Vegan/Vegetarian Athletes? Anyone?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Running Bishop
Percy Williams

Vegan/Vegetarian Athletes? Anyone?

Postby Running Bishop » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:51 pm

So I am a Vegetarian. I am THIS CLOSE to being a Vegan but I find it hard to give up cheese. I sneak it every-so-often.

I was wondering if there were any other Vegan/Vegetarians on this site?

Just curious. :)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Vegan/Vegetarian Athletes? Anyone?

Postby ultraslacker » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:52 pm

there are quite a few, and I'm sure they will respond.

I'm not one of them but wanted to say welcome to RM!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Running Bishop
Percy Williams

Postby Running Bishop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:07 am

ultraslacker wrote:there are quite a few, and I'm sure they will respond.

I'm not one of them but wanted to say welcome to RM!

Thank you , Ultraslacker!

I am really happy there are a few. I was hoping there would be a couple to swap recipes with! :)

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 am

Welcome to RM!

I'm lacto-ovo veg but I hate cooking so no recipes from me. I just steal them from other people :lol:
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:27 am

Vegetarian here. I know I have a few vegan recipes poking around in the Recipes section.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:54 am

Welcome! We're in the same boat -- veggie looking to phase out dairy and eggs eventually. I think we'll start by having a couple of lacto/ovo-free days a week. Also, we're feeling a bit bored by our current menu rotation and are looking to shake things up a bit.
Louise

treadlightly
Bruce Kidd

Postby treadlightly » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:35 am

My husband and I are both vegan. Having some good vegan cookbooks helps a lot. I'm a fan of anything with well-tested recipes, like Veganomicon and other books by the same authors, and ethnic cuisine. It also depends on your cooking style. Do you like quick-throw together meals or do you have a penchant for gourmet? Do you lean more towards raw foods? I eat a lot of beans so I find a pressure cooker really helpful in making meal planning easier.

There are a number of very "authentic" vegan cheeses on the market now to satisfy any craving for pizza, lasagna, etc, but I have found that I don't want heavy foods very often. I like the light feeling I have eating foods that are fairly easily digested.
Green Smoothies Rock!

Running Bishop
Percy Williams

Postby Running Bishop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:41 am

I hear ya: I am a bit bored with my menu right now, too! I am in the process of trying to change it, but obviously I need it to meld well with my running schedule. I have a weakness for Indian cuisine in more than one way...

Here is a nice little recipe I actually just made the other day. It is quite delicious and filling:

Orange Couscous Curry

1 tsp. canola oil (necessary to temper the spices)
1 1/4 tsp. black mustard seeds
4 dried chilies, deseeded and cut into irregular strips (leave a few seeds in for added spiciness)
2-inch cinnamon stick
2 tbsp. minced onions
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp. ginger paste
1 ½ cups (12 oz.) orange juice
1 cup baby carrots, halved lengthwise
1 medium-large zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed somewhat
1 15-ounce can mandarin oranges, drained (use the kind that’s packed in juice)
1 cup cooked chickpeas
1 tsp. salt (optional)
1 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
1 1/4 cup hot water

Masala:

seeds of two green cardamom pods
1 ½ tbsp. coriander seeds
2 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
5 whole cloves
½ tsp. paprika
3/4 tsp turmeric

Grind the masala ingredients to a powder. (I use a coffee grinder for this, but a good blender will work, too.)

In large, non-stick wok or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat until it sizzles when you drop in a mustard seed. Add the black mustard seeds, chilies, and cinnamon stick. Cover the skillet and wait until you hear the mustard seeds begin to pop. Add onions, garlic, ginger paste, and masala. Sauté until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes, but be careful not to burn it.

Add the orange juice and bring to a boil. Add the zucchini and carrots, cover, and cook for 4 minutes. Add the green peas and chickpeas, and cook until heated through, about 3 or 4 minutes.

Add the salt, couscous, mandarin oranges, and hot water. Stir well, cover, and remove from heat. Allow it to sit for at least five minutes before stirring. Serve hot or at room temperature or chill for a fantastic salad.

Taken from, fatfreevegan.com

Give it a shot and let me know what you think!

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Lacto-ovo veg here, for the past 21 years. 'Athlete' for the past 12 years (ultimate frisbee, and running for about the last 5.5).

I'm afraid you won't get much help from me on the cooking side, as I am preeeeetty basic on that front. But if you ever feel like popping over to North Vancouver to try your recipes on a volunteer, I'm here for ya! :)

ETA: I love the idea of going vegan, but I know I am just too lazy/uninspired right now to do it in a truly healthy way. Plus, I, too, like cheese way too much (and milk and yogurt).
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Running Bishop
Percy Williams

Postby Running Bishop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:20 pm

Yes, going Vegan is a challenge. Especially if you want to incorporate beyond food (clothing, etc).

Alicia Silverstone (of all people) apparently has a wonderful book called, "The Kind Diet". http://www.amazon.ca/Kind-Diet-Simple-Feeling-Losing/dp/1605296449 Although I would assume some stuff would need to be modified a bit for people like us that need more carbs or whatever on certain days. Either way - I hear it is a good place to start if you are at all interested in going Vegan. Or so I have been told.

I want a brick of cheese now.

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:23 pm

Running Bishop wrote:Yes, going Vegan is a challenge. Especially if you want to incorporate beyond food (clothing, etc).

Alicia Silverstone (of all people) apparently has a wonderful book called, "The Kind Diet". http://www.amazon.ca/Kind-Diet-Simple-Feeling-Losing/dp/1605296449 Although I would assume some stuff would need to be modified a bit for people like us that need more carbs or whatever on certain days. Either way - I hear it is a good place to start if you are at all interested in going Vegan. Or so I have been told.

This fits... RA and I sat next to her at a lovely, homey little veg resto in Halifax a few years ago! :)

Yeah, the clothing, etc. thing... I work at that. I buy almost no leather (only shoes, when I have to), and try to pay attention in other things too. Relatively few animal products in my world, but they are there... it was only last year, for example, that I discovered most wines are technically not vegan. Gah!
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Running Bishop
Percy Williams

Postby Running Bishop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Yeah, when I found out some wine and beer use gelatine in their products, I was horrified. Well, that is being over dramatic...but I was visibly upset, let me tell you!!!

This is a decent site to go to to fine out about booze: http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/index.htm

Unfortunately it looks like a 3 year old made it, but you will get the gist of it.

Agent Provocateur
Bill Crothers

Postby Agent Provocateur » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:47 pm

dwayne_runs_far and I are vegans. Although we don't post much here, feel free to PM us if you have any questions. He is an ultra-distance runner and I mostly do other types of fitness activities these days... but I do occasionally still jog with my puppy!
Love life, eat plants, do yoga.

Running Bishop
Percy Williams

Postby Running Bishop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Agent Provocateur wrote:dwayne_runs_far and I are vegans. Although we don't post much here, feel free to PM us if you have any questions. He is an ultra-distance runner and I mostly do other types of fitness activities these days... but I do occasionally still jog with my puppy!

Thank you so much, Agent! I will for sure take advantage of that!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:02 pm

I am vegan and I never cook a thing. So I find life totally easy and happy! (I won't bore you with the details) If you read my journal, you'll see I have plenty of energy, don't need much sleep. I'm not young but I am a spring chicken!

Keep up the good work. Glad u are here. Bishop? Really?
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:06 pm

ultra spirit wrote:I am vegan and I never cook a thing. So I find life totally easy and happy! (I won't bore you with the details) If you read my journal, you'll see I have plenty of energy, don't need much sleep and don't get injured (much). I'm not young but I am a spring chicken!

Keep up the good work. Glad u are here. Bishop? Really?

Running Bishop
Percy Williams

Postby Running Bishop » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Thank you Ultra Spirit. I look forward to reading your stuff!

As for the name, Bishop...no...my real name is Brett.

Bishop was an old nickname I had when I was younger. It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with the android from Aliens.

I know: NERD ALERT!

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Running Bishop wrote:Thank you Ultra Spirit. I look forward to reading your stuff!

Bishop was an old nickname I had when I was younger. It has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with the android from Aliens.

Excellent! Another one! :clap:
Andrea Michelle

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:14 pm

Running Bishop wrote:Thank you Ultra Spirit. I look forward to reading your stuff!

:lol: Nerds are 8)

ROW
Bill Crothers

Postby ROW » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:40 pm

My mom is somewhat.

Pat Menzies
Bill Crothers

Postby Pat Menzies » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:58 pm

ROW wrote:My mom is somewhat.

A Nerd? :)
Check out my site, Bamboo Bikes by Pat Menzies, to see and order my handmade bike frames.

killerbeetle
Bruce Kidd

Postby killerbeetle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:13 am

Ohhhhh I LOVE food hehehe

I'm both vegan and a nerd too 8) I guess not completely because I'll eat a muffin at a friend's house without asking if they used an egg in it... Probably because I did this for health reasons and never did care about killing animals... (yep, I'm heartless and selfish). I only made this switch in May so maybe I'll get pickier as time passes.

Anyway, I eat a lot of raw foods (because they feel better in my tummy), but I do have a passion for cooking and baking. A couple of my recent favourites that I came up with are fresh salsa and pita chips, "granola bars" (raw goji berry almond bars), and... vegan rice pudding (kheer). Experimenting in the kitchen is one of my favourtie things...

Okay, I have a question for other vegans/vegetarians... do you find animal flesh gross to look at now that you've given it up? I never did have a problem with meat but all of a sudden one day after I'd given it up, it doesn't look like food anymore. Now it's just a piece of dead animal and I dislike walking through the meat section... :? Cheese and eggs gross me out too, but not quite as much.
2013 Plans:

Get off butt.

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:47 am

killerbeetle wrote:Okay, I have a question for other vegans/vegetarians... do you find animal flesh gross to look at now that you've given it up? I never did have a problem with meat but all of a sudden one day after I'd given it up, it doesn't look like food anymore. Now it's just a piece of dead animal and I dislike walking through the meat section... :? Cheese and eggs gross me out too, but not quite as much.

Simple answer yes - at least when it comes to dead animal. Eggs and cheese don't bother me, probably because they're not dead animal. But yeah, when I see "steak" I just see a poor dead not by natural causes cow. I can't stomach even the idea of my food touching or being anywhere dead animal has been.
Andrea Michelle

treadlightly
Bruce Kidd

Postby treadlightly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:32 am

killerbeetle wrote:Okay, I have a question for other vegans/vegetarians... do you find animal flesh gross to look at now that you've given it up? I never did have a problem with meat but all of a sudden one day after I'd given it up, it doesn't look like food anymore. Now it's just a piece of dead animal and I dislike walking through the meat section... :? Cheese and eggs gross me out too, but not quite as much.

Looking at meat really bothers me, especially watching someone tear into a chicken wing or something. Dairy bothers me because a calf was torn away from its mother to produce it, and in the case of a male calf, killed shortly thereafter. Eggs don't really bother me.
Green Smoothies Rock!

bluemutt
Johnny Miles

Postby bluemutt » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:54 pm

I am vegetarian for the most part and remove more animal products from my diet all the time.

I have never really been big on meat but grew up in a "meat and potato" household so I just went with the flow. My kids have never liked meat and to this day neither of them have ever touched a burger. I always feel better the less meat I eat...if I do it is always because I am lazy and eat what everyone else is eating....workin on it though :)

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”