Zucchini Brownies

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Zucchini Brownies

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:47 pm

This is an old RM favourite of mine, which I am posting by popular request. These are my DH's favourite brownies. I was able to find my chocolate-covered post-in note that contained my recipe.

Combine dry ingredients:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients:

1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup grated zucchini

Add wet ingredients to dry and add 1 cup chocolate chips. Stir *just* to ensure they are combined. Batter will be very thick.

Bake in an 8x8 pan for 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees F. I usually use parchment paper in my pan so they lift out easily.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Re: Zucchini Brownies

Postby Sandra » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:01 pm

I really want to make these now, but have no eggs. :(
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:40 am

Thank you!!!
I will hopefully make them in the next couple of weeks :D
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:25 am

I made one that took the zucchini and put it through the food processor. It was really nice when made with a dark coco. http://www.theyummylife.com/Zucchini_Brownies
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:07 am

Yum. Both of those recipes look great! Thanks for sharing.
Carm

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:48 am

Thank you, Scrummy. My mouth is watering, just reading the recipe!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:31 pm

Mmm.... Both those recipes look good. I'll have to try them both out. I'm thinking Size5's might have the edge since they will likely be moister.
:drool: :drool: :drool:
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Vegetables do not belong in desserts.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:22 pm

And here I was wondering what to do with the giant zucchini that I got from a coworker...

Sent from my SGH-T589R using Tapatalk 2

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:30 pm

eme wrote:And here I was wondering what to do with the giant zucchini that I got from a coworker...

Sent from my SGH-T589R using Tapatalk 2

Don't go there Andy... :naughty: :hand:
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:43 pm

ultraslacker wrote:Vegetables do not belong in desserts.

I agree with you when it comes to zucchini. Most of the zucchini recipes I know are the answer to the question "What the hell do I do with all this **** zucchini? Why did I plant zucchini? That was stupid."

But on the other hand, carrot cake and red velvet cupcakes are pretty good.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:48 pm

The worst vegetable-based dessert I ever had was my mother's Green Tomato Pie. Mom is a great cook, but sometimes a little too experimental. This green tomato pie is a legit old-timey recipe that, I suppose, was meant to use up some of the green tomatoes left at the end of the season. It is a waste of a pie to make this one--better to throw the green tomatoes in the compost!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:49 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

I agree with you when it comes to zucchini. Most of the zucchini recipes I know are the answer to the question "What the hell do I do with all this **** zucchini? Why did I plant zucchini? That was stupid."

True, but zucchini walnut loaf is amazing also.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

bruyere
Abby Hoffman

Postby bruyere » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:22 pm

turd ferguson wrote:

This drove me to log in and ask (because a quick Google didn't tell me) -- what's the vegetable in red velvet cupcakes?

(I thought maybe beets, but no... that special red ingredient seems to be food colouring, at least in the recipes I found.)
"I was thinking of you yesterday as I was running through the woods. As I jumped over a fallen tree I said "If I were [bruyere], I'd be bleeding by now"." - Turd Ferguson

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:30 pm

bruyere wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

This drove me to log in and ask (because a quick Google didn't tell me) -- what's the vegetable in red velvet cupcakes?

(I thought maybe beets, but no... that special red ingredient seems to be food colouring, at least in the recipes I found.)

That is correct, just a lot of red dye from my understaning.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:34 pm

bruyere wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

There's lots of red velvet cake recipes with beets out there - google "red velvet beets"
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Stampie wrote:
bruyere wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

That is correct, just a lot of red dye from my understaning.

:whistle:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
bruyere wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

There's lots of red velvet cake recipes with beets out there - google "red velvet beets"

What a timely post - I've got a metric ****load of beets from my FIL's garden. He planted way too many and gave us the rest, so I've now got the kids on an all beet-juice diet. The kitchen counter and the toilets look like a crime scene.

But I still won't try to hide them in brownies.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:33 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:
bruyere wrote:
turd ferguson wrote:

What a timely post - I've got a metric ****load of beets from my FIL's garden. He planted way too many and gave us the rest, so I've now got the kids on an all beet-juice diet. The kitchen counter and the toilets look like a crime scene.

But I still won't try to hide them in brownies.

Yeah, there is a better BC staple that can be used to hide in Brownie’s... Just sayin’

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:45 am

Stampie wrote:Yeah, there is a better BC staple that can be used to hide in Brownie’s... Just sayin’

I just snorted coffee out my nose. Thanks for the burning sensation and the laugh, Stampie!

I want to try both recipes as well. They sound very yummy! And what a great way to use up all the ****** zucchini from the garden!

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”