Getting it done at BMO, a tale of a new PB

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Getting it done at BMO, a tale of a new PB

Postby Stampie » Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 am

The 3rd time is a charm!

Now that I have had sometime to let the events of Sunday sink in, I feel it is time to reflect on that. Sunday was my 4th marathon and 3rd attempt at breaking my marathon PB, which ironically was set on May 6th, 2012; 5yrs plus a day to the date. Last year, I was better trained and at a better fitness level (thanks to Curb Ivanic my coach). My indicators said I could possibly do a 4hr or less marathon last year. However, the heat on race day last year did not help. It likely caused my GI & cramping issues. Thus my PB eluded me last year. By the fall of 2016, I had made up my mind that I was going to finish what I was not able to do earlier in May 2016. However, due to commitments with family & work, I was unable to use my previous coaches clinic, due to conflicts. However, I had all his emails from the last cycle and workout instructions readily available, I planned to utilize them

Fast forward to January 2017! Up to then I kept up with my base and planned to kick it up a notch in the new year. However, the winter in Vancouver decided otherwise. We got snow early, it came a number of times and it lasted for sometime. As a result my speed training took a serious hit; as I did not feel confident, comfortable or safe doing speed work on the snow covered track and the TM can't replicate those workouts IMO. At one point, I even contemplated carrying on leading the full clinic, but dropping to the half. In the early parts of the cycle, I was struggling to do 24K. I attributed that to my lack of speed workouts and finding it difficult to get my homework runs in. It started to eat at me and add some politics with some participants in my clinic, I wasn't feeling to motivated. I had a long discussion with a friend, who helped guide me as a leader when I first started. R is a friend I admire very much and she always seems to bring things back into prospective. That faithful Saturday morning chance meeting changed my outlook and I was refocused.

By Mid-March, I was refocused and starting to hit my stride. However, it was about a month too late. Then Sunday rolled around and all of a sudden it was race day! I felt loose and ready. I met up with lots of the participants I lead in the runners compound. I Gave them some well wishes, last minute guidance and then I started my way to the corals, but not before saying hi to my friend R. Coincidentally, R is responsible for the elite athletes at BMO and is involved with the race. She has 'all access pass' and thus got some good pictures at the start & end of the race. I lined up with my friend K & H; both from my connection with TNT. K was also one of my clinic participants in this training cycle.

The race went well, I did go out a little fast in the first quarter, but it was a struggle to stay at my desired pace early on as it really felt uncomfortable. In the end it did not fully effect me, as I was only 10sec/km over my desired pace, as I looked over the numbers/splits. I killed Camosun Street once again and it was great to see Cheryl (CMMH) there cheering me and the others with continue ridiculous enthusiasm. Sadly, I was way too focused on getting it done to really so anything more than a high-five. But her sighting was very welcoming. The section thru UBC was uneventful and in no time I was down to Spanish Banks and the halfway point. I was well within pace, hitting the the half at just under 2:05. At just before 24K we hit the climb out of Jericho. This was where I took my first real walk break outside of any water station. But just before the top is where the the second marathon relay hand-off was, and this was my 2nd sighting of Cheryl occurred. Once again here cheering was very motivating.

Going thru Point Grey and Kits Beach were uneventful. My pace was slowing slightly, but I was still on pace for a 4:15 finish. I reached the 29K mat and the last marathon relay hand-off area, still within pace. Then we hit the final big climb, with the Burrard Street Bridge. Now my friends were tracking me and had planned to meet me after I got off the bridge, as I hit Pacific Ave. Here is were the problem came. The section is maybe 6min or so for me, except I decided to walk up and save energy and thus took me a little longer than 6min to complete. As a result my friends thought I had a problem or worst yet, dropped out. I finally meet up with M & J (Team Super B as they called themselves) and they pace me thru the dreaded Stanley Park seawall. Now before I met up with them, I had planned for them to have a bottle of water for me so I could add a Hammer Electrolyte tablet. I hate the drink on course (Ultima) as you can taste the Stevia and therefore only took it once on course and it was water down. M & J are dear friends, both running and outside of running. I have high regard for them and there presence was certainly up lifting for sure.

Stanley Park was better than last year; no heat or dead air to contend with. Such a little thing like a breeze, which was missing last year, was so helpful in the late stages of the race. Certainly my pace started to to slow, but the 4:15 bunny was still not far in front of me. The 4:15 bunny passed me at about 30K when I was walking up the bridge. The goal at this point was to keep the 4:30 bunny behind me now. We hit Brockton Point and the 38K marker. It was here were I really started to struggle. The last 3-4K were simply put, torture and that is due to the fact that you now can see the Vancouver skyline across the water. My pace was really starting to take a hit and my 4:15 finish was gone. Once we hit the 'Final 1K to go' signed I knew I had it done. However, the bit on Pender (600m) is pure nasty with a false flat to finish off the race. There was nothing better than that feeling of crossing the finish and knowing I had a new PB. I then met R again and she gave me my medal, which was really special. She also got some pretty amazing finishing photos. So overall... A great day!

The numbers:
Gun: 4:30:18.xx
Chip: 4:24:14.xx – matched my Garmin
Overall: 1936/5000 – not sure exact registered, but close to 5000 limit
Age (50-54): 124/292

I hope you can see the pictures, I’ve linked them to the photos posted on FB by my friend R, enjoy!

Feeling loose at the start as I spotted R, but she saw me well before. :lol:

The final stretch as I approach the finish line

Knowing I just pulled off a new PB, shaving 6min off my last PB

Marathon #4 in the books
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Getting it done at BMO, a tale of a new PB

Postby La » Thu May 11, 2017 11:39 am

Bravo! :clap:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Thu May 11, 2017 11:54 am

Great race. Great report. Big congrats to you, Stampie :). And I love the pics - so full of fun!!!
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu May 11, 2017 11:59 am

Congrats.
Great report and thanks for the pics.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu May 11, 2017 12:23 pm

I am ridiculously enthusiastic about your new PB. It was great to be out there cheering and I'm so glad I was able to spot you a couple times on course. You worked hard for this Bryan and it's awesome to see that pay off. WELL DONE 8)
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Thu May 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Great run, Bryan! So happy it worked out well for you overall.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu May 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Great report, Bryan. I think the pictures tell it all! Congratulations on the new PB.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Thu May 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Great pictures and a great race. Well done Bryan.
IMC 2015

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:24 pm

Awesome job Bryan. Sorry I didn't get out to cheer you on but it sounds like Cheryl did an excellent job with cheering.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:29 am

Great pics and report! Nice PB!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Fri May 12, 2017 9:07 am

great report, bryan! and great race! congrats on getting your new PB. love the pictures. :D

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Fri May 12, 2017 9:17 am

Great job getting it done. Congrats again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri May 12, 2017 10:48 am

Those pictures are awesome!! Congratulations on your new PB - 6 minutes faster!? YES! :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri May 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Thanks everyone, it truly was a fun & enjoyable day!
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

barebuns1
Bill Crothers

Postby barebuns1 » Sat May 13, 2017 6:37 pm

Congrats on your run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you have to ask me why I Run, You probably wouldn't understand!

tayken
Tom Longboat

Postby tayken » Sat May 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Bryan...congrats on your new PB. Way to go man, and nice looking pics too. You smoked those two at the finish line, good thing they didn't form a daisy chain :lol:
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12
Army Run Vimy Challenge - Sep 17
Marathon Du P'tit Train Du Nord Quebec - Oct 22

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Mon May 22, 2017 9:28 pm

I finally got to read this report, and it was worth the wait! Big congratulations, Stampie! And thanks for the great pictures, too.
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed May 24, 2017 5:33 pm

great report and superb race. Love the photos! congratulations! :)

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu May 25, 2017 10:23 am

Thanks again everyone, it certainly was a great and fund day.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Fri May 26, 2017 6:45 am

How awesome, congratulations! Love the pics.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”