ATB Report #17: A Cautionary Tale

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Doonst
Abby Hoffman

ATB Report #17: A Cautionary Tale

Postby Doonst » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:33 pm

Short version: I went out too fast, like I know you're not supposed to. It hurt, my pride, my time, and my muscles, in that order.

Back story: Did my first race just under a year ago, ran 2 halfs and a 25 last fall. Deciding to do ATB this year in December, I wrote down my goal time as 2:50. After talking about it here, I changed it to 2:45, said in a whisper. 3 weeks ago I did the Chilly Half. I was determined to do a "smart" race, with great attention to planning and execution. Plan was, 2 kms at 5:20 pace, then ramp it up to what felt right. And I did it, first 2 Kms were 5:21 and 5:20. Average by 10Kms was 5:11, by the end 5:06. Iwas flying by people at the end, felt great, it was a total success, PB by over 6 minutes.
After that, I upped my goal to 2:40 for ATB. Plan was, and I gave it a lot of thought, 20Kms at 5:15 pace, then use up whatever I had left till the end. I figured that a 5:30 pace for the last ten, I'm still at my goal.
My girlfriend was running in the 15Km relay, and our dear old friend was running as her partner and staying with us Saturday night. We picked up my main training partner who was also running 15. We got there in plenty of time, no stress really, it was a beautiful day and everything was working out. Met everybody in 122 and got out on the starting grid with 15 minutes to spare. I don't usually line up too near the front, probably because I'm running late. Sunday, we got a good spot. My training partner (doing 15) is with me, happy to go whatever pace I set.
Off we go, off easy I think. After 1km, my new Garmin says 4:50. "we're going too fast", I say, she says then slow down. I guess I do, to 4:54 for the 2nd k. Try harder, result is 3kms at 5:05. A little better, but it causes me anxiety, never a good thing for me in a race. First 5kms in under 25 minutes, wrong pace. Even worse it is hot, who would have thought in March. We were looking for shade, and happy when the breeze showed up around 7 or 8 Kms.
Eventually I chilled out a bit, even though I dropped a water bottle when I had my first gel after 10kms. Sent partner ahead at that point. As per plan, I threw my coat to Signifigant Other at the 15Kms mark, for her to give to her relay partner. Nice and cool without it across the bridge, until we hit Burlington and it was warmer again.
Right then i started to feel rough. I had done this section in training, it was so much harder now. Just running, it wasn't the hills, they didn't bother me. I first really walked on the flats when we hit Plains Road, just a little before that on one hill. This would be around Km 22 or 23. My calfs were threatening to cramp up if I pushed too hard, willpower wasn't the answer I felt. I briefly wondered how long it might take me to walk it in. But I kept running as much as I could. Most splits at this point were just below or above 6:00, except 3 that were over 7 (walking). I didn't think it would be rightous to run pass Maniac Hill just for show, so I did what i was doing, run some and walk some. I've never really walked in a race before, maybe 30 seconds in my first half. I felt stupid above all. My body was ready to do a happy 2:40, my brain or whatever let me down. I did one km at 5:43 down the stretch, but I couldn't sustain it, and I walked a bit in the last Km, within sight of the stadium. Ouch. The ramp didn't bother me, maybe its training on the Bruce Trail so much. Final tally,
1744 2:48:25.0 5:37 2:47:42.6 2871 GRAGG, SHELDON Georgetown 1262/2299 237/440 Men 45 - 49 52:29 1:19:37 1:46:30 Final 10kms took just over an hour. 10Km Splits(chip time): 51, 55, 61. Still, I made my original goal.
Overall (believe it or not) I really did have a great day. Nothing hurt after, people were great, the course is beautiful, etc. My girlfriend had a great time, which is huge, because she usually doesn't run on roads, go past 10kms, or run more than one race a year. Now she's talking about doing the 25k (trail race) at Sulpher Springs!. Good news.
Its just that I felt stupid and humbled, not used to that. I knew what to do, but I didn't do it. Plan the run and, what was it?
Today I feel pretty good, a little sore this afternoon, but I went for a hike with the dog after work, 3.1 Kms at i don't care what pace. love you guys.
Last edited by Doonst on Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:36 pm

Congratulations, on your race, Doonst .... :lol:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

seuss
Kevin Sullivan

Postby seuss » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:40 pm

Woohoo! You made your time goal. Good job. And you learned way more than you would have
2010 - gone viral?
2011 - mitochondrial mystery tour

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:42 pm

seuss wrote:Woohoo! You made your time goal. Good job. And you learned way more than you would have

The downside is that I learned a lesson that I already knew. Only this time, the hard way. Thanks.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:04 pm

I know you have more in you doonster, but don't be too hard on yourself. If your pride is hurt from the inside, go ahead and get mad and take it out on the Waterloo racecourse with a monster PB. But don't worry about your pride from the outside. You have only boosters around here. We've all had those days. Any runner who hasn't felt like $!@* on a racecourse just hasn't raced enough.

You set an ATB benchmark for yourself, and next year you will obliterate it! I'm behind you buddy.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:10 pm

You did a great job and learned some good lessons. You still managed an awesome time!! We're all proud of you!!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:18 pm

dgrant wrote:I know you have more in you doonster, but don't be too hard on yourself. If your pride is hurt from the inside, go ahead and get mad and take it out on the Waterloo racecourse with a monster PB. But don't worry about your pride from the outside. You have only boosters around here. We've all had those days. Any runner who hasn't felt like $!@* on a racecourse just hasn't raced enough.

You set an ATB benchmark for yourself, and next year you will obliterate it! I'm behind you buddy.

You know that I hate it when you're mushy Dave.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

ChrisL
Jerome Drayton

Postby ChrisL » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:44 pm

Congratulations Doonst. I know what you mean. Been there done that too.
Faster, stronger, meaner....Arrgh, matey!

If you are not first, you're last - Reese Bobby

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:46 pm

Great stuff Sheldon!
Yeah, that race would be really hard to pace for if you didn't know the course really well. You definitely learned a lot and HEY you made your original goal so feel good!! Congratulations.
Lisa :)
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

BaldGuy
Jerome Drayton

Postby BaldGuy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:57 pm

Sheldon, don't be too hard on yourself, man -- a wise person on another forum once said, and I am fond of quoting him or her, "You take more away from a tough day than you do from an effortless PR." -- I did the same thing at my first half-marathon (Toronto 2004) and walked/jogged up University Avenue, finishing just over 2 hours (yay!) but feeling like an idiot (boo!). In the long run (no pun intended), it's one day. One race.

Without the crappy days, how would we recognize the good ones?
BG

dgrant1
Bruce Kidd

Postby dgrant1 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:23 pm

dgrant wrote: We've all had those days. Any runner who hasn't felt like $!@* on a racecourse just hasn't raced enough.

Too right! You done good, man... you sucked it up and finished, and now you'll move on...
Next up:

Marvin Martian
Bruce Kidd

Postby Marvin Martian » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:27 pm

Still fast Doonst! Will try and heed your cautionary tale 8)

runjanerun
Jerome Drayton

Postby runjanerun » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:12 am

It's hard when we have to learn from our mistakes, but those are the lessons that we remember. It probably doesn't make you feel any better to hear that you had an awesome finishing time and you did achieve your original goal. But you did finish and you are most likely stronger because of it.

I am willing to bet that your next race will be a really good experience because of what you have learned at ATB.
Jane

tritorun
Tom Longboat

Postby tritorun » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:54 am

There is not a runner out there that has not gone out too fast. I also have done it at ATB and it was humbling because the second half is so much harder than the first.

Remember the lesson and go on.

Paul
7 Marathons and counting!
Peterbourough Half 2007 (5:02:38)
Ironman Canada - 2007 (11:29:51)
with the slowest Marathon of my life

Up Next- rest for a while.

da
Bill Crothers

Postby da » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:51 am

I saw you out on the course! I saw this guy ahead of me in an orange shirt and an orange hat and I was like oh, cool a maniac. I will say hi when I catch up. So I pushed myself to catch up and it was just an orange shirt so I didn’t say hi but I’m sure I looked at you funny. It would have been just before 20k and it looks like your split is really close to mine there.

Great race, and great for persevering. We all have not so great days and you really do learn from it (see my Ptbo ½ report!)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:41 am

Ah, Doonst, you have many more races ahead of you. 2:48 is nothing to sneeze at! Just consider it your baseline for next year!

Congrats on your race! Great seeing you again!
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

SusanD
Bill Crothers

Postby SusanD » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:48 am

dgrant said it perfectly.

Don't be too hard on yourself... ya done good, doonst!
Done: Full 2, 30k 2, 25k 1, Half 11, 13k 2, 10k 2, 8k 1, 5k 20 ...
Hmmm... this needs an update!

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:48 am

Ann, your splits show the race I planned, but did not execute! The 2 minutes that I was ahead at 10 Km cost me 8 minutes by the end.
I don't mind my final time, its just the way it played out. In retropect, I think that I was overconfident, allowing myself to be distracted at race start. I took my eye off the prize. I did learn one thing new, it is hard to slow down, once you go out fast! It really is.
Last edited by Doonst on Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
next up:

One fine day
One fine day

Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robbie-T » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:48 am

Nice report Doonst, almost made a tear come to me eye. Very Sweet.

I'm proud of you big man!! You dug way deep and finished, you didn't give up, quit and fall flat on your face (sounds like a song) That's a very respectable time.

You know what this long run is going to do for your Waterloo Half!!! Watch out!!
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

RunDiva
Bill Crothers

Postby RunDiva » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:20 am

Hey Doonst,
Sounds like you fought hard and still made your time goal. It's always good to learn something from those 'Character Runs'.
Congrats!

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:21 am

Doonst, thanks for posting a great report that shows how you were feeling, even if it wasn't the best day for you. You still did awesome! And you'll take what you learned this race and use it to help you on the next.

Congrats!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

mlazenby
Bill Crothers

Postby mlazenby » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:56 am

Doonst wrote:The 2 minutes that I was ahead at 10 Km cost me 8 minutes by the end

Thanks for providing the rest of us with proof of how true that really is. Kudos to you for having the guts to redline it at a challenging distance and on a challenging course. I think to really learn exactly where that fine line is you have to go over it once in a while.

Still a good time. :)
Hola!

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:16 am

Doonst. Great work pushing through a hard run. We all have those runs, where we do something that messes with the "plan". You learned from your race (and still managed to post a killer time in my opinion!). Looking forward to cheering you on in Waterloo!
:D

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:26 am

Doonst - sounds like you and I had similar days......execpt, you still managed to make your goal time! ;)

As for walking a bit on the course - it can be a humbling experience that everyone goes through once in awhile. Cuz, really...if all races were effortless PB's, would they really mean that much to us?
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:44 am

Doonst wrote:The 2 minutes that I was ahead at 10 Km cost me 8 minutes by the end.

Races can be very humbling. You grinded it out, and you will come back stronger next time.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

Return to “Run/Race Reports”