magnesium?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Re: magnesium?

Postby Jwolf » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Doctors often are not very helpful with non-drug solutions
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:37 pm

My doctor told me I need to take:
Iron
B12
Calcium
Vitamin D

From all I've read, taking Magnesium isn't going to hurt and could possibly help, so I'm giving it a try.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Dr. S
Abby Hoffman

Postby Dr. S » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:30 am

I've been taking it for 2 months and unsure if it helps me for real or if it's in my head.... so I just keep taking it lol
Sonia

7 marathons (PB 5:01)
31 halfs (PB 2:10)
----------------------------
The plan for 2014: 10K des glaces & Apocalypse 5K
2015: No plan at all!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:14 pm

I work for the company that makes Citrical....

Aside from that, women of a certain age should consider calcium with magnesium for osteoporosis. OTOH, Scott a Science Based Medicine (blog) would say it is worthless. Or, maybe not.

Doctors will fall on both sides of this debate.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Tisha
Bill Crothers

Postby Tisha » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:02 pm

I take calcium every time I take magnesium as a friend that is really into nutrition told me it would help me more.

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:23 am

For what it's worth but it doesn't say anything about insomnia.

http://www.naturalnews.com/Infographic- ... iency.html
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:25 am

Natural News is the WORST site for real information.
Last edited by Jwolf on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

deerdree
Kevin Sullivan

Postby deerdree » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:29 am

quick dig through the published lit - there's some evidence supporting the use of magnesium to regulate sleep.

The effect of magnesium supplementation on primary insomnia in elderly: A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial.
Abbasi B1, Kimiagar M, Sadeghniiat K, Shirazi MM, Hedayati M, Rashidkhani B.

Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Nearly 50% of older adults have insomnia, with difficulty in getting to sleep, early awakening, or feeling unrefreshed on waking. With aging, several changes occur that can place one at risk for insomnia, including age-related changes in various circadian rhythms, environmental and lifestyle changes, and decreased nutrients intake, absorption, retention, and utilization. The natural N-methyl-D-aspartic acid (NMDA) antagonist and GABA agonist, Mg(2+), seems to play a key role in the regulation of sleep. The objective of this study was to determine the efficacy of magnesium supplementation to improve insomnia in elderly.
MATERIALS AND METHODS:
A double-blind randomized clinical trial was conducted in 46 elderly subjects, randomly allocated into the magnesium or the placebo group and received 500 mg magnesium or placebo daily for 8 weeks. Questionnaires of insomnia severity index (ISI), physical activity, and sleep log were completed at baseline and after the intervention period. Anthropometric confounding factors, daily intake of magnesium, calcium, potassium, caffeine, calories form carbohydrates, and total calorie intake, were obtained using 24-h recall for 3 days. Blood samples were taken at baseline and after the intervention period for analysis of serum magnesium, renin, melatonin, and cortisol. Statistical analyses were performed using SPSS19 and P values < 0.05 were considered as statistically significant.
RESULTS:
No significant differences were observed in assessed variables between the two groups at the baseline. As compared to the placebo group, in the experimental group, dietary magnesium supplementation brought about statistically significant increases in sleep time (P = 0.002), sleep efficiency (P = 0.03), concentration of serum renin (P < 0.001), and melatonin (P = 0.007), and also resulted in significant decrease of ISI score (P = 0.006), sleep onset latency (P = 0.02) and serum cortisol concentration (P = 0.008). Supplementation also resulted in marginally between-group significant reduction in early morning awakening (P = 0.08) and serum magnesium concentration (P = 0.06). Although total sleep time (P = 0.37) did not show any significant between-group differences.
CONCLUSION:
Supplementation of magnesium appears to improve subjective measures of insomnia such as ISI score, sleep efficiency, sleep time and sleep onset latency, early morning awakening, and likewise, insomnia objective measures such as concentration of serum renin, melatonin, and serum cortisol, in elderly people.

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:11 am

Jwolf wrote:Natural News is the WORST site for real intonation.

:lol:
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:49 pm

deerdree wrote:CONCLUSION:
Supplementation of magnesium appears to improve subjective measures of insomnia such as ISI score, sleep efficiency, sleep time and sleep onset latency, early morning awakening, and likewise, insomnia objective measures such as concentration of serum renin, melatonin, and serum cortisol, in elderly people.

this is consistent with my study of one. Even though I'm generally not sleeping longer since taking the magnesium, my *quality* of sleep seems to be much better, and I feel more refreshed in general. It's not a cure-all but it certainly has been helping me.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:49 pm

Spirit wrote:

oy- that's what I get for posting early and on my iphone-- silly autocorrect.

Anyway-- I wouldn't trust anything on "Natural News."

Other research has shown that often people's sleeplessness is caused or aggravated by muscle tension and cramping. Magnesium helps your muscles relax. Often I feel like my body can't relax physically, and then magnesium does help. It won't help if I am having trouble relaxing mentally, although often the two are related.

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:10 pm

Jwolf wrote:
Spirit wrote:

oy- that's what I get for posting early and on my iphone-- silly autocorrect.

Anyway-- I wouldn't trust anything on "Natural News."

Other research has shown that often people's sleeplessness is caused or aggravated by muscle tension and cramping. Magnesium helps your muscles relax. Often I feel like my body can't relax physically, and then magnesium does help. It won't help if I am having trouble relaxing mentally, although often the two are related.

I saw a chiropractor Tuesday (the first time in about 12 years) and she recommended I take magnesium before bed for this very reason...
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”