What's for dinner?

Because you can't outrun a bad diet!
Samantha
Donovan Bailey

What's for dinner?

Postby Samantha » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:20 pm

Post dinner (supper) ideas (including sides, salads, etc). Post recipes if you have them. Post links to where you found it online. Post the cook book you got it from.

:D

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby Samantha » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:22 pm

http://annies-eats.com/2010/03/19/shrimp-scampi/

Shrimp Scampi
Printer-Friendly Version

Ingredients:
3/4 lb. linguine
4 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
4 cloves minced garlic
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1½ tsp. kosher salt
¼ tsp. pepper
3-4 tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley
Zest of ½ a lemon
¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ lemon, sliced thinly into half-rounds
¼ tsp. red pepper flakes

Directions:
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.

Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet or sauté pan, melt the butter and olive oil together over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute, just until golden and fragrant. Add the shrimp to the pan in an even layer and season with the salt and pepper. As soon as the down-facing side of the shrimp turns pink, flip with tongs to cook the second side evenly. As soon as the shrimp is pink and opaque, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices and red pepper flakes.

As soon as the pasta is cooked and drained, return to the pot. Add the sauce to the pot, and toss to combine. Serve immediately in warmed bowls.

Source: adapted from Ina Garten via Food Network

I've made this many times. It's really good and a really good fast nummy supper.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:25 pm

http://annies-eats.com/2010/05/03/grill ... n-fajitas/

Grilled Chicken Fajitas

Ingredients:
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
6 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1½ tsp. brown sugar
1 jalapeño, seeded, ribbed and diced
1½ tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp. salt
¾ tsp. pepper
2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied (6 halves total), about 1½ lbs.
1 large red onion (about 14 oz.), sliced into ½-inch thick slices, rings not separated
2 large bell peppers (about 10 oz. each), stemmed, quartered and seeded
8-12 (6-inch) flour tortillas

Directions:
In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, 4 tablespoons of the vegetable oil, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, jalapeño, cilantro, salt and pepper. Reserve ¼ cup of the marinade; set aside. Place the chicken breast halves in the marinade, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Brush both sides of the onion rounds and peppers with the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, using a large chimney starter, ignite 6 quarts of charcoal briquettes and burn until the coals are fully ignited, about 20 minutes. Empty the coals into the grill, spreading them in a single layer. Place an additional 20 unlit coals over the lit coals on one side of the grill to create a tw0-level fire. Place the grill grate over the coals and allow to heat for 5 minutes. Scrape the grate clean with a grill brush. (For a gas grill, light all burners to high, cover and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Leave one burner on high and turn the rest down to medium.)

Remove the chicken breast halves from the marinade and transfer to the hotter side of the grill; discard the left over marinade. Place the onion rounds and peppers on the cooler side of the grill. Cook the chicken until it is well browned, 3-4 minutes. Using tongs, flip the chicken and continue grilling until it is no longer pink inside (or an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 160˚ F.) Meanwhile, cook onions and peppers until spottily charred and crisp-tender, about 8-12 minutes, turning once or twice as needed. When the chicken and vegetables are done, transfer them to a large plate and tent with foil to keep warm.

In 2 or 3 batches, transfer the tortillas in a single layer to the now empty grill on the cooler side. Cook until warm and lightly browned, about 20 seconds per side. When the tortillas are done, wrap them in a clean kitchen towel or foil.

Separate the onions into rings and place them in a medium bowl. Slice the bell peppers lengthwise into ¼-inch strips and add them to the bowl with the onions. Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved unused marinade and toss well to combine. Slice the chicken into ¼-inch strips and toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons of reserved marinade in another bowl. Arrange the chicken and vegetables on a large platter with the warmed tortillas and serve.

This is a really good recipe for fajitas. Only I didn't bother with the veggies on the grill - I just caramelized some onions and went from there.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:14 pm

Chicken with Olives in a Pan
*my modifications at the bottom.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/pan- ... erms=50040

One 4-lb. chicken, cut into eight pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium lemon
1 Tbs. unsalted butter; more as needed
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
5 medium shallots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
3/4 cup jarred brined olives, rinsed, pitted, and halved
8 fresh sage leaves
6 small fresh or 3 dried bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh thyme, plus 1 tsp. chopped

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425°F.

Season the chicken generously on all sides with salt and pepper.

Cut the ends off the lemon, stand it on one end, and slice off the peel and the bitter white pith to expose the flesh. Cut the lemon segments from the membranes, letting them drop into a small bowl. Cut each segment crosswise into 4 pieces.

Heat the butter and the oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, cook the chicken skin side down until golden-brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Pour off all but 2 Tbs. of the fat. Add the shallots, olives, sage, bay leaves, thyme sprigs, and lemon segments, and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.

Return the chicken to the pan skin side up and transfer to the oven. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 165°F, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve, sprinkled with the chopped thyme.

*I use whatever chicken pieces I have around. When I didn't have fresh sage, I used poultry seasoning. I use lemon juice from the jar. I use an onion instead of shallots. I use green olives. I keep forgetting about the butter and just use olive oil. I also forget the bay leaves and thyme all the time.

This tastes fantastic on rice. The chicken fat/onion/olive mixture is extremely yummy mixed into said rice.

The oven part takes awhile, but the frying part is fast and easy.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Chip Beef (BBQ shredded beef) - SLOW COOKER

I'm calling it that even though I can't recall why we call it that.

1 small "tough" quality roast of beef (chuck for example - 2 - 3 pounds)

1 1/2C ketchup
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4C red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp liquid hickory smoke
Pepper
Fresh garlic

Throw beef in slow cooker and cover with sauce. Cook on low 6-8 hrs (depends on your slow cooker). Take beef out of slow cooker and shred it. Put it back in sauce. Serve over buns and can top with shredded cheese.

FREEZES WELL
CHILD FRIENDLY

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:30 pm

pizza. IGA frozen food section. :P
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Lamb Sliders (they're mini burgers... who came up with that name, anyway??? :roll: )

1lb ground lamb
1/4 onion, grated
1/2 tsp salt
Ground black pepper
1tsp dried thyme
1tsp Garam Masala (Indian spice blend)
1 egg
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and then form into 12-14 mini burgers. They can be pan fried or BBQ'd.

Serve on toasted mini-thin "slider" buns (mine are President's Choice), with a disk/smear of goat cheese and caramelized onions on top.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Grilled Chicken Burgers

1 small onion*
2 tsp garlic
4-6 mushrooms chopped fine*
1 zuchini chopped fine*
carrot chopped fine *

I'll often start by using a food processor for all the stared items since I'm a lazy chopper.

Place veggies in a fry pan with a bit of garlic and oil. Fry until soft. Cool a bit.

Take:

2 pounds of ground chicken
1 egg
1/2C bread crumbs
salt
Pepper
Seasoning - I usually use a chicken and rib cajun seasoning just bought at the grocery store - they suggest OLD BAY (where I got this).

Form into patties and grill 5-6 min a side Usually I'll get between 8-12 burgers out of this depending on the size of patty I make. Burgers can be frozen or cook a few and can be reheated.

TOP WITH:

Chipotle Mayo

1 C mayo
1 chipotle chili in sauce (found in mexican section of grocery store in small tin)
Mix together to the spice of your liking (less chili or more mayo)

Top burgers with avocado slices, tomatoes sliced, lettuce.

SERVE WITH SWEET POTATO FRIES - which can be dipped in spicy mayo too!

S5

Adapted from allrecipes.com
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Carrot Slaw

1 bag pre-shredded carrot slaw mix (I get it in the produce section at Loblaws)
4 green onions, finely chopped
3/4 cup frozen edamame beans (shelled), blanched/cooled
1/2 cup dried cranberries
Lisa's Asian Salad Dressing sold in the produce section (or any Asian-style salad dressing)

Toss all ingredients together, then top with 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:42 pm

ultraslacker wrote:pizza. IGA frozen food section. :P

Which brand/flavour? Not all frozen pizzas are created equal! My preference is Dr. Oetkker. :wink:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:46 pm

Crock pot chilli

1 lb ground beef, cooked
2 cups salsa
2 cans mixed beans
1pkg taco seasoning
1 can diced tomatoes

low for 4-6 hours
topped with sour cream and cheese, served with buns.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

VeloCarrie
Abby Hoffman

Postby VeloCarrie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:48 pm

La wrote:

Which brand/flavour? Not all frozen pizzas are created equal! My preference is Dr. Oetkker. :wink:

That's my favourite also. I love the spinach one!
Running is cheaper than therapy and I need a lot of therapy.

I solemnly swear that I'm up to no good. ~Harry Potter
Get off the friggin' assfalt and run dirt. ~Strider

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger.

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Trail Child wrote:
La wrote:

I like the Dr Oetkker which I often serve on appetizer night - I'll make a small pizza and pile together as many appetizers as I can to serve. Its fun!
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Turkey Roll Up (Cordon Bleu style) Weight Watchers

Ingredients
4 Turkey cutlets 1/4 lb each
4 ounces Ham reduced sodium thinly sliced
2 ounces Swiss cheese reduced fat
3 tablespoons Bread crumbs dry
1 tablespoon Mayonnaise reduced calorie
1/4 cup White wine
1/4 cup Chicken broth reduced sodium
1 teaspoon Butter

Top each turkey cutlet with a slice of ham and then half slice of cheese. Roll up jelly-roll fashion and secure with toothpicks.

Spread the bread crumbs on a plate or a sheet of wax paper. Brush the turkey rolls with the mayonnaise; dip in the crumbs, pressing to coat.

Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium high heat. Add the turkey rolls and cook, turning occasionally until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the wine, broth and butter; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer covered, until the turkey rolls are cooked through and the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.

By slicing a chicken breast in half and pounding thin you could substitute chicken for the turkey with no change in the WW points value. (4 points)
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:19 pm

This is the best stroganoff recipe I've ever had. Seriously

http://annies-eats.com/2009/08/20/beef-stroganoff/

Beef Stroganoff
Ingredients:
1½ tbsp. olive oil, divided
¾ lb. top sirloin, cut into strips 1-inch wide and 2-inches long
Salt and pepper, to taste
1½ tbsp. butter
2 leeks, white and light green portions only, cleaned and finely chopped
8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp. tomato paste
1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1¼ cups beef stock
2-3 spoonfuls sour cream
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. lemon juice
Cooked egg noodles, for serving
Fresh parsley, finely chopped for garnish

Directions:
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the about half of the olive oil. Pat the beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Add some of the beef strips in a single layer, being sure not to crowd the pan. Sauté until browned but still slightly pink on both sides, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining oil and meat.

In the same pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and sauté until lightly browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté until nicely browned, about 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Stir in the tomato paste and cook until well-blended, about 1 minute. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to incorporate. Increase the heat to high, add the stock and bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up the browned bits from the pan. Boil for 1 minute, then reduce the heat to medium. Return the meat to the pan along with any accumulated juices and cook just until the beef is heated through, about 2 minutes.* Stir in the sour cream, mustard and lemon juice and heat just until the sauce is warm. Remove from the heat, serve over egg noodles and garnish with fresh parsley.

I didn't use leeks because who has time to clean them? I just used regular onion; saute as usual. The other modification is that I added a tsp of nutmeg (yes!) at the point (adding the meat to the pan) where the star is. Trust me. Add the nutmeg. Oh and I didn't garnish with fresh parsley (does anyone do that? :roll: )

It was really nummy.

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:21 pm

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Balsamic-Glazed-Sirloin-Steak-10900

:drool:

3/4 pound 1/2-inch-thick boneless sirloin steak
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/8 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons medium-dry Sherry
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
print a shopping list for this recipe

Preparation - Pat steak dry and season lightly with salt and pepper. Spread 1 teaspoon sesame seeds evenly on one side of steak.

In a large heavy skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until it begins to smoke and add steak, sesame-seed-side down. Spread remaining teaspoon sesame seeds on top of steak. Cook steak 1 1/2 minutes on each side for medium-rare meat and transfer with a slotted spatula to a small platter. Keep steak warm.

Pour off almost all fat from skillet and add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook garlic mixture over moderate heat, stirring, 10 seconds and add Sherry. Boil mixture until almost all liquid is evaporated and remove skillet from heat. Add soy sauce, vinegar, and honey and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add butter and stir over low heat until incorporated. Spoon glaze over steak.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Memphis Blues All-Purpose Dry Rub

1 cup dried parsley
1 cup sugar
1 cup Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
2 Tbsp. ground black pepper
3 Tbsp. garlic powder
3 Tbsp. onion powder
3 Tbsp. oregano
3 Tbsp. sweet paprika
1 Tbsp. mustard powder
1 Tbsp. celery salt
a pinch of cayenne pepper

Mix all; store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Use on pork, chicken, turkey or fish. (Or shrimp!)

Then this is all it takes: you throw in a generous pat of butter, cut it with olive or canola oil if you like, into a hot pan, and when the foam subsides, throw in your shrimp (as many as you want to make) and a generous spoonful of the rub. (I threw in a crushed clove of garlic too, since my rub was garlic-free.) Toss them about in the pan for a couple minutes, just until they turn opaque - don’t overcook them, or they will curl up tight and end up tough - and pour out into a serving dish.

http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2008/07/27/d ... guacamole/

This is the best way to cook shrimp. It's soooo good. I've never used it on anything else - I always use it on shrimp. It's fantastic. It makes a really nice sauce. Good with rice, pasta, whatever. Super fast meal.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:34 pm

Chili rubbed salmon

Paste made with 1 teaspoon each:
canned chipotle chiles en adobo,
chili powder
dried oregano
sugar
lime juice
olive or canola oil
a sprinkle of coarse salt
a crushed clove of garlic.

The paste was smeared on a salmon filet and roasted at 400F for 10 minutes.

From http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2008/07/22/d ... uit-salsa/

Good - spicy but good!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

What's for dinner?

Postby turd ferguson » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:05 pm

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:06 pm

turd ferguson wrote:http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Salted-Water-for-Boiling-105591

:naughty: :lol:
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Trail Child wrote:
La wrote:

I also love the Dr Oetker ones... but tonight was Toscano, only because it was on sale! lol
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:22 am

I had spinach salad for dinner - spinach, walnuts, feta cheese, zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, crouton. Balsamic vinegar/olive oil dressing. It was nummy.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:24 am

http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ik ... tables.htm

Kung Pao chicken with vegetables

Makes 4 servings

This quick and spicy stir-fry will put the zing back into dinner.

Ingredients

* 2 chicken breasts about 7 oz (200 g) each
* 2 green onions, chopped
* 1 cup (250 mL) red pepper, cut in chunks
* 1 cup (250 mL) snow peas, trimmed
* 1 cup (250 mL) bean sprouts
* 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil

Marinade

* 2 tsp (10 mL) sodium reduced soy sauce
* 2 tsp (10 mL) rice vinegar
* 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
* 1 tsp (5 mL) corn starch

Sauce

* 1 tbsp (15 mL) sodium-reduced soy sauce
* 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice vinegar
* 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
* 1 tbsp (15 mL) water
* 1 generous pinch chili pepper flakes (or more if you like it really spicy)
* 1 clove garlic, chopped

Serve on cooked brown rice.

Directions

1. Cut chicken into bite-size chunks.
2. Make marinade in a medium size bowl. Add chicken and place in the fridge for 30 minutes. This is a good time to start cooking your brown rice.
3. Meanwhile mix all ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
4. Heat nonstick skillet to medium-high heat and add the chicken. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the marinade. Discard marinade. Cook chicken for about 10 minutes. Set aside on a plate.
5. Add sesame oil to the same skillet. Heat to medium-high heat. Add the chopped red pepper and sauté for 1 minute. Add the sauce, chicken, green onion and snow peas and cook for 5 minutes. Add the bean sprouts and cook for 1 minute.
6. Serve immediately on brown rice.

Nutritional information per serving
(1 ¼ cup/300 mL)

* Calories: 150
* Protein: 21 g
* Total fat: 3 g
o Saturated fat: 1 g
o Dietary cholesterol: 48 mg
* Carbohydrate: 9 g
o Dietary fibre: 2 g
* Sodium: 208 mg
* Potassium: 436 mg

double the sauce mix. It's that good. :D

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:28 am

Mmm I love that recipe Sammy! :D

Last night we had a chicken salad for dinner.
-Cut up 2 chicken breasts into cubes/strips
-Season to your taste (I made a hot sauce/mustard mix to coat them in, added some pepper and oregano and cooked them up!)
-Pan fry chicken in a little bit of oil (I used hot pepper seasoned olive oil), stirring frequently to cook evenly

Meanwhile, on a plate make a bed of lettuce. I used Dole's Garden Baby Greens Mix. Add vegetables as you see fit (used red peppers, orange peppers, cucumber, onion and tomatoes).

When chicken is cooked through, top your salad with it :D

Use your favorite dressing and enjoy!
(I love sundried tomato dressing for this one)
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:34 am

http://www.thesingledish.com/sesame-chi ... ghtened-up

I saw this on a blog I read and thought it looked interesting. I'll have to try it one day.

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”