So, I'm asking for help...

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
q
Bill Crothers

So, I'm asking for help...

Postby q » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:24 am

What kind of meals, lunch and supper, for one, can you suggest?

Breakfast is pretty easy for me. I almost always have the same type of thing everyday for Breakfast, of course a day with a long run, the breakfast changes.

I eat a lot of little meals:

Breakfast
2nd breakfasts (A little LOTR there, - A Snack sized brunch)
Lunch
High afternoon tea (well, mid-afternoon snack sounds less glam now doesn't it)
Supper
Evening snack.

I guess what I am asking help mostly is for healthly lunches and suppers. The snacks are usually a muffin/kashi bar and fruit or veggie (can you say mini carrots?)

I'm pretty good with the barbie, the oven and the range.

The mircowave is usually too long, or too short. Finding the perfect time seems to be a trick, a lot of stuff is like deep fired ice cream, hot on the outside cold on the inside. So, lets try to avoid those. But I'm not afraid to try if it is real good.

Oh, and I need to go to Rona or some such place for a couple of countertop appilances... Any volunteers for a road trip????
Last edited by q on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bettina Peterson: "Where're you headed?"
Chuck Noland: "Well, I was just about to figure that out."

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:33 am

I guess, reading things into this, that I'm sorry that you require meals for one. Handshakes Buddy!
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:42 am

That was my initial thought too... Not sure, but if you need a hug - here it is ((((((((((Q))))))))))))

Now that we have down-sized to 2, I've found that using smaller pots and pans prevents me from cooking too much. We're pretty much meat and potatoes folks evey night, with leftovers for lunch... When I'm on the road, I pack those Nordica Cottage cheese things or those wee little cans of tuna, some melba toast, cucumber sticks, yogurt, an apple a pear and a banana.

Grocery Store Salad in a bag with lean protein (ham/turkey), a boiled egg/cheese might be good for you for lunch?

Cooking a whole chicken on the barbie would give you leftover chicken for sandwiches/salad for a few consecutive days...
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:52 am

Cold barley soup is always good! :wink:
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:05 pm

Cooking for one just means lots of leftovers for lunch the next day! :) I mean, if you're going to go to the trouble of cooking, might as well make a little extra so that you don't have to cook every night. And, as Trix suggested, cook a whole chicken and you can do lots of different things with it throughout the week.

Cold barley soup... good one, Dennis! :lol:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:32 pm

If you have a slice of bread before and after, you can call it a barley sandwich! :wink:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:44 pm

You can cook a lot of meals for one.

I just usually repackage and freeze meat when I buy it - i.e. use one chicken breast and freeze the rest in individual serving sizes.

Or I'll make meals that reheat well and make enough for 3 meals (one supper, 2 reheated meals).

I also cook soups or casseroles that I can freeze individual servings for later. I like to have some different stuff in the freezer in case I need a lunch. Things that freeze well are: squash soup, rockin morracin stew, lasagna, etc.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:50 pm

One word, Brendan ...

M&M Meat Shops

err, 3 words, I guess .. :P :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

caro
Bruce Kidd

Re: So, I asking for help...

Postby caro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:47 pm

Unfortunately, when cooking for one, I usually eat cereal. Don't think you want that. However, I'll shop with you! I love small kitchen appliances.

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:58 pm

You don't want to hear or taste my cooking for one... :? It is very uneatable although very healthy.

Mixtures of what ever goes the fastest. Usually raw or left overs from the week before.

Cooking for two is a whole new game! It is actually worth taking the time.

So what you can do is cook for two. And you have a meal for the next day!!!

make lazagna is 3 different dish. Freeze 2 them and VOILÀ! :D

For exemple you don't want to cook 4 boxes of Kraft dinner... cuz it is insane or will drive you ...

Oh and who is Q already?
Last edited by Iron-North on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:58 pm

HCiD wrote:One word, Brendan ...

M&M Meat Shops

err, 3 words, I guess .. :P :wink:

Actually this is not that crazy an idea. :shock: :wink:
I generally don't mind cooking for myself during the week (dh only home weekends) but there are times when I just don't feel like it...so I hit the M&M.
I like their Onion Soup, Mushroom Soup. Yummy with some baguette and a healthy salad and a couple pieces of cheese.
I also like their salmon with dill sauce, and turkey wrapped in bacon. Add that along with a salad, a baked potato and/or cooked veggie and you have a good meal.

This might sound like a really crazy idea but something I do in the fall and spring. I have a client whose church has a sale at those times of year with an awesome deli table. The prices are crazy..i.e. not expensive. I buys lots of stuff there :D :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Iron-North
Jerome Drayton

Postby Iron-North » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:01 pm

Brenden!!!!! I was thinking it might be...
Always North of something ...

Ironman Cozumel 2014
Vancouver to Inuvik on bike 2014

braveheart
Lynn Williams

Postby braveheart » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:38 pm

Yes cooking for one can be tough but I am all good with leftovers so I am ok. I usually cook a batch of chicken stir fry or taco meat or quiona and use it throughout the week

http://www.thebigcook.com/ - is a good book as it has all the ingredients needed that you can just throw in ziplock bags and bring out when needed, pop in a slowcooker and just enjoy

and if you needed a hug ((((((((((((Q)))))))))))))))
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
Don't give up before the miracle.
**formerly campbellskid**

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:11 pm

I have been cooking for one for years - I just make the same size meal, and eat the leftovers the next day.

Healthy choices: a chicken or beef stir-fry, with onions, green peppers, mushrooms and some peanuts or cashews. Yummy.

Buy a jar of pasta sauce, brown 500 grams of hamburger and chuck it in. Simmer the sauce, throw in some frozen veggies (mixed carrots / peas are delicious). Freeze the sauce you don't eat, for later.

Get a good meatloaf recipe - I have one that makes mini-loaves, and they taste good after a few days in the fridge.

Get a rice cooker, if you don't have one already.

Eat well!

Lonerunner
Bill Crothers

Postby Lonerunner » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:31 am

Q wrote:Oh, and I need to go to Rona or some such place for a couple of countertop appilances... Any volunteers for a road trip????

I'm always up for a road trip. 8)

Like others said, freezing leftovers works well for me. There is always lunch ready to take to work. The bags of salad are great. When I buy chicken or pork I divide the packages into individual portions.

And there is no reason cereal can't be for supper. :lol:

Being a non-cook myself, I've survived the last year, you'll do great.
-Lisa

To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:12 am

Lonerunner wrote:And there is no reason cereal can't be for supper. :lol:

Even cheese omlettes for supper have become one of my mainstay and makes an Egg-Cellent meal :drool::drool:

This advertisement brought to you by the Eggs Marketing Board of XXXX :lol: :wink: :oops:
Last edited by HCcD on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:46 am

As evident in my over-stuffed freezer, I don't do so well with frozen leftovers. I'm more likely to reheat leftovers that are in the fridge in the few days after I make it. Once it makes it into the freezer, it's unlikely to see the light of day again! :oops: For that reason, I tend to cook enough for 2-4 portions, as opposed to giant portions of things that I won't be able (or want) to eat within a week.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:25 am

Another option is to cook for more than 1 and invite me over. :wink:
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Stephan
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stephan » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:26 am

You'll be fine my friend!!!!

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:34 pm

I like the cooking big and having leftovers. I would suggest you invest in some decent one-serving/meal-size glass containers with plastic seals that you can use for leftovers. Throw some in the freezer for when you just don't feel like cooking, take some to work for lunches...
Last edited by CeilidhOnTheRun on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:36 pm

CeilidhOnTheRun wrote:I like the cooking big and having leftovers. I would suggest you invest in some decent one-meal-size glass containers with plastic seals that you can use for leftovers. Throw some in the freezer for when you just don't feel like cooking, take some to work for lunches...

ahh, I'm the other way around.

I would suggest that he invest in some good single-serving tupperware. I freeze all our leftovers in single serving dishes - really easy to grab and go.....or grab and re-heat one serving.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:37 pm

Irongirl wrote:
CeilidhOnTheRun wrote:I like the cooking big and having leftovers. I would suggest you invest in some decent one-meal-size glass containers with plastic seals that you can use for leftovers. Throw some in the freezer for when you just don't feel like cooking, take some to work for lunches...

I would suggest that he invest in some good single-serving tupperware. I freeze all our leftovers in single serving dishes - really easy to grab and go.....or grab and re-heat one serving.

That's what I mean, single-serving size...
I suggested glass just because microwaving plastic is not such a great idea (however, my house is filled with it, and I'm too cheap to replace it, and thus continue to use it)
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:43 pm

CeilidhOnTheRun wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

I suggested glass just because microwaving plastic is not such a great idea (however, my house is filled with it, and I'm too cheap to replace it, and thus continue to use it)

ah, when I read "meal size" -I thought you meant full meals :roll:
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:51 pm

La wrote:As evident in my over-stuffed freezer, I don't do so well with frozen leftovers. I'm more likely to reheat leftovers that are in the fridge in the few days after I make it. Once it makes it into the freezer, it's unlikely to see the light of day again! :oops: For that reason, I tend to cook enough for 2-4 portions, as opposed to giant portions of things that I won't be able (or want) to eat within a week.

Guilty as charged...I'm the same as La. :roll:

BTW...is anyone else totally impressed that HCiD knows how to make a cheese omelette...let alone eat one :shock: :wink:
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

CeilidhOnTheRun
Jerome Drayton

Postby CeilidhOnTheRun » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:27 pm

Irongirl wrote:
CeilidhOnTheRun wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

ah, when I read "meal size" -I thought you meant full meals :roll:

LOL - I meant a meal for Q. :)
~Trish
Recovering slowly...

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”