Cottage eats

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Re: Cottage eats

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:55 am

Wow, you're ambitious at the lake. We just barbeque simple stuff - burgers, steaks, chicken, smokies, hot dogs.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Size5 wrote:
kab wrote:Garden Fresh Salsa
Go to the garden and pick a sweet pepper, a hot pepper, 2 tomatoes, an onion, a garlic and some parsley and cilantro. Chop them all very finely and mix together with about 2-3 tablespoons balsalmic vinegar. Then go for a long run and eat the whole bowl when you get home. Really, I couldn't stop it was so good. You can also add fresh corn or black beans or whatever suits your craving.

Kab has obviously never visited the NET :lol: or you'd know how much I hate cilantro and peppers. Sadly I do not have a garden either at the cottage (where the elk would eat it) or here at home. Sounds yummy though :D (minus the icky parts) :lol:

Cilantro is the devil. :sick:

Joe Dwarf
Bill Crothers

Postby Joe Dwarf » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:24 pm

Samantha wrote:
Size5 wrote:
Go to the garden and pick a sweet pepper, a hot pepper, 2 tomatoes, an onion, a garlic and some parsley and cilantro. Chop them all very finely and mix together with about 2-3 tablespoons balsalmic vinegar. Then go for a long run and eat the whole bowl when you get home. Really, I couldn't stop it was so good. You can also add fresh corn or black beans or whatever suits your craving.

Kab has obviously never visited the NET :lol: or you'd know how much I hate cilantro and peppers. Sadly I do not have a garden either at the cottage (where the elk would eat it) or here at home. Sounds yummy though :D (minus the icky parts) :lol:

Cilantro is the devil. :sick:
It's not salsa without peppers, it's just tomato salad. I love cilantro in salsa.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:03 pm

Joe Dwarf wrote:Wow, you're ambitious at the lake. We just barbeque simple stuff - burgers, steaks, chicken, smokies, hot dogs.

That's what we do too. I also like to shop at the local store for stuff. I pack very little! Maybe b/c we only have 1 cooler?
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Variation for all the weird pepper haters out there (and we all know who you are from the NET):

Fresh, cut up tomatoes, fresh cut up garlic, same measurement of balsamic vinegar, chopped fresh cilanto or basil and let sit & cure for a couple of hours. Beautiful fast & healthy dip to use with flat breads (store bought or homemade), crackers, toast, etc.
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Trail Child wrote:

Variation for all the weird pepper haters out there (and we all know who you are from the NET):

Fresh, cut up tomatoes, fresh cut up garlic, same measurement of balsamic vinegar, chopped fresh cilanto or basil and let sit & cure for a couple of hours. Beautiful fast & healthy dip to use with flat breads (store bought or homemade), crackers, toast, etc.

Yum. Must try this on the weekend.

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:33 pm

Trail Child wrote:

i do a similar one to that - i also add some dijon mustard and capers. very yummy with halved cherry tomatoes fresh from the garden.
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:43 pm

trixiee wrote:
Joe Dwarf wrote:Wow, you're ambitious at the lake. We just barbeque simple stuff - burgers, steaks, chicken, smokies, hot dogs.

That's what we do too. I also like to shop at the local store for stuff. I pack very little! Maybe b/c we only have 1 cooler?
The local store has kind of crappy quality for a high price, so I've adapted and bought 3 soft sided coolers :lol:
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:17 pm

If you're my mom, you'll bring a turkey. No. I'm not joking. And you know that.
Race Hard. Race Happy.

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:16 pm

We usually do a bunch of different dips with veggies, flatbreads/crisps/pita. Something good to nibble on when you aren't really feeling like dinner.

I used to do chili for skit trips all the time. Can eat the chili, or use it to make yummy nachos (chips, chili, cheese, chips, chili, cheese & then bake for a bit).

Bean salads keep really well, and I add a bunch of different stuff to mine: sun-dried tomato, roasted red pepper, marinated artichoke hearts, olives.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:46 pm

So what meals are you adding to the list?

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:58 pm

CinC wrote:If you're my mom, you'll bring a turkey. No. I'm not joking. And you know that.

Do we have the same mom? Really sounds familiar. We had a turkey in the 5th wheel one year we were holidaying in The States. :roll:

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:04 pm

Tisha wrote:
CinC wrote:If you're my mom, you'll bring a turkey. No. I'm not joking. And you know that.

Do we have the same mom? Really sounds familiar. We had a turkey in the 5th wheel one year we were holidaying in The States. :roll:

you say that like it's a bad thing! :D
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:01 pm

My mom tends to go overboard with anything she does. Especially when it comes to food. I still can't believe she did a full turkey dinner on holidays. And it was hot out to boot! She's a funny lady, but she's my mom! :D

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:24 pm

Tisha wrote:My mom tends to go overboard with anything she does. Especially when it comes to food. I still can't believe she did a full turkey dinner on holidays. And it was hot out to boot! She's a funny lady, but she's my mom! :D

My mom always felt the need to feed an army - my teenage friends loved her, since she always fed them when they came over :lol:

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:43 pm

We just returned from a week in a log cabin, no electricity or running water. We cooked using a gas stove and bbq. We had a lot of salads (potato, mixed green, tomato), corn on the cob, bbq'd steak / chicken / fish, tomato & veggie pasta sauce over 2 types of noodles (gluten free for dd & whole wheat), bacon & eggs (yes that was dinner) and homemade burgers. Most of the stuff we just bought locally because we only booked the cottage the day before we left, so there was little time to go shopping. I always find the small town grocery stores interesting, because they have things I've never seen. But the prices are usually outrageous :shock:
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:47 pm

getfit wrote:We just returned from a week in a log cabin, no electricity or running water.

:shock:

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Samantha wrote:
getfit wrote:We just returned from a week in a log cabin, no electricity or running water.

Yes, that was my first thought too :lol: But it was lovely and very cozy and had a huge screened in porch that looked over the lake. Our girls were even less enthusiastic, until we told them that they had horses and we could go on trail rides :D
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:51 pm

eme wrote:
Tisha wrote:My mom tends to go overboard with anything she does. Especially when it comes to food. I still can't believe she did a full turkey dinner on holidays. And it was hot out to boot! She's a funny lady, but she's my mom! :D

My mom always felt the need to feed an army - my teenage friends loved her, since she always fed them when they came over :lol:

Seriously ... are we related? My sister's and my friends constantly spent time at our house because of the food! And feeding an army ... I swear she could do it! :lol:

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:53 pm

getfit wrote:
Samantha wrote:

Yes, that was my first thought too :lol: But it was lovely and very cozy and had a huge screened in porch that looked over the lake. Our girls were even less enthusiastic, until we told them that they had horses and we could go on trail rides :D

Sounds like paradise!

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:24 am

Samantha wrote:So what meals are you adding to the list?

I haven't finalized the list yet. I'm teaching this week, which has taken up most of my brain power. Once that is over (thus) I'll finalize It! Plus, I'm still looking at all the links you sent me!
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

babysteps
Jerome Drayton

Postby babysteps » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:08 am

seuss wrote:
eme wrote:
seuss wrote:
Size5 wrote:
seuss wrote:slow cooker curried chicken with sweet potatoes

Are you joking? Maybe not? Curry, as I mentioned is the one thing that is rejected in my house.

oops! - i was serious. obviously you expect me to have the short term memory to recall something in your post that i read less than a minute ago! :lol: ah well - more for me!

Can I have the recipe? We like curry :D

phew! redemption.

it was this one. i like yams instead of potatoes, but both are good. thighs work as well as drums. Thing 1 who won't eat anything that isn't meat and potatoes went crazy over it. love doing slow cooker stuff on vacation. throw it together, go have fun, come home hungry.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/5 ... 4545.shtml

I just put it in the slow cooker for tonight! Thanks.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:57 am

My mom must have emailed CinC's mom because she emailed me to tell me she is bringing a turkey to the cottage :shock: :lol:
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:01 am

Size5 wrote:My mom must have emailed CinC's mom because she emailed me to tell me she is bringing a turkey to the cottage :shock: :lol:

:lol:

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Size5 wrote:My mom must have emailed CinC's mom because she emailed me to tell me she is bringing a turkey to the cottage :shock: :lol:

see? my mom is smart.

and I'm still giggling from your text about it last night!! too funny!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”