice ... especially, the free beer and chocolate milk .... :P
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:49 pm

Could we get the Kenyan a maniac home for Victoria?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:12 pm

I wish I had an extra room to offer a Kenyan.
IMC 2015

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:15 pm

Running Goddess wrote:I wish I had an extra room to offer a Kenyan.

A couch or an air mattress??

Yes...I confess...I've "made" people sleep on those when the house was full :lol: :lol:
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Great job on the pacing, Erin. Finally met my last year's RM Santa in person. I saw Gilbert wandering around the expo wearing his Kenya jacket and looking very lost. We had room in our rented house for a lost Kenyan, had we known. He was way, way ahead at the 32K mark, which must have been when he slowed down. That rain was something else and made me glad I was just being a Sherpa and not running!
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:40 pm

Spirit wrote:Could we get the Kenyan a maniac home for Victoria?

A great idea, though the race is putting him in a hotel while he's there.

Makes you think though- I wonder if there are other athletes in his shoes who would like to do home stays for races rather than hotels- it's a neat experience for the families who they stay with, and nice for these guys who are far from their own families to get to spend a night or 2 with a family.

I've been at lots of races before where everyone just leaves the africans alone- they just stand there by themselves before the race starts, when they'd probably be super happy to have a friendly conversation.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:45 pm

erinmcd wrote:

Makes you think though- I wonder if there are other athletes in his shoes who would like to do home stays for races rather than hotels- it's a neat experience for the families who they stay with, and nice for these guys who are far from their own families to get to spend a night or 2 with a family.

I've been at lots of races before where everyone just leaves the africans alone- they just stand there by themselves before the race starts, when they'd probably be super happy to have a friendly conversation.

Very happy to know Gilbert will have a warm bed in Victoria. :D

You bring up an interesting point. Hey...if there are any "random" Kenyans at PEC next year I would totally drive down to Picton...bring them home...and make sure they get back to the course on time the next day. :D

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
erinmcd wrote:

You bring up an interesting point. Hey...if there are any "random" Kenyans at PEC next year I would totally drive down to Picton...bring them home...and make sure they get back to the course on time the next day. :D

I sent him a message about that- I'm sure there a lots of guys in his situation who come to races and then have to spend money on a cheap hotel, when it would be great for both them and the families who would host them if a home stay could be arranged. I told him to let me know if he or any of his friends ever need a place to stay when travelling for races and I'm sure that Maniacs (didn't actually use that term- it might come across as a bit scary) could probably help find families to stay with.

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Great race report. Congrats on the great pacing. :)
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:07 pm

erinmcd wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
erinmcd wrote:

I sent him a message about that- I'm sure there a lots of guys in his situation who come to races and then have to spend money on a cheap hotel, when it would be great for both them and the families who would host them if a home stay could be arranged. I told him to let me know if he or any of his friends ever need a place to stay when travelling for races and I'm sure that Maniacs (didn't actually use that term- it might come across as a bit scary) could probably help find families to stay with.

Great minds think alike :lol: :wink:
I decided to be "proactive" and "stalked" Gilbert via FB...we've had a nice back and forth dialogue this past hour.
Pretty much told him what you've said here.
I didn't use the term "Maniac" but I did tell him that I knew you through Running Mania (I don't think that's too scarey :roll: :roll: :wink: ) and that our forum could be a very good contact for him...and other runners too.

Many of these runners run for their livelihood so they can provide for their families back home...any money that can be saved is a blessing to them.

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Man, that's really cool. I hope you stay in touch with him.

Congrats to him, but congrats to you too on an exactly perfectly paced bunny gig.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
erinmcd wrote:
Jo-Jo wrote:
erinmcd wrote:

Great minds think alike :lol: :wink:
I decided to be "proactive" and "stalked" Gilbert via FB...we've had a nice back and forth dialogue this past hour.
Pretty much told him what you've said here.
I didn't use the term "Maniac" but I did tell him that I knew you through Running Mania (I don't think that's too scarey :roll: :roll: :wink: ) and that our forum could be a very good contact for him...and other runners too.

Many of these runners run for their livelihood so they can provide for their families back home...any money that can be saved is a blessing to them.

Not too scary... unless you included a picture of Hula Girl. :lol:

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:34 pm

Great report, Erin. They were live streaming the finish line inside the Crystal Palace, and I happened to be there just as the clock hit 3:44, and stayed to watch for you. That 3:44:58 blew me away! You rock, and yes, tons of points in the karma jar for that job pacing.

Wonderful to hear about your hospitality to Gilbert. We have a spare room and could host someone for a Toronto race.

Very nice to see you again. Hope your winter training goes well and I look forward to seeing you in Beantown in a few months!
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:41 pm

Excellent pacing and report, Erin. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Superb report and excellent race!!!Q dynamite pacing job Erin! Congratulations!!

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Very cool story, thanks for sharing. Great pacing too!

Pat29
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat29 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:29 am

This is a great story on both fronts. Well done Erin!
[b]2016 Races:[b]

January - Richmond Road Races 10 km 41:06
March - St Patrick's Day 10 km 41:31
April - Minto Run for Reach half-marathon 1:28:56
May - Sporting Life 10 km - 41:10
May - Ottawa Marathon - 3:26:37
September - Army Run

My running blog: http://www.thecourageoflungs.com

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:31 am

You're a really nice guy Erin! Good on you for offering Gilbert a place to stay :D

And congrats on your awesome pace bunny gig!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”