What's for dinner?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Avis
Jerome Drayton

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Avis » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:21 pm

It's been a while since anyone posted here, and, if you're like me, you always need ideas for hot-weather meals. We had a pretty tasty dinner the other night, so I'll get the ball rolling by listing the menu here:

Pork loin grilled on the BBQ, rubbed with salt, pepper, and crushed fennel seed. Served sliced and topped with an olive tapas-type relish (chopped Kalamata olives, chopped parsley, minced garlic, balsamic vinegar)

Cold mixed whole grain salad with chick peas, chopped green onion, grated lemon zest, chopped parsley, chopped dried apricots. Dressed with a mixture of olive oil, reduced apple juice, lemon juice and spiced with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, ground coriander seed, ginger, and cinnamon.

Lettuce from the garden and tomato salad (no tomatoes from the garden yet).

No dessert that I remember, but we were satisfied!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm experimenting with making "pulled chicken" in the slow cooker. I put in chicken breasts and thighs (w/ skin & bone still on since they add moisture and flavour) rubbed with a dry spice rub, 4 cloves of garlic and 2 small sweet onions, sliced. Once the meat is cooked and falling off the bone, I'll remove the skin and bones, add BBQ sauce, and continue to cook for another couple of hours.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:18 pm

La wrote:I'm experimenting with making "pulled chicken" in the slow cooker. I put in chicken breasts and thighs (w/ skin & bone still on since they add moisture and flavour) rubbed with a dry spice rub, 4 cloves of garlic and 2 small sweet onions, sliced. Once the meat is cooked and falling off the bone, I'll remove the skin and bones, add BBQ sauce, and continue to cook for another couple of hours.

Now that sounds tasty and easy! Let us know how it turns out.
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:20 am

La wrote:I'm experimenting with making "pulled chicken" in the slow cooker. I put in chicken breasts and thighs (w/ skin & bone still on since they add moisture and flavour) rubbed with a dry spice rub, 4 cloves of garlic and 2 small sweet onions, sliced. Once the meat is cooked and falling off the bone, I'll remove the skin and bones, add BBQ sauce, and continue to cook for another couple of hours.

I made a super easy version of slow-cooker pulled chicken:

4 large frozen chicken breasts
I large jar salsa (your favourite)

Throw it in the slow-cooker on high. Cook until the chicken starts to fall apart.(3-4 hours depending on your slow-cooker) Pull apart with two forks and use in tortilla shells with grated cheese.Mmmmmm!

The recipe originally called for 1/2 cup water as well but I found it was too watery and ended up reducing the entire batch on the stove. The next time I eliminated it completely.
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 am

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:52 am

SCORE!!! Totally doing this next time!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:09 pm

So what is the verdict? How were they?
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Stampie wrote:

So what is the verdict? How were they?

Taste? A+
Texture? B-

Chicken doesn't hold up as well as pork, I find. I was in a hurry last night and after shredding the chicken, I put it back into the slow cooker with the juices that were left over and it kind of went to mush. :? What I should have done was put the shredded chicken in a bowl in the fridge, put the juices/drippings in another bowl (so that I could skim the fat off once it got cold/hard), and then waited to make the sauce when I had more time (i.e., today). Live and learn.

I was trying for a "pulled chicken that can pass for pulled pork" effect (hence the use of BBQ sauce as opposed to salsa).

I'm making them into sliders with some cole slaw on top for a party I'm going to tomorrow.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:42 pm

La wrote:Taste? A+
Texture? B-

Chicken doesn't hold up as well as pork, I find. I was in a hurry last night and after shredding the chicken, I put it back into the slow cooker with the juices that were left over and it kind of went to mush. :? What I should have done was put the shredded chicken in a bowl in the fridge, put the juices/drippings in another bowl (so that I could skim the fat off once it got cold/hard), and then waited to make the sauce when I had more time (i.e., today). Live and learn.

I was trying for a "pulled chicken that can pass for pulled pork" effect (hence the use of BBQ sauce as opposed to salsa).

I'm making them into sliders with some cole slaw on top for a party I'm going to tomorrow.

What about thickening the sauce prior to adding the chicken? It could be a way to help prevent the chicken from absorbing some of the moisture.

I also like the idea of using both the thighs with the breasts, as white meat tends to be dry, even in the slow cooker from my experience.
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Stampie wrote:
La wrote:Taste? A+
Texture? B-

What about thickening the sauce prior to adding the chicken? It could be a way to help prevent the chicken from absorbing some of the moisture.

I also like the idea of using both the thighs with the breasts, as white meat tends to be dry, even in the slow cooker from my experience.

Yes, that's what I should have done (and what I usually do when I make ribs in the slow cooker). There's SO much flavour in the liquid given off by the chicken/bones that it would be a huge waste of flavour to just chuck it. I usually skim off the fat and reduce it along with BBQ sauce before basting the ribs with it on the BBQ.

I'm sure I'll be able to salvage it and it will taste good, so I'm sure nobody but I will notice that the texture isn't what it should be. ;)

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:39 pm

I had a DELICIOUS dinner tonight! I made potato salad on Tues, and it was even better today. It's Pat's mom's recipe- I normally HATE potato salad (and anything creamy-mayonnaise-y like that- egg salad, coleslaw etc), but this is really nice. It has a creamy dressing but it's not super thick.

Boil white or red potatoes about 20 min, drain, let cool and cut 'em up. Splash with white vinegar while they cool.
Finely chop a small onion
Chop a handful of fresh parsley
Add a couple decent spoonfuls of Heinz English salad cream
Mix!

Tonight I cooked up some chicken (breasts, but this would probably work even better with a roasted chicken, or at least a combo of breast/thigh meat) with salt and pepper. I shredded it up.
I had pre-mixed a couple big spoonfuls of mayo and a spoonful of Patak's madras curry paste. I had also cut up some red pepper pieces really small and thrown them in. I mixed the whole lot together once the chicken was cold and had it on a baguette.

So yummy!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:40 am

I saw a post on Chef Tyler Florence's Twitter feed about the best mashed potatoes:

Yukon gold potatoes
A couple of cloves of garlic, peeled
Simmered in cream & butter! :shock:

From the photo, it looked like the pot was pretty full of potatoes, so I think you'd put the cut up potatoes in the pot and then put just enough cream to barely cover them. Drop the knobs of butter on top.

Drain the potatoes, saving the cooking liquid. Mash the potatoes (he said, put them through a ricer) then add as much of the cooking liquid back in as necessary for the desired consistency.

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:04 am

La wrote:I saw a post on Chef Tyler Florence's Twitter feed about the best mashed potatoes:

Yukon gold potatoes
A couple of cloves of garlic, peeled
Simmered in cream & butter! :shock:

From the photo, it looked like the pot was pretty full of potatoes, so I think you'd put the cut up potatoes in the pot and then put just enough cream to barely cover them. Drop the knobs of butter on top.

Drain the potatoes, saving the cooking liquid. Mash the potatoes (he said, put them through a ricer) then add as much of the cooking liquid back in as necessary for the desired consistency.

I remember seeing a report on one of the American news networks in the '70s or '80s at the time of their Thanksgiving. It was about which foods were considered healthy and which weren't. When the reporter gave his family recipe for mashed potatoes - heavy on the butter and cream, among other things - the doctor dubbed them "White gobs of death." :lol:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:42 am

Daaaaaaamn, those sound good! Yes, definitely to be eaten for special occasions only! You'd have to really watch them carefully and stir constantly I'd think, or the cream would scald.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:01 pm

The other night last week we had bbq chicken. I took chicken thighs marinated overnight in a homemade lemon-lime dressing (olive oil, lemon & lime juice, oregano and seasoning to taste – Greek style I guess), then bbq’d over high heat to sear both sides, then over med – med/low to cook thru. I took red potatoes cut into wedges. I then placed them in a foil envelope with olive oil seasoning and a dash of onion soup mix. I placed them on the top rack of the bbq to cook for about 10mins prior to putting the chicken on the grill. We even had fresh local corn that is starting to arrive from Chilliwack.

Yummy!

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:01 pm

I pulled some stuff together tonight so i would have lunch tomorrow.

Quinoa, black beans, cucumber, grape tomato, red pepper, mushrooms, green onion, salt, pepper, cayenne, balsamic dressing.
The Summer of Eng is over.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:29 am

Inspired by a "no-pasta" pasta dish I had at a local restaurant a few weeks ago, I made this little experiment last night that was really good!

Sauce:
Sautee finely chopped mushrooms, onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil
[I didn't add white wine, but it definitely would have helped to add it here and then let it reduce before adding milk]
Add a splash of evaporated milk* (enough to make a sauce) and/or heavy cream (I used a bit of both)
Finely grated parmesan cheese
Salt, pepper, fresh thyme

*Unlike regular milk, evaporated milk can be brought to a low boil, but you can't let it boil for long or it will separate. You can't use regular milk for this. You could use all cream (10% or higher), which would be awesome, but very calorie dense.

"Pasta"
The chef made his with celery root (celeriac) that was cut into strips to resemble wide pasta (tagliatelli). I couldn't find celery root, so I experimented with three different veggies to see which I liked best:
Carrot, Parsnip, and Zuchinni: peel, then cut into long strips with a vegetable peeler (try to make the strips as thick as the peeler will allow)
Blanch the veggie strips in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then transfer to cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well and pat dry, then add to the sauce until heated through.

Verdict on the veggie "pasta":
Carrot - good texture, nice long strips (used a very long carrot), doesn't "look" like pasta due to the colour
Parsnip - good texture, looks like pasta, but has a very strong/distinct flavour
Zucchini - a little bit slimey, very neutral flavour

In the end, I kind of liked the mix of the three veggies in one dish.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 am

La wrote:Inspired by a "no-pasta" pasta dish I had at a local restaurant a few weeks ago, I made this little experiment last night that was really good!

Sauce:
Sautee finely chopped mushrooms, onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil
[I didn't add white wine, but it definitely would have helped to add it here and then let it reduce before adding milk]
Add a splash of evaporated milk* (enough to make a sauce) and/or heavy cream (I used a bit of both)
Finely grated parmesan cheese
Salt, pepper, fresh thyme

*Unlike regular milk, evaporated milk can be brought to a low boil, but you can't let it boil for long or it will separate. You can't use regular milk for this. You could use all cream (10% or higher), which would be awesome, but very calorie dense.

"Pasta"
The chef made his with celery root (celeriac) that was cut into strips to resemble wide pasta (tagliatelli). I couldn't find celery root, so I experimented with three different veggies to see which I liked best:
Carrot, Parsnip, and Zuchinni: peel, then cut into long strips with a vegetable peeler (try to make the strips as thick as the peeler will allow)
Blanch the veggie strips in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then transfer to cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well and pat dry, then add to the sauce until heated through.

Verdict on the veggie "pasta":
Carrot - good texture, nice long strips (used a very long carrot), doesn't "look" like pasta due to the colour
Parsnip - good texture, looks like pasta, but has a very strong/distinct flavour
Zucchini - a little bit slimey, very neutral flavour

In the end, I kind of liked the mix of the three veggies in one dish.

This dish looks amazing La and relatively easy to make. I agree, the addition of the white wine would be an added flavour boost.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:31 am

La: You can sometimes find celeriac at the local part of St. Lawrence Market and I think I've seen it at Cargo, the fruit and vegetable market near the corner of Queen & Lee.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:52 am

Did you ever cook turkey thighs? They are very reasonable in price, one large thigh serves two moderate appetites, and they don't have the annoying tendons and strings in them that turkey drumsticks do. Last night, I slightly opened the thighs on the skinless side (almost butterflied them, but left the bone in), rubbed with dry sage and thyme, salt and pepper, then inserted a couple of green onions and a few dried cranberries. I was trying to make the taste of Christmas dinner for Christmas-in-July day! I tied the thighs up with string, and roasted skin-side up at 375 for about 50 minutes. I bet you could even do these on the BBQ. Yummy and easy.
--The Garden Song

--Charles H. Spurgeon

--Pablo Picasso

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:09 pm

jgore wrote:La: You can sometimes find celeriac at the local part of St. Lawrence Market and I think I've seen it at Cargo, the fruit and vegetable market near the corner of Queen & Lee.

I looked all over Loblaws as I've bought it there before. Unless they've moved it to a more obscure part of the produce section and I overlooked it. I looked with the celery, the root vegetables, etc. to no avail. :?

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Tonight we had chicken paprikash with broad noodles. Sides were fresh corn and kale salad. yum yum yum.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Dinner in the crockpot...chicken breasts, salsa, black beans, corn, green onions, mushroom, taco spice. Co-incidentally...I am going out for dinner. :P
The Summer of Eng is over.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Kale Slaw

Bunch of kale, finely chopped
1 apple, small dice
1 carrot, grated
1 lemon, zest & juice
Pinch of salt

After mixing all that together, I tossed it with a home-made vinaigrette of:
Dijon mustard
Apple butter
Lemongrass paste
Freshly grated ginger
Pepper
Olive oil
Lemon juice
Apple cider vinegar

It was good tonight, but it will be even better tomorrow!

Kelodie
Kevin Sullivan

What's for dinner?

Postby Kelodie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Oh wow, that looks good, La.
"Keep Going. Never Give Up" - Spencer
"Have a little faith in yourself and watch the magic begin" - Ironboy

Plans for 2014:
Run for Women 5K, May 11
Ottawa Race Weekend 10K, May 24

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”