Boston Marathon Moves To 3 Wave Starts

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Boston Marathon Moves To 3 Wave Starts

Postby RobAllen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:56 pm

The BAA is using three waves this year for the Boston marathon. The start times are 10:00 (elite men, wave 1), 10:20 (wave 2) and 10:40 (wave 3). They are aiming to have 9,000 runners in each wave.

http://www.baa.org/news-and-press/news-listing/2011/march/new-start-structure-for-2011-boston-marathon.aspx

kaybee
Johnny Miles

Re: Boston Marathon Moves To 3 Wave Starts

Postby kaybee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:02 pm

And I am gonna be somewhere in the middle of wave 3. I guess starting 10 min later than last time is not such a big deal. I am not complaining! My husband, however, will be starting 40 min ahead of me and runs his marathon about 40 min faster than me so he will have lots of down time before I cross the finish line! He and our friends had better wait for me before they go party! (I am the slowest in that gang and I think the only one in wave 3.) Sigh!

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:15 pm

The BAA is busy these days! This will put me towards the front of Wave 2 which is fine.The friend I'm travelling with was invited to run as an elite woman so she'd be finishing long before me regardless. This will give her time to collect her winnings!!! Three waves will hopefully make the start less congested which will be good.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

LadyV
Bill Crothers

Postby LadyV » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:31 pm

it's wave 3 for me, baby!
does this mean us wave 3 ers get to sleep in? :wink:
"Don't have time for a run? Go for a run' (Marc Remy - RW)
www.itsmyrun.com

RayMan
Jerome Drayton

Postby RayMan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:18 pm

Wave Two baby! Just like last year...although I should be starting further back in the corral, as my time was 10 minutes slower than the first BQ.

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Cool. I am in wave 2! Getting very excited now! Thanks for posting this!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

Return to “General Running Discussion”