October Hat Trick

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ken B
Lynn Williams

October Hat Trick

Postby Ken B » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:09 pm

October Hat Trick

CHICAGO MARATHON: October 12, 2014

I signed up for the Chicago Marathon because my friend, and number one running partner, wanted me to run it with her. She was unsuccessful in getting into the Boston Marathon as a charity runner and wanted me to run another of the big marathons with her. She had run Chicago twice before with less than stellar results. Our plan this time was to run a 4:45 time ( or better! ) Alas, it was not to be. BumbleG was injured and could not run. She decided to travel to Chicago with Mrs. Tortoise and I as planned and cheer me during the race and to be my personal valet in the start corral. We added NinjaBunny as companion and room mate for BumbleG.
Pre-Race:
We left early on Friday and after a somewhat adventurous drive arrived at our hotel about 4:30 PM. On our way, we had run over a large rock and caused BumbleG's Mercedes to have its computer system go wonky. We stopped in Flint and had the car checked. The computer system reset itself and there was only damage to a small panel on the undercarriage. Nothing to bother us getting to Chicago and home.
We checked in and immediately caught the shuttle bus to the Expo. Packet pickup was easy and the Expo was verge large. We spent about an hour there. Other than checking out the new Tom Tom GPS Watch with built in Heart rate monitor, I found nothing exciting and did not purchase anything. I did get a chance to chat with my friend Bart Yasso of Runner's World. After catching the shuttle bus back to downtown Chicago we went out for dinner. We ate at Buddy Guy's Legends Restaurant and Bar. Slow service, good food, and excellent live Blues music.
On Saturday, BumbleG and NinjaBunny did the tour thing and Mrs. Tortoise and I spent most of the day at Chicago's Field Museum. Very enjoyable. NinjaBunny and I did get out early for a nice little walk/run/walk to loosen up my legs. BumbleG walked the first km with us and then met someone who invited her to the Runner's World little warm up run where she chatted with Bart ( I had introduced her to him as the Expo ) , and also met Deena Kastor. ( NinjaBunny and I knew nothing about this little party!! ) all this before 10:00 AM. We met up late in the afternoon for dinner. We stayed at the Congress Plaza Hotel for their pasta dinner. Okay food, a bit pricey, and terrible service!! ) Then it was to bed early.
Race Day:
BumbleG and I left the hotel at 7:00 AM for the 500 metre walk to "H" corral. It took us about 40 minutes 45,000 runners do clog up the lanes for bag checks. We chatted with numerous people and BumbleG took my warm clothes at 8:00 AM when our wave started. It took over 16 minutes before I crossed the start mat. The temperature at the start was about 8 C and when I finished, it was about 14 C. The weather was perfect for running a marathon. My new goal was under 4:25 ( My Boston Qualifying time ).
The course is not flat but had no real hills. There were a number of slight inclines and declines and also some under passes along with overpasses to negotiate. I liked this as I find that slightly rolling terrain is easier on my legs. There were lots of spectators throughout the race and the cheering was nonstop. Overall I really enjoyed the run with the numerous different ethnic areas and their cheerleaders. There were lots of hydration stations ( although negotiating thousands of discarded cups was a bit of a challenge in each one ). I do find that these large races create a few issues. Firstly, because I was in corral H with others planning a 4:45 time , I was passing people for the entire race. It was difficult weaving through the crowd constantly, especially when the course narrowed to two lanes on a few occasions. Also, because of the numbers, navigating the hydration stations was a nightmare. The only other problem was specators crossing from on side of the street to the other through the runners. At the 4 km mark, I was bodychecked by a woman who darted around the runner in front and a bit to the side of me. I was also elbowed in the ribs by a runner at the 6 km mark. I certainly started taking more care after those two incidents. I ended up maintaining a pretty consistent pace. My plan was to try for a 30 minutes for each 5 km segment. This I managed. Here are the official splits as seen on the Chicago Marathon Results Site: My starting time was 8:16:14
SPLIT TIME OF DAY TIME DIFF MIN/MILE M/H
05K 08:46:00AM 00:29:46 29:46 09:35 6.27
10K 09:16:03AM 00:59:50 30:04 09:41 6:20
15K 09:46:17AM 01:30:04 30:14 09:44 6:17
20K 10:15:52AM 01:59:38 29:34 09:32 6:30
HALF 10:22:21AM 02:06:08 06:30 09:32 6:30
25K 10:44:57AM 02:28:44 22:36 09:20 6:44
30K 11:15:10AM 2:58:56 30:12 09:44 6:17
35K 11:45:16AM 03:29:03 30:07 09:42 6:19
40K 12:15:57PM 03:59:43 30:40 09:53 6:08
FINISH 12:29:23PM 04:13:10 13:27 09:52 6"09

Finishing positions:
Age Group Men 70-74: 5/56
Men: 11, 032/ 22, 177
Overall: 16,173/ 50,213 ( Overall total is everyone who entered, This included those who didn't start and a number of relay teams. I understand that there were about 45,000 actual runners. )

Waterloo Octoberfest 10K - October 19, 2014

This is another event that I entered in order to accompany a friend - in this case my friend Mike. He was unable to run the race due to a family committment.
Race Day:
Bonnie drove me to Conestogo Mall about 8 AM for the 9:30 AM start. I had picked up my race packet on Saturday and so hung around the mall until it was time to warm up. It was cool and partly cloudy - excellent running conditions. I was wearing the neat gloves handed out in the race bag and a very light jacket. The new course is quite good with a fairly flat first 5K and a gently rolling terrain for the final 5K along King Street. I decided to start out fast but to use my 10 and 1 pattern. I usually don't take walk breaks in 5K or 10K races, but having run Chicago the Sunday before and having Mackinac Island Great Turtle Trail Half-Marathon on Sept. 25, I decided to err on the side of discretion.
At the horn I settled into an average pace of just over 5 min/km. There were no problems with crowded conditions and the running was trouble free. We faced a fairly strong wind for the first couple of kms but it wasn't realy a factor. My first 5K time was 25:30 and my last half was 26:07 so my pace was pretty consistent throughout.
The finish was inside the Waterloo Recreation Centre which was very nice. I walked over to downtown Waterloo where the car was parked and donned warm clothing and then Bonnie and I walked back to the Rec Centre for the awards. I finished first and received a medal.
Final Placings: Age Group - 1/7 Men - 120/204 Overall - 155/443

Great Turtle Trail Half-Marathon - Mckinac Island, Michigan

This event was a given for me. Last year I ran/walked it just 4 1/2 weeks after major surgery. My time was 2:33 and change. I vowed to return this tear, if healthy, and better that time. Mrs. Tortoise walked the 5.7 mile trail walk last year with her friends Annette and Cathy. The three of them did the same this year and enjoyed themselves once again. We drove up on Friday. It was an uneventful trip with a stop at the Birch Run Premium Outlet Mall where we did get a couple of small bargains. We rested at the hotel in the evening.
Race Day:
We met Cathy and Annette in the Lobby at 8:30 and walked down to the Shepler's Ferry Dock for the 9 AM ferry to Mackinac Island. It is a 20 minute trip. We then walked the 1 1/2 km trip to the Mission Point Resort to pick up our packet. Due to a Typhoon in Asia, our race vests had not arrived and would be shipped to us later. We relaxed in the building until out starts. The ladies started their walk at 11:30 AM. My half-marathon run started just after 11:45 AM. While I was waiting for the start, I chatted with a gentleman named Bruce who was in my age group. I also chatted with an ultra runer from Michigan names Stu who I invited to the "Toad" next year!!
The Race:
The weather was perfect - sunny and 8 C at the start and about 13 C at the finish. The first 3.5 km of the race are along the paved road which circles the island. Then we dive into the interior of the island and follow either improved dirt trails or dirt park roads until we exit the interior at the entry point and retrace our steps along the paved road to the finish. The paved road is pretty much flat but the interior part of the route is very hilly. Some long inclines in the first half and more angled undulating hills in the second half until ( thankfully ) arriving at the road for the finishing leg. One change that I noticed from last year was that a segment that last year was single track and technical had been widened and filled in so that their bicycle trail system was complete. Thus there was no actual technical trail running this year.
I decided to try for a 2 hour finish but to stick to my 10 and 1 pattern of run/walk. I wasn't sure how my Chicago Marathon two weeks and and last week's Octoberfest 10K would affect my legs. My plan was to try for a 9 minute mile as long as I could. I found the hills in the second half quite challenging but kepy trudging along. I was under 9 minutes for every mile segment. My new Tom Tom does not save lap times so I don't have precise times of each 5K lap but I kept a running check on the time for each mile. I ran each mile under the 9 minute mark.
Final chip time was 1:55:29 which is my second fastest half-marathon time ever. I was very pleased. The gentleman ( Bruce ) that I chatted with before the race was 12 minutes after me and finished second in our age group.
Placings: Age Group: 1/6 - Men: 152/377 - Overall: 218/1053
Thus ends my October three races in two weeks adventure. I have no races ( so far ) scheduled for November!!

Ken

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Re: October Hat Trick

Postby IronGoddess » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:24 pm

You are awesome!
IMC 2015

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:31 pm

So cool about Bart Yasso being your friend.
Also, impressed at your ag finish at a race as big as Chicago. You are world class!
All your running is so impressive. I am tearing up as I think of you and where you've come from. So spectacular.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks - both of you. Also thanks for posting the photo, Spirit! I think of you and your strong inner strength a lot when things are getting tough in my runs. :)

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:11 pm

Energizer Ken keeps on going.
Congratulations on a very successful October. :D
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:55 pm

Congratulations Ken! We'll done.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:46 am

Some comments:

Wow! - OK I'm speechless!

Well, maybe not.

What a fantastic month (or 2! of racing!) I truly do not know how you do it. Consider that of the 45000 entered in the Chicago Marathon, only 56 were in your age group! And you finished 5th! That has to show you how unique you are!

I really have no more words for how amazing I think you are! And how fortunate you are to be able to spend so much of your time doing what you so clearly love to do.

Congrats!

PS, is the spring the typical Chilly, ATB, Boston trifecta? If so I'll see you at all of them!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:52 am

Thanks, Lisa! Spring: Chilly - likely , ATB - Not this year , Boston - you betcha!!! :)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:59 am

Way-da-Go, Ultra Running (Ken) Machine ... :P :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:48 am

Another great set of race results Ken, congrats!! Look at that AG placement in Chicago at a major!! Impressive.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:03 pm

Great reports.
You are one awesome running machine!!!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Ken B wrote:CHICAGO MARATHON […] The course is not flat

I think you might be the first person ever to make this claim. This is a city that reversed the direction of its river for convenience.

Nice racing.

Dstew
Bill Crothers

Postby Dstew » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:38 pm

I am not a loss for words stringed together such as WOW, impressive, and so forth.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:45 am

Very nice, Ken. You never cease to amaze me. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:20 pm

:dance:

You are awesome. 8)
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th