Spinach Shake

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Spinach Shake

Postby runfbrun » Tue May 14, 2013 5:22 pm

I've found this to be a great way to re-fuel after a run. I've also had it as breakfast on occassion.

Ingredients:

2 handfuls of baby spinach
1 banana
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 or 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
A couple of ice cubes

Blend all ingredients together and enjoy! I was skeptical about drinking spinach at first, but it is now my go to post-run snack.

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Spinach Shake

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue May 14, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks...I'm going to try this!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Tue May 14, 2013 11:00 pm

I drink Spinach or kale (or other greens) smoothies almost every weekday morning. I thought they were weird at first, but I've really come to enjoy them.

For those who are skeptical, or are used to a sweeter shake, adding some sweeter fruit like pineapple or mango can really tone down the spinach (which isn't that strong anyway).

For breakfast, I usually have a half cup each of two different fruits, about 2 cups of greens, a carrot or some cucumber, and either Vega protein powder, or two Tbsp of hemp seeds and 1 Tbsp of chia seeds. For the calorie counters, my shakes max out around 350 calories and can be as low as 250. I drink it around 7:15 and then bike or walk to work (3km) and don't eat again until my morning snack around 10am.

runfbrun
Tom Longboat

Postby runfbrun » Wed May 15, 2013 9:21 am

I loved this shake the first time I tried it. It was just the idea of drinking spinach that stopped me from trying it sooner. It tastes the best if you use a well-ripened banana.

Normally, I dont have a lot of greens in my diet so this is especially great for me. Had it for breakfast this morning!

O Z D
Johnny Miles

Postby O Z D » Wed May 15, 2013 12:29 pm

A little trick I use with kale/spinach shakes

I puree a bunch of greens (usually a mix of kale/spinach/broccoli) then freeze them in an ice cube tray. Throw the green cubes into a ziplock and then whenever I want to make a shake there is no excuse not to throw a few greens in. Don't have to make sure you have fresh in the fridge etc.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:33 pm

Some GREAT ideas here -- no more excuses not to have my "greens"....
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

kat00_ca
Percy Williams

Postby kat00_ca » Wed May 15, 2013 3:31 pm

I agree using a strong fruit like bananas or melons to counteract with the spinach. It's surprisingly not bad although I can't drink more than half a glass at the moment but far better since someone told me to put a strong fruit in it. Enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2013 Races:
Victoria Day - Watford-Alvinston Race 8K - 58.52min (first road race in 2 years but heat killed me at 5k mark, was just happy to finished the race in under an hour!)
June 2nd - Lots for Tots Stinky Toes 5k (first race for the city) - Témiscaming, QC - 31.38min (chip), 31.52 (gun); first 5k in 3 years!

July 1st - Canada Day Run 5k - North Bay, ON
Sept 21st - Great Northern Adventure Race - North Bay, ON
Jan 1, 2014 - Resolution Run 8k - Sarnia, ON

JoaniB
Tom Longboat

Postby JoaniB » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:31 am

I tried a recipe like this for the first time on Remembrance Day 2012, banana included even though I dislike banana. Then I went to a Remembrance Day ceremony and spent half of it running to and from the bathroom (fortunately, it was the West Edmonton Mall ceremony!). I blamed it on the banana.

Turns out I'd caught the stomach flu and it wasn't the banana at all, but I still refuse to use it.

Instead, I add half a scoop to a scoop of vanilla protein powder. I love drinking it on the bus and seeing all the bemused expressions from the other passengers!
Ottawa Race Weekend 10k (2009): 1h07m; Army Half-marathon (2009): 2h38m; St. Patrick's Day 5k (2010): 33m; Ottawa Race Weekend Half-marathon (2010): 2h28m (getting better!); St. Patrick's Day 10k (2011): 1h13m (or not); Calgary 10k (2012): 1h06m (new PB!); Canadian Derby Half-marathon (2012): 2h17m (PB!)
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
"And now for my next impression, Jesse Owens!" - Bart the Sheriff in Blazing Saddles
~~~~~~~//~~~~~~~
http://runjellyrun.blogspot.com

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:42 am

My latest shake/smoothie is:

- about 1 cup of fresh spinach (maybe more - I have a smootie blender, so I just fill the container halfway with spinach).
- 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
- 1 serving of hemp protein
- 1 cup of chocolate hemp milk

Tastes pretty darn good, if I do say so myelf. Full serving of protein, plus the greens and berrries.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:19 pm

O Z D wrote:A little trick I use with kale/spinach shakes

I puree a bunch of greens (usually a mix of kale/spinach/broccoli) then freeze them in an ice cube tray. Throw the green cubes into a ziplock and then whenever I want to make a shake there is no excuse not to throw a few greens in. Don't have to make sure you have fresh in the fridge etc.

That's a great idea! I find that many greens are sold in such large bunches that I struggle to eat it all before it goes bad. I love my greens (don't need to put them into a smoothie), it's just the amount that goes to waste that bothers me.

I've got rainbow chard in my fridge that I'll have with dinner tonight. :)
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”