Cottage eats

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
User avatar
Size5
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12651
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Red Deer

Cottage eats

Postby Size5 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:47 am

It's that time of year where I start to plan out the 2 weeks of food I'll need for the cottage. I like to pre cook some things and bring them with me but I'm not adverse to cooking ay the cottage. We have all the options, BBQ, slow cooker, stove, oven... I bring the usuals (lasagna, chili type things) but I'm looking for something new to try. Curry is the only thing that is rejected in my house :( .

We tend to eat hearty food at the cottage as we hike and bike quite a bit. So, what is your cottage favorite? Or even if you don't have a cottage , what do you like to take camping or a hearty dish that is your fav?

So far the menu has:

Slow cooker baked beans
Lasagna
Chicken enchilada
Home made chicken burgers for the grill
BBQ beef on a bun (a slow cooker dish)

I need about 5 more dishes.

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

User avatar
Size5
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12651
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Red Deer

Re: Cottage eats

Postby Size5 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:49 am

Oh, I want to mostly bring it all with me, I generally avoid the grocery store in town. I find I can get away with this for most of the time but tend to run out of salad type things so I replenish them, but the rest I bring from home.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

User avatar
fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6257
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Guelph, ON
Contact:

Re: Cottage eats

Postby fe.RMT » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:58 am

um, why do you need to be eating anything other than smores? I mean, PC even makes a KIT!
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

User avatar
Size5
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12651
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Red Deer

Re: Cottage eats

Postby Size5 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:16 am

fe.sweetpea wrote:um, why do you need to be eating anything other than smores? I mean, PC even makes a KIT!

:lol: I will NOT be buying a s'mores kit to take to the cottage!
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

BJH
Lynn Williams
Posts: 18924
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:04 am
Location: Midtown Toronto

Re: Cottage eats

Postby BJH » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:40 am

beer can chicken, grilled veggies and sweet potato
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

User avatar
eme
Lynn Williams
Posts: 16644
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Cottage eats

Postby eme » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:51 am

Perogies.

User avatar
Size5
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12651
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Red Deer

Re: Cottage eats

Postby Size5 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:56 am

BJH wrote:beer can chicken, grilled veggies and sweet potato

I've never done it so I think I'll try it! our BBQ is very hot, I hope that is ok...
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012


BJH
Lynn Williams
Posts: 18924
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:04 am
Location: Midtown Toronto

Re: Cottage eats

Postby BJH » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:38 am

Size5 wrote:
BJH wrote:beer can chicken, grilled veggies and sweet potato

I've never done it so I think I'll try it! our BBQ is very hot, I hope that is ok...

It's pretty easy. Remember a meat thermometer. And a beer. And a volunteer to drink the required third of the can.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

trixiee
Lynn Williams
Posts: 17644
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:26 pm

Re: Cottage eats

Postby trixiee » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 am

We usually go fishing, and enjoy at least one fish fry... What about pie irons?
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Tisha
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Cottage eats

Postby Tisha » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:32 am

When we go to the lake I usually pre-make chili and have it for lunch/supper the first day out. I did make it on sight last year and it turned out very nice. It was a vegetarian chili in the cook book but we like meat in ours. I also like peppers, mushrooms, and onions in my chili so those were added as well (hence the inaccurate measurements).

Chili (adapted from Better Homes and Gardens cook book)

Couple turns of olive oil in soup/stock pot.
1/2 - 3/4 of each: red, yellow, orange, green peppers, cut into cubes
1 lb or so of mushrooms, quartered or sliced (I like to do a half and half split with button and crimini mushrooms)
1/2 a large onion, chopped
3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced

Sweat veggies until tender then add a couple pounds of ground turkey. Cook through.

Add:
2 cans (14 1/2 oz) chunky chili-style tomatoes or stewed tomatoes, undrained (I use diced tomatoes)
1 can (12 oz) beer or 1 can (14 oz) beef broth (We seem to like Canadian beer the best so far)
1 cup water
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
3 - 4 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp snipped fresh oregano (added later) or 1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1 tbsp Dijon-style mustard
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
3 cans (15 oz) pinto beans, white kidney beans, and/or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I use one can of each type)

Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.

Add:
2 cups fresh or frozen whole kernel corn

Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes more.

Stir in fresh oregano here, if using.

If desired, top each serving with:
shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
sour cream

Tisha
Bill Crothers
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:20 am
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Cottage eats

Postby Tisha » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:33 am

trixiee wrote:We usually go fishing, and enjoy at least one fish fry... What about pie irons?


Mmmmm ... fish fry! Is there an emoticon salivating?!?

Marg
Site Admin
Posts: 13480
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: Cottage eats

Postby Marg » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Tisha wrote:
trixiee wrote:We usually go fishing, and enjoy at least one fish fry... What about pie irons?


Mmmmm ... fish fry! Is there an emoticon salivating?!?


Why yes, yes there is :drool:
It is also what I'm doing reading this thread!

I like the perogy suggestion.
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

User avatar
seuss
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 27055
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:46 am
Location: Wet Coast

Re: Cottage eats

Postby seuss » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:36 pm

slow cooker curried chicken with sweet potatoes
******
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

User avatar
Size5
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12651
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Red Deer

Re: Cottage eats

Postby Size5 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:57 pm

seuss wrote:slow cooker curried chicken with sweet potatoes

Are you joking? Maybe not? Curry, as I mentioned is the one thing that is rejected in my house.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

User avatar
seuss
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 27055
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:46 am
Location: Wet Coast

Re: Cottage eats

Postby seuss » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:04 pm

Size5 wrote:
seuss wrote:slow cooker curried chicken with sweet potatoes

Are you joking? Maybe not? Curry, as I mentioned is the one thing that is rejected in my house.


oops! - i was serious. obviously you expect me to have the short term memory to recall something in your post that i read less than a minute ago! :lol: ah well - more for me!
******
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

User avatar
eme
Lynn Williams
Posts: 16644
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Cottage eats

Postby eme » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:09 pm

seuss wrote:
Size5 wrote:
seuss wrote:slow cooker curried chicken with sweet potatoes

Are you joking? Maybe not? Curry, as I mentioned is the one thing that is rejected in my house.


oops! - i was serious. obviously you expect me to have the short term memory to recall something in your post that i read less than a minute ago! :lol: ah well - more for me!


Can I have the recipe? We like curry :D

User avatar
seuss
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 27055
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:46 am
Location: Wet Coast

Re: Cottage eats

Postby seuss » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:16 pm

eme wrote:
seuss wrote:
Size5 wrote:
seuss wrote:slow cooker curried chicken with sweet potatoes

Are you joking? Maybe not? Curry, as I mentioned is the one thing that is rejected in my house.


oops! - i was serious. obviously you expect me to have the short term memory to recall something in your post that i read less than a minute ago! :lol: ah well - more for me!


Can I have the recipe? We like curry :D


phew! redemption.

it was this one. i like yams instead of potatoes, but both are good. thighs work as well as drums. Thing 1 who won't eat anything that isn't meat and potatoes went crazy over it. love doing slow cooker stuff on vacation. throw it together, go have fun, come home hungry.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/5 ... 4545.shtml
******
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

User avatar
seuss
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 27055
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:46 am
Location: Wet Coast

Re: Cottage eats

Postby seuss » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:17 pm

more hijack - Colleen, why did i think you were vegan?
******
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

User avatar
eme
Lynn Williams
Posts: 16644
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:51 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: Cottage eats

Postby eme » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:20 pm

seuss wrote:more hijack - Colleen, why did i think you were vegan?


I am, but DH and the boy are not, FIL loves curry as well.

I can also modify to make veggie (I have two slow cookers).

User avatar
seuss
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 27055
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:46 am
Location: Wet Coast

Re: Cottage eats

Postby seuss » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:22 pm

eme wrote:
seuss wrote:more hijack - Colleen, why did i think you were vegan?


I am, but DH and the boy are not, FIL loves curry as well.

I can also modify to make veggie (I have two slow cookers).


this would be very yummy vegan - chick peas...
******
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

User avatar
seuss
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 27055
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:46 am
Location: Wet Coast

Re: Cottage eats

Postby seuss » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:24 pm

back on topic now...

i always like to whiz up a couple of crisp toppings in the food processor and then throw it into ziplocks for quick fruit crisp using local fruit.

and a nice chowder with baking powder biscuits [bisquick for camping] - corn, clam/seafood, whatever...
******
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

User avatar
kab
Bruce Kidd
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:15 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Cottage eats

Postby kab » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Garden Fresh Salsa
Go to the garden and pick a sweet pepper, a hot pepper, 2 tomatoes, an onion, a garlic and some parsley and cilantro. Chop them all very finely and mix together with about 2-3 tablespoons balsalmic vinegar. Then go for a long run and eat the whole bowl when you get home. Really, I couldn't stop it was so good. You can also add fresh corn or black beans or whatever suits your craving.
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

User avatar
Size5
Lynn Williams
Posts: 12651
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Red Deer

Re: Cottage eats

Postby Size5 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:30 am

kab wrote:Garden Fresh Salsa
Go to the garden and pick a sweet pepper, a hot pepper, 2 tomatoes, an onion, a garlic and some parsley and cilantro. Chop them all very finely and mix together with about 2-3 tablespoons balsalmic vinegar. Then go for a long run and eat the whole bowl when you get home. Really, I couldn't stop it was so good. You can also add fresh corn or black beans or whatever suits your craving.

Kab has obviously never visited the NET :lol: or you'd know how much I hate cilantro and peppers. Sadly I do not have a garden either at the cottage (where the elk would eat it) or here at home. Sounds yummy though :D (minus the icky parts) :lol:
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

User avatar
kab
Bruce Kidd
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:15 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Cottage eats

Postby kab » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:39 am

Leave them out and you'll have your own bowl!
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1


Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests