Protein shakes

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Protein shakes

Postby toobusy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:11 pm

Can anyone recommend one that they like?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Protein shakes

Postby La » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:11 am

What are your criteria? Are you an "add water and shake" kind of person, or are you willing to put a bit more effort into it? Are you looking for this shake to be a meal substitute, or for post-workout nutrition?
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:41 am

Add water and shake would be best, or something I can make up ahead of time and carry with me. Something for snack rather then meal replacement

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:54 am

For that type of thing, I normally use a pre-mixed drink like Boost (or the PC-brand equivalent). PC also has a small canister of protein shake in chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry for about $14. I find it tastes pretty good (I've only ever mixed it with milk, not water).

Many protein shakes use artificial sweeteners because they're geared toward weight-lifters who want protein without carb. I don't really care for the taste of them so I buy a plain protein powder (no sweetener or flavour) and blend my own drink. That wouldn't fit your criteria, though.

As for make-ahead, you'd have to test that out as many drinks will start to get too thick if you don't drink them right away.

Are you mostly concerned with getting protein in this shake, or are you looking for a more balanced pro/carb/fibre/fat drink to sustain you during the day when you can't get a proper meal/snack in? WeightWatchers has a shake that's low in calories/fat, high in fibre/protein, that you can mix with water or milk. I'd have to look up the nutritional info as I don't have it handy.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Mostly I need to boost my protein intake and this would be one way.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”