Stampie's 15K at Birch Bay

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Stampie's 15K at Birch Bay

Postby Stampie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:28 pm

Coles/Cliff Notes Version:
Garmin stats: 1:22:46; 15K on the mark and 5:31/K average pace. My splits are based on this time
Official Time: 1:22:43 (Chip, no Gun time posted)
Overall: 77/261
Age group: 8/13

Full Version:
This race was in Birch Bay, just over the border in Blaine, WA, a 45min drive from my house. A group of us from the Bonsor Breakfast Club signed up for this event as many were training for the BMO Marathon (half & full). I was able to hitch a ride with Marymac (Thanks again for doing this Mary!). Mary was prompt on picking me up and the others and we were over the border and at the race start by 7:30am, for an 8:30 start. It certainly was cooler in Birch Bay and the wind was noticeable, that made it hard to decide how to dress for the race. In the end I decided to go with my long-sleeved T and my Canada t-shirt on top. A wise choice in the end! If I wore my pullover I would have cooked. We had a mixed bag thrown at us in the race; blue cloudy skies, overcast, sun, rain and wind. I took a gel just before the start of the race.

The plan for me was to have a fun race and try my desired race pace for next week in the first 10K. My plan was to run the first 8-10K at 5:20-5:25/k and then back off on the last 5K to save myself for next week and the fact that I still had my clinic run on Sunday (16K). The race also has a 5K and a 30K race and all disciplines started at the same time. I seeded myself fairly well and I was the second wave to go. The first 5K was rather uneventful. We hit the 5K mark just as we entered the State Park. My pace felt good and I was well within the range of where I wanted to be. I hit the 5K mark at 26:22 (my plan was to be around 26:40-27:00) and I was well within pace.

The second third went well and I started to feel warmed up and hitting my groove. Shortly before the 6K mark we started to see the leaders coming back and shortly after I saw RobW; he was looking strong and great. We hit the turnaround and headed back out of the park. I then kept my eyes peeled for everyone. I first saw Jane, who eventually passed me at about 12.5K (more to come on this). I then saw Marymac and the rest of the crew running the 15K. Finally I saw the crew that was running the 30K and right behind them was Jennifer, who was looking strong with a huge smile on her face. We headed out of the park and back by the water. This is where the fun began. It started to lightly drizzle, but I was keeping my pace. I walked thru the next water station and took a gel. I hit the 10K mark at 53:45; completing this 5K leg in 27:23. Once again my plan for this segment was the same as the first 5K, so I was only slightly over my desired pace and overall right on track.

The last 5K was a little harder, partly due to the weather and mentally. At the 12K mark you can see the finish area, but unfortunately we still had 3K to go. That was three well-earned Km’s. As planned I dropped my pace slightly and was averaging about 5:40-5:50/K in the last 5K. At about 12.5K Jane had caught up to me and passed me. We were both feeling good at this point. It took some restraint on my part to hold back and not keep up with her. At this point the rain was a little heavier and we had one heck of a tail wind. I figured to take advantage of that and ride it. We hit the final turnaround and head back to the finish. Unfortunately that tailwind turned out to be one heck of a head wind. I still had J within my sights; I put the brim of my cap down and trudged on. Just prior to the turnaround this lady passed me and then slowed down as she hit the headwind. She was obviously struggling with the wind. I told her to fall behind me and I’ll block for her, as I picked up my effort and trudged along. I finally heard her say she could not keep up. I saw Marymac and a few others just before I started the final ascent to the finish. With 500M to go we were out of the wind, but we had a short steep hill to contend with. Once I reached the top and turned the corner the finish was within grasp. I dug deep and poured it on for the last 100m. I crossed the mat at 1:22:46 per my Garmin (1:22:43 chip). I did the final 5K in 29:01 and ironically my last Km was also my slowest and hardest at 6:05.

After cheering in the other 15K runners and getting changed, we all waited for the 30K runners. Unfortunately I just missed RobW come in. I was just walking back to the finish to watch him come in and I heard him get called in. We went to the top of the hill and cheered the rest of the gang in. I saw one of the Bonsor guys doing the 30K come in and shortly behind him was Jennifer. I greeted her at the top and help pace her into the finish. Jwolf looked very strong coming in to the finish. I helped to run in the rest of the Bonsor crew that was still out there finishing the 30K race. After we went over to a local Mexican restaurant in nearby Ferndale for a bite to eat; well more like a gorging. The servings were ridiculously large. I had the breakfast burrito that could easily feed two adults. Needless to say the beer went down mighty fine.

Conclusion:
It was a fun race and well organized. And the question I always ask myself, would I do this event again? And my answer is very simple... YES!
Last edited by Stampie on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Stampie's 15K at Birch Bay

Postby Jwolf » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:27 pm

Great race, Bryan. :) It was fun seeing you on the course and cheering with the Bonsor crew after you guys finished.
You must have finished with some good confidence in your training for next week's race.

p.s. I also almost missed RobW coming in the first year he did the 30K; that guy is speedy. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Great race and report, Bryan! Congratulations!!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24 pm

Good work Bryan!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:55 pm

And The Stamper stamps on...The Stamper stamps on!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:25 pm

Well done Bryan!!
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:56 pm

You sound so happy and positive in your report. Good stuff! :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:24 pm

Nicely done Bryan. Sounds like you're ready for a strong half marathon next week!

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:50 am

great race and great result, congrats!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:33 am

Sounds like fun. Congrats on a great race.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:40 am

Great report, and congrats on a well-run race. It was so nice of you to pace Jenn in on her last few hundred meters. I look forward to the day I can meet you at a race!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:43 pm

Thanks everyone, the race was a blast and has made me very hopefully and confident for my half on Sunday.

RobW wrote:Nicely done Bryan. Sounds like you're ready for a strong half marathon next week!

I hope you just did not jinx that for me. :lol:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:11 pm

Saw your journal entry, but missed this longer version. Congrats on good race &fun report :)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Return to “Run/Race Reports”