Jes beats the bunny!

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
jes
Jerome Drayton

Jes beats the bunny!

Postby jes » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:43 am

The 1:50 bunny, that is!

With qualifying for Boston as my long-term goal, getting under 1:50 in the half was the next step in my slow build to qualifying. I ran a 1 min PB of 1:52:30 in April, and had a disastrous attempt in May. My training over the last 4 months has been going really well, with a bit less volume than previous cycles but a lot of quality runs.

The goal for PEC was to stay with Andy Bunny for a 1:50 finish. Andy mentioned a few times that he expected me to finish ahead of him, but I thought he was being a bit optimistic. The race was pretty uneventful. Andy set a consistent pace of about 5:10 min/km to give bit of a buffer in case the course was long, and I stayed with him easily until about 17k. I got a bit ahead of him going up a hill around 17k, and by the time I realized he wasn't just behind me, I had to make a decision to either slow to wait for him or to go ahead with 2 guys who had moved ahead of the group. I went with them, figuring that if I blew up, Andy would pick me up on the way by and make me finish ;) I ran km 18 and 19 at about 5:00 min/km and km 20 and 21 at about 4:50 min/km. I finished strong and happy :D

Final time: 1:47:59
Category: 11/77

I'm beyond ecstatic with this result. My A goal was 1:50, so this was an A++ :dance:

Now to figure out how to pace Hamilton full in a month :think:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Jes beats the bunny!

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:47 am

Congratulations, again, on another solid and strong effort, Jes ... Had I known that you were planning on running that strong, I would have picked up the 1:45 Pace Bunny Bib at the Expo ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

I noticed that you started to get ahead of me and the rest of the 1:50 group, as you topped the 17K mark, and realized that once you were about 10m ahead of me, that you were looking strong and though I wanted to pick up the pace to catch up with you, I did not think that it would be a good idea, for the rest that had stayed with me to that point ... though, they would have been more than happy to come in well under their respective 1:50 goal .. Ha !!!

Having asked about Hamilton, just do what has worked in the past .... Keep your head down, follow Andy and don't whine ... Easy Peasy .... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :P
Last edited by HCcD on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:48 am

HCcD wrote:Congratulations, again, on another solid and strong effort, Jes ... Had I known that you were planning on running that strong, I would have picked up the 1:45 Pace Bunny Bib at the Expo ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

Having asked about Hamilton, just do what has worked in the past .... Keep your head down, follow Andy and don't whine ... Easy Peasy .... :shifty: :lol: :wink: :P

1:45 might have been too much. I think my strong finish was a result of a conservative start.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:51 am

jes wrote:
HCcD wrote:Congratulations, again, on another solid and strong effort, Jes ... Had I known that you were planning on running that strong, I would have picked up the 1:45 Pace Bunny Bib at the Expo ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

1:45 might have been too much. I think my strong finish was a result of a conservative start.

I might add, as well, that you definitely took advantage of using the Bunny to protect you from the headwind and 35kph gusts of wind, at time, by moving in and around and behind ... Though, the other runners may have been a bit jealous, when the Bunny fed you some Honey Stinger Chews on the course, and did not offer any to them ... Ha !!! :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:52 am

I love watching your progress, Jes! It's really inspiring! Congrats on another great race!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:58 am

Jes,

For the past few years, you have proven how much work and dedication it takes to achieve these times - you've been so consistent and I admire your commitment to this - and I'm very stoked for you with your results - I remember when you ran 5hr+ marathons! (you were in my company! LOL!) - good going girl! You can't just wish it, you have to work for it - and you're doing it - no excuses. (and given me a glimpse of how much work it is....wowwsa)

All the best in Hamilton - will be cheering for you. Go get Boston.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:01 am

CinC wrote:Jes,

For the past few years, you have proven how much work and dedication it takes to achieve these times - you've been so consistent and I admire your commitment to this - and I'm very stoked for you with your results - I remember when you ran 5hr+ marathons! (you were in my company! LOL!) - good going girl! You can't just wish it, you have to work for it - and you're doing it - no excuses. (and given me a glimpse of how much work it is....wowwsa)

All the best in Hamilton - will be cheering for you. Go get Boston.

Thank you!!

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to qualify for Boston this year...I still have about 21 min to take off my current time (so more like 23 min with a bit of a buffer). I'm *thinking* about trying for 3:50ish this fall...Boston is a 2015 or 2016 goal :)

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:24 am

Jes, that's awesome! Congratulations again.

I didn't realize you were staying with Andy at the beginning-- to gain almost 2 minutes on him in the last 4K is HUGE!! I'd love to see those splits. You looked so strong in your picture.

Good luck in your Boston quest.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:29 am

Jwolf wrote:Jes, that's awesome! Congratulations again.

I didn't realize you were staying with Andy at the beginning-- to gain almost 2 minutes on him in the last 4K is HUGE!! I'd love to see those splits. You looked so strong in your picture.

Being a Pace Bunny is a lonely life, Jen ... they almost always leave you when they are done with you, towards the end, as they should ... :shifty: :wink:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:46 am

I haven't downloaded the splits yet. Andy must have had a bit of a buffer and slowed down a bit after we split. I think I probably gained 1:30 in the last 4k... Still :dance: :dance:

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:54 am

jes wrote:

I haven't downloaded the splits yet. Andy must have had a bit of a buffer and slowed down a bit after we split. I think I probably gained 1:30 in the last 4k... Still :dance: :dance:

If you do the math, we were averaging approx 5:08-5:10 pretty consistently, that is 3-5 seconds per km x17K so buffer, approximately a 51-60 second buffer ... Somehow, my garmin was about 100m longer than Jes' Garmin, but, she was also running on a shorter tangent than I ... My last few km's were around 5:13 to 5:20 mpk range, as I was attempting to allow the stragglers to catch up with me, after the hill at 16K mark .... so, if you did the math, Jes was approx 15-30 seconds faster per km than I was over the final 4K, so it all adds up .. :)

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:15 am

First off Jes, congrats on a well pace race! Sorry that PB is not huge, but rather epic! You took 4:30min off your old mark. Umm, yeah I would say you are having a great training cycle. Goes to prove That a little hard work can go a long way.

I’ll echo Jennifer’s request as well.
Jwolf wrote:I'd love to see those splits.

Base on Sportstats you also had a huge negative split as well, which is outstanding in itself too!

BTW, what is it like to having Andy eating your dust? :lol: Soon, the pupil will be the teacher and vice versa.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:18 am

Stampie wrote:First off Jes, congrats on a well pace race! Sorry that PB is not huge, but rather epic! You took 4:30min off your old mark. Umm, yeah I would say you are having a great training cycle. Goes to prove That a little hard work can go a long way.

I’ll echo Jennifer’s request as well.
Jwolf wrote:I'd love to see those splits.

Base on Sportstats you also had a huge negative split as well, which is outstanding in itself too!

BTW, what is it like to having Andy eating your dust? :lol: Soon, the pupil will be the teacher and vice versa.

According, to Sportstats ... we hit the 11K mark in 56:18, and you ran the final 10K in 51:42, while I completed it in 53:30 ..

And, that has been the story of my life, over the past few years, Stampie ... getting clipped by Jes in the end ... as it should be ... :shifty: :lol: :wink:

eta: Interesting thing on the Sportstats results, to see the number of runners hanging in the group at the 11K split, then, seeing the results/numbers at the end, with most of them way ahead of my, and 2 that ended up staying with me, and a couple just behind me, at the end ...

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:43 am

HCcD wrote:According, to Sportstats ... we hit the 11K mark in 56:18, and you ran the final 10K in 51:42, while I completed it in 53:30 ..

One could argue that your PB was made up in the last half, with a 4:36 negative split.

4:36min negative split and a 4:31min PB... Hmmm.... Coincidence? :shifty: Like I said earlier, these are epic results Jes, congrats!

Yes, I’m the pseudo bean counter. :lol:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:49 am

Stampie wrote:
HCcD wrote:According, to Sportstats ... we hit the 11K mark in 56:18, and you ran the final 10K in 51:42, while I completed it in 53:30 ..

One could argue that your PB was made up in the last half, with a 4:36 negative split.

4:36min negative split and a 4:31min PB... Hmmm.... Coincidence? :shifty: Like I said earlier, these are epic results Jes, congrats!

Yes, I’m the pseudo bean counter. :lol:

Huh ?? Mr Bean, did you not notice that the first split was at 11K mark (I assume 20miler mark for marathoners) and the second split was only 10K (err, 10.1K or 10.2K) ??? :roll: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:14 am

So glad you posted a report - would love to see the splits when you've downloaded them. I was so happy to see your results on Sunday - just fabulous!! Congratulations on such a strong, smart race!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:47 am

Congratulations, what a great result....and a HUGE PB. Great job out there for sure. Very nice to finally meet you as well :)

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:57 am

Nice job Jes. Hope the bunny isn't hurt by your "beating" him. :lol:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:13 pm

Spirit wrote:Nice job Jes. Hope the bunny isn't hurt by your "beating" him. :lol:

The Bunny has already secured the 1:45 gig, from the Bunny Master, for next year ... :twisted: :twisted: :shifty: :P :wink:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:35 pm

I echo what Carla said... you've worked very hard on a consistent basis for this, and it's certainly paid off! Well done! :clap:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:22 pm

Great job - you should be very proud of your hard work and hard-earned success!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:23 pm

Congratulations Jes! That is awesome! Totally sounds like you had a bit more in you.

I can't wait to see you blast that 4hr mark in Hamilton (I think you are doing it again right?)!

I'll be there cheering this year - not running.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:34 pm

HCcD wrote:
Spirit wrote:Nice job Jes. Hope the bunny isn't hurt by your "beating" him. :lol:

The Bunny has already secured the 1:45 gig, from the Bunny Master, for next year ... :twisted: :twisted: :shifty: :P :wink:

:lol:
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:16 pm

Great job Jes! Another example of how hard work is paying off. You've just inspired me to work harder.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:06 pm

La wrote:I echo what Carla said... you've worked very hard on a consistent basis for this, and it's certainly paid off! Well done! :clap:

Yep...you've worked hard and earned all your PB's...including this one. :D
It was great seeing you and Joe at PEC
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Return to “Run/Race Reports”