Jogging for Egg Nog

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Ken B
Lynn Williams

Jogging for Egg Nog

Postby Ken B » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:53 pm

Or, in my case, jogging for chocolate milk!
This event is unique. The distance is 10.8 km. This year was the 32nd year for the Egg Nog Jog. It is organized by the Georgetown Runners and was started originally to allow their club runners to have a target event so as to encourage running through the winter months. I have run it several times with a previous best time in 2012 of 59:28. The reason for the unusual length of the course is that it is run around a country block that starts and finishes in the Terra Cotta Conservation area, just north of Georgetown. The weather can vary from fairly mild ( this year ) through icy to snowy and windy conditions. The course is made up of paved roads for part of the run and then gravel road. The first 2 /12 km are downhill ( which can be a problem if you go out too fast!! ) followed by 5 km of mainly uphill ( just enough downhill parts to relieve the agony ) and then some rolling terrain and then about 600 metres of downhill to the finish. ( this includes about 150 metres of steep downhill - treacherous the year of ice!! )
Pre-race:
Mrs. Tortoise and I drove over in slightly foggy condition and arrived in time to score a parking spot close to the heated tent area. This is a large tent where packet pick-up and after race activities are held. We chatted with Robin of Runningmania along with two friends of hers who were also competing. Then Mrs. Tortoise and went for a walk to scope out the hiking trails for her. ( She hiked in the park while I ran the race. ) Then I shed my warm-up clothing and did a warm up walk/jog.
Race:
There were 600 runners registered and 521 ran the race. I positioned myself near the front and just behind a local running friend and competitor, Ron ( he is in the age group just below me now but the last time we ran , we were in the same age group and he finished a couple minutes before me. ) With the horn, we were off and after turning out of the park had the immediate downhill. It is very difficult not to go to fast at this time and again I did as well. I passed Ron about 300 metres into the race and did not see him again until we finished. I felt really good and enjoyed the run down Winston Churchill Road around the turn and then through the edge of Terra Cotta. Reality sets in on the turn back north as we hit the first of three long hills. There a couple of shorter inclines as well. I took my first mini walk near the top of this hill ( about 3 km into the race ) After that I walked some on each of the hills, often for just a few seconds and once for about three minutes. At about the 4 km mark, Robin caught up with me and we ran together until the aid station at 5.5 km. This was the start of the second hill which is both the longest and steepest. Robin started walking with one of her friends. I kept running until closer to the top and then took my long walk to the top. I didn't see Robin again until after the race either, although she finished less than 2 minutes behind me. After a couple more walks near the tops of inclines, I finally was able to turn unto County Road 42 which was paved and had only a gentle incline and then decline to deal with. It was here that I spotted a gentleman that looked from behind to possibly be in my age group. Being of a slightly competitive nature, I decided that I should pass him. I set a goal of catching him by the 8 km marker and I was successful. Then I stayed slightly ahead of him until the turn back onto Winston Churchill Road where there was another short hill. I walked it and lo and behold there he was , right beside me! This prodded me into picking up the pace to the finish in order to keep ahead of him. When I reached the last steep downhill, I sprinted down it. ( fortunately the traction was excellent this year!! :D! ) . Then, it was trying to maintain pace to the finish. My gun time was 57:56 and my chip time was 57:49. Considering my walking session, I was extremely pleased with the final result. I placed 2nd in my age group. ( the first place in our age group ( male 70+ ) was four minutes ahead of me!! Yikes!!). After a cool down walk, I joined Mrs. Tortoise in the heated tent, had a couple of cups ( okay four ) of chocolate milk and waited for the award ceremony.
This is an excellent, unique event that draws runners from near and far. It is a very tough course than can be brutal in certain weather conditions. For me , it is a barometer on how my winter training is going and sets up the Hamilton Boxing Day 10 Mile race nicely.
My km splits were all over the place:
#1: 4:53
#2: 4:53
#3: 5:46
#4: 5:32
#5: 5:32
#6: 6:42
#7: 5:54
#8: 5:22
#9: 5:21
#10: 4:56
#11: 3:07 ( 800 metres)
Photo from before the race:

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Jogging for Egg Nog

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:19 pm

Great race, Ken. Congratulations on another (well earned) AG!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:31 pm

I can't believe you let some old guy beat you..... hehe .... just kidding!
Good job.
Nice pic.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:16 pm

Great race Ken, especially after having raced a 5K the day before! Always nice to see you again as well! Congrats on the AG award.

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:05 am

Congratulations on a great race and AG placement on a tough course!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:10 am

Congrats Ken!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:12 am

Congrats, Ken ... glad to see you back on the Race Band Wagon again .. Ha !!! :shifty: :lol: :P :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:41 am

Very nice Ken!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out