Ottawa Race Weekend 2017 - Voyageur Challenge

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
TeamHoundandRedhead
Percy Williams

Ottawa Race Weekend 2017 - Voyageur Challenge

Postby TeamHoundandRedhead » Tue May 30, 2017 11:38 am

I just had my personal worst race this past weekend - my friend and I did the Voyageur Challenge (5K + 10K on Saturday, Half on Sunday) Sounds totally doable, right? I did The Dopey last year and felt like a million bucks, I can handle this.

I was very wrong.

Problem was that the Saturday races were in the afternoon so no recovery time before the half. (5K at 4 pm, 10K at 6:30 pm.) We didn't eat much on Saturday so our stomachs wouldn't be full and by the time we got home it was 9:30 pm so we just had time for a quick get-the-salt-off shower, eat half a sub each and go to bed.

Race day was hot and sunny but with a slightly cool breeze that made you think you were okay when you really weren't. I knew at the start line that this was going to be a long day. My body had no fuel and not enough rest plus my left knee had been acting up during the 10K. I posted on Facebook later "When your entire body cramps and your knee blows out at the start line you know you're in for a 3 hour walk 'n cry." And that's exactly what it was - a hot, miserable, painful, long walk. 3:03:24

My friend had to bail at 12K with the heat and blisters on her feet. She said she was at the very back (there was one guy walking with a cane behind her then the cop car) and she knew she couldn't take another step. I fetched her from Medical after.

I really enjoy the Ottawa races but we won't be doing that challenge again. The 10K and Half medals are super cool though, they have fireworks and a spinning maple leaf. And the Voyageur Challenge medal is shaped like a canoe paddle.

Was anybody else there? How did you guys do?

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Ottawa Race Weekend 2017 - Voyageur Challenge

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Tough to do evening races and then morning races. Something/ someone will suffer for it. At least you got a neat medal out of it!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

tayken
Tom Longboat

Re: Ottawa Race Weekend 2017 - Voyageur Challenge

Postby tayken » Wed May 31, 2017 7:40 pm

@ TeamHoundandRedhead ...I think when most people signed up for the race, they didn't anticipate the time of the day or the crowd for all those races. I saw people passing out from cramps, dehydration and being tired from the day before. The key was to run the races conservatively...but some people went all out like they were running only one race.

Well earned Blings

https://ufile.io/rkbtq
On the books for 2017

Winterman 10km - (1st in age group) - Feb 19,
Chilly Half Marathon - Mar 5 (Done)
Around the bay 30k - Mar 26, (Done)
Limestone 1/2 - Apr 30,
Ottawa race weekend Voyager Challenge - May 27-28,
Spring Fling Toronto - June?
World Record Kilt Run Perth - June 24
Foam Fest 5k Ottawa - Jul 22
Pure Protein Night Race - Aug 12