David's Tea

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
oink

Re: David's Tea

Postby oink » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:43 am

Now those all sound scrumpcious....the question is though, how much calories do the individual flavours contain?

Tori wrote:Winter Teas are out! :dance:

When winter rolls around, we can’t help but fantasize about roaring fires, fresh-baked cookies and, of course, great tea. Call us old fashioned, but we still love the simple pleasures best. Which is why this is our richest, most comforting collection ever. So go ahead and warm up with cup of a dessert-inspired tea like Cookie Dough or Banana Dream Pie. Or indulge in a little nostalgia with returning fan faves Chocolate Chili Chai and Alpine Punch. Or recover from your holiday feasting with a soothing cup of Cocomint Cream. Don’t you just love this long, chilly season?

I think I will have to test out cookie dough and cocomint cream.

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:39 pm

oink wrote:Now those all sound scrumpcious....the question is though, how much calories do the individual flavours contain?

Tori wrote:Winter Teas are out! :dance:

When winter rolls around, we can’t help but fantasize about roaring fires, fresh-baked cookies and, of course, great tea. Call us old fashioned, but we still love the simple pleasures best. Which is why this is our richest, most comforting collection ever. So go ahead and warm up with cup of a dessert-inspired tea like Cookie Dough or Banana Dream Pie. Or indulge in a little nostalgia with returning fan faves Chocolate Chili Chai and Alpine Punch. Or recover from your holiday feasting with a soothing cup of Cocomint Cream. Don’t you just love this long, chilly season?

I think I will have to test out cookie dough and cocomint cream.

I was wondering that too...

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:41 pm

gnu wrote:
oink wrote:Now those all sound scrumpcious....the question is though, how much calories do the individual flavours contain?

I was wondering that too...

http://www.davidstea.com/faq

How many calories are there in your tea?
With all the fun sprinkles, candies and caramel bits that find their way into some of our teas, some sceptics wonder whether these blends are still a healthy beverage choice. The truth is that we routinely test the blends that contain sugary ingredients for their sugar and caloric content. So far, the caloric content in the liquor of these teas is below the limit that must be declared on food labels. They are not all at zero, but none are more than 5 calories per cup of tea.

And what about public enemy number one – sugar? Not to worry, our teas have all tested below 1 g of sugar per cup of tea (according to our steeping instructions).

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:00 pm

Thanks, deerdree!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:38 pm

I also read on the FB page that Santa's Secret (the black tea with mint) WILL be back this year starting November 7. It must be part of the holiday collection.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Derek stopped at DT in Bayshore on the way home. He was really pumped about the Cocomint Cream and it was the Tea of the Day. His verdict? "It sucked". This from someone who guzzles Santa's Secret, Mother's Little Helper, Read My Lips - okay, mint teas. He couldn't nail down what specifically turned him off, but a couple of the staff and customers mentioned it as "lacking".

Cookie Dough smelled meh in the package, but after Derek steeped a cup - I'll admit to stealing it. Divine 8)

Banana Nut Bread from the fall collection tasted like fake banana to both of us, so we did not have high hopes for Banana Dream Pie. After smelling, and steeping, it was a hit! They used freeze dried banana chunks (instead of banana chips) this time around, and we both enjoyed it.

Derek also bought Swampwater for the kids. Pierce was delighted with the murky green colour, and the taste was a hit with both boys (and me!)

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:38 pm

I can't remember now which tea it was (one that I didn't buy) but the ingredient list mentioned that it contained dairy, even though it was a flavour that I never would have thought would contain dairy. For those who don't do dairy, watch out for it sneaking into teas in weird ways.

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:48 pm

Half-Mary wrote:I can't remember now which tea it was (one that I didn't buy) but the ingredient list mentioned that it contained dairy, even though it was a flavour that I never would have thought would contain dairy. For those who don't do dairy, watch out for it sneaking into teas in weird ways.

Carrot Cake is a good example.

Ingredients are: Oolong tea, apple pieces, carrot flakes and shreds, almond pieces, coconut shreds, artificial flavouring*.
Allergens are listed as Dairy, tree nuts and coconut.

Makes me wonder what's hiding the dairy??

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Good to have a report on cocomint! I will try cookie dough for sure. I'm going tomorrow!!
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:08 pm

I liked (and bought) the cocomint. When I made a cup tonight, it wasn't as strong as at the store, so I'll steep longer next time. I like it for an herbal option for at home.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:20 pm

I LOVE ALPINE'S PUNCH! OMG SO GOOD!! Also loved Chili chai chocolate. I also tried cookige dough in a mug, it was good but not enough for me to buy it.
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:45 pm

RA - you made a really good point. Derek thinks the store might not have steeped Cocomint enough for his taste preference. Thus the weak/lacking aspect. He might pick up enough to make a couple cups, and try steeping for a lot longer.

Dr.S - I just looked at the invoice from the teas Derek brought home. I had NO CLUE Cookie Dough was $10.50 for 50g :shock: While I really like the flavour/smell, I'll stick with my Happy Kombucha if I'm going to splurge on expensive tea!!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:52 pm

abirdd wrote:RA - you made a really good point. Derek thinks the store might not have steeped Cocomint enough for his taste preference. Thus the weak/lacking aspect. He might pick up enough to make a couple cups, and try steeping for a lot longer.

Dr.S - I just looked at the invoice from the teas Derek brought home. I had NO CLUE Cookie Dough was $10.50 for 50g :shock: While I really like the flavour/smell, I'll stick with my Happy Kombucha if I'm going to splurge on expensive tea!!

Those white teas are expensive! With all the reviews coming in, I can't wait till Wednesday. I think I will take a trip to the shop tomorrow and head back Wednesday on lunch to get my advent calendar. :D I got Owen a playmobil xmas advent calendar and I will have my tea one, now to find something fun for DH for December.

oink

Postby oink » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Red Rose from your local grocery store is just as good :lol:

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Dr. S wrote:I LOVE ALPINE'S PUNCH! OMG SO GOOD!!

Derek picked up 25g of this tea - and I got not a single cup or sip :( Apparently he and the kids guzzled it while I was out running today. Guess I'll be ordering more of this one.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:41 pm

I picked up the new banana one (Banana Dream Pie) and Cocomint today. I liked both of them - though I've only had one cup of each. I smelled the cookie dough one, but wasn't overly impressed, so I passed

The Glebe location had a bunch of different pre-packs of 25g on for 2 for $5, which is a good deal since most of the teas are usually $6.50+ for 50 g. They had most of the fall collection (including a more $ white tea) and some straight teas as well, I think. Not sure if this is overstock from the fall boxed sets? I already have hoarded away lots of the fall collection though, so didn't need more.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:02 pm

I got my advent calendar today! :dance: It lists the flavors on the back. I have some good ones to try. I also bought banana dream pie and alpine punch.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:02 am

Tori wrote:I got my advent calendar today! :dance: It lists the flavors on the back. I have some good ones to try. I also bought banana dream pie and alpine punch.

Is it a tea a day?

I want one :lol:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:40 am

Hmm, I think that I need to get one of those advent calendars. :)
Carm

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:19 am

They do look very cool - But I've already tried about 2/3 of the flavours, so I decided to pass. You will have to do reviews for us!

Santa's Secret is back with the holiday teas. I didn't really like Sleigh Ride last year, so I'll pass on that one.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 am

Dear Jessies, you make a delicious tea, love Denise
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

abirdd
Bill Crothers

Postby abirdd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:50 pm

I ordered the Advent Calendar. Derek and I agreed we'd split it - since many flavours I've tried, but he has not.

I also noticed they have "Christmas Crackers" - is this new? https://www.davidstea.com/holiday-crackers-with-tea?&TF=0C88C9665439&DEID=

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:34 pm

scrumhalfgirl wrote:They do look very cool - But I've already tried about 2/3 of the flavours, so I decided to pass. You will have to do reviews for us!

Santa's Secret is back with the holiday teas. I didn't really like Sleigh Ride last year, so I'll pass on that one.

I have only tried 6 of the flavours in the set, so lots to provide new reviews on. Can't wait to start!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:05 pm

abirdd wrote:I ordered the Advent Calendar. Derek and I agreed we'd split it - since many flavours I've tried, but he has not.

I also noticed they have "Christmas Crackers" - is this new? https://www.davidstea.com/holiday-crackers-with-tea?&TF=0C88C9665439&DEID=

they are! i think they're pretty fun!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

oink

Postby oink » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:10 pm

Appreciate all the recomendations and can't wait to get home and try some of the loot I just got from the store here. I got the Alpine punch just mentioned as well Banana cream pie, with 3 other flavours. I hope they as good as you guys are making them sound :lol:

One bonus though, was finding out there is a Govt 10% discount. They has a few of the advent calendars in the shop for $29.99 (which ironically is what my bill came to for 5 bags of different teas and a stainless steel strainer), is it calendar really worth that much though? Hmmmm
Last edited by oink on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”