Doonst runs for a very long time. Haliburton 50 K 2010

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:40 pm

Haliburton 50 K, my first ultramarathon. Its been a while in coming, I've been running OUSer trail series races since 2005. Even this year I've done 5 from 25-32 K but this time I was finally determined to go long. I chose Haliburton because I figured I would start with a tough/substantial one to make it special. I have to say I got my money's worth.
I haven't got in all that much mileage in training, but I was medium healthy this year and that counts for a lot. I had done a lot of my running and races on trails and hoped that might help.

On the way up I dropped my dog off at my parent's who live medium close by. I had dinner there of eggs, potatoes and toast. I had had a big lunch before leaving. One concern was the early start and so I sort of had dinner at lunch and breakfast for dinner. I pulled into the race site just before 10 PM in the dark. Registration was still open until 11 so I got my kit. I walked around a bit around 10:30 but it was pretty quiet. Slept in the back of my car, it was plenty warm at least until morning.
Up round 4:30 then time seemed to fly. Coffee was on by 5 and I sat with the gang.
A bit rushed at the start but I just made it. It was a bit weird running in the near dark at 6 AM. Chatted a bit with a few people as we headed down the road. I took drop bag that I personally dropped t the aid station at 2 K. In it was a second bottle of Heed and some dry socks. We headed on at a good pace down the first 6 K on forest roads. By 7 K my average pace was 5:30/K, a little faster than I figured on but I felt relaxed. Onto the single track and that all changed, next split took 8:24. I'd heard there was some water on the course way out there but even here on Normac it quickly became tricky going. Rocks, mud and hills. Fun stuff though, and over soon enough. By 11 K we were back on the road and I dropped my long sleeve shirt in my drop bag at Aid 2, and switched bottles. The we hit the big out and back. Pretty technical going but I love that. I did trip and fall right at 13 K, that doesn't happen often. Just a little shaken up as I landed hard, but not hurt. The trail gets increasingly tough. Conditions are mucky in the low spots and its slow going. Some 9 minute then 10 minute splits. Often you could pick your way through the muck but it took longer. Even if you tried to go straight through, there were boulders and logs in the mud so it was tricky. It was sinking in that it would be a slow day. Besides the terrain I was mostly focused on the distance here to the turnaround. My knee had started hurting bit around 12 K and got a bit worse by 24. I took some Aleve, and never thought about it again. One less problem. I hit the turnaround, showing 24.5 K at 2 hour 58 minutes. I had counted 14 people coming back so ahead of me in the 50 K.

Heading back seemed slow at first, finally I was thinking about time. I knew I would be slower second half, and had little hope to hit my 6 hour time goal. I knew that's the way it goes, but it did get me down for a while. I now had to mentally prepare to be out there longer. Luckily the challenge of the terrain had taken my mind off of doing the distance for the first time. I started seeing the 100 milers as I headed back. Then it was the 26 K leaders flying out, sooner than I expected. I was eating 3 Clif Shot Blocks ( equivalent to 1 gel) every hour, and taken some zone caps electrolyte pills. Going so slow I felt, but I didn't see anyone for about a half hour at one point, but that means no-one passed me. Eventually I made it back to Aid 2 where my bag was. This was around 38 K and 5 hours. I had never ever run for over 4 hours before. Someone reminded me to turn right up the trail a ways and circle Lake McDonald. By the time I got to the turn, I caught up to a guy my age who was confused about where to go. I headed in first because I thought he was cooked. Shortly thereafter I got cramps in my hamstrings, and I stretched it out he repassed me. I followed him for most of Normac but passed him again at some point. I was feeling pretty good and strong here after 40 K. Then back on the road so there was just 6 easy K to go, that was a good feeling. Then ahead was another person in my age group. Slowly reeled him in and pulled beside. These splits, leading up to 6 hours, I went 6:00, 6:01, 5:50, and they seemed like mostly gently uphill. Effectively we were racing head to head with around 3 k to go. It was a good feeling until I cramped up again really bad, then I felt like a bit of an idiot. Both guys took off in the distance as I stretched out these most painful cramps ever, for over 3 minutes. I am dam fool oh yeah. I couldn't even walk there for a while. Getting going again I was beat for a while. Still it wasn't too long before I picked up my stuff at Aid 2 and headed down the home stretch. I picked it up again for the last bit at 6:06 pace. Done in 6:25:43. Probably around 15th out of ~57, I dunno.
That's me at 38-39 K, thanks Spaff for the picture.
I finished it in pretty good shape I think. My feet didn't hurt, no blisters, no GI issues, knee lasted fine. I was pretty happy. Maybe not with my time but it was tough going and that happens. I felt as much of an accomplishment conquering the course as the distance, if that makes any sense. I had a shower and the lunch. Grabbed a beer and hung out at the finish line for the next 4 hours. Good company and it was a beautiful warm sunny day now. After watching Mini-T, BJH and Strider come in I headed back to my folks around 4:30.

As for the race it gets good marks. You can tell the priority is the on course experience. It was well marked but still very confusing at the intersections, where you go different directions at different times. I was not impressed with the lunch provided. I ran my first ultra, and I get a brown bag with 2 stale bagels a a small packet of cream cheese? I've had way better at lesser races. It only made me feel as treated as unimportant when I heard that the 50 and 100 milers get better. Also I asked 3 times at the finish about results and was sent each time to the cabin 200 M away, that was always locked with nothing posted. Finally 3 hours after I had finished, they showed me my time but no standings. And now 3 1/2 days later they are not posted online. Still on course they were very professional and I felt safety conscious. It is a great course and beautiful country. I did not see any bears. I did see a wolf driving in Friday night.

All in all a very positive experience, tough but rewarding. It didn't hurt as much as I was expecting and I lasted well for such long time. I felt pretty good Saturday night but DOMS caught up with me Sunday afternoon and most of Monday. My outside hamstrings near the knee hurt most, then quads. Just stiff and sore. Tuesday now its gone and I ran 5 k trails no problem. I did it!

Next up is 10 K at Ottawa Fall Colours and Vulture Bait 25. I am considering doing the 6 hour ultra at Horror Hill, or maybe Hamilton Marathon if I feel like it.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Re: Doonst runs for a very long time. Haliburton 50 K 2010

Postby ultraslacker » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:43 pm

yay ultradoonst!!

congrats on your first ultra. :)

do you think the cramping was electrolyte-related? how much did you take in pill form? (your calories seem low, unless you were also eating at the stations... I take twice what you did, and some pros take even more!)

confusing intersections are unforgiveable... runners shouldn't have to work that hard to figure out where to go, and then mistakes are made (like in AFR's case!).
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

b_squared
Bill Crothers

Postby b_squared » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:16 am

Way to go Doonst....err, UltraDoonst! The year of spreading yourself thin is working out pretty well and I am guessing this race will be among the highlights.

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:40 am

I did it!

Those are 3 little words that make a big statement!

Well done Ultra Doonst! :dance:
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:03 am

Congratulations Sheldon, 50k is way more than 42.2 and it sounds like Haliburton is really tough. I'm going to try my 50 at Toad, hopefully I will be recovered in 2 days like you did !

BTW great report the the screen shot of route helps to tell the story.
Dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:31 am

Sounds like a tough day but I am sure very rewarding to finish. From the map, looks like there were some pretty good climbs along with the muddy conditions. Congrats on your first Ultra!

Agree with Holly on the intersection confusion. Is a recurring theme or did they forget to put a marker, etc?

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:45 am

He's a Marathoner ... No, He's a Triathlete ... No, He's an Ultra-Nut !!!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Way-da-Go, Doonst ... Congratulations, on your first ultra-marathon .... :P :wink: Whatcha gonna do next ? An, xterra adventure race ??? :twisted: :twisted: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

AirForceRunner
Bill Crothers

Postby AirForceRunner » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:47 am

Congrats Doonst. I could tell it was going to be a good day for you (given the conditions) as I watched you effortlessy pull away at the start, talking up a storm. You still looked strong and focused after the turn, so much that I decided chasing you would be futile.
Course intersections.....whats the problem? I thought they were perfect!! LOL!!! Yeah, at one point Andrew and I came upon WestGreyRunner, and only via a committee of 4 (3 of us and a 4th unknown runner) did we come to a conclusion on which way to go next. Too bad that committee wasn't present later in the race. :lol:
Great to see you notch that Ultra in your belt. I think Horror Hill could be a very interesting event indeed!
http://www.itsmyrun.com/?display=myrace ... orceRunner

2011 Wishlist
Sulphur Springs 50 miler
Dirty Girls 12 hr night run
Haliburton 100 miler (gulp!)

"Try the meditation of the trail, just walk along looking at the trail at your feet and don't look about and just fall into a trance as the ground zips by..."
-Jack Kerouac

"I am no longer a runner, I am now a father who runs. I will let the running come to me and I will make the most of every km I am fortunate enough to receive."
-Smack

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:05 am

way to go!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:11 am

Congratulations Sheldon on your first 50. You splits on the last few Ks of the Gravel Road were really good. The guys that you were racing may have been doing the 25K race that happened to me last year! You should consider the VB 50; you would probably shave an hour off your 50KPB :D

UltraQueenga
Jerome Drayton

Postby UltraQueenga » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:11 am

Congrats on your first 50k! Well done, UltraDoonst. Nice report, photos and everything.
You ran a smart race, minus the small cramping issue (is it because you didn't pop enough salt or because you pushed yourself a bit hard racing those guys?) Glad your knee held up and you are already recovering well.
See you at Horror Hill.
Ultrarunner again

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:12 am

Congrats on your first ultra! It sounds like it was a really tough course but you managed really well.

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:15 am

Sounds like you had a great day out there... from 4hours loong run to six- How wonderful is that?

Yep I thought the 50kers desivered way more than you got- you only paid $5 less eh.

And YES you should do horror hill- start thinking up your costume now I want to see something good.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:22 am

UltraQueenga wrote:You ran a smart race, minus the small cramping issue (is it because you didn't pop enough salt or because you pushed yourself a bit hard racing those guys?)

I'm sure both were factors but I would lean towards answer "B". Both times I cramped I was pushing it to pass somebody, after 5 and 6 hours. I'm a firm believer that most cramps are due to the "haven't trained your muscles to do so much for so long" theory. I drank lots of Heed and eload too, that's both calories and electros.
The intersections on the course were sort of marked, but just by little signs. Often several directions were all course for somebody sometime. The easiest mistake was to miss a trail off to the right, when the road you were on is also marked as being the course. For somebody sometime in some direction.
West Grey I am already signed up at Vulture Bait for the 25, its all about the series points! I have a potential podium position to protect.
Last edited by Doonst on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:26 am

Sounds like a tough course...but you're a tough guy. Well done :D :D
And yep...looks like your Official Fan will be able to cheer for you at Fall Colours 10km 8)
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:03 am

Nice report.

I'm always surprised how the trail conditions can suddenly add a couple hours to a presumed time!
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:17 am

Way to go Ultradoonst.
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

ian
Jerome Drayton

Postby ian » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:20 am

Triathlete... ultranut... black shorts... just when you thought you knew someone...

(nice debut)

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:26 am

Congratulations! Sounds like you did great....

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:18 am

Nice stunt Doonst, what could be next? You are a one man show, keep it up.
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:44 am

Robbie-T wrote:Nice stunt Doonst, what could be next? You are a one man show, keep it up.

Well, I haven't done a relay or a night race. We could knock them both off next May at Sulphur Springs 100 miler! Hey I've got fast friends, what's the course record?
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:21 pm

trixiee wrote:
I did it!

Those are 3 little words that make a big statement!

Well done Ultra Doonst! :dance:

No Kidding!
WAY TO GO!! :dance:
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:03 pm

Well done Sheldon! Congrats on a tough race and your first ultra. I really think the tiger tights may havew helped you though!! :twisted:

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:41 pm

Doonst wrote:I did not see any bears. I did see a wolf driving in Friday night.

Oh, really? What kind of car does a wolf drive? :lol:

Bravo, sir! :clap:
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:11 pm

That is awesome, Doonst!!! 50k is really far. So far, in fact, that when one trains for and runs such a long distance, you can say "I'll run the Hamilton Marathon if I feel like it"! Ha! Who can just run a marathon on a whim???? A highly trained athlete, that's who! Way to go.

Hope to see you in Hamilton. It will be my first marathon post-baby.
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Return to “Run/Race Reports”