Lisa P's Hamilton Adventure

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Lisa P's Hamilton Adventure

Postby purdy65 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:26 pm

I had a fantastic day in Hamilton today!

I've already provided the basic data:

3:56:56 good for a 30 second PB, and a BQ with a 3+ min buffer. That should be pretty solid for 2015 :D :D
A graceful fall 50 meters from the finish :? :oops:

Now I give, the rest of my story!

I chose Hamilton, because I wanted to try a smaller race with some serious BQ cred! 40% of my age group qualified last year. I liked the odds.

Some have followed my training this cycle. It went really well, and some of the things I did differently really helped I think! More back to back long runs and VERY little speedwork aside from tempo runs.I also paid more attention to recovery. I took this into my half marathon two weeks ago, and came out with a great PB! That gave me a huge confidence boost!

I also tapered far more sharply than in previous cycles. I am now convinced that my biggest problem with Scotia last year is that I was not rested enough.

The rest sort of made me feel a bit sluggish, but the legs were rarin to go!

We arrived at the finish in Hamilton at 6:30, and I quickly said good bye to my sherpa (DH :D ) and got on the bus to the start. The trip was very well organized, and there were tons of buses on the go.

I met up with Jes and Andy in the community center and we hung out until the start. It was super nice to have the company. We were also standing beside the 4hr pace punny, and I thought that would be a good place to start.

I stuck with the pace bunny for the first 3K or so, but decided that I had found my legs and was ready to go. The first half of the race is on really nice country roads along the top of the Niagara Escarpment. I love running on country roads! :D. I hit the halfway point at 1:56 A little bit behind my plan, but the nice down hill down Red Valley Rd was coming up. Problem was, the nasty headwind negated the benefit of the downhill. :evil: Bummer. I also was not as 'downhill' as I imagined it would be! It was far more gradual. :evil: :evil:

At the halfway water stop, I made a huge mistake and took a gel and gulped it down with, what I thought was water - it was Gatorade. Yuck. Fortunately, it didn't come back to haunt me. In fact I got a nice boost!

I was keeping about a 5:30 pace down Red Valley road, and then we tuned into a really nice trail! Cool! 28-32K were on this trail. I hit the 30K point at 2:44. I was beginning to feel this was in the bag. Every K I could keep my pace under 5:40 was a bonus. I was able to do this until 38K. Then I ran into real trouble. I was running, but I had lost all form and felt like I was falling over half the time. This really has never happened to me before! I really struggled until the finish with this, but happy to manage 6m/k for 38 and 39. Then I could barely move, and had to walk some to stop from falling over. I think the last to K were 6:30 or so.

Then at the finish, just after I had crossed the mat where the announcer can identify you - my legs completely buckled! I went for a tumble. A kindly gentleman gave up 45 seconds of his time to help me get up (I was in such a fog I didn't even have the presence of mind to thank him! That makes me feel terrible :( ). After a few seconds, I was able to jog to the finish, greeted by 3 medics. I told them I was fine. I'm guessing this incident cost me about a minute :( I have a bruised hand, and scraped wrist, but I'm otherwise fine

When the announcer saw me get up and finish he said "That's what's it's all about - determination" I can't say I was feeling that way - I was mad, and trying to figure out what I had done wrong! After some thought, I realized that I shouldn't be mad. My body gave out and I found a way, somehow, in the last K to finish. I gave everything, to the last inch. So after some initial embarrassment, I'm trying to make more light of it, and consider it a badge of honour. I can only explain that it happened because I had nothing left in the tank. And I mean NOTHING.

Overall assessment of the race:

LOVE the course - nicest one I've run - I can see why it's a popular BQ course. I was 15/53 in my age group, and there were numerous after me who also qualified. The speedsters show up for this one!

Organization was pretty good! I had no serious issues -except having gatorade in the same cups as water, and the volunteer not mentioning what is in it.

Conditions were clear, but cool and windy - that made for a bit harder work in spots.

Based on recent history, 3 minutes should pretty much be a lock for 2015. The plan is to go, but I'm not sure if I'll even run another marathon before then. This one took a lot out of me. More than any of my previous 7. We'll see how I recover, and how I feel.

I may pace a marathon, but certainly not race one until Boston.

I'm a very happy camper tonight (now that I've had a chance to recover a bit)!

Thanks for listening!
Last edited by purdy65 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ian
Jerome Drayton

Re: Lisa P's Hamilton Adventure

Postby ian » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:11 am

Congrats on the PB. I've previously said that being able to sprint across the finish line is a sign of a poorly-paced race, but you took things to a new level. Barring any unexpected events in Boston 2014, you should have no trouble getting into the 2015 race.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:16 am

Congratulations on another great race today, Lisa... and a BQ ta boot...

And, as others have said, you can stop all that whining now about getting slower with age nonsense... :lol: :shifty: :wink:

It was great to see you again before the start of the race...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:48 am

I swear, the "older" gals are getting faster with age!! I will not be at ANY advantage being the youngest in in our AG at the end of this year.

You really gave it everything! Congrats! Do you think maybe having more nutrition toward the end of the race might have helped?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:55 am

So thrilled for you Lisa. I agree about the rest...it's really under rated in preparing for a marathon. I'm glad it worked out for you as I knew you were capable of this!! Sorry about the fall though, and the gel with the gatorade.... Even with that you managed a fantastic race.

I definitely think that BQ-3 will get you in for 2015!

Congrats again...awesome racing.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:10 am

Way to go Lisa. You trained hard and smart and got the race you trained for (minus the fall).
Congratulations!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:38 am

Congrats on a fantastic race and BQ! Sorry about the fall, but it is amazing that you were able to get up and finish.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:20 am

Great race (except for the stumble).
:D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42 am

Congratulations! You continue to inspire with your determination and improvements.

I was really struck by how fast this field was! After about the 1:50 bunny in the half and the 4 hour bunny in the full, things really thinned out!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:43 am

Congratulations on another BQ finish. Sorry about the fall-- glad it didn't completely derail you (I've seen that happen!).

You say that 1:56 was behind your goal-- were you aiming for a 3:50 finish? Glad you still hung on even with the slow-down at the end.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:48 am

Thanks everyone. Jennifer, I was aiming for a
3:50-3:55 with a bit of a positive split.

I'm guessing the bit at the end was related to nutrition, or hydration. Is was taking water at every station, but I didn't actually always get a lot in my mouth ;). I did take all of my gels, and some sips of Gatorade.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Congrats Lisa!! Way to leave it all out there!

You did well on the trail part - I found the big dip in it really hard to navigate and I was only 12k into my race! :shock:

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:00 pm

WAY TO GO :dance:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:36 pm

purdy65 wrote:ThaJennifer, I was aiming for a
3:50-3:55 with a bit of a positive split.

End result 3:56:56 is pretty awesome in my books, not even taking into account your little stumble 50m from the finish.

Congrats on a well paced run Lisa, take this time to rest, relax and cherish your moment!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:17 pm

Way to go. That was an awesomely paced race. :)

One thing that I have been making a habit of doing in races is calling out what I need at aid stations. I figure the kids know what they have and sometimes are just tired of yelling.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:11 pm

good job....more gels.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Great job!!
IMC 2015

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:58 pm

You're definitely getting better with age. Congrats on the PB and BQ!

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:28 am

I'm so glad I didn't see you again out on the course! :D

I was keeping an eye out for you, but I was hoping not to see you --- you took off pretty quick at the start, never to be seen again. But turns out I wasn't too far behind you :D

Sorry about your fall - but I bet Joe got some good photos of it (he's mean like that :)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:56 am

Jes, I'm afraid to see the pics :oops: :oops:

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:21 am

Lisa, congrats - I KNEW you were going to have a great race! Boston 2015 awaits. :)
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:30 am

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:36 am

You just wanted a dramatic finish, right? :wink:

Congrats on the PB and BQ. Huzzah! :D
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:49 am

purdy65 wrote:At 29:15 in all of it's glory :oops: :oops:

http://photos.mysportsshooter.com/event ... 881/857/1/

on the plus side, the pictures give us the identity of the man who helped you. if you're still feeling terrible about not thanking him, he's pretty easy to find on FB! :)

congrats on a solid race!!! :dance:

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Goodness Lisa, you really did take a tumble.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Return to “Run/Race Reports”