Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
User avatar
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Dr. S » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:51 pm

It's hard to get the same texture everytime. The batch that was cooling is a little on the hard side, I think I did it too long with the blender at the end! Not my best batch but hoping my SS will still like it.

I would love to get rich over making this LOL
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

User avatar
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Dr. S » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Just made a 2nd batch, blended less than a minute and OMG it is so good and so soft! Too bad SS gift is all wrapped up my first batch wasn't as good... oh well!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby La » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Dr. S wrote:Just made a 2nd batch, blended less than a minute and OMG it is so good and so soft! Too bad SS gift is all wrapped up my first batch wasn't as good... oh well!

Well, if you're still looking to give some away... :shifty:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Dr. S » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:09 pm

La wrote:
Dr. S wrote:Just made a 2nd batch, blended less than a minute and OMG it is so good and so soft! Too bad SS gift is all wrapped up my first batch wasn't as good... oh well!

Well, if you're still looking to give some away... :shifty:


Too bad!! I just packed it all up for small presents at work.

I cannot make a 3rd batch since my husband cannot resist it and he forbid me to make more LOL
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

User avatar
QuickChick
Lynn Williams
Posts: 13274
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:52 pm
Location: Whitby ON

Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby QuickChick » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:45 pm

I made 2 batches today and they both turned out great! I feel like I went into a bit of an insulin shock state after eating the scraps that were left, but I couldn't stop!
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

User avatar
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Dr. S » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:07 pm

QuickChick wrote:I made 2 batches today and they both turned out great! I feel like I went into a bit of an insulin shock state after eating the scraps that were left, but I couldn't stop!


I hear you! I've been on sucre a la creme overdose for 2 days now!! LOL
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

User avatar
fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6257
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Guelph, ON
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby fe.RMT » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:49 am

I managed to be the one to screw this up last year, but I am going to give it another shot today...
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

User avatar
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Dr. S » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 am

fe.RMT wrote:I managed to be the one to screw this up last year, but I am going to give it another shot today...


I edited the recipe in red! I think that might have been why yours wasn't great last year!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

User avatar
fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6257
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Guelph, ON
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby fe.RMT » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:01 am

Dr. S wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:I managed to be the one to screw this up last year, but I am going to give it another shot today...


I edited the recipe in red! I think that might have been why yours wasn't great last year!


it's in the pan right now and looks promising. This time I put the icing sugar into the bottom of the kitchen aid mixing bowl and then added the butter/sugar/creme mixture on top. Then I secured the bowl and started mixing. Stopped mixing after just shy of 2 minutes. It started to solidify almost as soon as it was in the pan so it is looking like it just might work!
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

User avatar
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Dr. S » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:50 am

fe.RMT wrote:
Dr. S wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:I managed to be the one to screw this up last year, but I am going to give it another shot today...


I edited the recipe in red! I think that might have been why yours wasn't great last year!


it's in the pan right now and looks promising. This time I put the icing sugar into the bottom of the kitchen aid mixing bowl and then added the butter/sugar/creme mixture on top. Then I secured the bowl and started mixing. Stopped mixing after just shy of 2 minutes. It started to solidify almost as soon as it was in the pan so it is looking like it just might work!


Yes! That's a very good sign :D
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

User avatar
fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6257
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Guelph, ON
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby fe.RMT » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:44 am

Dr. S wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:
Dr. S wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:I managed to be the one to screw this up last year, but I am going to give it another shot today...


I edited the recipe in red! I think that might have been why yours wasn't great last year!


it's in the pan right now and looks promising. This time I put the icing sugar into the bottom of the kitchen aid mixing bowl and then added the butter/sugar/creme mixture on top. Then I secured the bowl and started mixing. Stopped mixing after just shy of 2 minutes. It started to solidify almost as soon as it was in the pan so it is looking like it just might work!


Yes! That's a very good sign :D


I still had to put it in the freezer for a about 10 minutes... it was soft in the center and when I was cutting it the top was 'sliding' around the softer bottom. But the freezer trick seems to have worked.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby La » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:01 pm

fe.RMT wrote:
Dr. S wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:
Dr. S wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:I managed to be the one to screw this up last year, but I am going to give it another shot today...


I edited the recipe in red! I think that might have been why yours wasn't great last year!


it's in the pan right now and looks promising. This time I put the icing sugar into the bottom of the kitchen aid mixing bowl and then added the butter/sugar/creme mixture on top. Then I secured the bowl and started mixing. Stopped mixing after just shy of 2 minutes. It started to solidify almost as soon as it was in the pan so it is looking like it just might work!


Yes! That's a very good sign :D


I still had to put it in the freezer for a about 10 minutes... it was soft in the center and when I was cutting it the top was 'sliding' around the softer bottom. But the freezer trick seems to have worked.

If you have a candy thermometer, you want it to be at the "soft ball" stage, which is 235F.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6257
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Guelph, ON
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby fe.RMT » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:26 am

La wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:
Dr. S wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:
Dr. S wrote:
fe.RMT wrote:I managed to be the one to screw this up last year, but I am going to give it another shot today...


I edited the recipe in red! I think that might have been why yours wasn't great last year!


it's in the pan right now and looks promising. This time I put the icing sugar into the bottom of the kitchen aid mixing bowl and then added the butter/sugar/creme mixture on top. Then I secured the bowl and started mixing. Stopped mixing after just shy of 2 minutes. It started to solidify almost as soon as it was in the pan so it is looking like it just might work!


Yes! That's a very good sign :D


I still had to put it in the freezer for a about 10 minutes... it was soft in the center and when I was cutting it the top was 'sliding' around the softer bottom. But the freezer trick seems to have worked.

If you have a candy thermometer, you want it to be at the "soft ball" stage, which is 235F.


when boiling on the stove? I don't have a candy thermometer, but I would like one (as well as a meat thermometer)... so I will add it to my list :)
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby La » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:38 am

fe.RMT wrote:
La wrote:If you have a candy thermometer, you want it to be at the "soft ball" stage, which is 235F.

when boiling on the stove? I don't have a candy thermometer, but I would like one (as well as a meat thermometer)... so I will add it to my list :)

Yes. You can also test whether you are at the soft ball stage by dipping a spoon in the boiling mixture, letting most of it drip off, then put a few drops into cold water. If it forms into a soft ball, then it's at the soft ball stage and it's ready. Different types of candy need to get up to different stages. Fudge is usually soft ball, caramels would be hard ball, and hard candy would the hard crack stage. There's also soft crack, but I don't know what that would be used for (candy apples?). My candy thermometer (that was my grandmother's) has the temperatures and the "stages" written on it.

So, I'm assuming that "boiling for 5 minutes" would get it to the soft ball stage.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby La » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:08 pm

I just made a batch (droooool) and 5 minutes of boiling time (actually a bit less) took it to the hard ball stage (it got to soft ball within 2-3 minutes). Hard ball is 250-265F. It looks like it's going to set up just fine!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby La » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:59 pm

Sonia, is it supposed to be a little bit crumbly? I cut mine while it was still a bit warm on the bottom, but it's still pretty hard/crumbly.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

User avatar
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Dr. S » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:46 pm

La wrote:Sonia, is it supposed to be a little bit crumbly? I cut mine while it was still a bit warm on the bottom, but it's still pretty hard/crumbly.


Yes they are crumbly that's why if you don't at least make the lines to cut them while they are a bit hot, later on it will be impossible.

Crumbs are good since you can keep them for yourself! :D
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

User avatar
NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 4335
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:57 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby NewFinnLoper » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:16 am

OMG this fudge is awesome!!!!!! :D :D :D

Made it yesterday because I don't have a candy thermometer and didn't need one...And soooo easy! Thanks for sharing!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

User avatar
fe.RMT
Jerome Drayton
Posts: 6257
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:06 am
Location: Guelph, ON
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby fe.RMT » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:45 am

Mine is totally fine as long as it doesn't sit at room temperature too long, then it gets quite soft.
The rumours are true......

2013:
Thanksgiving Day 5k: 27:26

Coming up:
ORW Half Marathon
NYC Marathon 2014

User avatar
Stampie
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9005
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 pm
Location: Lotus Land

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Stampie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:20 pm

fe.RMT wrote:Mine is totally fine as long as it doesn't sit at room temperature too long, then it gets quite soft.

That will happen if kept at room temperature for too long. Mind you that will never happen with mine, it will get eaten before that even remotely happens. :lol:

Speaking of Sucre a la crème, I'm planning to make my batch later tonight.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

User avatar
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Dr. S » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:41 am

I'm bumping this because I couldn't find my recipe since I got this new laptop!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

User avatar
Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 28747
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:12 am

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks for bumping...I'd like to make this some weekend when I'm in Ottawa...my Dad will love it!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

User avatar
Dr. S
Abby Hoffman
Posts: 9646
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: Montreal
Contact:

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Dr. S » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Made my first batch last night and I think it was the best I've ever made, lucky secret santa recipient!

My Aunt is experimenting a sucre a la creme made with maple syrup. If the recipe is good, I'll share it here :D
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

User avatar
Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 28747
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:12 am

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Dr. S wrote:Made my first batch last night and I think it was the best I've ever made, lucky secret santa recipient!

My Aunt is experimenting a sucre a la creme made with maple syrup. If the recipe is good, I'll share it here :D



I'd love to see that one...I have lots of good maple syrup (one of my clients has a farm and taps his trees)....I'm always looking for ways to use it!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

User avatar
La
Kevin Sullivan
Posts: 47990
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:11 pm
Location: Lesleyville!

Re: Sucre a la creme (sugar cream fudge)

Postby La » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
Dr. S wrote:Made my first batch last night and I think it was the best I've ever made, lucky secret santa recipient!

My Aunt is experimenting a sucre a la creme made with maple syrup. If the recipe is good, I'll share it here :D



I'd love to see that one...I have lots of good maple syrup (one of my clients has a farm and taps his trees)....I'm always looking for ways to use it!

I'd take some off your hands, Jo-jo! I LOVE maple syrup! It's my go-to sweetener. I've noticed the price going up this year. A jug at loblaws that used to be about $12 is now selling for $16.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright


Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest