Another Rider Says Lance Armstrong Took EPO

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

SteveF
Bill Crothers

Re: Another Rider Says Lance Armstrong Took EPO

Postby SteveF » Wed May 25, 2011 6:01 am

DougG wrote:I really don't care what he took. My opinion of him will not change.

+1 There are a lot of people who are idolized. Some way less worthy than LA. Livestrong has raised millions of dollars for cancer research and education, as well as donated 1/2 a million to Hurricane Katrina relief. If overlooking him cheating at a bike race makes me unethical, then so be it. Sports need an icon, even a slightly tarnished one.

Have you ever watched Survivor? IMO it's like the juror at the finale who is disgruntled and can't believe someone would lie to get to the end, even though they were doing the same thing and got caught. In the end, they played the game and lost to someone better.

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Wed May 25, 2011 7:22 am

DougG wrote:And here I thought the soap operas were al cancelled :D do I think Lance took something? Yes. However what that something is remains to be seen. The terperformance enhancing drugs is another phrase that has been thrown around so muc that it is meaningless. Caffeine is a performance enhancer, as are many other everyday drugs.
Lance has been found guilty of nothing. He is one of, if not the most tested athlete of his time, and he passed every test. I believe someone is innocent until proven guilty. Lance has earned the benefit of a thousands doubts. Most of those coming public have alterior motives for their accusations, so I ignore them.
I really don't care what he took. My opinion of him will not change.

Doug...nice to hear your opinion again, and nice to see you put it so eloquently as usual. Agree +1

As for MyTriLife..... dude, there has been a bunch of your kind on these boards who hide behind their PC's sinking to the level of insults not really caring about others right to sensible speech. Try and keep it nice, as right now, from my experience, the mods are emailing each other about a "thread that's getting heated", they will shut it down and we will have yet another great discussion gone to the pooper because of posts like yours! Then comes the parental post reminding us that there are rulers, blah blah blah.

Sooooo.......speak your mind.....just be kind....it's pretty easy!

If you were on the team bus all those years and saw something, produce it. And, just as an FYI, I do not condone fraud either, actualy spent years fighting it for a living. HOWEVER.....not sure if ANYONE would believe me or not.....but there ARE people who DO lie under oath.....AND DON'T GO TO JAIL!!!!

B
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed May 25, 2011 8:01 am

Marion Jones was tested as much or more than Lance. She passed every test. She doped her whole career. Strike one.

It's "ulterior" motive and no... being subpoenaed is not an ulterior motive, it's a requirement of the LAW. Strike two.

DougG wrote:
I really don't care what he took.

Then you sir have no ethics. Strike three. Thanks for playing.

Forgive me oh righteous one, for my spelling errors. ^:)^
This might shock you, but we are entitled to our opinions even if they do not conform with yours. You must be very wise, knowing pretty well nothing about me, yet you understand my ethics. I am impressed. :roll:

Bman, as usual it is always great to hear from you. :D
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Postby RobAllen » Wed May 25, 2011 8:32 am

Since Lance Armstrong was a cyclist in the Tour DE France (as well as many tours) he should be treated like a cyclist first and foremost if he in fact is found out to have used PED's. He should be sanctioned as any other cyclist would. The LAF and LiveStrong foundation should have nothing to do with it. Having cancer should have nothing to do with it. Following the rules of the governing body should be all there is. So many in the past have been tested countless times, never tested positive but have come out and admitted to PED's.

Unfortunately the evidence/assumptions/rumours that have been around for 15 years are now all coming to head creating the perfect storm. This time other cyclists and team members have the threat of prison time if they continue to lie. Cycling has been and is a culture, they all know what is going on around them. Just like so many other sports. Armstrong has been quiet since the Hincapie story. Bruyneel has left the Giro and is not saying a word since the 60 minutes story came out. This is taking too long this time for either to come up with a rebuttal to the stories. It was easy to discredit Floyd Landis. A little more difficult to discredit Hamilton and almost impossible to discredit the brother/soldier Hincapie.

If there is enough information that becomes public or for the grand jury to move forward I would hope Lance Armstrong comes clean. Spill his guts. He is the key figurehead for cycling even though he is now retired. If Lance talks people will listen - he can change cycling by targeting the governing body. What sport has such a huge issue with PEDs that will not allow an outside agency to conduct the drug testing. The UCI performs all of their own drug testing and they control the results. Outside agencies, USADA (at this year's Tour of California), WADA, private testing labs have all offered to do the testing only to be frustrated at the process required by UCI and backed out as their integrity could not be upheld. This whole issue starts at the top of the food chain and Lance is not the top.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed May 25, 2011 9:42 am

SteveF wrote:+1 There are a lot of people who are idolized. Some way less worthy than LA. Livestrong has raised millions of dollars for cancer research and education,

Correction: they raied money for "awareness". Hang on tight, there's more to come on the charity stuff... and it ain't pretty.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed May 25, 2011 9:49 am

mytrilife wrote:I happen to think that fraud and cheating are NOT ok.

I agree... and after so many other riders have been taken down from that era it hardly seems right that the biggest baddest cheater of them all has gotten away with it, with his 7 wins intact.

If you're a domestique and you're caught, they can't throw you under the bus fast enough. If you're Lance and you're caught, it's all chuckles and handshakes with the UCI, a few envelopes and you're golden. Fair?

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Wed May 25, 2011 10:45 am

[Moderator]

A lot of good points are being made in this thread.

Can we continue to make them without attacking one another's character?

Thank you!

[/moderator]
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed May 25, 2011 10:49 am

If you're a domestique and you're caught, they can't throw you under the bus fast enough. If you're Lance and you're caught, it's all chuckles and handshakes with the UCI, a few envelopes and you're golden. Fair?

Fair? That's life. Stars in any endeavour get different treatment that "regular" people. That includes people making unproven accusations against them.
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Re:

Postby TheBman » Wed May 25, 2011 11:16 am

turd ferguson wrote:[Moderator]

A lot of good points are being made in this thread.

Can we continue to make them without attacking one another's character?

Thank you!

[/moderator]

told ya!

B
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
NYC Marathon November 6

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Wed May 25, 2011 11:21 am

DougG wrote:

Fair? That's life. Stars in any endeavour get different treatment that "regular" people. That includes people making unproven accusations against them.

Bingo...that's exactly why Snoop Dog wont be caught with weed in his pockets..........but his "make up" person will!!!

B
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
NYC Marathon November 6

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed May 25, 2011 11:29 am

Hide behind my keyboard? There are plenty of people on this board that have met me in person and/or know me personally. Private message me... I'll give you my phone number, we can have a chat.

I never said anyone didn't have a right to an opinion. In fact... I welcome everyones opinion.
If you are going to regurgitate Lance Armstrong lawyer PR spin however, I'm going to refute it.

The issue that seems to have everyone up in arms is that I questioned someone's ethics.
Sports have rules. The last I checked, doping with EPO, etc, was banned from cycling.
If one says "I think Lance was great, so I don't care if he doped", then I have to ask... what rules DO matter to that person?
When you make statements such as that, you bring your own character in question.
If pointing that out was "attacking someone's character" and against the rules here, then I apologize.

The irony of this... Lance's defense of doping allegations is to attack the character of everyone who speaks out.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed May 25, 2011 11:35 am

When you make statements such as that, you bring your own character in question.

You can have your own opinion, as erroneous as it is.
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed May 25, 2011 11:41 am

DougG wrote:

You can have your own opinion, as erroneous as it is.

Thanks. I appreciate that.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed May 25, 2011 11:42 am

And this just in... another Lance EPO "positive" at 2002 Dauphine.

Details. Not "positive" but "at the limit" for suspicion. Dr. Ferrari was a great coach indeed.
Last edited by Wu wei on Wed May 25, 2011 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Epictetus

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed May 25, 2011 4:23 pm

DougG wrote:

It was life - until the U.S. government took an interest. Lance is going down, and is sure as hell looks good on him. IMO.

BTW, as for "unproven" - witness testimony under oath is accepted in every court of law for a reason... :roll: There are people serving life sentences or on death row with less evidence against them than Lance.

jono
Visit my blog!

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Wed May 25, 2011 6:42 pm

BTW, as for "unproven" - witness testimony under oath is accepted in every court of law for a reason... There are people serving life sentences or on death row with less evidence against them than Lance.

No charges have been laid by anyone. If there was solid evidence why not charge him (or disqualify him)?
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

drghfx
Abby Hoffman

Postby drghfx » Wed May 25, 2011 7:37 pm

DougG wrote:
BTW, as for "unproven" - witness testimony under oath is accepted in every court of law for a reason... There are people serving life sentences or on death row with less evidence against them than Lance.

No charges have been laid by anyone. If there was solid evidence why not charge him (or disqualify him)?

That is what the US Grand Jury is deciding, even with Lance and his lawyers calling it a waste of taxpayer's money.

Good people can do bad good things.

Bad people can do good things.

I can't see Lance ever coming clean, if he was a cheater. He would have to give back $7M to the sponsor who he won the settlement against, plus all the other cases where he got his legal fees back. He would be admitting to perjury in the same sponsor case, and perhaps in some of the other cases if they ever went to testimony, which I'm not sure if they did or not. Don't know if any of it would result in jail time for perjury but there is that potential. He could be convicted of smuggling drugs into a number of countries and perhaps across state lines. I think the US Postal sponsorship could result in fraud charges as well. Therefore, I don't think he will ever come clean no matter the evidence against him.
"A true conservationist is a man who knows that the world is not given by his fathers but borrowed from his children." - John James Audubon

"The ultimate test of a moral society is the kind of world that it leaves to its children." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

"I was watching the London Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and another runner dressed as an egg. I thought: 'This could be interesting'." - Paddy Lennox

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast!" - author unknown

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Wed May 25, 2011 8:46 pm

DougG wrote:

Wait for it... it's coming. Bonds, Marian Jones, they all took time and were less complex than the Lance case. His spans multiple continents and literally hundreds of riders and team personnel...

jono
Visit my blog!

Mark.AU
Bill Crothers

Postby Mark.AU » Wed May 25, 2011 9:22 pm

The ugliest thing about this whole thing is the glee with which some people (yes, some of you, reading this...) are anticipating what is actually going to be a tragedy for millions of people when they see one of their heroes, someone who has given them inspiration and has been a role model [to them], torn down. I think it's something that should make right minded people sad, regardless of whether or not LA actually did dope, not gloat all over the internet.

That's MY opinion. I already know what one or two of you might write in response to my comment, so know this; I already know your position on it and I don't give a crap what you think about mine.
“We are what we think. / All that we are arises with our thoughts. / With our thoughts we make the world.” Dhammapada,

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Wed May 25, 2011 11:37 pm

Mark. wrote:The ugliest thing about this whole thing is the glee with which some people (yes, some of you, reading this...) are anticipating what is actually going to be a tragedy for millions of people when they see one of their heroes, someone who has given them inspiration and has been a role model [to them], torn down. I think it's something that should make right minded people sad, regardless of whether or not LA actually did dope, not gloat all over the internet.

That's MY opinion. I already know what one or two of you might write in response to my comment, so know this; I already know your position on it and I don't give a crap what you think about mine.

You talkin to me? ;-) I agree with you. I know a lady who raised $25,000 to ride with Lance. She is.. umm.. not impressed at the moment to say the least.
But there are plenty of heroes out there to inspire and encourage people. My friend, the rest of the world, and cycling will do just fine without Lance.

“Never idealize others. They will never live up to your expectations. " - Leo F. Buscaglia

I went back and read my responses in this thread carefully. And no point do I take any GLEE with demise of the Armstrong myth.
If you want to know... in 2003 I wore a yellow wristband, I was reading Lance's "It's not about the bike", and getting up at 4:30am every morning to watch Le Tour to cheer on Lance.
But things never added up for me, something never sat right, and I questioned things... and started to uncover the real cycling stories that never get reported in the mainstream media in North America or during the highly biased tour coverage we see.

As the truth comes out.. it highlights the ugly secret that most cycling fans would rather not admit... that cycling is probably the dirtiest sport on the planet.
It's a tragedy it got this bad, but I see hope that the cleansing is coming... and things might finally change.
Epictetus

jamix
Bill Crothers

Postby jamix » Thu May 26, 2011 5:13 am

Mark. wrote:The ugliest thing about this whole thing is the glee with which some people (yes, some of you, reading this...) are anticipating what is actually going to be a tragedy for millions of people when they see one of their heroes, someone who has given them inspiration and has been a role model [to them], torn down. I think it's something that should make right minded people sad, regardless of whether or not LA actually did dope, not gloat all over the internet.

+1.
2013 GOALS:

- Compete in the "Early Bird Sprint Triathlon" in May
- Run a 5km pb during the "Bushtukah Canada Day Road Race"
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon
- Cycle > 33 km / hr during the cycle portion of a Sprint Triathlon.
- Stay healthy and happy

Races

April 28th: Manotick 10km (40:16)
May 18th: Ottawa Early Bird Sprint Triathlon (DNF)
June 8th: Riverkeeper SuperSprint (2nd overall)
July 1st: Bushtukah Canada Day 5km (18:37)

Edward
Tom Longboat

Postby Edward » Thu May 26, 2011 5:47 am

Wow,

Quite the discussion. :shock:

If we go back through history, from baseball to football to tri to running to any sport, athletes are always trying to get an edge. Some make mistakes, things that are banned are changed etc. The world evolves.

Lance won 7 times, did a WORLD of good for raising awareness for cancer and is the most arrogant confident cyclist you will ever meet. Good for him on all accounts.

The year is 2011, do we really care about 1999? Why are we even talking about this? Don't we all have some training or running to do? :dance:

I don't live in the past. Time to move on, enjoy life to the fullest each and every day, you never know when it will be your last. :shifty:

What were we talking about again? Lance who? Who cares..........
Edward

January 2012- New Year`s Day Marathon and Run4Rkids 6 Hour Ultra
February 2012 - Melbourne Beach Marathon
March 2012 - Around the Bay
April 2012 - Paris to Ancaster Cycling Race and the "No Wimp" Challenge 21k and 50 k in Michigan
May 2012 - Sulphur Springs 50 k
June 2012 - Niagara 100 k -first ever DNF
July 2012 - Badwater Ultramarathon (crew member)
August 2012 - Beast of Burden 50 Miler
September 2012 - Run for Heros Marathon
October 2012 - Vulture Bait 50 k
November 2012 - Road2Hope Marathon and JFK 50 Miler
December 2012 - Have to find a race to make it an even dozen.

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Thu May 26, 2011 9:08 am

The ugliest thing about this whole thing is the glee with which some people (yes, some of you, reading this...) are anticipating what is actually going to be a tragedy for millions of people when they see one of their heroes, someone who has given them inspiration and has been a role model [to them], torn down. I think it's something that should make right minded people sad, regardless of whether or not LA actually did dope, not gloat all over the internet.

Well said.
injured
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
CANI 10k. June. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Thu May 26, 2011 10:55 am

Relevant:

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 am

I read this morning that lance has beefed up his legal team by hiring two lawyers that represented mlb players in a doping case.

If he was innocent, why would he hire lawyers????? Lawyers who have represented dopers!!!!! The MOUNTAIN of evidence grows!!!!!
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Return to “The Dark Side”