ATB to limit size next year

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
BJH
Lynn Williams

ATB to limit size next year

Postby BJH » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:18 am

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but on the Around The Bay web page, there is a notice that they will cap the race next year. They also mention the food situation (not that this race ever has stellar food ;)).

www.aroundthebayroadrace.com wrote:To serve you, the runner, better, the Bay Race 2007 will limit its entries to the following...".

30K Run/Walk - first 5,200 entrants
3 - Person Relays - first 250 Teams
2- Person Relays- first 250 Teams
5k - first 1,000 entrants
The Bay Race thanks all of the 6,800 runners who made the 112 Anniversary of the Bay Race a huge success!
The Bay also apologizes to any of the participants that experienced not getting food after the race.

Due to the large number of runners and some logistical changes from moving into a new venue (Copps Coliseum), the food requirements were slightly underestimated.

This will be rectified for next year.

The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

garth
Bill Crothers

Postby garth » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:44 am

Do not do this race but I like it when an organization admits it's shortfalls and addresses them.
Please consider the jobs of those in the forest industry before deciding not to print stuff

MrBond
Bill Crothers

Postby MrBond » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:59 am

The race kits were pretty basic, there were no beer tickets and they ran out of medals too. For a race that's been around as long as this one its really too bad (IMHO) ... :?
"You're in over your head Donny..."

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:06 am

Yep... I feel for the race director though. They put a lot of effort into moving the start/finish to Copps, which in itself seems to be a good idea, considering the weather at this time of year. I think that they may have become too focused on this change & lost sight of some of the other aspects of the race.

I do admit, Mike was a pleasure to deal with & his very quick response & offer to rectify the medal situation made me feel better. I didn't want to blast him in an e-mail as I'm sure that he'd already had a boat-load of nasty comments already based on what I had read on the RR Forum. I pointed out all of the things that I really enjoyed about the weekend before I got into the medal situation.

One of my co-workers did the full 30 & is supposed to be getting her medal in the mail - at least we got one! 8)

Tracy
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:50 am

I too think overall the race was well-organized and great fun (until the finish), but I have to admit, as a non-medal-receiver, I was a little disappointed with this email:

The Bay Race apologizes for running out of medals.
Less than 200 participants were effected.
Medals have been ordered and will be mailed out in April.
Thanks for your patience.

Sincerely,
Race Director

The apology is appreciated, but the second line strikes me as a reminder that only a small percentage of really, really slow finishers were affected :oops: (I'm sure that's not how it was intended).

On the bright side, one of my friends who had already run ATB took off her medal as soon as she heard what had happened, and put it around my neck. A wonderful and touching gesture... and yes, I'm the geek who's been wearing it ever since :D

Deirdre

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:15 am

I hadn't heard about the shortage of medals. I didn't get much in the way of food, though. :roll:

I think capping entries is a good idea. It's a big change for a lot of running races where people are used to waiting until the last minute to sign up. I'm sure there will be some disappointed runners next year who wait too long and then find the race full!

I especially like the idea of capping the relay entries as it did get a bit congested running through the exchange points at 10, 15 and 20K. Not to mention the lineups at the port-o-potties!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:50 am

Were there no limits this year?

DeerDree wrote:On the bright side, one of my friends who had already run ATB took off her medal as soon as she heard what had happened, and put it around my neck. A wonderful and touching gesture... and yes, I'm the geek who's been wearing it ever since :D
Deirdre

That's a great friend you have Deirdre!! :) (And you SHOULD be wearing it still!)

Is Kristi still wearing hers? ;) (You told us you were going to wear it for a week! - must have bounced around during that hill workout last night!) ;)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:30 am

It still amazes me how can these events not have sufficient amount of finishers medals ??? after 111 events prior ... ya think with their pre-registration that they'd figure it out ..... can't be that expensive to order up 5-10% more medals than registrants, ya think ???

In my first marathon, their were only 100 Marathon Registrants entered, and they ran out of medals and food after the 45th Finisher ..... Apparently, they gave out the same Marathon Finisher Medals to the 1/2 Marathon Finishers .... :evil: :roll: If they knew that there was only 100 or so Marathon registrants, you'd thought they would have at least kept 100 medals for the Marathoners ... and send the 1/2 Marathoners their medals later on ...

Subsequently, 3-4 weeks later, we did get our medals in the mail along with a photocopy of a Marathon Race Certificate .... that was all crunched up in the mail ..... :evil: :roll:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:14 pm

HCD wrote:It still amazes me how can these events not have sufficient amount of finishers medals ??? after 111 events prior ... ya think with their pre-registration that they'd figure it out ..... can't be that expensive to order up 5-10% more medals than registrants, ya think ???

That's exactly what I was thinking too. The same thing with race shirts. I have recieved many shirts that were too big for me becuase they handed out the smaller ones either at package pickup or the finish line. What's the point of asking then?
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:23 pm

I don't care if there's enough t-shirts and medals - it's nice but they can fix that later. To me it's a good thing that a race is more popular than they expected.

But its inexcusable to run out of food, particularly after a 30k race. Runners are relying on that nutrition at the end. Buy too much, it'll probably get eaten, and if it doesn't, there are lots of charities that will take it.

I can live without a medal or shirt for a while, but if I don't get my bagel, yogurt and banana I go postal.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Midge
Jerome Drayton

Postby Midge » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:40 pm

on the food issue I have the following comment, I ran this in 2003 and 2004 and on both occassions i was in the food line up with spectators and volunteers, if you feed spectators you will not feed all of the runners
;) early and ;) often - it pays off in the long run

"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer

A1Runner

Have your say....do the ATB survey >>>>

Postby A1Runner » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:41 pm

Unless the post race venue changes I will not return. Bring back the ATB 2004 format.

ATB 2006 I was very disappointed with:

Ignorant walkers on the course walking abreast en route and in particular through the split mats.

Learning of some runners not getting a medal or food. Food was lousy.

Dangerous finish line - two sharp right hand turns, steep dark entry into Copps Coliseum.

Crowded and dark Expo.

Crappy post race experience - no awards ceremony, no post race party / gathering, lousy acoustics, cold inside of CC.

I did not go to the Pasta Dinner, but did learn from others that did. It was held on floor of the CC. It was cold. Unbelievalbe and cheesy! Do it right folks.

Have your say....do the ATB survey >

Road Race Surveys and Race Ratings www.roadraceresults.com

A valuable service for runners has just been launched on RoadRaceResults.com.

The first survey will be for the 2006 Around the Bay race.

www.RoadRaceResults.com/road-race-survey.php?rc=509

For this survey to accurately reflect the opinions of runners, we need most of the participants to complete it.

Please forward this to your running friends who ran the Around the Bay race.

Or you can visit RoadRaceResults.com and have a notice sent to them.

www.roadraceresults.com

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:42 pm

hmm....what was great about ATB 2004?

and, umm, welcome to the boards A1Runner.
i run for me.

A1Runner

As far as limiting the size in 2007 ... what a joke!

Postby A1Runner » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:43 pm

As far as limiting the size in 2007 ... what a joke!

5,200 for the run / walk in 2007. There were only 4115 + 171 = 4286 in 2006.

No need to be in a rush to register for 2007. I am going to wait until the venue for 2007 is posted.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:48 pm

so...again, what was good about 2004?

(I'm sure there must have been something that you liked about 2006? - how about that amazing cheering section 3/4 of the way up the hill?!) ;)
i run for me.

A1Runner

ATB, what did I like?

Postby A1Runner » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:07 pm

2006 vs 2004 9 minutes faster in 2006 : )

Weather was great, but nothing you can do about the weather, so that doesn't count, mind you I did not apply sunscreen (run and learn...next time!...as a result got burnt, sunstroke, etc.)

The course is the same...yep I like the course, the runners, (except those road hog walkers...other walkers are great though and friendly), the cops, the volunteers (mind you they are only as good as the information they are given - not their fault if they don't have all the answers - but for crying out loud - when asked where is the post race party - they could have of at least said "there is not one"), the organizers, sponsors.

Running ATB with my son. He did the 5km and placed well : ) Dad did great too : ) on the 30km.

2004 was so great, the last time I ran it, as per above, however, not as many walkers, if any. The best in 2004 is definately:

1. Safe finish line

2. Post race venue - inside the hotel / convention centre or whatever it is called, right beside CC. The room was huge, warm, great acoustics, carpeted (great for lying down on), bright, great food, free beer, band playing, awards ceremony was wonderful. Several of my friends placed in 2004 and again in 2006. Eight of them this year I never saw "awarded"...why?...because there was no ceremony. They were ticked off as were many. Aside from the awards, the post race experience party is a great opportunity to socialize with runners of all levels from all areas, excellent in 2004, nothing in 2006. What a rip-off.

3. The Expo was large and bright in 2004.
Last edited by A1Runner on Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:17 pm

hmm....so, your main complaints are really about the post race, and the unsafe finish line.

I'm glad to hear that you submitted your complaint to the race committee.....

I hope you don't blame the race committee on your 9 minute deficit this year though.... ;)

It's unfortunate that you weren't on here before ATB - we had a great post race party!!

As for the awards....as I was entering the coliseum for my finish - I heard them announcing the winners awards.....
i run for me.

A1Runner

Postby A1Runner » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:23 pm

Whoops typo Irongirl...since corrected. I was 9 minutes faster in 2006 vs. 2004. Right you are organizers get no credit for that...that goes to my running mates.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:26 pm

well....for the record..this was my first ATB - and, although I was looking forward to the beer afterwards, and, I was disappointed by the lack of food....I had a great experience there.

I guess that just means that the experience will hopefully only get better since it wasn't so hot this year (according to people that have done it!)

My wonderful experience (even though I had a crappy run) was most likely due to the number of supporters and friends that I had there though.....

(and, I had cake from the Ultra Series table!) :)
i run for me.

Ironboy
Abby Hoffman

Postby Ironboy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:53 pm

I had two pieces of cake! :oops:

A1Runner

Postby A1Runner » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:05 pm

irongirl wrote:well....for the record..this was my first ATB - and, although I was looking forward to the beer afterwards, and, I was disappointed by the lack of food....I had a great experience there.
I guess that just means that the experience will hopefully only get better since it wasn't so hot this year (according to people that have done it!)
My wonderful experience (even though I had a crappy run) was most likely due to the number of supporters and friends that I had there though.....(and, I had cake from the Ultra Series table!) :)

As expected, many of us had commented on such. For runners that have not ran ATB and / or for runners that this was their first "race" naturally you would have nothing to compare it to. Wait until your next race and ATB 2007 ... you WILL see the difference with respect to an excellent post race party, get together.

Beer...a bunch of us went to Slainte afterwards and had a great time.

I am glad you had a nice run and experience. No such thing as a crappy run, regardless of your time, as long as you learn something from it to improve upon for next time, it's good, resulting in getting better at whatever objective you may have.

Mine was 2:15. I missed it by several seconds. I know why. I learned, next time.

Why?

1. Scimped (first time ever) on the vaseline on my feet (jar was just about empty) resulting a large blister on the front pad of my foot and blood blister on the front of my damaged toe / toe nail under repair from a previous run(s).

2. No sunscreen / hat - picked up sunburn, sunstroke (wow was I burnt!)..didn't know it, but it must have effected my run. I had the chills for Sun. and Mon. night.

3. Should have pushed myself just a little harder on the rollers and the hill, but thought of holding back and saving it for the last 3km.

4. First 10km went out with too fast of a pace.

5. Realized I should have had new shoes, mine were crushed flat with 1,000+ kms on them since sub 6 months. I got new flats yesterday.

Next time!

runcherylrun
Bill Crothers

Postby runcherylrun » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:33 pm

Whoa..... you ran 30k on running shoes with 1000k on them ?? Boy that's got to hurt :o

Great time though :D :D

And thanks for sharing your lessons learned. As a relatively new runner there seems like so much to learn & remember when it comes to races. It's almost reassuring to know that even an experienced runner like yourself can get caught by changing weather or go out too fast.

I'm not sure I'll ever have the opportunity to run the ATB but if I do I know my fellow maniacs will make it a race to remember :wink:

Hey - are you doing anything July long weekend??? Ever hear of the Wolf Island Classic ?? :D :D
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Helen Keller

A1Runner

Postby A1Runner » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:49 pm

The 1000+kms shoes did not hurt, mind you at about 21'ish I thought to myself, "h'mmm, these flats seem flat" Asics Gel Kayano XI. A few days later I checked out my log and was surprised. Now running in XII. Original pair were X. Guess which are my fav flats?

www.wolfeisland.com/wiclassic

Looks like fun, you never know. I know one of the award winners from last year's race.

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:56 pm

I felt really bad for the people that didn't get food. And the medal situation as well.

Relays were capped earlier. They stopped registration at least a week before the race.

Otherwise I absolutely loved the change to Copps. It was amazing. Running onto center ice rocked. And the crowd was great coming towards Copps and inside. I was able to leave my bag in the stands and change afterwards.

Last year it was freezing and we lost our group as we finished later. I ended up changing at the car...outside as I couldn't wait to get to a Timmy's by the time someone got back to the vehicle.

The pre-race bathroom situation was also much better. I didn't wait in a line once.

Overall I was very impressed by the change in venue. As for a post-race party - I didn't know there was one last year as we never went back into the convention center. I was too cold too care anyway.

I think a lot of people wait until the last minute with this race to sign up. Bad weather for 30k is miserable so I can see waiting for the forecast to make a decision (we did last year and it was still bad) :lol:

I can't wait for next year. I love this race!

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:38 pm

irongirl wrote:Were there no limits this year?

DeerDree wrote:On the bright side, one of my friends who had already run ATB took off her medal as soon as she heard what had happened, and put it around my neck. A wonderful and touching gesture... and yes, I'm the geek who's been wearing it ever since :D
Deirdre

That's a great friend you have Deirdre!! :) (And you SHOULD be wearing it still!)

Is Kristi still wearing hers? ;) (You told us you were going to wear it for a week! - must have bounced around during that hill workout last night!) ;)

I'm not still wearing it. But I am still carrying it in my purse :oops: :oops:

Return to “Run/Race Reports”