Sulphur Springs 50 Miler

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Sulphur Springs 50 Miler

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon May 26, 2014 8:45 am

Ugh I typed my whole report and then the system froze me out and I lost it...so here I go again.

On Saturday I ran my first 50 miler. I got up at 3:00 am and made the drive to Ancaster for a 6:00 start. The morning was great! My friend Oliver and his two kids decided to come out and support me (I think he was worried about me lol) which was terrific.

I had all my supplies including a coleman water jug that I put ice in. It was great as I had cold water for the whole race to make my Nuun. I don't use salt caps so the Nuun was instead (electrolytes without the sugar...awesome stuff). I used that the whole race (one or two bottles a loop), ate 1/2 a PB&J sandwich after each loop, cliff bloks (1 packge per loop) and ate cookies (coconut caramel). I didn't take much from aid stations except a date square at the last station before the finish.

Things were going great. I finished the first loop in 2:21:44 and the 2nd in 2:21:09 (how's that for pacing). After the 2nd loop my quads were a bit sore but not bad. During the 3rd loop I was chatting with a man doing the 100 miler and I mentioned this. He was quick to tell me it was because I was going numb lol. About 3K out from the end of the 3rd loop (not sure exactly) disaster struck. I was on the back and there were people going out. I have a hard time watching my footing and people and typically will stop and pull over until they pass. This time I was watching them and still going and tripped on a root and took flight. I knew it would be bad. I was protecting my head/teeth and new prescription glasses which I did, but crashed hard. Wripped a whole in my new CW-X compression tights that I just bought in Boston (and broke the watch on my right arm). I almost immediately had a large goose egg on my left arm amongs the scrapes, cuts and dirt. My left leg had a big scrape on it and was hurting a bit. A few people came to my aid but I wanted to continue. Took a small break and then continued. Managed to finish the 3rd loop in 2:31:19 even with the fall.

At that time, we thought it best if Oliver did the last loop with me just in case (50 milers allowed pacers in last lap). It was a great idea. I changed my clothes (in the tent, modesty be gone), replenished my supplies and shook out the cobwebs and went back out to finish the last loop.

It didn't start out too bad but shortly the downhills were really hurting my left leg where the scrape was. It hurt like heck to go down the hills. I started compensating and that made other things hurt. Surprisingly the arm didn't hurt to bad and by the end of the 4th loop the swelling had gone down a bit. I think the stress of the fall shook me up as I started having gastro-intestinal problems as well. Three very lengthy port-o-potty stops and things just weren't feeling good. I did a lot of walking this loop and was really wanting to be done.

I crossed the finish line in tears at 10:46:12. I wasn't feeling good at all...everything hurt. Also, I won't lie, it was hard to watch all those yellow bibs passing me towards the end. I don't think It would have mattered as much had I not had such a great first 2 3/4 loops! I'm still happy with the overall result and even more happy that I finished. I think had I had that fall in the 2nd loop, and done the 3rd I wouldn't have been able to do the 4th.

I saw a lot of Runningmaniacs as well. Chris and Christa Baker (congrats to Chris on his frist 100 miler). Christa was so supportive the many times I saw her on course, before and after. I saw Ron on course as well a couple of times as well as Chris McPeake. But best of all was seeing Ken at the end of my second loop standing on the hill as I came up. I got a super big hug and lots of support...thanks Ken!

Congrats to Sylvie's coach Laura who won overall 100 and broke her own course record by over an hour...Under 18 hours to run 100 miles...crazy!

Today things are pretty sore mostly where I'm injured. My leg is bruising now almost the whole of my left thigh. My arm is bruised and sore and scraped up pretty bad. My quads are better than yesterday but getting off seats (and other things you sit on) a challenge.

It's a beautiful course and great volunteers. Especially the ones that cleaned up my wounds after the race (as the paramedics left before I finished the 4th loop). I'll definitely be back :)

Couldn't make my photos smaller :(
Last edited by Robinandamelia on Mon May 26, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Sulphur Springs 50 Miler

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 26, 2014 9:13 am

You are amazing! 8)
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon May 26, 2014 9:29 am

Ouch !!!

Congratulations, on completing your first 50-miler, Robin .. :dance: :dance:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon May 26, 2014 9:39 am

Huge congrats! What an amazing accomplishment. You are awesome. :)

Rest up and heal up.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon May 26, 2014 9:43 am

Good job.
Sorry about the tumble. Tripping hazards have taken me out of the game.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jogger Barbie
Bill Crothers

Postby Jogger Barbie » Mon May 26, 2014 10:32 am

Wow, you are one majorly tough competitor!!! So sorry to hear about the fall, but huge congrats on getting back out there and finishing. You rock. :)
Jacqueline
--------------
19 marathons (3:24:56), 9 30 km ATBs (2:21:33), 2 Midsummer 30 km (2:22:07), 15 half marathons (1:33:53), 5 10 Ks (44:17), 1 5K (22:59), 1 50 K (4:29:22)
2015: London :)
2016: Boston, followed by injury rehab and then ???

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon May 26, 2014 1:12 pm

I was thinking about you all day Saturday and was so happy to hear when you finished. So sorry to hear about your fall-- you manged to recover pretty well in spite of it! I would have expected even more of a loss of time, but you just kept on chugging.

You are one strong lady and a true inspiration for me. I thought about your perseverance and determination yesterday when I was struggling on my run.

Congratulations again, Robin.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon May 26, 2014 2:08 pm

Wow! Great finish. I love the determination you show in your pictures.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon May 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Wow! Ultra race reports always come with fantastic stories! I'm so glad you finished, but I knew you would. Congratulations!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

grimskot
Bill Crothers

Postby grimskot » Mon May 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Yowza. Bad fall, yet you still finished. Impressive! Congratulations :)
Plan for 2016:
Jun 25: St. Malo Triathlon - Sprint - done
Jul 16: Morden Triathlon - Sprint - done

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon May 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Robin, I said it before but it bears repeating. You are not only a talented runner but you are also one tough lady. It is a pleasure and inspirational to know you. Get well soon!! Hugs!! :)

ngcaper
Tom Longboat

Postby ngcaper » Mon May 26, 2014 5:20 pm

That is friggin awesome!!! Way to show that trail what your made of, and glad nothing is broken.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems.

2015 Races:
The Limberlost Challenge 56k
Dam Wakley Damn 55k
I2P Run 50k
Grand 2 Grand 273k

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Mon May 26, 2014 7:01 pm

Congratulations! Way to battle through after your bad fall on your debut 50 miler!

cbaker1
Tom Longboat

Postby cbaker1 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:09 pm

Great job on your finish. Christa told me about your fall afterwards. Glad you were able to finish and recovering. You had some great lap times on such a hot day. Don't tell everyone how great Sulphur is or it will start selling out even earlier!!!

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon May 26, 2014 11:33 pm

HCcD wrote:Ouch !!!

Congratulations, on completing your first 50-miler, Robin .. :dance: :dance:

+1

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Tue May 27, 2014 10:39 am

You continue to be my running inspiration! Congrats on a great first 50miler!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

OLRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby OLRunner » Tue May 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Congratulations on toughing it out after your fall and finishing your first 50M!
I think 10:46 is a great time for a first 50M. Hope you heal up quickly.
"We still got a long way to go" Alice Cooper
"I don't wanna stop" Ozzy Osbourne

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Tue May 27, 2014 11:54 pm

Way to tough it out, that's a heck of a race completed in full-on, gut-it-out manner. Congrats.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Wed May 28, 2014 11:54 am

Wow Robin- you are one tough cookie.
Congratulations and well done.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed May 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Yikes! That is some major road rash, but there you are, smiling! Fifty whole miles--what a great accomplishment, congratulations!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Thu May 29, 2014 7:49 am

Thanks everyone. It's been a few days and I'm still pretty sore, though quads are definitely improving. The arm is still pretty sore/swollen and the leg is all kinds of colours/swollen but healing well. I have an appointment with my chiropractor tomorrow and will get her to check it all out. I look forward to returning to Sulphur next year and trying to stay on my feet the whole way!

runJrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runJrun » Thu May 29, 2014 11:08 am

You are my hero!! Those pictures prove how determined you are. I am so happy you got to finish this race after quite the fall! Rest up and heal.
Jocelyn

I run because it's my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I walk out the door, I know why I'm going where I'm going and I'm already focused on that special place where I find my peace and solitude. Running, to me, is more than just a physical exercise...it's a consistent reward for victory!
- Sasha Azevedo

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Fri May 30, 2014 7:15 am

Congrats!
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:00 am

Robinandamelia wrote:Thanks everyone. It's been a few days and I'm still pretty sore, though quads are definitely improving. The arm is still pretty sore/swollen and the leg is all kinds of colours/swollen but healing well. I have an appointment with my chiropractor tomorrow and will get her to check it all out. I look forward to returning to Sulphur next year and trying to stay on my feet the whole way!

Great job, Robin -- you are such a strong, determined Lady! So Sulphur again next year, eh??!! Hmmmmm...... :think:
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:15 am

After completing 50 K on a relatively flat and easy road course, my mind still cannot comprehend being able to run 50 miles on track. I once did a trail half marathon and although I ran it aggressively it was not full out and I felt as bad after that as after any marathon I had completed. So 50 miles on trails in my mind is like 100 K on the road and so given what I went through to do 50 K, I would be thrilled if I could complete 50 miles and then complete it as fast as you did, never mind what you had to overcome. I do appreciate your honesty because it has only reaffirmed that marathons are quite enough distance for me so I am in awe.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”