Christmas Baking 2012

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Re: Christmas Baking 2012

Postby toobusy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:50 am

ultraslacker wrote:If I start my christmas baking, then I start my christmas eating. Going to put it off as long as possible. :P

sigh. Me too. Unless I get back to work and then I can take it and dump it!

I know that I will be making some fudge and sugar crack regardless, and the kids want to make stuff so I will give them some recipes and say Go.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:09 am

I was thinking I wanted to try making nanaimo bars. Anyone have a favourite recipe to share?
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:11 am

I will probably end up making my usuals (candy canes, slice-and-bake Christmas trees, hazelnut crinkles) but I also want to make gingerbread cut-outs this year, and a couple of gluten-free choices as my boss's wife was just diagnosed Celiac and is feeling overwhelmed by it (probably simple stuff like chocolate dipped pretzels, meringues, and flourless chewy chocolate chip cookies).

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 am

scrumhalfgirl wrote:I was thinking I wanted to try making nanaimo bars. Anyone have a favourite recipe to share?

I made a PB Nanaimo bar one year that was to die for. I have packed all my recipe books, but I could try and find it online.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:44 am

gnu wrote:I will probably end up making my usuals (candy canes, slice-and-bake Christmas trees, hazelnut crinkles) but I also want to make gingerbread cut-outs this year, and a couple of gluten-free choices as my boss's wife was just diagnosed Celiac and is feeling overwhelmed by it (probably simple stuff like chocolate dipped pretzels, meringues, and flourless chewy chocolate chip cookies).

Do pretzels have gluten?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Christmas Baking 2012

Postby Jwolf » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:06 am

Aren't pretzels made with wheat flour?
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:10 am

If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

kab
Bruce Kidd

Postby kab » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:17 pm

IronColl wrote:Snyders makes some gluten free:

http://www.snydersofhanover.com/Product ... /Prid/318/

Glutino brand as well:

http://www.glutino.com/ca-en/locate-a-retailer/

The Glutano ones are really good. I haven't tried the other ones.
My SIL makes truffles for me every year since I have Celiac disease and can't eat any of the goodies. I spent $18 on a small gluten free fruit cake last year that was very good. It lasted until the summer. It is the one thing that I have always missed at the holiday season and I love to take a bit when I go XC skiing or other cold weather activities (I'm sure it has a million calories per square inch).
Oct 26, 2014 Vancouver Rock and Roll Half
Feb 22, 2015 Hypothermic half wave 1

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:17 am

Habs4ever wrote:We decorated a ginger bread house today, does that count. :D

Oh, Susan, that is cute! I used to buy the house kit every year we had the girls for Christmas (alternated with Mom and step-dad). I never eat the darn things and they eventually hit the garbage but the girls always had so much fun decorating it. Now the girls are older and not around until January ... I think I'm going to pick up a kit anyways and keep the tradition alive. Dad and I have fun watching them get icing everywhere! :wink:

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:18 am

La wrote:I haven't 100% decided on a) whether I'll bake this year, and b) what I'll make. My usual is shortbread cookies. Last year I made some yummy meringues, that I think I'll make again. One batch with dark chocolate chunks and dried cherries, and the other with dried cranberries and pistachios.

Mmmmmm ... those meringues sound so good ... cranberries and pistachios ... what a great combination!

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:24 am

I have no clue what I'm going to bake this year. Seeing as the girls are both spending the holidays with their boyfriends' families I don't know if I need to bake. We are thinking of inviting both DH's and my family over for Christmas dinner though. Maybe I'll just do a dessert for Christmas Day and not put temptation out for DH and I to induldge in (me more so than him).

But ... I have done homemade turtles for gifts in the past. I'm having difficulty thinking of something for my sister and brother-in-law ... oh, boy ... guess I'm baking ...

Must not eat ... must not eat ... must not eat ...

Do you think I've convinced myself yet?!? Me neither ... :roll:

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:53 am

Last night I made candy cane bark.
White chocolate melted with crushed candy cane added in and a drop of peppermint extract. I wanted to swirl in the red food colouring but I didn't do it quite right and it's all pink now :lol: oops :oops:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:Last night I made candy cane bark.
White chocolate melted with crushed candy cane added in and a drop of peppermint extract. I wanted to swirl in the red food colouring but I didn't do it quite right and it's all pink now :lol: oops :oops:

What I would suggest for next time is pour out about 3/4 of the melted white chocolate onto your cookie sheet, add the red food colouring to what's left in the bowl (mix thoroughly), then swirl that "red" chocolate in with the the white chocolate that's already on the sheet. Comprend?

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:25 pm

La wrote:

What I would suggest for next time is pour out about 3/4 of the melted white chocolate onto your cookie sheet, add the red food colouring to what's left in the bowl (mix thoroughly), then swirl that "red" chocolate in with the the white chocolate that's already on the sheet. Comprend?

That's what I did :lol: (although I clearly didn't explain that it is what I did, I see now I made it seem as though I tried swirling in the food colouring on its own)

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:29 pm

Miss*Smiles wrote:
La wrote:

That's what I did :lol: (although I clearly didn't explain that it is what I did, I see now I made it seem as though I tried swirling in the food colouring on its own)

What did you use to swirl it with? Usually if you just draw a knife blade (just a regular dinner knife) through it it should swirl properly. Maybe it was still too liquidy and you should have waited until it firmed up a bit.

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:33 pm

La wrote:
Miss*Smiles wrote:
La wrote:

What did you use to swirl it with? Usually if you just draw a knife blade (just a regular dinner knife) through it it should swirl properly. Maybe it was still too liquidy and you should have waited until it firmed up a bit.

FIrst a toothpick (that's what I normally use) but it wasn't swirling so I used my spatula.

Good thing it will still taste yummy!

gnu
Jerome Drayton

Postby gnu » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:49 pm

kab wrote:
IronColl wrote:Snyders makes some gluten free:

http://www.snydersofhanover.com/Product ... /Prid/318/

Glutino brand as well:

http://www.glutino.com/ca-en/locate-a-retailer/

The Glutano ones are really good. I haven't tried the other ones.
My SIL makes truffles for me every year since I have Celiac disease and can't eat any of the goodies. I spent $18 on a small gluten free fruit cake last year that was very good. It lasted until the summer. It is the one thing that I have always missed at the holiday season and I love to take a bit when I go XC skiing or other cold weather activities (I'm sure it has a million calories per square inch).

My dad likes the Glutino ones as well - I couldn't even tell that they were gluten free. Last year I bought a bag and dipped them in chocolate for my dad.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:38 pm

All the smarties are now missing from the gingerbread house. :lol: It looks a bit bare.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:13 am

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:21 pm

Habs4ever wrote:All the smarties are now missing from the gingerbread house. :lol: It looks a bit bare.

We usually do one every Christmas and yes, it's pretty bare by the time Christmas actually arrives...the cookie part is always intact though... :lol:
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:02 am

NewFinnLoper wrote:
Habs4ever wrote:All the smarties are now missing from the gingerbread house. :lol: It looks a bit bare.

We usually do one every Christmas and yes, it's pretty bare by the time Christmas actually arrives...the cookie part is always intact though... :lol:

Funny how that seems to happen here as well ...

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Skor triangles made. They are for tomorrow night. The conversational English class I help with is getting together to decorate a friend's home and tree and eat Christmas baking.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Oooh.... The creme a sucre I made last year is going to be a "for sure" next weekend at the Christmas baking day.
Pat has requested balls. Chocolate ones. :lol: How funny would it be to find a chocolate salty balls recipe... I bet they would actually be good! I made salt and pepper chocolate cookies a couple of years ago and they were surprisingly delicious. I do have a great peanut butter chocolate ball recipe though, and it's pretty sure to please.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:13 pm

Lisa, if you want to try something new, I can post my buckeyes recipe... Basically pb , rice krispies, icing sugar balls dipped in chocolate. So yummy!!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:50 pm

I'm still without an oven, so I found some stovetop cookies to make for work tomorrow (cookie day!). Haystacks - just butter, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla extract heated up in a saucepan. Simmer 5 min, then stir in coconut and quick oats. I used a melon baller to scoop up the mix and make evenly sized haystacks on a cookie sheet, then cooled in the fridge.

Thank goodness they're going to work :lol: they're much too easy to eat every time I open the fridge.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”