Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Kristi » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:38 pm

Size5 wrote:
Kristi wrote:N is going to be very tough. Alex can take Timmy in a wrestling match and hold his own! He also seldom cries when he falls, bumps into things, etc.

S5 - you are always welcome here. I love hearing about gender stereotypes for kids. As I have two boys, I've done a bit of reading/listening on how to raise boys - i.e. not telling them to stop crying, making an effort to talk about why they are sad, etc. When I hear stuff like that it's a good reminder to let kids be who they are going to be rather then fitting them into the gender stereotypes.

It was a fascinating thing. It is thought a lot of gender stereotyping is set in the child by aged 3. It's a pretty uphill battle because society isn't exactly open. This family I believes has one child who is 6 and they perhaps home school him.

I believe it. Timmy (3 1/2 years) will ask me things sometimes like "is it okay for boys to watch princess movies?" or "it is okay to like pink?". It amazes me that they have an awareness so young that they may be judged on these things.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:22 am

There are some things that are innate. Jake will always go for the trucks first and Cait the dolls, but it isn't unusual for them to play with each other's toys ar dollhouse together.

I don't know if this is the second family or the first that went public that they were keeping their child's gender a secret. But I do wonder if it is the best thing. It is possible that there will be more gossip around Storm than if his/her gender was disclosed.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Size5 wrote:I know I don't really belong here..... But Im going to comment anyway. I was listening to CBC on a late drive home for the city last night and it was thr show "Ideas"

The show was on gender and stereotypes and it featured a couple in Toronto who decided to not disclose the gender of their third child, called "storm". It was a fascinating show. I found when it started I instantly judged the couple and they were very articulate about their choices, I really learned so much and opened my eyes! Anyhow, I. The show they talked about how we "baby" our girls an underestimate what they are capable of physically handling. So don't underestimate N or D, they can handle themselves :lol:! If you have time, listen to the podcast. It was excellent.

I didn't hear that specific podcast but i read about these people in the papers when what they were doing was discovered. It's definitely not something that I would support but of course they can do what they like. I"m all for letting your boys play with dolls and wear pink, girls play in mud and be tough and basically letting them be however they want to be. But I don't think that trying to raise a child as an "it" is good idea. I doubt this kid will appreciate this once he or she is of an age to understand gender. It will be interesting to see if they achieve their goals of raising thier child this way or end up with a totally messed up teenager.

And of course you are welcome here Size5. :D

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:22 pm

AndyM wrote:I doubt this kid will appreciate this once he or she is of an age to understand gender. It will be interesting to see if they achieve their goals of raising thier child this way or end up with a totally messed up teenager.

I agree and this is why I don't think the parents can just "do whatever they want". Of course they will, but I think these parents are doing more harm to their kid with this silly experiment than they would by exposing him/her to any unintentional gender stereotypes.

I haven't heard the podcast but I did read the article when it was in the G&M.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:18 pm

I remember hearing something about this on CBC radio a while ago. I remember thinking 2 things at the time - one, despite saying that they were doing this because of gender stereotypes and to take away preconceptions of their child based on his/her gender, they've succeeded in making gender the most (and to most people, the only) interesting and significant thing about their child. Two, while sterotypes are limiting and not universally true, there are differences in boys and girls in how they learn and interact with others, and in how they are influenced by gender images and stereotypes in society. Pretending gender doesn't exist, or isn't part of creating an identity for yourself is kind of silly. I think that there are better ways of breaking down stereotypes.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:22 pm

Hammie wrote:I remember hearing something about this on CBC radio a while ago. I remember thinking 2 things at the time - one, despite saying that they were doing this because of gender stereotypes and to take away preconceptions of their child based on his/her gender, they've succeeded in making gender the most (and to most people, the only) interesting and significant thing about their child. Two, while sterotypes are limiting and not universally true, there are differences in boys and girls in how they learn and interact with others, and in how they are influenced by gender images and stereotypes in society. Pretending gender doesn't exist, or isn't part of creating an identity for yourself is kind of silly. I think that there are better ways of breaking down stereotypes.

Very well said.

(Nice to know there are people here who can express my opinion way more articulately and clearly than I can. ;) )
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:49 pm

AndyM wrote:
Size5 wrote:I know I don't really belong here..... But Im going to comment anyway. I was listening to CBC on a late drive home for the city last night and it was thr show "Ideas"

The show was on gender and stereotypes and it featured a couple in Toronto who decided to not disclose the gender of their third child, called "storm". It was a fascinating show. I found when it started I instantly judged the couple and they were very articulate about their choices, I really learned so much and opened my eyes! Anyhow, I. The show they talked about how we "baby" our girls an underestimate what they are capable of physically handling. So don't underestimate N or D, they can handle themselves :lol:! If you have time, listen to the podcast. It was excellent.

I didn't hear that specific podcast but i read about these people in the papers when what they were doing was discovered. It's definitely not something that I would support but of course they can do what they like. I"m all for letting your boys play with dolls and wear pink, girls play in mud and be tough and basically letting them be however they want to be. But I don't think that trying to raise a child as an "it" is good idea. I doubt this kid will appreciate this once he or she is of an age to understand gender. It will be interesting to see if they achieve their goals of raising thier child this way or end up with a totally messed up teenager.

And of course you are welcome here Size5. :D
I wouldn't say they are raising their child as an "it" at all. Their point was in the first few formative years that they didn't focus on gender and thus fall into the more socially accepted stereotypes. They have older children who obviously know their own gender and a child will be able to self identify as a boy/girl very early but the question is more about what that child transforms into with a very different early exposure.
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:58 pm

I don't have strong feelings about the gender-neutral baby, but, I will add this anecdotal experience....

We didn't find out the sex for either baby. EVERYONE wanted to know though. I was asked repeatedly "do you know what it is?"

My answer was always "it's a baby."

I reminded people that for the first while (long while, really), the sex of the baby wasn't going to change the way that I had to prepare and care for the baby. (If it was a boy, we did have to make a circumcision decision). Other than that, it really didn't matter for my "preparations" for baby as to what the sex was. People didn't like that.

Having said all of this - whether or not you find out the sex of your baby before it's born is entirely a personal decision, and, our experience and decision was our own.
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

Bebette
Bill Crothers

Postby Bebette » Mon May 07, 2012 8:21 am

Storm's father happened to teach math and science to my oldest daughter in grade 7 and 8. Totally awesome teacher! Very caring, dedicated to foster the love of learning first and foremost, non-conventional, not afraid of his convictions.

Do I agree with he and his wife's approach about Storm's gender? Not really. However, they are loving and caring parents. In my book, this is one of the most important aspect in raising adjusted kids.
I run because it's fun.

In another life:
3 marathons including Boston twice (PB: 3:47), 6 halfs (PB: 1:45), 6 10k (PB: 46:41) and 3 5ks (PB: 21:00)

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Sun May 13, 2012 10:14 am

Happy mother's day, HRMs!

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun May 13, 2012 11:37 am

anners wrote:Happy mother's day, HRMs!

Thanks! You too!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun May 13, 2012 11:39 am

Happy Mother's Day to all the HRM's!

Had a nice 24.6K LSD today...part with Jes and Zack and the rest, the hotter part, alone. Bring on the official taper time!!

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Sun May 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Happy Mother's Day to the HRMs!

Jake got me a lulu gift card, so I am going to be hotter than normal...
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

starflower
Tom Longboat

Postby starflower » Sun May 13, 2012 2:54 pm

Happy Mother's Day!

I missed my 20k final long long run this morning thanks to hand, foot and mouth disease. I'm counting on the rest of my training being strong enough for it not to matter.
Rebecca

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sun May 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Just wanted to poke my head in the doorway today..

To wish all of you an exceptionally HAPPY Mother's day...

To an exceptional bunch of women.

You continue to inspire everyone, and set such incredible examples for your kids.
:YMHUG: :X!
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed May 16, 2012 7:57 am

Thanks Minitee! Very sweet of you.

I learned last night, that an empty running stroller is actually way more difficult to push than one with a kid in it. Now I suppose it might depend on the weight of the child, but in my case it harder! It really bounces and moves around so much. I ended up running a mish mash of a run last night...part with an empty stroller, part speed repeats at track and part with kiddo in stroller. Maybe it has something to do with the speedy effects of a toddler squeeling "yay!!!! park!! Yay!! Park!!" that helped speed me along.

Hoping all the momma's are doing well this week. Enjoying some offical tapering over here!!

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed May 16, 2012 11:31 am

AndyM wrote:
I learned last night, that an empty running stroller is actually way more difficult to push than one with a kid in it. Now I suppose it might depend on the weight of the child, but in my case it harder! It really bounces and moves around so much. I ended up running a mish mash of a run last night...part with an empty stroller, part speed repeats at track and part with kiddo in stroller. Maybe it has something to do with the speedy effects of a toddler squeeling "yay!!!! park!! Yay!! Park!!" that helped speed me along.

Very true! I ran C to daycare a couple of times, and I found the empty stroller bounced around all over the place going over curbs!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:25 pm

How are all the momma's doing?! Some of the Ottawa momma's are in recovery mode after the full/half marathon last weekend. I did the Spartan Sprint race today! I think I've recovered VERY well out of this marathon. I did NOTHING all week and it was glorious! Looking forward to getting back to some sort of fitness routine this week....whatever that is.

2014 Races:

Personal Bests:

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:29 pm

AndyM wrote:How are all the momma's doing?! Some of the Ottawa momma's are in recovery mode after the full/half marathon last weekend. I did the Spartan Sprint race today! I think I've recovered VERY well out of this marathon. I did NOTHING all week and it was glorious! Looking forward to getting back to some sort of fitness routine this week....whatever that is.

And I'm looking forward to not having a routine for a few weeks!

I've recovered well too...ran 14k with Andy this morning :) Started biking to work again on Friday...it's been a long time (2 years!). Aiming for 2x per week, but we'll see :)

How's everyone else doing?
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:49 pm

I'm pretty much recovered! Unfortunately, I got hit with a brutal post-marathon cold on Thursday...darn daycare germs! At least they stayed away until after the race. I got in a 30 minute nap yesterday while DH took C to music, and by some miracle, the whole family slept until 8:30 this morning (though C was up once overnight) so that has helped my recovery. I'm itching to get back out there and run!!!

I'm trying to sort out my summer training plans - I'd like to try and work a swim back into the schedule if I can.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm working on consistancy. Not sleeping for a week and a half in BC really threw a wrench into my motivation.

Did 2 runs this week - Friday and today. Not long ones, but they are done. I am also foregoing walk breaks, which is an interesting change.

anners
Jerome Drayton

Postby anners » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Glad to hear the ORW HRMs have recovered well! Good job getting your runs done, FP.

I ran 3.5k this morning before N woke up from her nap. If only she would nap longer than 30 min! I registered for the Angus Glen 10k in November. I'm feeling okay fitness-wise getting back into running, but I'm way more exhausted with two kids than I was with one. It makes it hard to get the runs done. I'm not pressuring myself, though, just running for enjoyment.

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:59 pm

I like hearing everyone's updates. I was running with some consistency and did the Mississauga 10k. Probably my slowest 10k yet, but faster than expected. Unfortunately, I had a bit of an asthmatic episode after that and have now been diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. My doctor is great and fully supportive of me continuing to run and just use the puffers as needed. I think that it's pretty mild and I'm not too worried about it. I'm debating doing a fall half and have the training all planned out on the calendar, but I'm still undecided. I really want to run another full in the next year so I need to work on losing weight and training consistently to do that.

Another key learning for me - running is hard. Pushing a chariot with over 60lbs of kids in it is very very hard. And humbling!! But it does give me someone to talk to during my run. Where are we going Mommy? Why aren't you going faster Mommy? Go that way Mommy! :D

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Wow I am just SO impressed with everybody's accomplishments. Do you all realize how crazy it is that you are: running marathons, working, getting back to running after having your SECOND (eeeeek) kid, pushing million-pound strollers? I think because we all run on here it seems like it may not be a big deal, but in the real world, it is freaking INSANE!!! Way to freaking go, everybody!

I am just sitting here, enjoying the smell of my own farts.

ETA: Inspired by deerdree's great success, I joined WW. I am eating much better foods, but my digestive system seems to be rebelling!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:51 pm

Lightning, you are so awesome :) I can always count on you for a chuckle!!

I got told today that I was hard core for running with the stroller. Thank you, I will take it :)

Return to “The Scenic Route”