Doonst dials it back at ATB

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst dials it back at ATB

Postby Doonst » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:36 pm

Backstory: I haven't recovered totally from giving blood 20 days ago. For a week I was exhausted, second week running was still tough to do without rest breaks. This week I am feeling much better, but I knew that asking for 30 K's of race might be more than I had in me. I've never had this issue after donating before; my theory is that it was because I did so deep in a training cycle. I ran a 28 LSD 2 days before. My resting heart rate at time of donation was 70, up from 41-44 last 3 times. I thought I could fit it in okay but I was wrong. This is all just a theory, I am not a doctor but I see them play on TV.

Race day, without many real expectations I tried to be optimistic. Again, I was feeling fine. My only hope for a time goal was to beat my best here, 2:30. I started out with Casual-Runner doing 5 minute pace. Others who joined in at times included Ironboy, UltraQueenga, Jogger Barbie, AlfiefromPickering, and HCMD cruised by too. At the first water stop I fell back from the group. Here by 4 K I knew I could not sustain the pace. I held it almost for the first 10, except for walking through aid stations. After here, I decided to keep dialing it back as much as necessary to make it last and try to enjoy the day. It worked okay, sure I was disappointed for a bit. I do like racing and wanted to beat my times at all distances this year, but I knew I didn't have it today and there was nothing I could do about it. So I chilled out and eased off. Around 22 K I got a little light headed running up a hill, so I slowed it up even more, walking a lot on hills from here on. Still it was an okay day. Some people I knew mocked me as they passed, others expressed concern as they knew I should be ahead of there. After the big hill I felt pretty good in the breeze and thought I picked it up a bit, not much the Garmin says. Finished in 2:50:25, the slowest of 5 ATBs in a row, even the first. That's slightly slower than my LSD pace, so I guess that's what it was. Great times hanging out after, chatting and watching people finish. Loud in there though. Then Jo-Jo bought me a beer, that was good too. Thanks, Jo-Jo! Glad to head out, I was exhausted. I will live to race another day!
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Doonst dials it back at ATB

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 pm

consider it a good lsd!

maybe it's not just the blood... maybe you are fighting something? take it easy for a few days.
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:58 pm

A tough day at the office, Sheldon, and you got it done, despite all the challenges you face .. congrats on finishing your 5th ATB in a row, and will make the 217th Edition in 2011 even sweeter, I bet ... :twisted: :twisted:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:53 pm

Great race report Sheldon. Despite not having your best day out there, you still looked on the bright side and found all the good things about the day :D
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:10 pm

Sorry to hear it was such a tough race, Sheldon. You have a good attitude about it, which is great.

I wonder if it's more than just the blood donation, though, since you already seemed to have an issue (high resting HR) when you went in. It would be worth it to have your hemoglobin, ferritin, and other stuff checked, just to be sure. Good luck.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:17 pm

Jwolf wrote:Sorry to hear it was such a tough race, Sheldon. You have a good attitude about it, which is great.

I wonder if it's more than just the blood donation, though, since you already seemed to have an issue (high resting HR) when you went in. It would be worth it to have your hemoglobin, ferritin, and other stuff checked, just to be sure. Good luck.

It was great seeing you today Sheldon...and having time for a visit. But I confess I was a tad worried...you looked pale..and your lips were kinda blue.

I agree with Jen...I'd see about getting some bloodwork done.

Yep...your devoted Fan for another race season for sure :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Darth Tater
Lynn Williams

Postby Darth Tater » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:36 am

Sounds like you had a tough day at the office. I echo the concern that others are voicing - there may be more than meets the eye that you should get checked if you don't bounce back soon. Something's not right.
Darth Tater

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Marg
Site Admin

Postby Marg » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:35 am

Still a solid distance. Hope there is nothing else behind the HR stuff... take it easy dude and like you said, live to race another day. :)
Chilly 1/2 - March 4
Montreal 1/2 - April 29
NCM 1/2 - May 27
Manitoba 1/2 - June 17
Army 1/2 - Sept

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:13 am

Hey Sheldon, take is easy and recover. Has your resting heart rate gone back to normal? It never hurts to go for a annual checkup and get some blood work done. Based on this, I will not donate blood 'til after the marathon :shock:

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:31 am

Hey Sheldon, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm surprised you'd have so much difficulty for so long after giving blood- maybe it would be a good idea to get some blood work done and check your vitamin/iron levels too. Good on you for toughing it out at least- running 30km is definitely better than not running 30km even if you're not thrilled with the result. You'll be back in race form soon. There's a 5K/10 miler in Burlington on Friday... just sayin'. :)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:18 am

Sheldon, nice to see you again. When we spoke before the race I think you pretty much knew what was in store for you, and had a plan. You know, if afer giving blood your volme is down then maybe, just maybe a few more beers wil top up the tank :)

Rest up for your next race and then rememer all of those mocked you today !

Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:25 am

Thanks for the report Sheldon.

Dialling it back when you're not having an "on" day is the smart thing to do. As others have said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get checked out by a real doctor if you're not feeling yourself. :wink:

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:26 am

Mid_Packer wrote:Sheldon, nice to see you again. When we spoke before the race I think you pretty much knew what was in store for you, and had a plan.
Dave

Yes, it wasn't totally unexpected and that's what made it an okay day. Just one week ago, I was worried about finishing, as I did a 16 K run and had to pause for 5 minutes after 10 K. So I am rebounding well, just not 100% yet. As such I don't think I will persue any medical testing. I thought at first it might be a lung infection because one of the symptoms was shortness of breath. I'll be fine soon enough I'm sure, and back to better than ever races.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:29 am

Doonst... are you being a "typical male", and not seeking medical advise when it's obvious to everyone else that you need to get this checked out? Promise me you'll call today and book a physical, k? It may be just as you said, a set back due to donating, but then again...
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:37 am

Sheldon,

It was nice to see you again!

I think you handled the circumstances correctly.

I hope you get some good rest and are back out there soon!

Lisa
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:57 am

Sorry for the tough race, but congrats on completing!!

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:13 am

Way to tough it out Sheldon. It might not be your best in terms of time, but perhaps in terms of challenge it must be right up there? Glad we had a chance to chat yesterday, too.

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:15 am

Good job out there, Sheldon! Sounds like it was fun meeting up with other Maniacs. Heal up quickly!
Louise

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:09 pm

trixiee wrote:Doonst... are you being a "typical male", and not seeking medical advise when it's obvious to everyone else that you need to get this checked out? Promise me you'll call today and book a physical, k? It may be just as you said, a set back due to donating, but then again...

Listen to Trix!

regardless - congrats on #5 of ATBs!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:24 pm

Doonster, you are the Man!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Once again Sheldon I'm sorry to have hurt your feelings for not mentioning you in my report as one of my fast friends. Do not worry that much, you are in my list of super heroes.

Just one thing, I noticed just before I passed you that you were pressing your feet extremely hard against the ground while running. I have ran beside you other times, but I never noticed that. Maybe the donation of blood had you too weak to run a good race. Since I passed you, I expected the rest of the race that you would pass me back. Anyway, forget about donating blood before big races. You did great under those adverse and agravating conditions....
Last edited by AlfiefromPickering on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Beer , I missed the Beer! Way to be on giving blood but it sure did take the wind out of your sails. I know when I am having a bad day I try to convince myself to slow down and enjoy … easier said then done! Glad you were able to bring it home and it sounds like the last few Ks when the Grim Reapers optioned seem viable to most you were coming around… great way to finish. Look forward to seeing you out there in the Forest.

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:11 pm

Not your best, but still a good day. You made it to the start which is more than I could do. Get 100% soon.

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:30 pm

A tough race under those conditions. Hard to run a fast race so soon after giving blood.
Rest up, get well and have a great spring season.

I'm chasing a sub-2:30 next year at ATB and one of those d@mn silver medals. :evil: Hope you can join me for a quiet race in 2011. :D
Ultrarunner again

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:31 pm

I was glad to see you after the finish - I was actually quite concerned when I passed you on the course when usually you are WAAAAAAAAAY ahead of me. You still ran a strong race. Congratulations on finishing.
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Return to “Run/Race Reports”