Andy's Road Back To Hamilton

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Andy's Road Back To Hamilton

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:29 am

About a year late, but marathon #29 is finally in the books ... :P

Ran the 2013 Hamilton Road2Hope Marathon with Jes this past weekend ... the goal was to bring us home to a sub-4 hour marathon attempt, but we came, so, oh-so-close with a 4:00:44 chiptime for Jes and a 4:01:00 chiptime for me, about 50m back or so ...

We had planned and strategized our race plan over the last 6 months or so ... lots of tempo / m-p efforts on Tempo Tuesday's and respect the long runs, and used the training schedule as a guideline .... For me, it was to rebuild my running / marathon base, after a setback exactly a year ago, when both my arches collapsed (tendons, ligaments, etc.) to a point where I could barely walk without pain, let even run ... and, did not know if I would ever run again, let alone a marathon, a year later ...

Leading up to the race week(end) the training was there, I had comfortably, almost pain-free, increased my volume and intensity over the months, but was still not sure if and how the feet would hold up to 42.2K, let alone at a tempo/moderate effort ... and, indicated to Jes that I will run / pace with her as long as I can possible can, until I reach a point in the race where I would not be able to, otherwise, I would stick with her ...

On race day we met up at the Start area, along with Lisa and chatted a bit, before hitting the musical port-a-potties :shifty: :lol: :wink: :oops:

The race started on schedule, and we were off ... by the first 1K marker, we were already about 120m off with the road marker and our garmins :shock: :? ... mentioned this to Jes and she replied that it happened last year, and the course self-resolved itself by the 36-37K mark or so ... Anyways, I may have mentally lost it a bit after that, though, the sub-sequent 1K markers appeared to be bang on ... We were holding anyhere from 5:30 to 5:40 mpk for the first 10K or so, and crossed the 10K marker at just under 57minutes or so ...

At about the 11-12K or so, I had to take a port-a-potty break, and left Jes with the 4 hour pace bunny, until I caught up with her … As it turned out, it took me longer than I had hoped, as I had to wait for the previous person to leave … And, by the time that I started again, Jes was about 200m or so ahead of me, or so I thought, as I was able to spot the 4 hour bunny w/ballons … Took me about a half km to catch the bunny, then realized that she was not there … a bit of me thought that I may have passed me, but when I noticed that he had fallen to about 6:00 mpk, I realized that Jes may have passed him and continued moving forward … About another 300m or so, I finally caught up to her at about the 13-14K mark or so … and, soon after, we would pass the start/finish line :shock:

Things were pretty uneventful, though, as we started down Centennial Pkwy, it was a slight downhill feeling to it, for a few km's and by the time we hit the Red Hill Valley Parkway, I had to make another pitstop :oops: at the waterstation, just before the downhill started …Again, took a bit longer than I had hoped, as I had to wait again … When I started running again, I could see Jes about 300-400m ahead of me, and looking quite comfortably and as much as I wanted to chase her down, I did not want to risk blowing up and just held on to a nice and steady effort, without crushing the quads and legs, as I may have done in my previous Hamilton races … In the end, I think that it was a good idea, as it allowed both of us to run down the hill at our own comfort levels …. I never did catch her ….

Once we exited the Pkwy and onto the Trails, I was within 10m from her, but continued to stay back … and, eventually, she took a walk break to allow me to catch up to her, and I assume that was a strategic decision on her part … :) We continued running together and by the time we hit the 30-31K mark or so, we were finally back on the road again, I believe it was the Van Wagners Beach Road (you know, the road leading up to the bridge in ATB ?? :think: :think: ) ... I noticed that Jes was starting to hurt a bit, perhaps it was what she said to me, "I'm hurting … " :P but, she was still moving and we were still holding pace … We hit the 32K mark in 2:58:xx and this was where I said to her that, as long as we can maintain a sub-6 minute pace for the final 10K, we should be good ….

At the 35K mark, just as we were turning off the road and, into the waterfront path, we took a strategic walk break, popped some tylenol … in hindsight, perhaps, we took a wee bit too long of a walk break, but I think it was worth it, as the legs (at least mine) were starting to cramp up a tab … Anyhoo, we were off again and able to main a 5:40-5:45mpk, though starting to drift into the 5:50-:6:00mpk for a tad …. I took another strategic walk break at the 40K mark, and left Jes to go on her own, as I felt that I would not be able to hold a sub 5:30-5:40 pace over the final 2K or so … took a short 10-15 second walk break and was left in her dust, as she was about 40-50m ahead of me… Once I started running again, I was able to maintain about a 5:45mpk pace, but she was running a bit faster, and I just could not to risk pushing it so far from the finish line, again, as my first marathon in 18 months, I had a bit of uncertainty to even making it at this point … Anyways, as we were under the 500m mark to go, I kept checking my garmin and looking at Jes, then noticed that she still had about another 200m to go on the road, as the course ran about 42.4k on the garmin … :( … I could see her push on the home stretch and pretty well collapsed in the arms of her DH, Joe, while I came through behind her a few seconds after …. My time was 4:01:00, while Jes finished in 4:00:44 … another 5+ minute PB for her and a 13m course PB from 2012 ….

I the end, I gave it my best effort to bring her home under 4 hours, but missed it by that much … Though, considering where I was "at" a year ago, I am still quite happy with how I ran this race …

Eta: Not sure if I mentioned this to Jes or not, but there were several occasions on the course, about the 10K mark or so and, around the 17-18K mark when I started to feel a bit of rusty legs, but actually running down the Pkwy helped to loosen things up … And, for me, in my previous 2 experiences in the Hamilton Marathon, I was holding strong until the final 10-12K along the Beach Road and Waterfront path, where I did more walking than running … and, this year, I was able to run though it and was a mission to maintain pace/effort, as long as I could ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Re: Andy's Road Back To Hamilton

Postby purdy65 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:50 am

Aww Andy.

Welcome back to the marathon. Sounds like a perfectly executed return, so that you didn't blow up, and you were able to help Jes. Fantastic job!

It was great to see you and Jes there. :D
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:51 am

Congratulations to you both...nicely done. It's been a tough year for you for sure and it's amazing to see how far you've come. I think you ran a smart race (year), and hopefully you have great races at Disney!!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:10 am

Way to go Andy.
Congratulations Jes.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:55 am

Congratulations on your come back Marathon Andy!! You rock :dance:

:ymhug:

[and since this sounds like a double race-report - two for one! - Congratulations Jes!!!]
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:28 am

Welcome back to racing Andy, good job on pushing through and getting it done.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:42 am

Good job on the race

but shame on you for popping tylenol 35k into a 42k race. No sense in risking your kidneys, and acetaminophin wouldn't help anyway.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:15 am

Nice race report, Andy-- but what's with all the potty stops? :)

Good on you and Jesse for getting it done in 4 hours. Impressive PB for Jesse after a strong training cycle, and a nice comeback marathon for you. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:22 am

Jwolf wrote:Nice race report, Andy-- but what's with all the potty stops? :)

Good on you and Jesse for getting it done in 4 hours. Impressive PB for Jesse after a strong training cycle, and a nice comeback marathon for you. :)

Let's just say that Jes did her job in reminding me to hydrate and finish up my bottle of gatorade in the first hour / 10K or so ... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :oops: :oops:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:33 am

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:58 pm

Congrats to your return to marathoning Andy and congrats on another PB Jes! Great report!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:46 pm

Yay! I don't have to write a race report!! Excellent!!!

Andy covered the highlights --I'll add a few more thoughts later.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:13 pm

Robinandamelia wrote:Congratulations to you both...nicely done. It's been a tough year for you for sure and it's amazing to see how far you've come. I think you ran a smart race (year), and hopefully you have great races at Disney!!

Thanks Robin,

I was fortunate enough to get a number of pace bunny gigs this year, even though I was not able to race them full out, it still allowed me to focus on my pacing and staying within my means and participate in these event without having to spend $$ just to run it, as a training effort ... Hopefully, next year, I will be able to snare some of these pacing gigs again ... :P ... and, in particular, over the past couple of months leading up to Hamilton, I was able to practice my paces at both the PEC and 9-Run-Run, in particular ....

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:17 pm

Way to go, Bunny! Though it sounds like Jes didn't really need you on the day. ;)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Awesome Andy -- glad to see that you were able to get out and do what you love doing! :D
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:45 pm

La wrote:Way to go, Bunny! Though it sounds like Jes didn't really need you on the day. ;)

Yeah, I know... :( but, I was there to hold her water bottle a couple of times, however... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :oops:

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Nicely done!! Glad everything went well and how are you feeling today??
IMC 2015

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:09 pm

HCcD wrote:
La wrote:Way to go, Bunny! Though it sounds like Jes didn't really need you on the day. ;)

Yeah, I know... :( but, I was there to hold her water bottle a couple of times, however... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :oops:

Way to take it for the team Andy!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:12 pm

HCcD wrote:

Yeah, that was really handy :D

But seriously, it was a huge mental boost to have a friend with me from km 32-38. Yeah, I could have done it by myself, but that's the part I usually struggle with (who doesn't!) so it was a lot less lonely :)
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Nicholas
Site Admin

Postby Nicholas » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:04 pm

Nice comeback, Andy. Great PB, Jes. Good race all around...
Nicholas

Events in 2018
Walking, Yoga, Soccer scrimmages and whatever else I can do
Hip replacement on September 10....now doing a variation of the None to Run plan

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:30 am

Glad you were able to get back to the Marathon!
I'm sure there will be lots of bunny gigs in 2014 waiting for you! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:30 am

Great come back Andy!!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 am

Great running Andy, glad your foot held up.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:32 pm

:clap:

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Dynamite report and great effort, Andy! Congratulations!! :)

Return to “Run/Race Reports”