What's for dinner?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
User avatar
Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 7058
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:24 pm
Location: BC

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Half-Mary » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:21 pm

I cooked orzo for the first time ever tonight. I've purchased pre-made salads made with orzo, but I've never cooked it myself. I made it into a greek salad using what I had in the fridge: red pepper, onion, tomatoes, cucumber, and black olives. I added about 1 Tbsp each of lime juice and olive oil, and I chopped up some fresh basil and fresh oregano. It's not very flavourful so I might need to pick some more oregano. I'm not sure there is any more fresh basil. Aside from being a touch bland, it's not too bad.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams
Posts: 17817
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: B.C.

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:55 pm

I have a yummy orzo recipe that people have enjoyed. You brown the orzo before cooking it, that seems to add some flavour to it.
I will dig it up and post it.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby La » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Turkey & Veggie Chili for dinner. It really should have simmered another hour or more, but I was starting to get HANGRY! :twisted:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Samantha
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 52011
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Samantha » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:05 pm

Sole with lemon sauce, green beans, couscous and coleslaw.

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby La » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:07 am

I wasn't excited about the slow-cooker pork roast I made last week (kind of boring, not much flavour), so I decided to "spice it up" a bit. I cut some of the meat into bite-sized pieces, then took the onion/tomato mixture and heated that up in a frying pan. I added some Garam Masala and about 1/4 cup coconut milk (the kind in the tetra pack that's meant as a milk substitute, not the canned stuff) to make a sauce, then added the cooked meat to that and simmered until heated through. I was delish! Had it with a side of Kale Slaw.

Kale Slaw

1 bunch of kale, finely shredded/chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 apple, finely chopped

Dressing:
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 Tbsp lemongrass puree (if you have it) - I buy the stuff in a tube since it keeps for a long time
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby La » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:49 pm

I just put a pork loin roast into the oven. I cut it open and stuffed it with a mixture of onion, garlic, mushrooms, dates, figs, pecans and Balsamic vinegar. I made the stuffing the other night (sauteed all that in a pan, deglazed with Balsamic) and put it in the fridge until I got around to actually cooking the roast tonight. After stuffing and tying it back up, I browned it on all sides in a frying pan, then put it (and the pan juices deglazed with white wine) into a baking dish, lightly covered in a 375-degree oven.

Verdict to come in about 40 minutes...
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
jgore
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 8437
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:31 am

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby jgore » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:36 pm

La wrote:I just put a pork loin roast into the oven. I cut it open and stuffed it with a mixture of onion, garlic, mushrooms, dates, figs, pecans and Balsamic vinegar. I made the stuffing the other night (sauteed all that in a pan, deglazed with Balsamic) and put it in the fridge until I got around to actually cooking the roast tonight. After stuffing and tying it back up, I browned it on all sides in a frying pan, then put it (and the pan juices deglazed with white wine) into a baking dish, lightly covered in a 375-degree oven.

Verdict to come in about 40 minutes...


Your meals always sound great.

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:00 pm

Chick pea curry with rice. :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby La » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:44 pm

jgore wrote:
La wrote:I just put a pork loin roast into the oven. I cut it open and stuffed it with a mixture of onion, garlic, mushrooms, dates, figs, pecans and Balsamic vinegar. I made the stuffing the other night (sauteed all that in a pan, deglazed with Balsamic) and put it in the fridge until I got around to actually cooking the roast tonight. After stuffing and tying it back up, I browned it on all sides in a frying pan, then put it (and the pan juices deglazed with white wine) into a baking dish, lightly covered in a 375-degree oven.

Verdict to come in about 40 minutes...


Your meals always sound great.

Maybe a second career as a cookbook or menu writer!

It turned out really well. Very tasty.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 37476
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Jwolf » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:42 pm

La wrote:
jgore wrote:
La wrote:I just put a pork loin roast into the oven. I cut it open and stuffed it with a mixture of onion, garlic, mushrooms, dates, figs, pecans and Balsamic vinegar. I made the stuffing the other night (sauteed all that in a pan, deglazed with Balsamic) and put it in the fridge until I got around to actually cooking the roast tonight. After stuffing and tying it back up, I browned it on all sides in a frying pan, then put it (and the pan juices deglazed with white wine) into a baking dish, lightly covered in a 375-degree oven.

Verdict to come in about 40 minutes...


Your meals always sound great.

Maybe a second career as a cookbook or menu writer!


No money in that!

I think you need to become a personal chef. I'll let you know when I'm hiring. ;)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

User avatar
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 31317
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:39 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 am

Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:
jgore wrote:
La wrote:I just put a pork loin roast into the oven. I cut it open and stuffed it with a mixture of onion, garlic, mushrooms, dates, figs, pecans and Balsamic vinegar. I made the stuffing the other night (sauteed all that in a pan, deglazed with Balsamic) and put it in the fridge until I got around to actually cooking the roast tonight. After stuffing and tying it back up, I browned it on all sides in a frying pan, then put it (and the pan juices deglazed with white wine) into a baking dish, lightly covered in a 375-degree oven.

Verdict to come in about 40 minutes...


Your meals always sound great.

Maybe a second career as a cookbook or menu writer!


No money in that!

I think you need to become a personal chef. I'll let you know when I'm hiring. ;)

Sorry, I've already got dibs on La. She cooks, I clean. :wink:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

User avatar
Stampie
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9005
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 pm
Location: Lotus Land

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Stampie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Habs4ever wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:
jgore wrote:
La wrote:I just put a pork loin roast into the oven. I cut it open and stuffed it with a mixture of onion, garlic, mushrooms, dates, figs, pecans and Balsamic vinegar. I made the stuffing the other night (sauteed all that in a pan, deglazed with Balsamic) and put it in the fridge until I got around to actually cooking the roast tonight. After stuffing and tying it back up, I browned it on all sides in a frying pan, then put it (and the pan juices deglazed with white wine) into a baking dish, lightly covered in a 375-degree oven.

Verdict to come in about 40 minutes...


Your meals always sound great.

Maybe a second career as a cookbook or menu writer!


No money in that!

I think you need to become a personal chef. I'll let you know when I'm hiring. ;)

Sorry, I've already got dibs on La. She cooks, I clean. :wink:

So where does that leave Steve Habs? Is he now redundant? :lol:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

User avatar
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 31317
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:39 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Habs4ever » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Stampie wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
La wrote:
jgore wrote:
La wrote:I just put a pork loin roast into the oven. I cut it open and stuffed it with a mixture of onion, garlic, mushrooms, dates, figs, pecans and Balsamic vinegar. I made the stuffing the other night (sauteed all that in a pan, deglazed with Balsamic) and put it in the fridge until I got around to actually cooking the roast tonight. After stuffing and tying it back up, I browned it on all sides in a frying pan, then put it (and the pan juices deglazed with white wine) into a baking dish, lightly covered in a 375-degree oven.

Verdict to come in about 40 minutes...


Your meals always sound great.

Maybe a second career as a cookbook or menu writer!


No money in that!

I think you need to become a personal chef. I'll let you know when I'm hiring. ;)

Sorry, I've already got dibs on La. She cooks, I clean. :wink:

So where does that leave Steve Habs? Is he now redundant? :lol:

He's WaterBoy. :wink:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Samantha
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 52011
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Samantha » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Wiener schnitzel, mashed potatoes, gravy, broccoli and salad with red wine dijon mustard vinaigrette dressing

Samantha
Donovan Bailey
Posts: 52011
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:08 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Samantha » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Made this tonight:
http://barefootcontessa.com/recipes.asp ... ID=632&S=0

very yummy, very easy.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams
Posts: 17817
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: B.C.

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:52 pm

On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams
Posts: 15481
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:11 pm
Location: London

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:59 pm

http://www.mostlyhomemademom.com/2014/0 ... l.html?m=1

Made this tonight. I didn't have low sodium soya sauce so i used less than it called for and used fresh ginger. Yummy and REALLY simple!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

User avatar
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams
Posts: 19368
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:http://www.mostlyhomemademom.com/2014/07/eggroll-in-bowl.html?m=1

Made this tonight. I didn't have low sodium soya sauce so i used less than it called for and used fresh ginger. Yummy and REALLY simple!


I do a similar one with ground beef which is a supperworks knock-off - you serve it in tortillas, though i have also done it in lettuce wrappers or over rice.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

User avatar
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 31317
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:39 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:48 pm

BBQ burgers, potato salad, munchie mix and ice cream sandwiches. It's too hot to cook and there are 11 of us! :lol:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

User avatar
NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 4335
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby NewFinnLoper » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Had my first garden grown lettuce and kale salad last night! Mmmmmmmm!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams
Posts: 17817
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: B.C.

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:39 pm

Last night's linguine with red clam sauce was a hit- I didn't tell the boys there were clams in the sauce and they loved it! You should have seen their faces when I told them after their plates were empty :shock:
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams
Posts: 17817
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: B.C.

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:40 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:http://www.mostlyhomemademom.com/2014/07/eggroll-in-bowl.html?m=1

Made this tonight. I didn't have low sodium soya sauce so i used less than it called for and used fresh ginger. Yummy and REALLY simple!


oh that looks good- thanks for sharing the link.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams
Posts: 17817
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:13 pm
Location: B.C.

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:40 pm

NewFinnLoper wrote:Had my first garden grown lettuce and kale salad last night! Mmmmmmmm!


Nice!
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

User avatar
NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 4335
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby NewFinnLoper » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:58 pm

When we were in Golden BC we happened on a little cafe that served the Glory Bowl salad. DH and I are totally hooked on this dressing (and salad) - it is sooo yummy!!

We found the dressing in a bottle while we were out there but ran out quickly so I made it myself last night. I think I like my homemade version of the dressing more. 8)

This serves 8 so can easily be adjusted for as many people as you like.

Glory Bowl Salad

The Bowl
8 cups cooked quinoa
2 cups spinach leaves
2 cups beets, grated
2 cups carrots, grated
2 cups grated zucchini
2 cups almonds, toasted

Layer the ingredients in individual bowls in the order listed then drizzle the dressing over top (I like to drizzle a little over the quinoa before finishing the layering)

Glory Bowl Dressing
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 tbsp tahini paste
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby La » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:57 am

Sounds yummy! We had a version of that at Tri Camp this past spring and liked it so much I started making it myself at home. I need to get back to that kind of healthy eating. Thanks for the reminder.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright


Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest