Sulphur Springs

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Re: Sulphur Springs

Postby Doonst » Sat May 29, 2010 1:54 pm

From left to right
AirForceRunner
b_squared
Doonst
From right to left
Doonst
b_squared
dgrant
casual-runner
AlfiefromPickering
Mid_packer
West Grey Runner
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat May 29, 2010 1:57 pm

thanks Doonst!
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Sat May 29, 2010 2:03 pm

dgrant wrote:
spaff wrote:Anyone twittering or posting early/final race results from Maniacs and/or race leaders??

I think it'll be a while to get proper results. The course was very lackadaisically marked, so the entire lead pack of the 50 mile went badly off course, the second and third place 25Kers clearly didn't run 25K (splits are way out of whack)... A few others in my finishing group ran a couple extra kilometres (as did I). Not good.

We saw bgroot halfway through his 50 miler. He looked very strong! I saw naturegirl while I was on my offcourse promenade. She looked good (it would have been about 2.5hrs into her race.)

Going to be a drag if they went off course in the 50mile as I expect Adam was probably going after the course record in the 50mile.
Spafford Health and Adventure: www.HealthandAdventure.com

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat May 29, 2010 2:06 pm

ps: congrats to b_squared for winning the trophy! Is this one a keeper or will it be passed on in future shallonges like the spud trophy?!

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Sat May 29, 2010 7:09 pm

ultraslacker wrote:ps: congrats to b_squared for winning the trophy! Is this one a keeper or will it be passed on in future shallonges like the spud trophy?!

Thanks UltraS....our thoughts for the trophy were that it would be for trail shallonges and so could travel llike spud.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat May 29, 2010 8:29 pm

b_squared wrote:
ultraslacker wrote:ps: congrats to b_squared for winning the trophy! Is this one a keeper or will it be passed on in future shallonges like the spud trophy?!

Thanks UltraS....our thoughts for the trophy were that it would be for trail shallonges and so could travel llike spud.

fun fun!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sat May 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Results are up. Adam Hill came within 2 minutes of Ryne Melcher's course record in the 50 mile. Looks like a new record in the 25 K.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Sat May 29, 2010 9:24 pm

Doonst wrote:Results are up. Adam Hill came within 2 minutes of Ryne Melcher's course record in the 50 mile. Looks like a new record in the 25 K.

Hrmm... seeing the 5k splits (relative to others) of the 29th and 30th place finishers of the 25K reopens wounds I tried to close with wine and fro-yo! Oh, what could have been, as they say.

Way more importantly, what a result for the winners of the 25K and 50mi! This a really hilly course. What a pace for those winners! Way to go!

Congrats to Bryan on the Trail Shallonge win too. People should register for the Bread&Honey race next weekend just to meet this guy. One of those people who just elevate a race morning on sheer good nature. (One of many people like that.) A positivity-superstar for sure.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sat May 29, 2010 9:46 pm

I was looking up maniac results but I don't know everyone's real name.

Looks like Maryka is done with 10:38 (nice!). Nature Girl is still on the course... anyone have word on how she's doing?

eta: I guess the results haven't been updated in a few hours... hopefully she is done! I also checked Kinga and Viking's times--they are flying!

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sat May 29, 2010 11:00 pm

I went back to the start location around 5:30 PM and the last time Kinga and the Viking had appeared at the start line check point was around 10 hours and 08 minutes for Kinga and 10 hours and 11 minutes for the Viking. These are just rounded times. So Kinga at that point was approximately 3 minutes ahead of the Viking.
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Sun May 30, 2010 9:15 am

My young prodigy (Mark McRae) had to pull from the race after 40 km. He believes he may have torn his calf muscle, as he felt it 'go', and it ballooned quite badly. He had a good start, sitting third after the first lap. He's pretty dejected, as he had 12 races planned over the next 9 weeks, all marathon or longer, before he deploys for Afghanistan. These were all over the globe....he figures he can't do any of them now. I really feel for the guy....I just hope he hasn't placed his deployment at risk. :(
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Sun May 30, 2010 10:18 am

It looks like Chainsaw Baby got a 30 K split but did not finish the 50 K.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sun May 30, 2010 10:32 am

Got back home about an hour or so ago. What an awesome night out there.

BGroot had an incredibly strong 50M finish. We joked that he should go out & do the 100 miler just because he looked so fresh.

NatureGirl finished with the HUGEST SMILE in the world. She's feeling great today & left for home shortly before we did.

Kinga - well, Kinga pulls through again. SUB 24! :mrgreen:
The Viking had some GI issues and finished at 26:00:00 (I'll say 25:59:59 though as he really pushed incredibly hard and gave a fabulous final kick

As far as we knew last night, the 100M men's course record was broken at an incredible 17:12:xx. A guy from Ohio (or Illinois??) had the most incredible finish I've seen. To see those two flashlights literally flying up the final stretch were awe-inspiring.

To the 25K boys.. so sorry that we missed you in the AM. We got to Dundas Valley a couple of hours after you had finished, and most of you were long gone. :(
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun May 30, 2010 10:33 am

sweet! Thanks for the report! I have been watching the results page but it hasn't been updated since yesterday evening.

Can't wait to hear the rest of the stories.

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Sun May 30, 2010 10:46 am

M-T,
Thank's so much for the update. Have been waiting and waiting for results to update.

Looking forward to more details.

Maryka
Tom Longboat

Postby Maryka » Sun May 30, 2010 12:03 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the update M-T. Congratulations everyone! :dance: It sure was a scorcher out there. Is it just me or is anyone else craving incredibly salty foods today?

Nature Girl
Bruce Kidd

Postby Nature Girl » Sun May 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Awesome pics guys! Congrats on the trophy b_squared.

What an awesome day. Loved ever minute of the almost 14 hours out there with a busted knee. Cried like a baby at the finish. Now I want more.

Great to see everyone out there! You guys are my heroes. And great to hang with you Killerz!

I won't be forgetting this one anytime soon.
Hi. My name is NG and I want to run Haliburton.

Killerz
Tom Longboat

Postby Killerz » Sun May 30, 2010 5:45 pm

It was very hot out there yesterday, still recovering. Really enjoyed it overall. Came close to dropping out after lap 3, :oops: but Mrs. Killerz sent me on my way again. And I'm glad I did, great feeling to chalk up my first 50 miler. :dance:

Nature Girl wrote:.... And great to hang with you Killerz!

Likewise Nature Girl + always great to put faces to names. Good to meet JD again, and pretty sure I passed by Doonst (going the other way) out there, but didnt realise who it was til I passed him. Also Kinga and the Viking - well done - awesome results - you both looked quite fresh at the end. And great to chat with you Kinga, especially on that last lap where I was just putting one foot in front of the other to get through.

WestGreyRunner - sorry I only managed a quick "hi" as I passed you on the trail as you were heading the other way.

Ran (and walked) with some other great people aswell - dont think they hang out in this area of cyberspace though!

Much respect to the organisers and aid station people aswell - no shortage of food/ water etc.

Duffinrunnr
Johnny Miles

Postby Duffinrunnr » Mon May 31, 2010 7:23 am

Congrats to all of you!

Wish I'd been there to meet a lot of you folks, but I was running a little 5K on the other side of the conservation area. Did my W/U and C/D runs on the same trail as you folks, just to soak up some of the atmosphere and see if I could find some friends that were doing their first 50K. Also cruised by the start/finish in late afternoon to see who was still around and get a gawk at the results to that point.

Awesome performances all around!
Nancy

Run.........get dirty.......rinse.........repeat!

jdbegin
Johnny Miles

Postby jdbegin » Mon May 31, 2010 9:27 am

Wow, it was a crazy race. The heat really got to me on that 4th loop. The memories of the almost unbearable mental anguish are already receding and I'm already reconsidering my decision, taken at around mile 40, NEVER to run again! Always the same routine. See y'all at the next race.

It was nice to see some of you before and during the race. I hope I didn't ignore anyone, someone the profile pictures don't quite match!

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend.
JD

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon May 31, 2010 2:28 pm

I saw a couple of photgraphers along the course. Does anyone know if there was an official race photo company (and who), or if these were just a couple of shutterbugs.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

domparadis
Percy Williams

Postby domparadis » Mon May 31, 2010 8:12 pm

What a weekend, got there Friday afternoon with Steeve. Went around the place, got to talk to some very interesting people and walked a part of the trail. I started my run with my buddy Steeve, he wanted to follow my pace not to risk going out too fast, but lets say it didn't last. After 5 miles it was very obvious i was too slow for him. So i bluffed a need to pee, hiding behind a tree until he was far enough for me to go again. He ended up finishing the 50 miler in 10h50, pretty good for his first. I trotted along for the remainder of the way talking to allot of people. Really had a blast, i really wanted to know if i could finish with enough energy to carry on to a 100 miles. Honestly i think I'm good for it. So Haliburton here i come. I wanted to finish between 12 and 13 hours feeling strong. I completed my day in 12h30 and i really believe i could of run further (not faster). After my stomach problems left (lasted nearly 20 km) i was really up and going.

Once i got out of the shower,i stayed around and talked with very interesting maniacs. That being said, i just want it to be clear with Charlotte. When i said the 100 milers were crazy insane people, i meant it in a good way. I hope one day to be part of that group. Didn't mean to offend any one.

Thanks to all for the good time, learned allot of good training and preparation tips and looking forward to seeing you at the next race.

(I still think 100 milers are insane)
Next race

As many Ouser races as possible
Ultimate goal: Complete 100 at SulphurSprings since i was unable to do so this year

spaff
Bruce Kidd

Postby spaff » Mon May 31, 2010 8:23 pm

I don't think that John comes on here, but this is a 100 mi race report that everyone needs to read. http://trailfooted.com/2010/05/the-comeback-kid/

John was probably in 20hr shape, or maybe better, but had some issues. He didn't drop, though he probably should have. Very inspiring report.

Mega Mo
Johnny Miles

Postby Mega Mo » Mon May 31, 2010 8:42 pm

jdbegin wrote:Wow, it was a crazy race. The heat really got to me on that 4th loop. The memories of the almost unbearable mental anguish are already receding and I'm already reconsidering my decision, taken at around mile 40, NEVER to run again! Always the same routine. See y'all at the next race.

It was nice to see some of you before and during the race. I hope I didn't ignore anyone, someone the profile pictures don't quite match!

Congrats to everyone who raced this weekend.

Hey JD, I think was running with you a few times and chatted with you after the race. Light grey Nike hat, forgot to bring my 1 celebatory beer! Nice to meet you.

This was my first 50 miler, my 2nd trail race (Vulture Bait 50k last year was my first). As a new guy to these events, I was very impressed and had a great time. I brought way too much food and drink (except for my beer!), as I had no idea how much I'd need.

Everyone I met was so nice. I finished at 4:02pm, then wound up staying around until after midnight chatting and waiting to see the winner of the 100 miler. I had an awsome time, I'll definitely attend some more events this year. I even met this great girl who works near me and we met for lunch today! Is that what these events are really for? I should have started these sooner! Congrats to everyone, I'll be seeing you at some other races. I'll try and make an effort to find some Manics next time.

Mo
2015 Events:
Pick Your Poison 50km
Sulpher Springs 50 mile
North Face Blue Mountain 50 mile
Creemore Verticle Challenge 75km
Wasatch Front 100 Mile
Tour du Massif 50km
Somethin' else...
http://stupid-running.blogspot.com/

Doonst
Abby Hoffman