Postby IronGoddess » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Fruitcake= gross!!!'
IMC 2015

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Re: Christmas Baking 2012

Postby Stampie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:10 pm

So here is what I have done so far...

- 4 Sugar pies (made a month ago, I got a deal on the main ingredient, whipping cream) – in the freezer, ready to be enjoyed!
- 1 Batch of Graham-Chocolate Chip squares – simple recipe attached below. I substituted the semi-sweet chocolate chips for semi-sweet mint chocolate chips this time and they turned out awesome! Some of you might find the mint a little over powering, so I would suggest half & half.
- 4 Tourtière’s with enough filling to make at least two more. I did not have enough pastry (my fail). Three are in the freezer and one will be tested tonight for dinner.
- 1 batch of Sucre a la crème – To be made later tonight or tomorrow.

Graham-Chocolate Chip Squares
1 can of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
2.5 cups of graham cracker crumbs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and spread-out in a 9x9 glass Pyrex baking dish and bake for 30min at 350F. **You can use a metal 9x9 dish, but I find it’s not as chewy then, so reduce the time if you use a metal dish, say 20-25min instead.
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:49 pm

First attempt at pan shortbread in the oven. If it turns out I am going to partially dip them in chocolate. Fingers crossed.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:51 pm

Stampie wrote:So here is what I have done so far...

- 4 Sugar pies (made a month ago, I got a deal on the main ingredient, whipping cream) – in the freezer, ready to be enjoyed!
- 1 Batch of Graham-Chocolate Chip squares – simple recipe attached below. I substituted the semi-sweet chocolate chips for semi-sweet mint chocolate chips this time and they turned out awesome! Some of you might find the mint a little over powering, so I would suggest half & half.
- 4 Tourtière’s with enough filling to make at least two more. I did not have enough pastry (my fail). Three are in the freezer and one will be tested tonight for dinner.

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and spread-out in a 9x9 glass Pyrex baking dish and bake for 30min at 350F. **You can use a metal 9x9 dish, but I find it’s not as chewy then, so reduce the time if you use a metal dish, say 20-25min instead.

I grew up with these, only our version has coconut on top of the chips, then the sweetened condensed milk is poured over that before baking... Hello Dolly squares.

These were my faves, and I put a knife through many a tin pan because my mom hid them (or so she thought) in the freezer.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:37 pm

Shortbread is good! Christmas baking complete.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:54 am

MINITEE wrote:
Stampie wrote:So here is what I have done so far...

I grew up with these, only our version has coconut on top of the chips, then the sweetened condensed milk is poured over that before baking... Hello Dolly squares.

These were my faves, and I put a knife through many a tin pan because my mom hid them (or so she thought) in the freezer.

My brother and I quickly learned that sugar pie was good frozen too. My mother used to always hide them in the freezer, my bro & I found the stash and discovered this theory. We later used this theory on butter cups and pecan pie and deducted that they too were good frozen.
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:44 pm

Frozen butter tarts are better than regular butter tarts. I also prefer the PB marshmallow squares frozen.

I have all the ingredients for reverse Nanaimo bars, but no energy to make them, even though the recipe looks super easy. Maybe I will do them Sunday.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:26 pm

FishPants wrote:Frozen butter tarts are better than regular butter tarts. I also prefer the PB marshmallow squares frozen.

I have all the ingredients for reverse Nanaimo bars, but no energy to make them, even though the recipe looks super easy. Maybe I will do them Sunday.

Hey, your acting like you are 26wks pregnant. :lol: For my second child, my DW got into her nesting phase at Christmas, we had tonnes of backed goods in the freezer for after the holidays.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Stampie wrote:
FishPants wrote:Frozen butter tarts are better than regular butter tarts. I also prefer the PB marshmallow squares frozen.

Hey, your acting like you are 26wks pregnant. :lol: For my second child, my DW got into her nesting phase at Christmas, we had tonnes of backed goods in the freezer for after the holidays.

That's 27 weeks to you!

I never thought of putting them in the freezer! If I get really desperate and need them out of the house, Dan works with people who act like they have never been fed. I got rid of John's extra birthday cake that way - it lasted 10 minutes, if that.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:22 pm

I have finally started on my baking.

Toffee squares=done
magic bars= done
chocolate crinkles= done (all 10 dozen of them)

to be followed by
butterscotch brownies
thumbprint cookies
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”