Cape to Cabot 2014

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Marg
Site Admin

Cape to Cabot 2014

Postby Marg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi, um remember me? :shifty: I know I barely post here but I was asked to do a race report for this race so here goes, this is for you Jo-Jo (and for anyone else who is interested on how this whole party went!)
hmmm pictures won't load... I'll play around with it and try again! Or you can view them on FB

As I said on Facebook, Tornado Marg vs Hurricane Gonzalo... we both got a piece of each other in the end.

Cape to Cabot 2014- race report
The stats: 20km done in 2:22
That's NL slate.

I learned of this race from a friend from NL over dinner quite a while ago and it piqued my curiosity. Having traveled to St. John's for work a couple times, it is a town that I have a soft spot for. The rugged landscape, the ocean, the people, are all amazing.
So fast forward a year and I lucked into a very limited registration via a site that crashed with the onslaught of anxious racers.

Training was ok but just adequate. I did hills but it's hard to prep in ottawa for what awaits you in NL. I took a slight hit in my training when I ran into a medical setback in September that prevented me from racing the army half or doing any running for a couple weeks just as I should have been hitting peak training. But whatever, I bounced back and got back at it.

Then the news of Gonzalo started to hit the news and the fact that it will landfall in NL on the weekend of the race. Hurricanes are a crapshoot as they can change course pretty quickly. My investment was made for this weekend though, and if a plane would get us there, I was certain we were going. So we arrived in St. John's and the race organizers were great. They kept us up to date with ongoing emails and tweets and declared the race would be decided at 5am the morning of.

We toured around on Saturday and it was literally the calm before the storm with very mild temps. We drove our rental car out along the race route to Cape Spear. Mario was a little shocked at the course and its massive hills and couldn't believe this was what we were running. For a moment, neither could I. I literally felt a wave of panic hit me but I knew at 20km there would be no worry of getting it done, it just wouldn't be pretty.

As we walked around Cape Spear for a while, we could see the swells start to slowly build as the storm approached in the distance. Cape Spear is the most easterly point on the continent. I love it there to hear the roaring waves crash against the rocks.
The rain and wind picked up and we headed back. After a quiet dinner I hit the sack early, not knowing what to expect.

So I laid in bed sleepless, listening to the pounding rain and wind until 5am finally came and I saw the news: C2C is a GO! The forecast was showing a rough start but progressively clearing after the race start.
51mm of rain fell between 6:30 & 8:30 am. I reluctantly got on the shuttle at 7am, wide-eyed, wondering how this was going to pan out. The chatter on the bus was vivid and the locals said it was definitely the worst weather ever for this race.

We arrived at Cape Spear with minutes to spare so a quick potty break and I ran through the torrential rain to drop my bag and join the small group of runners bouncing around trying to stay warm. I was drenched to the bone within seconds by the horizontal rain.
450 registered but 100 of them didn't show up; we were 357 in total. I wondered if I should have been one of those 100.

Before we headed out the race director indicated we may not be able to finish the climb to signal hill due to the wind. I was sad and happy all at once. Lol. We'd learn later it would be possible.

Everyone sang the Ode to Newfoundland, and then even the race director himself declared this fu**ing crazy and we were off. :lol:

The rain hurt as the wind made it feel prickly but it really didn't last all that long and it wasn't too cold. I became oblivious and I couldn't get more soaked so time to move and find a zone.

The first 13km on Blackhead Rd are incredible. The steep climbs and descents turned my legs into hamburger meat. I walked a lot and found it hard, but necessary, to brake on the descents or I would have gone ass over tea kettle. Gusts of wind against the front of my body actually helped on the descents and I tried to catch up to a burly dude in front of me to draft on a climb but I couldn't catch him. :).
The wind kept shifting and both the wind and rain eventually died down, just as forecast predicted.

Only one section had a lot of gravel washed across the road and heavy waters and, of course, this was the pic shown by media.

You get a 3 kms of flat once you hit the base of Blackhead Rd as you pass through downtown along the harbour. Mario was outside our hotel at the 18 km marker. I dropped my vest with him and headed a bit further to Temperance street where you have a short intense climb with people yelling at you at the top to encourage you on.
After that it's the grand finale, the Munn Mile, which is basically the final ascent up Signal Hill. 1.6km of a steep winding climb.

I've run signal hill on fresh legs and it's mighty challenging but at this point my legs felt like stumps. It hurt to walk, it hurt to run. Lol. So I think I shuffled about 300m of it as a slow run but the majority of it was as aggressive a walk as I could muster. I think it took me around 18minutes to do the mile. :( Here is a section of it:

But I made it to the top and was elated to drag my drenched beaten arse over the finish line. The wind atop Signal Hill was blustery, but it always is. I took a selfie; I truly was elated to be done!

I got my medal and sat down to text Mario that I was done and to wait at the bottom for me instead of taking the shuttle up. A picture of me doing that was tweeted by the CBC. In the picture you see me with my cup of water held between my feet otherwise the wind would have blown it away.

All in all, the storm could have been way way worse than it was. NL folk are damn hearty. They had the best attitude and volunteers were wonderful and well dressed in hard core rain gear. It was a total hoot doing this race for the views and the atmosphere.

My quads feel like stumps today but everything else is good. Even a sore toenail feels good.
The storm blew out fast and left a negligible impact with very little damage.
Later in the afternoon:

It felt a bit surreal to think I actually went through with this when everything inside me said it was a dumb thing to do.
I highly recommend doing this race. As a 20km its a gruelling challenge but so satisfying. More hill training would have rendered me a better outcome but I am so happy to have finished.
If you can ever get to this race do it! The town and its people are outstanding and you won't regret it at all.

Thanks for reading.
/marg out! :D
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Cape to Cabot 2014

Postby HCcD » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Awesome race and report you crazy Maniac, you .... flying into the eye of a hurricane ... :shock: :lol: :wink: :shifty:

Perhaps, one day we should make Cabot an RM M&G event?? :shock: :shifty: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:32 pm

Oh my...great race report...I could just picture myself on the course :shock: :lol:
Very happy you didn't get blown into the sea and carried off.
Well done Marg.
And thank you so much for taking the time to post this...I love it when people do what I tell them to do :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:37 pm

It will be pretty hard to beat the weather craziness of this one! I am glad you got to do it!!!

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:39 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:Oh my...great race report...I could just picture myself on the course :shock: :lol:
Very happy you didn't get blown into the sea and carried off.
Well done Marg.
And thank you so much for taking the time to post this...I love it when people do what I tell them to do :wink:

I wouldn't dare not listen to you! :shock:
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:40 pm

I think if you right click on the photo spot and open it in another window it works...?
Well at least it did for me.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm glad you got to run it! Nice job!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

DonnaRigs
Bill Crothers

Postby DonnaRigs » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Ooh I would LOVE to do this race...maybe not in a hurricane though!
What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Cape to Cabot 2014

Postby purdy65 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:46 pm

Amazing! What a great report! Good work Marg!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Yay Marg! If they could guarantee those conditions every year, that's the sort of epic experience that would make the bucket list for many runners.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:50 pm

Way to go Marg! What a great adventure. Well done.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:33 pm

You are amazing. Congratulations!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:27 am

so glad you posted a report - what an incredible and memorable experience! loved your pictures. If I ever get back to NL, I'd love to try this one. Stunning!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:07 am

Jo-Jo wrote:And thank you so much for taking the time to post this...I love it when people do what I tell them to do :wink:

You have a way with that, Jo-Jo. ;) :lol:

Well done, Marg! I can't see the photos, so I'll have to check them out on FB when I get home.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:11 am

Marg wrote:I think if you right click on the photo spot and open it in another window it works...?
Well at least it did for me.

Worked for me, too. :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:15 am

Wow. Just wow. Amazing run under any conditions... but that was truly epic! Congrats!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:29 pm

Congrats Marg! You did great. Thanks for the RR.
Carm

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Marg wrote: Even a sore toenail feels good.

I believe Krista gave you the remedy for this, didn't she?

Good stuff and I'm glad I warded off your advances and encouragements to register earlier in the year! LOL!

Congrats my friend!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks for the report and the pics.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:32 pm

Wow sounds like a great adventure. Congrats to you. Great race recap. I can't see the photos here but saw some on FB....incredible. Rest up :)

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:59 pm

Congratulations! Super report!!

Bruce Kidd

Postby newbie » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:39 pm

I grew up in that area and I can tell you I would never attempt that or atleast that is what I been telling myself :). A good friend of mine ran it as well as his first half, I think he maybe be done with running after this. If you look at the website for the race it shows the elevations and it's crazy. Anyway good job and glad you got to do it, BTW this race caps at 500 so it's sometimes hard to get in.
Next up:

Feb 2015 - Castaway Key 5k
March 2015 - St. Patrick's Day 10k
May 2015 - ORW 1/2 Marathon

Return to “Run/Race Reports”