Doonst finally shows at a 10 K, Brant Arts Breast Cancer

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Doonst finally shows at a 10 K, Brant Arts Breast Cancer

Postby Doonst » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:43 pm

I've canceled plans to do 10 K races 3 times in the last 5 weeks, due to being careful/paranoid over injuries. I did get my big race in, 25 K at Sulphur Springs, and today my legs felt healthy enough to fit in a 10. That's the thing about 10 K's, there's one or three every weekend so none seem like "A" races.
The day turned out okay, we didn't get the crazy heat that was forecast but it was humid. Heather and Tuzo came, and Richie Rich was there too. I had done this race 2 years ago, strangely contesting for the lead for most of the race. Walking around this morning it was very clear that that would not be the case today.
The 5 and 10 went off together, around 250 total. We did 2 loops so you couldn't tell who you were racing until the halfway point. Charles Bedley was there, luckily he stopped after 5 K in 15:47.
I was mostly there racing against my PB time which I set there 2 years ago. I purposefully went out easy, hoping for better half splits than last time's 22/23 minutes. The humidity that made it seem coolish turned sweaty after about 5 minutes. I chatted a bit with Richie at the 1 K mark, but soon he eased on ahead. It never felt all that easy today like it sometimes does. Still the first half felt solid if not speedy. I could still see R-R at the halfway mark, there was one guy between us. I passed 5 K at 22:08, or about 8-10 seconds off my previous time. That was sort of the plan, give up a bit in the first half and get more back in the second. That plan quickly went north. The sixth split, slowest last time was even slower this time. Another seven seconds lost. It was here that I first realized that I just might not do it today. I pulled it back together but still. By 6 K I felt twinges threatening in my right hamstring. By 6.5, I felt a stitch that would bother me whenever I pushed the pace. Meanwhile, I'm catching the only guy in sight. I catch him oh so slowly, and we run mostly dead even for most of the last third. I pull ahead, that hurts my stitch too much, he catches up. Repeat. Lots of walkers here as we go through side by side.
Finally its over. Buddy 25-29 has more of a kick at the end and beats me by 10 seconds. My time: 45:35 or 32 seconds off my PB. 3 seconds per kilometer, spread pretty evenly, I felt like a bit of a failure. Heck that's my half marathon pace. It cheered me up a bit hearing that I was sixth overall; again by the time the 5 K leaders peeled off they were out of sight so I didn't know how many stayed in for 10. Yes that meant Rich was fourth. Eventually results are posted and I see that I am first Masters, which was good for $30 in RR gift cards. Gotta love small races (72 in the 10 K, 168 in the 5).
Nice day after, massage and roast beef kaisers, hanging out with Richie and Tuzo. Still, my goal was a PB and that weighed on me. I see that I can't train so easy because of injury fears and still expect better results. Time to (cautiously) up my effort.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

JSmitty
Bill Crothers

Re: Doonst finally shows at a 10 K, Brant Arts Breast Cancer

Postby JSmitty » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Congrats on your placement Sheldon. Speedy despite your caution which will pay off.
Cheers,
Jill

Ongoing plan :To start running, continue with eating habits, positive outlook.
OTTAWA HALF 2014

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Good on yah for getting out to race!! Solid time all the same Doonst.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:01 pm

I really envy your time Sheldon. Not a P.B. but very fast time indeed .....
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Nice Sheldon, it's early in the season, plenty of time to get a 10k PB

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:19 pm

That's a pretty solid result. Keep training smart. You'll get there.
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:38 pm

Way to be on the Masters win, 45:35 is a really good time.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Well done, Sheldon on solid performance, and having the mental fortitude to be able to reign it in, to avoid risking injury, when you felt things were not happening during the race ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:37 pm

I was thinking of you when I was out for my run this morning; the weather was weird, quite cool but very humid and it was hard to get comfortable even at easy pace. I don't know the course but do know the area and it doesn't seem it would be a fast course when damp. You got a 10k under your belt and it is a tricky race. 3 seconds per km doesn't seem much faster but there it is, that's your goal if you can get another race in. Oakville Labor Day is a fast course, but may be too soon after ITT.

Congrats on the placement and the award, it's a good showing!
Charles Bedley has quite the running resume.

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:36 pm

You still had a pretty solid run today but I thought you didn't look all that comfortable while we were running together for those few minutes. It took me a little longer than usual to find my rhythm today too. And I'm not sure it's the perfect course to get a PB - all the turns, the gravel surface, and the walkers you have to dodge on the second 5k loop make it difficult. But nonetheless good result and job done. Your timing was good though - another couple weeks and I'll be an old guy like you and I would have taken the masters award :twisted:

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:51 am

w00t! On the masters award! Ya gotta take 'em wherever you can get 'em! I think you're awesome fast, and smart. And I would not want to see you get injured.
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

casual-runner
Bill Crothers

Postby casual-runner » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:41 am

Solid effort Sheldon - Not so bad being the first Masters :clap:
My race log: http://itsmyrun.com
My training log: http://runningahead.com

----

ratherBrunning
Jerome Drayton

Postby ratherBrunning » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:12 am

You did a good job out there, Sheldon! Congratulations and best wishes with your upcoming races!!
Louise

blank
Bill Crothers

Postby blank » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:40 am

It was a good, smart run Sheldon and 6th place and first Masters ain't too shabby. Lorne is right, there's lots of time to get a 10K PB this year, don't sweat it.

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:54 am

Congrats Sheldon! Nice work.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:26 pm

Hey, if this was your best on that day, celebrate that. I like how you raced back and forth with the other guy. Maybe next time going out a bit harder might work? More aggressive, but it's kind of tough to make up time at the end of a 10K. When's the next one? Congrats master. :)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:11 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:56 am

Stitches suck. You still did good, though. But what you really needed was a little competition....competition seems to bring out the best in you.
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

दिवंगत
Bill Crothers

Postby दिवंगत » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:13 am

First Masters and a great O/A placement is pretty good consolation for just missing a PB. It's still early in the season, the PB will come. Nice job out there!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:46 am

Congratulations!!

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:07 am

Good job Sheldon, and as usual I enjoyd your race report, you've got that certain style that makes it and interesting read.

45:xx, I'd be very happy with that time, especially in warm (hot) weather

dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:56 am

QuickChick wrote:Hey, if this was your best on that day, celebrate that. I like how you raced back and forth with the other guy. Maybe next time going out a bit harder might work? More aggressive, but it's kind of tough to make up time at the end of a 10K. When's the next one? Congrats master. :)

I've been thinking about this of course, it seems to me that I fell down in the second half. My first 5 K loop took 22:15, second took 23:20. Just couldn't repeat it, if I was able to do same 22:15 second half I could have been very happy with that. Compare this to my Mississauga half last year, where I took 20 seconds longer for the first 5 K, but was up by 20 seconds by the 10 K mark; yes I was faster to 10 K then than at this race. (and after climbing the hill in the middle continued to run at a similar pace very even splits for 10 more K). I know its just seconds but its obvious I'm just not at my best quite yet this year.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

5km
Bill Crothers

Postby 5km » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Congratulations! That's an excellent 10k time and a nice result.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:29 am

Great race considering the humidity and past health problems! Also congrats on winning the Masters section!

richie-rich
Bill Crothers

Postby richie-rich » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Doonst wrote:I've been thinking about this of course, it seems to me that I fell down in the second half. My first 5 K loop took 22:15, second took 23:20. Just couldn't repeat it, if I was able to do same 22:15 second half I could have been very happy with that. Compare this to my Mississauga half last year, where I took 20 seconds longer for the first 5 K, but was up by 20 seconds by the 10 K mark; yes I was faster to 10 K then than at this race. (and after climbing the hill in the middle continued to run at a similar pace very even splits for 10 more K). I know its just seconds but its obvious I'm just not at my best quite yet this year.

i lost 30 seconds on the second loop too. it seems like it was just one of those days.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”