Gatineau Park & Ottawa area trail runs - Add yours!

You didn't need those toenails, did you?
Strider
Jerome Drayton

Re: Gatineau Park & Ottawa area trail runs - Add yours!

Postby Strider » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am

I had a great long run on Saturday. Who'd a thought, but ran a 3hour, almost 31km trail run from P6 (across from the Hazeldean Mall) to Bruce Pit, and back. Trails all the way with only a little pathway from Bell Arena over the 416. Easily could have made it a 4 hour run or longer. All on NCC trails in the Greenbelt. Very cool to have this so close to home.

Here is the link to the run in Training Peaks
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.
If you have the time please read my participation page and consider a donation.

_Eric_
Tom Longboat

Postby _Eric_ » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Strider wrote:I had a great long run on Saturday. Who'd a thought, but ran a 3hour, almost 31km trail run from P6 (across from the Hazeldean Mall) to Bruce Pit, and back. Trails all the way with only a little pathway from Bell Arena over the 416. Easily could have made it a 4 hour run or longer. All on NCC trails in the Greenbelt. Very cool to have this so close to home.

I've never been in that area before, how are the trails back there?
I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more...

-Chuck Palahniuk

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:36 pm

_Eric_ wrote:I've never been in that area before, how are the trails back there?

They are pretty flat (not the Gats), but nice and technical in a lot of places. You can tell by my pace that you can run pretty fast but there are some great sections where is gets twisty / rocky /rooty gives you a good workout.
Help Fight Children's Cancer with Sears Canada and GoodGuysTri - 26 Team Mates, All Running 100km, 1 Goal.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:37 am

Strider wrote:I had a great long run on Saturday. Who'd a thought, but ran a 3hour, almost 31km trail run from P6 (across from the Hazeldean Mall) to Bruce Pit, and back. Trails all the way with only a little pathway from Bell Arena over the 416. Easily could have made it a 4 hour run or longer. All on NCC trails in the Greenbelt. Very cool to have this so close to home.

That's a nice looking trail run Strider.
PBs
5th Sep 2015 - Run Ottawa free 5km - 21:05
21st Jun 2015 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 10km - 45:45
16th Jun 2013 - UR 4 Men's Cancers 15km - 1:11:44
16th Apr 2016 - MEC 10 miler - 1:20:21
12th Apr 2015 - EY R4R Half Marathon - 1:41:15
26th May 2013 - Ottawa Marathon - 3:43:51

2017 races - coming up
7th May - Defi Entreprise 10km
28th May - Ottawa Half Marathon
17th Sep - Army Run Half Marathon

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:39 am

I ran in Gatineau Park again. This time it was: P7 up #1 to #4, then after a slight detour onto #36 to O'Brien Beach and the bridge over Lac Meech that Carrie mentioned earlier in this thread. I then headed back along #36 to #32 (Lac Fortune) and back up #4 and down #1 to the car. Total mileage 15:42kms.

More details and pictures of this run are in my blog: http://mstocksley.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... -park.html
PBs

2017 races - coming up

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:26 pm

mas_runner wrote:I ran in Gatineau Park again. This time it was: P7 up #1 to #4, then after a slight detour onto #36 to O'Brien Beach and the bridge over Lac Meech that Carrie mentioned earlier in this thread. I then headed back along #36 to #32 (Lac Fortune) and back up #4 and down #1 to the car. Total mileage 15:42kms.

More details and pictures of this run are in my blog: http://mstocksley.blogspot.com/2010/11/ ... -park.html

What's the snow situation up there now? Thinking of heading up there for a run this weekend.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:40 pm

kpoire wrote:
mas_runner wrote:I ran in Gatineau Park again. This time it was: P7 up #1 to #4, then after a slight detour onto #36 to O'Brien Beach and the bridge over Lac Meech that Carrie mentioned earlier in this thread. I then headed back along #36 to #32 (Lac Fortune) and back up #4 and down #1 to the car. Total mileage 15:42kms.

What's the snow situation up there now? Thinking of heading up there for a run this weekend.

It's fine, just a dusting really, didn't slow me down at all. My photos should give you a good idea.
PBs

2017 races - coming up

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:03 pm

mas_runner wrote:
kpoire wrote:

It's fine, just a dusting really, didn't slow me down at all. My photos should give you a good idea.

:oops: Yeah, should have looked at the pics. Nice shots by the way.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:43 pm

Hey Kpoire!

How was your run in the Gats this weekend???
PBs

2017 races - coming up

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:53 pm

I did 3:20 (32km) on Saturday. Ran from the Visitors Center, looped the Sugar Bush trail to warmup, and then up Trail #1 to # 6, Looped #6 and then back to Trail #1 all the way to the first intersection of Wolf Trail, and back. Snow covered but very runnable.

Picture from the Climb up from the Visitors Center.

mas_runner
Bill Crothers

Postby mas_runner » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Strider wrote:I did 3:20 (32km) on Saturday. Ran from the Visitors Center, looped the Sugar Bush trail to warmup, and then up Trail #1 to # 6, Looped #6 and then back to Trail #1 all the way to the first intersection of Wolf Trail, and back. Snow covered but very runnable.

Picture from the Climb up from the Visitors Center.

That's a nice long run Strider. Looks beautiful up there at the moment. You gotta love #6 though, I might have to head up again next weekend and do a double loop of #6 (clockwise, anti-clockwise) after I missed my fix this weekend...
PBs

2017 races - coming up

kpoire
Bill Crothers

Postby kpoire » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:50 pm

mas_runner wrote:Hey Kpoire!

How was your run in the Gats this weekend???

It was very nice as usual. Short (40 min) but nice. Not as much snow as I was expecting but I suppose was farther "down the hill" (It is hard to tell from the picture, but I would say I encountered a lot less snow than Strider). I parked on Notch where #15 crosses and ran East to #25 and looped around. I usually park on Notch and run West on #15 and do #6 (I think this is my favourite), 8, 17, 22, 19 or a combination there of but didn't get out early enough to do what I wanted to do so went for the short option. Perhaps this weekend... I suspect after last night's snowfall, there will be a bit more up there now...

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:52 am

So last Saturday I did a nice 3 hour run from P15 on Trails 70, 71, 72. Trail conditions were perfect for winter trail running and the twists and climbs seem to be perfect training for the Chilly Dog. My RunningAHEAD Log is here you can tab to the Map, and the Graph where you can see the elevation profile. I will likely be heading up there next Sunday Morning.

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:33 am

Thanks for the update Strider -- I need to get myself up there -- I am off next Friday -- that might be an option -- otherwise it will have to be the weekend after next!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 pm

So I'm about to sign up for my first trail race (10k at Mt Orford) and I'm looking for recommendations for some hilly Ottawa (maybe even west Ottawa trails... paging MrStrider...). I haven't really done much trail running aside from some basic Greenbelt trails between Barrhaven and Kanata, the trail beside Bruce Pit, and Lime Kiln trail, all of which are pretty flat. I don't have trail shoes yet. I'd like to get some practice with some hillier technical terrain. Is there anywhere outside Gatineau Park?

I saw lot of great recommendations here already but will any Gatineau park trail do, or are there some I should start with (or avoid to start until I get trail shoes)?

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Sorry Mike, there are no hills in Ottawa. If you want hilly trails you have to head to the Gats. How hilly is Mt Orford. Yeah I know it has Mt in the name, still! For technical trails you can run the Trillium Woods just off Huntmar, and then run hill repeats on the Huntmar Hill. Actually there is a nice little trail climb if you start at the trail entrance at Huntmar and the Railway tracks, a little technical too (repeats on that would work). I could meet you and show you that one evening.

Shoes - Mizuno Ascends, Brooks Cascadia, LaSportiva Crosslites are the top 3 in my books.

Strider
Jerome Drayton

Postby Strider » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:22 pm

Just looked at the Mt Orford profile, damn that is one long Uphill Hike, followed by one fast descent. Best practice for that would be the Camp Fortune 5-peaks course.

You could do hill/hike repeats on the old Carlington Ski hill at Carling/Queensway.

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks, Strider. I'll check out the trail off Huntmar. I kind of suspected there wasn't much in the way of hills in this area. I thought about Camp Fortune too. Unfortunately I'm out of town for the race itself but I'm going to try to get some running in there and in the Gats in general. Carlington's a good idea too. I forgot about that.

It'll definitely be a tough climb at Orford. The website says you can expect to double your road 10k time. My goal for this one is just to finish.

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:59 pm

Bumping this thread up for reference since I'm hoping to get in some more trail running once the snow clears in prep for some of my races this year. Hopefully this'll even be the year that I get to the Gats for a few runs. I'll probably be leaning heavily on the Greenbelt trails between Bruce Pit and Kanata that Strider mentioned above though.

Funny, I never did sign up for the Mt Orford race that I mentioned above, although I ran the Fat Ass Trail Run in Batawa that year instead.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm

MikeM wrote:Bumping this thread up for reference since I'm hoping to get in some more trail running once the snow clears in prep for some of my races this year. Hopefully this'll even be the year that I get to the Gats for a few runs. I'll probably be leaning heavily on the Greenbelt trails between Bruce Pit and Kanata that Strider mentioned above though.

Funny, I never did sign up for the Mt Orford race that I mentioned above, although I ran the Fat Ass Trail Run in Batawa that year instead.

I'd like to join you this spring. I'm hoping to do a shorter distance in the Health & Adventure series in early summer and maybe even the Wakefield Covered Bridge 1/2 in early May. :)
Carm

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:08 pm

carm wrote:
MikeM wrote:Bumping this thread up for reference since I'm hoping to get in some more trail running once the snow clears in prep for some of my races this year. Hopefully this'll even be the year that I get to the Gats for a few runs. I'll probably be leaning heavily on the Greenbelt trails between Bruce Pit and Kanata that Strider mentioned above though.

I'd like to join you this spring. I'm hoping to do a shorter distance in the Health & Adventure series in early summer and maybe even the Wakefield Covered Bridge 1/2 in early May. :)

Me too, me too!
2014:
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler

MikeM
Bill Crothers

Postby MikeM » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:09 pm

carm wrote:

Sounds good. I'm not signed up yet but I was planning Wakefield Covered Bridge 1/2 as my spring race for this year.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:36 pm

orleansrunner1962 wrote:
carm wrote:

Me too, me too!

Sylvie: Did you ever write a RR for your race last year? How was it?
Carm

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:52 pm

carm wrote:
orleansrunner1962 wrote:
carm wrote:

Me too, me too!

I didn't write an RR - I liked the race a lot .... good organization -- small race..... tough race..... you start off right away with a steep ascent, then some nice trail running, then a paved section for 2 km or so on the paved Gatineau parkway, and then back in the trails..... there are a few pretty decent climbs, so don't expect to PR and at half distance :D I will likely do it again this year if it fits in to the last weeks of my training before Sulphur. I remember that there was some hot chili afterwards as well which was a nice touch. :D
2014:
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:11 pm

orleansrunner1962 wrote:
carm wrote:
orleansrunner1962 wrote:
carm wrote:

Me too, me too!

I didn't write an RR - I liked the race a lot .... good organization -- small race..... tough race..... you start off right away with a steep ascent, then some nice trail running, then a paved section for 2 km or so on the paved Gatineau parkway, and then back in the trails..... there are a few pretty decent climbs, so don't expect to PR and at half distance :D I will likely do it again this year if it fits in to the last weeks of my training before Sulphur. I remember that there was some hot chili afterwards as well which was a nice touch. :D

Hmm, maybe another year. I'm looking to do something more in the 2 hour range so a road 1/2 or a 12-15K off-road, I suppose. When will you start trail running for your long runs again?
Carm

Return to “Ultras and Trail Running”