Woman gives birth after finishing Chicago Marathon

A comfortable place for anyone and everyone to talk about running

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Woman gives birth after finishing Chicago Marathon

Postby HCcD » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:52 pm

Irongirl wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:Glad it worked out OK, but is it really best for baby to push yourself to that extreme in the 9th month of a pregnancy?? Even Paula knew to take some time off!

jono

To be fair Paula took time off from competing in marathons, but she did run right up to the end of her pregnancy. I'm sure she could have completed a marathon, but that is rarely her goal. And a time of 6.5 hours is more walking than running.

Still- even with her doctor's approval, I'm not sure this was such a smart thing to do for the woman in Chicago. I'll probably get slammed for that comment...

i dunno - at first, i was really taken aback - but, 6.5 hours - that's walking pace.

my half marathon at 24 weeks pregnant, where I ran probably harder than I should have might have been more "dangerous" since i was only 24 weeks pregnant. if i had done something to the baby, it was still soooooo tiny, that i could have been risking things. At 39 weeks - I'll say it again - baby is already cooked, there's not much you can do to that baby that will hurt it.

According to the follow-up link ... she actually ended up running two marathons during her pregnancy, the first one about 17 weeks in and this past weekend at 39 weeks ... the article further indicated that she ran through her first pregnancy, as well ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

DougG
Jerome Drayton

Postby DougG » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:54 pm

he can make any call she likes with her body and her child with her husband and deal with the outcome. However, as I am human, I can form an opinion of this news item I heard this morning and now reading about it on the net. At 39 weeks of pregnancy, she is about to bring into the world a beautiful child. For the life of me, I cannot understand why someone would be thinking of running a marathon at that time. Doing something against the grain? Proving to one's self that I can do anything? Is it Ego? I don't believe it is about the baby. Someone had mentioned that at 39 weeks, the baby is all formed. But there are so many things that can still go wrong. Agreed that they could go wrong just as a matter of due course, but you would be pushing fate a bit. Why?

“I was having a conversation with my parents and said, ‘You know what? I have no plans of actually finishing,’” she told reporters yesterday. “I was planning on running half, skipping to the end, then walking across the finish line.”

Instead, she started running the race in her husband. The pair ran the first half, but slowed to a walk during the second half as her contractions started. She finished the race in 6.5 hours, grabbed some food and headed straight to the hospital.

Contractions on the course, but kept going. Smart? Brave? Gusty? Ego, at the time her baby was coming....wow...

Don't misunderstand, I think it's great to be physically active during a pregnancy and running. But, as people have pointed out to me in the past, you don't need to train or run a marathon to maintain good fitness.

EDIT: I'm just being honest, I'm not looking to run for office

Well said.

If anyone think's I am judging the woman, I'm ok with it.
injured
Snowflake 10k....stopped at 5k
Rest of the year a write off because of injury.
Snowflake 10k Jan 1 done
Run 4 Kids 10k Jan 7 done
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k. April 8 a disaster, but I finished
Centurion 50k at Horseshoe Valley (cycling) done
Centurion 50 miler at Blue Mountain (cycling) done.....barely!
Snowflake 5k, Dec 16 - done
Harry Rosen 8k. April. done
Rotary 5k fun run. May. done
CANI 10k. June. done
Canada Day 10k. July. done
Barrie Waterfront 5k. Aug. done
CANI 10 k. Oct. done
Base Borden Army Run 10k. done

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:22 pm

I found walking helped with my contractions with #2, but I had to stop for each contraction and hold on to something. And I went around my block...not 42 km.

I think she is a crazypants, but it is her body, her decision. Every woman handles pregnancy differently, and she was obviously able to stay active. That isn't going to stop me from thinking she is a crazypants.

fstreet
Johnny Miles

Postby fstreet » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Just like running is an experiment of one I think pregnancy can be too. But thankfully I'm a guy so I don't have to find out for myself! :wink:

The reasons I think people are making a big stink out of nothing comes down to at least these points:

1) We are complete wimps in our modern society and have to protect everyone from every little possible risk.

It's pathetic.

No, it really is and yes I'm being judgmental on this.

Spend some time over at whitewhine.com and think about it for a minute.

2) What's she supposed to be doing? Sitting down waiting for the labour to happen?

Does it matter if she has to get a ride/taxi/ambulance from her home or from a marathon course?

I mean, really, is it going to make a difference unless she lives right next door to a hospital?

3) Women aren't weaklings. They are adapted to produce children so they are strong enough to take it most of the time.

Yes, we should assist with clean rooms/gloves/instruments etc... but, really, we are spoiled brats (see #1).

4) People really don't appreciate risk. The biggest risk to her health and that of her baby was the drive from her house to the start line. Running/walking under some discomfort isn't even close.

Once again, what is she supposed to do - never drive anywhere while pregnant? never cross a street (even at a crosswalk) while pregnant?

Heaven forbid if she went for a run, while pregnant, wearing headphones! The crazies would come out and cry about the risk of some helicopter or airplane landing on her, because, you know, it happens to people who use an Ipod! :roll: :lol:

Those are far more likely risks to her health, and the health of the baby, than a long walk.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:04 pm

fstreet wrote:Just like running is an experiment of one I think pregnancy can be too. But thankfully I'm a guy so I don't have to find out for myself! :wink:

The reasons I think people are making a big stink out of nothing comes down to at least these points:

1) We are complete wimps in our modern society and have to protect everyone from every little possible risk.

It's pathetic.

2) What's she supposed to be doing? Sitting down waiting for the labour to happen?

Does it matter if she has to get a ride/taxi/ambulance from her home or from a marathon course?

I mean, really, is it going to make a difference unless she lives right next door to a hospital?

3) Women aren't weaklings. They are adapted to produce children so they are strong enough to take it most of the time.

Yes, we should assist with clean rooms/gloves/instruments etc... but, really, we are spoiled brats (see #1).

4) People really don't appreciate risk. The biggest risk to her health and that of her baby was the drive from her house to the start line. Running/walking under some discomfort isn't even close.

Once again, what is she supposed to do - never drive anywhere while pregnant? never cross a street (even at a crosswalk) while pregnant?

Heaven forbid if she went for a run, while pregnant, wearing headphones! The crazies would come out and cry about the risk of some helicopter or airplane landing on her, because, you know, it happens to people who use an Ipod! :roll: :lol:

Those are far more likely risks to her health, and the health of the baby, than a long walk.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:14 pm

fstreet - I was with you completely until I found out she was having contractions / in labour during the race. At some point a good decision (I don't fault her at all for starting)can become a bad one (continuing to race while having contractions).
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

PinkLady
Bill Crothers

Postby PinkLady » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Disclaimer - Haven't checked out whitewhine.com. ;)

Do we in a privileged society whine too much about small risks and worry too much about everything? Probably.

Is childbirth, with proper attendants (important: I am NOT debating hospital vs home birth here, attended homebirths are as safe or more safe than hospital births) resulting in safer and healthier outcomes for mom and baby compared to the past? Yes.

Is childbirth one of the greatest risks to the life and health of an otherwise healthy young woman in undeveloped/developing worlds? Also yes. (Of course prenatal care, healthy diet, yadda yadda yadda, but that's getting way off tangent.)

I think the point here is that no one is saying a pregnant lady needs to be rolled up in bubble wrap and be on bed rest for 10 months. That's a strawman argument. But it's one thing to stay active in a reasonable manner and taking it to extremes, and running or even only walking a marathon is a challenge for anyone, trained or not. 42.2km is not exactly a leisurely stroll around the neighborhood!

And, there's the question of how hard was she pushing herself? From what I can glean from the article, she sounds pretty competitive. Would the baby have been born that day if she hadn't finished the marathon? Impossible to answer, of course, but something worth considering.

I agree with Fishpants - I think she's crazypants too!

turd ferguson wrote:fstreet - I was with you completely until I found out she was having contractions / in labour during the race. At some point a good decision (I don't fault her at all for starting)can become a bad one (continuing to race while having contractions).

Yes, I agree with this completely! If you notice my previous posts on this thread, my opinion on the matter did a complete 180 when I learned about the contractions.

Anywho, not my body, not my choice, etc. etc.....but when I was preggo, and wanted to do something/eat something that was in any way questionable, I would ask myself that in the very unlikely chance that something were to happen to the baby as a result, could I live with myself? Most times the answer was no. Now you might call me overcautious and paranoid :shifty: , but that's my personal choice that I don't dictate to anyone else.
Last edited by PinkLady on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandra...Air Force wife & Professional Kid Wrangler...I knit to stay sane, I run to eat!
2012 - year of perseverance, endurance, survival, and earning blackmail material for life. :D
My running log: http://www.runningmania.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=44092

PB's:
Army Run HM (Sep 18, 2011) - 1:55:14

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Irongirl wrote:
fstreet wrote:Just like running is an experiment of one I think pregnancy can be too. But thankfully I'm a guy so I don't have to find out for myself! :wink:

It's pathetic.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :)

She was IN LABOUR on the course.

There's a big difference between going for a short run or walk while you're pregnant and run/walking a marathon.

I'm all for keeping fit during pregnancy and for women making choices for themselves. At a certain point responsibility must trump personal choice. This was irresponsible.

What really annoys me about this whole story is that she has become a celebrity for doing something really dumb.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

abhainn
Abby Hoffman

Postby abhainn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:26 pm

turd ferguson wrote:fstreet - I was with you completely until I found out she was having contractions / in labour during the race. At some point a good decision (I don't fault her at all for starting)can become a bad one (continuing to race while having contractions).

Do we even know at what point in the race she started having contractions? I read that she'd had the same thing happen while in training and I think I saw that it wasn't until she had finished the race that she realized they were regular contractions and she was in fact in labour, at which point she went directly to hospital.

Not even the doctors can agree on whether this was perfectly fine or a huge risk. I think each woman has to work out what is best for her body and her pregnancy.

And for what's it's worth, I agree with fstreet on every point.
Andrea Michelle

------------------------------------------------

"There are no fish in my pond"

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Also, I agree that our kids our coddled, that we protect them too much, that sushi and a little red wine during pregnancy isn't the end of the world, that kids should go play outdoors more and generally be less coddled.

I recognize that if we lived in the third world, my 6 year old would already have a job sewing Nikes or making iPads or something. So what? Put me on whitewhine.com for insisting he go to the first grade instead.

But that doesn't mean that every step we take to protect our kids is wrongheaded.

I think the "line" of protecting our kids has gone too far to overprotectiveness, but that doesn't mean that there's no line at all.
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:33 pm

abhainn wrote:

Do we even know at what point in the race she started having contractions? I read that she'd had the same thing happen while in training and I think I saw that it wasn't until she had finished the race that she realized they were regular contractions and she was in fact in labour, at which point she went directly to hospital.

This is precisely why I think it was irresponsible for her to do it. Contractions in pregnancies can feel different and you may not realize how close you are to being in labor. She was close to full-term and doing something like this when already having contractions at all was way too risky.

My contractions went from "is this it?" to full-on, baby-is-coming-out-now contractions very quickly. If that had been me I would have been having the baby on the side of the course and praying that there weren't any complications.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:

canalrunner
Bill Crothers

Postby canalrunner » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:41 pm

FishPants wrote:
I think she is a crazypants

+1 :clap:
The longest journey begins with a single step.
2016 Races
May: Ottawa Marathon

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:43 pm

I am only going to say two things: 1) glad that she and baby are ok and 2) I wouldn't do it.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:45 pm

It was her second child - (oh wait - that's not going to help when talking to you about this)....and, I know lots of people that have contractions for days/weeks before they go into "real" labour.

I had contractions on and off from about 4 pm until about midnight or so before I "really" went into labour.

I went grocery shopping while having contractions as well. Before I did that, I would have been freaked out hearing that though!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:49 pm

Jwolf wrote: What really annoys me about this whole story is that she has become a celebrity for doing something really dumb.

That is where we get our celebrity status from now.

If everything turns out ok - "awesome, amazing"

If it doesnt - "that was stupid"

mcshame
Sylvia Ruegger

Postby mcshame » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Irongirl wrote:

It was her second child - (oh wait - that's not going to help when talking to you about this)....and, I know lots of people that have contractions for days/weeks before they go into "real" labour.

I had contractions on and off from about 4 pm until about midnight or so before I "really" went into labour.

I went grocery shopping while having contractions as well. Before I did that, I would have been freaked out hearing that though!

We had lot's of false labours and Braxton Hicks contractions. After my wife's water broke, we took our time, she took a shower, 2 hours later went to the hospital, they were more worried than we were.

"Honey, how far apart are those contractions? Ahh, no worries, keep running on the treadmill, you still haven't completed your workout... Oh, the contraction are still there and regular? Well, keep going cus who knows when you'll have the chance to run again for the next couple of weeks. If we cut it too close, don't worry, I'll call an ambulance, we'll get there before you deliver. And if we don't make it, women deliver in the 3rd world all the time without a doctor, it will be fine, just finish that run to hit your monthly milestone."

Good thing that wasn't the man that my wife married. :wink:

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:26 pm

toobusy wrote:
Jwolf wrote: What really annoys me about this whole story is that she has become a celebrity for doing something really dumb.

That is where we get our celebrity status from now.

If everything turns out ok - "awesome, amazing"

If it doesnt - "that was stupid"

I saw this on the news tonight.. this is not the first marathon she has run during this pregnancy..

She did one at 17 weeks as well... :wall:
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

dgrant
Lynn Williams

Postby dgrant » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:45 pm

Clearly this woman is ignorant to have ignored all the obituaries of women who have walked several kilometres while having contractions in a crowded place with ambulances everywhere in a city with world renowned medical infrastructure! The data on this subject is overwhelming. Shame I say!

That guy who went to med school and knows her personally? What a dummy!

fstreet
Johnny Miles

Postby fstreet » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:56 pm

dgrant wrote:Clearly this woman is ignorant to have ignored all the obituaries of women who have walked several kilometres while having contractions in a crowded place with ambulances everywhere in a city with world renowned medical infrastructure! The data on this subject is overwhelming. Shame I say!

Exactly.

What's worse is that we have millions of years of evolutionary history showing us just how robust women are and yet we have these people here calling her crazy and dumb for doing something she loves and for which there is no evidence that it provided any extra harm or risk to her or her baby.

fstreet
Johnny Miles

Postby fstreet » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:57 pm

dgrant wrote:Clearly this woman is ignorant to have ignored all the obituaries of women who have walked several kilometres while having contractions in a crowded place with ambulances everywhere in a city with world renowned medical infrastructure! The data on this subject is overwhelming. Shame I say!

Exactly.

What's worse is that we have millions of years of evolutionary history showing us just how robust women are and yet we have these people here calling her crazy and dumb for doing something she loves and for which there is no evidence that it provided any extra harm or risk to her or her baby.

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:12 pm

fstreet wrote:What's worse is that we have millions of years of evolutionary history showing us just how robust women are and yet we have these people here calling her crazy and dumb for doing something she loves and for which there is no evidence that it provided any extra harm or risk to her or her baby.

look at your evolutionary history more carefully- childbirth was the most common cause of death in women before the modern era.

And just because she and her baby turned our ok doesn't mean there was no extra risk over her normal routine.

It's well known that certain behaviors are riskier than others for pregnant women. In fact if it weren't risky, then why would it even be interesting? A 6.5-hour marathon is hardly impressive under normal circumstances.

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:21 pm

There is a HUGE difference between contractions and in labour...and even birthing a child.

For instance, I had contractions...and spontaneous placental abruption (my "water broke" on its own)...for a good 28 hours before my body was anywhere near ready to spit my baby out. In fact, I had contractions for a good week, then the placental abruption...then the contractions went away on their own for several hours and then we started the 28 hour count down.

Contractions do not always equal imminent birthing of babies.
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

fstreet
Johnny Miles

Postby fstreet » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:21 pm

Jwolf wrote:look at your evolutionary history more carefully- childbirth was the most common cause of death in women before the modern era.

And just because she and her baby turned our ok doesn't mean there was no extra risk over her normal routine.

It's well known that certain behaviors are riskier than others for pregnant women. In fact if it weren't risky, then why would it even be interesting? A 6.5-hour marathon is hardly impressive under normal circumstances.

Well, her doctor didn't have a problem with it and it's good enough for him and for her so it's good enough for me.

As for women dying in childbirth - I'm pretty sure it's not from wearing polyester technical clothing while walking 42.2 k. :lol:

fstreet
Johnny Miles

Postby fstreet » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:23 pm

CAW wrote:For instance, I had contractions...and spontaneous placental abruption (my "water broke" on its own)...for a good 28 hours before my body was anywhere near ready to spit my baby out. In fact, I had contractions for a good week, then the placental abruption...then the contractions went away on their own for several hours and then we started the 28 hour count down.

Contractions do not always equal imminent birthing of babies.

For some strange reason, despite being a childless male, I knew this.

Must have listened to my sister or sisters-in law or something.

But, uh, lets not tell them that, ok?

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:36 pm

fstreet wrote:As for women dying in childbirth - I'm pretty sure it's not from wearing polyester technical clothing while walking 42.2 k. :lol:

No, but the point is that we have come a long way in our support of women in childbirth. Putting yourself at risk of being far away from that support is not wise if it's for purely recreation purposes. Just as I wouldn't go for a 10-mile hike in the woods, I wouldn't want to be on a 26-mile marathon course.

As for contractions not meaning imminent labour- no, not always, but that's the point. There are so many unknowns in labour and childbirth. If you are at full term, you don't have to take those kinds of risks, so why would you?

The logic in this thread astounds me.

"I had a long labour so it would have been ok if I was on a marathon course."

"I started contractions 28 hours before my baby's birth so it's ok that she was out on a marathon course."

"Exercise in pregnancy is good so why shouldn't she run/walk a marathon?"

"Women are robust and can make their own decisions about their bodies, therefore they can do anything they want up to the birth of their baby no matter how risky."

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating, but having experienced the other side of it, where my baby was born within a few hours of THE FIRST SIGNS of contractions, it makes me uneasy to hear of a woman taking such risks for something that's only for her own enjoyment. My baby's birth ended up being intense, quick, and uncomplicated; meantime a friend down the hall had serious complications, her baby almost died, and now is severely disabled despite being at one of the best hospitals in Canada. There are SO may unknowns in childbirth--- why take a risk like that when it isn't necessary?

Return to “General Running Discussion”