4 Dark Suits, 3 Strangers, 2 Paramedics and 1 Fire Truck

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Mon May 07, 2012 10:42 pm

I had a day that included:
1 marathon
4 dark suits
3 strangers
2 paramedics
1 fire truck

Short version-5th marathon
Chip time 4:12:25
21.1k split  1:57:30
2nd half  2:14:56

I think the title & splits tell the story.  :lol:

My husband was sick for a week before I left, so he was banned from coming within at least 5 feet of me.  I left for Vancouver on Thursday and felt fine, but by Friday my throat was starting to get scratchy, but I hoped it was just because Cheryl and I were talking so much.  I took some NyQuil and had a great sleep Friday night.  Saturday we just hung around the house and had a fun time getting Cheryl's cheering outfit together.  I was in bed by 8:30 and slept pretty good for the night before a race.  My throat was a bit dry feeling, but otherwise I felt ready to go!

I had a solid round of training and had just come off a great half-marathon (1:50:47), so had put it in my journal I was going to try for a 3:55 marathon finish.  I knew this would be tough, but not an unreasonable goal time.  Of course, with a marathon there are no guarantees and anything can happen.

Sunday morning dawned bright and clear, after having 3 days of rain since I had landed in Vancouver.  I felt that was a good sign.  Cheryl and I were ready early as we wanted to get to the start to see the halfers off at 7:00am.  We managed to see Ultraslacker and SuperBob before the gun, but that was it from our half-marathon people.  After they were off we found Size5, Hammie and RunningGoddess.  (I hope I didn't leave anyone out, if I did, I apologize).  Cheryl wished us all well, Hammie moved up to her corral,  Size5and I stayed together in our corral.   My socks were really bugging me, so I undid my shoes and readjusted them, but they still felt weird.  Same shoes and socks as always, so not sure what was up with that.  I was aware of them for the whole race, nothing major, but just a weird numb feeling in my feet.

We were off.  Right from the start I didn't feel smooth and relaxed, but figured I would be fine in a couple of K's.  At about 3-4k a fellow runner (a guy) pulled up beside me and made the comment "it's a great day for a run".   I, answered him, we chatted for a few minutes then he went ahead of me.  We played cat and mouse for a bit, then just somehow ended up running together.  Both of us were looking for a time of 3:55-4:00, so we kept each other on pace quite nicely.  I still didn't feel as good as I thought I should have, but hey, this is a marathon, it's supposed not supposed to be easy.

We hit the half-way mark bang on, but those hills and descents took their toll on me (and my new found friend Marc).  I saw Cheryl right around here and talked to her for about 20 seconds, she asked how I was doing and I should have been able to say fabulous, great, fantastic, but all I could say was good/fine, without much gusto.  Marc got ahead of me here, but I kept my eye on him, and eventually we met up again, and ran together some more.  I was teasing him that he was my running angel, and he was going to pull me across the finish line.

At about 28k I saw my pace was slowing just slightly, but at this point I knew in my head that today wasn't my day.  I was feeling nauseous every so often, but nothing too major.  I walked through a water station and lost Marc-that's OK, he was great help to this point.  Just  after 30k I saw Deirdree cheering like crazy.  Poor D, we had never met before and this sweaty, wet person ran over and gave her a big hug!  (thanks for hugging back D).

Just after getting onto the seawall, I looked up to my surprise Marc was just ahead of me.  We ran/walked together for another couple K's, but when I walked through a water station, he kept going.  
At about 34k I said to myself,  it's just like running once around my lake.  I've done it hundreds of times, I can do it once more.  I ran, not fast, just kept moving forward, and walked through the water stations.  Finally, the crowds got thicker and right near the finish were all the wonderful Maniacs cheering me in.  That has to be the best thing at the end of a marathon-knowing that this great group of people care enough to scream your name and cheer you on.

I went through the finish and who do I see but my new friend Marc.  He saw me, apologized for dropping me, but said if  he had walked when I did he wouldn't have run again.  We had a laugh about that.  We met up with his wife, (who did the half) and her friend.  We headed off to bag check, and half way there is where the fun started.  
I started to shake, see stars, get light headed etc.  Marc told me to sit down.  I don't know how long we were sitting, but his wife and friend found us.  The friend is a nurse and took one look at me and said I needed to go to medical.  The friend and I headed towards medical, Marc's wife went to get my bag.  We went about 10 steps and some other runner saw us struggling so came to our aide.  I couldn't  go any further, so we sat down and somehow everyone came to me.  I had four men in dark suits with a wheelchair & blankets, 2 paramedics with oxygen and three random strangers looking after me.  Soon the fire truck pulled up, but by this time I had water, oxygen, a gel and a banana in my system, so I told them in no uncertain terms I don't need the fire truck. I was still on the side of the street, wrapped up in blankets, in a wheelchair, so everyone who went by was looking at me, with worry and wonder in their eyes. :oops: I guess I wasn't fine, because they wheeled me into the convention centre, to get warm and recover. They kept asking if I had any chest pain. I kept saying no, I was just cold and nauseous. I don't know long we stayed there, but eventually i did feel better. I must have passed some kind of test because the paramedics felt comfortable enough to have me sign a form saying I refused hospital treatment.
My bag (with my phone) was finally reunited with me, so I was able to let Jennifer and the crew know where I was.  I was feeling fine now, and all the medical people felt it was OK to leave me. By the time the Maniacs found me, it was just Marc, his wife and her friend that were left with me.  At the beginning of the marathon when a random stranger talked to me about what a great day it was to run a marathon, I had no idea how much I would depend on him.  I am so grateful that I had a running angel.

I totally agree with Marc, despite all that happened, it was a great day to run a marathon.

I'm not sure what happened, it just wasn't my day to run strong.
I had a fabulous weekend, and would do it again, even with the same results. :D

DISCLAIMER: some of this is a bit jumbled/unclear in my mind, so it might not make much sense. :lol: :lol:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Re: 4 Dark Suits, 3 Stranger, 2 Paramedics and 1 Fire Truck

Postby Hammie » Mon May 07, 2012 10:53 pm

Wow!

Congrats on a solid race, especially with that cold starting (I think I know it well!). You ran a great race, and I'm so relieved that you're ok.

Just like I said to size5, it's great to be part of the ALWTmRC with you!
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Re: 4 Dark Suits, 3 Strangers, 2 Paramedics and 1 Fire Truck

Postby Half-Mary » Mon May 07, 2012 11:20 pm

You gave us quite the scare when we couldn't connect with you at the finish! Never do that again!!! I'm so glad that you are OK!

Now that the scolding is out of the way :lol: I can't believe all that happened after the race. Despite slowing in the second half, you looked fabulous and strong when we were cheering for you near the finish.

Sorry that I missed you at the 30k mark. You were just too quick for me to get there in time after my race. Despite things not going as planned, you still ran a strong race, and finished in a very respectable time. I can only hope to be as fast as you someday.

Deerdree and I heard the siren and saw the firetruck. With all of those racers and spectators, it still blows my mind that it was for one of my friends. Health issues are scary and need to be taken seriously, and I'm glad that the people around you (Marc and crew) were watching out for you and realized the severity of your issues and got you the help that you needed.

I'm already looking forward to Vancouver 2013 - unless you want to add Victoria 2012 (October) to your race plans!

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Tue May 08, 2012 4:12 am

I'm sure you'll be reflecting on this for awhile. There is a secret hidden in the middle. Cherish it.

And, get back out there, running around the lake.

:)
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Tue May 08, 2012 5:19 am

Congrats on the marathon! And thank goodness you were ok!!! Both of those things being said, your report really brings out the comradery of running, and is very touching.
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

orleansrunner1962
Jerome Drayton

Postby orleansrunner1962 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:29 am

WOW Susan -- what a "full" day you had..... you really got your $$ worth and tapped into ALL the marathon resources :D I am really glad you are OK!!

At the very onset of my running journey, it struck me how incredibly friendly, supportive and helpful the running community is, and this is just one more example. I am glad Marc (and his entourage) were there with you and reacted quickly to get you medical attention.

Take care, rest up and enjoy the rest of your summer!!
2014:
Mar - Around the Bay 30 km - Done
May - Sulphur Spring 100 miler - DNS
Sept - Army HM
Sept/Oct - 50 miler
Oct - Pace Bunny - Toronto Scotia Waterfront
Dec - Reggae Marathon in Jamaica

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Tue May 08, 2012 6:01 am

You know how I felt about what happened already, and glad that my VTP when we chatted at the M&G and at the airport yesterday ... :wink:

As I mentioned, when hearing about how your race progressed, it appeared to similar to the one that I ran, except for what happened after I crossed the finish line .... hitting the half on pace, then fading there afterwards to absorbing the crowd and energy over the last 1K or so ...

It was great seeing you again in Vancouver, Susan .. and, look forward to seeing you again, my VTP again ... 'til then, run happy and keep that love and passion that you have for your running with a smile on your face .... 8)
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

fingerboy
Bill Crothers

Postby fingerboy » Tue May 08, 2012 6:18 am

Wow, quite the adventure. Glad your okay and great job on completing it!

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Tue May 08, 2012 6:34 am

Wow, that sounds like quite the marathon adventure! glad to hear you are ok. Congrats on finishing with a very respectable time.
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Tue May 08, 2012 6:54 am

That must have been very scary. Glad you are OK and that a new friend was there to help.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Tue May 08, 2012 6:56 am

Wow....you had quite the day!
Really happy that you had Marc and random strangers help you, along with the paramedics. Umm...btw...were they cute :wink: :wink:

Being a detective wanna be I checked for results of people named Marc. There were only a handful. Was your angel a young guy (named Marcus)...from Bellingham...who ran it in 3:59 and change?

Please...don't repeat this ever again!!! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

Mid_Packer
Bruce Kidd

Postby Mid_Packer » Tue May 08, 2012 7:09 am

Susan, sounds like quite a day. I have the same problem of light headedness after stopping so I can relate. In you case you already fully stressed from 26 miles so it can add up quickly. Glad you made it through withou the exra trip to the hospital.

dave
'10 ATB 2:27, Boston 3:43, Missga 3:42, Sulphur Spring 25k, Niagara 50, ITT,Toad 50, Marine Corp M,
09 Chilly 1:43; ATB 2:37, Boston 3:50, Missuga Mara 3:49, Run for Toad 25k 2:22, Oakville half 1:51, Detroit 3:45
'08 Chilly 1:42; ATB 2:31; Miss Mara 3:43, Westover, Erie (DNF), Detroit 3:36
'07 Chilly 1:45, Detroit 3:50
'92-93 Half 1:27; Detroit 3:10, Boston 3:56

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue May 08, 2012 7:18 am

Wow Susan! Sounds like a scary day!! Glad you made it out the other side ok!!
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue May 08, 2012 7:24 am

Wow what a crazy adventure at your race. So glad you are ok! And congrats on marathon #5!

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:27 am

I did not hear the story of Marc so it was really neat to read it although not neat to read about the ambulance!

Here is what I like:

You had an amazing training cycle and trained with no regrets
You raced a brave race, you went out seeking a goal and even though it felt hard, you tried to achieve it.
You still after your finish, could see the beauty and achievement of being able to run a marathon even if the clock didn't say what you wanted.
You still celebrated with the rest of us and enjoyed the post race festivities (which I'm not sure I could have done)

As a proud member of th ALWTmRC I congratulate you on a gutsy marathon that was well supported from a guy named Marc who obviously should be a maniac!

S5
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Tue May 08, 2012 7:40 am

This brought a little tear to my eye. It is so important to help other people!

I am glad to hear you are okay.

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue May 08, 2012 7:49 am

Definitely an adventure that's for sure! Congrats on finishing the race, you did great! Glad you are ok...

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue May 08, 2012 7:56 am

Wait a second...you turned down the fire truck without having a look at the firefighters first?? :naughty:

Congrats on another marathon finish and a great positive attitude even though the day wasn't what you had hoped for. However any day that includes lunch with maniacs can be a good day.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue May 08, 2012 8:04 am

:ymhug:

Don't scare me like that.

I'm soooo glad you are OK.

If you wanted an adventure, you sure got it ;)
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:17 am

What a day indeed!

Marc truly does sound like a running angel! I know you were shy about the fuss, but we are all thankful for it here - now we know you are OK!

It did sound like a FANTASTIC weekend! And really - despite everything - you finished another strong marathon.

Oh... best part is (Like Boston for me) - the races with the finish times we are the least happy with often have the BEST stories! You'll be telling this one for a while, I'm sure! :lol: :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Tue May 08, 2012 8:18 am

I didn't know about any of the scarey stuff untill after it was all over, so now I'm scared retroactively! I'm so happy you came through OK and with a decent time, nevertheless. And thank goodness for Marc--he should definately be a Maniac. Congratulations, Habs, you ran a race to be proud of!
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 am

Jo-Jo wrote:Wow....you had quite the day!
Really happy that you had Marc and random strangers help you, along with the paramedics. Umm...btw...were they cute :wink: :wink:

Being a detective wanna be I checked for results of people named Marc. There were only a handful. Was your angel a young guy (named Marcus)...from Bellingham...who ran it in 3:59 and change?

Please...don't repeat this ever again!!! :D

Yes, Jo-Jo, the one young paramedic was cute, the older one handsome.
No. Marc is from Calgary. He finished in 4:09:xx

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 am

Wow- great to see it all in writing here although we already chatted about most of this. We were worried about you but not too worried since we had seen you finish, but eventually we knew you must have gone to medical. Glad it was all manageable and you got good care, even with the fire trucks!

There's a lot you'll take away from this experience even though it wasn't the marathon you trained for. I love your attitude and it helped me a lot. :)

It was great to spend more time with you this weekend. Not sure when the next time will be but I think I need to go that direction one day. Bonneville 5-miler? :)
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 08, 2012 9:02 am

IronColl wrote:Wait a second...you turned down the fire truck without having a look at the firefighters first?? :naughty:

I did sneak a look......they were good looking. :D

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 am

Jwolf wrote:Wow- great to see it all in writing here although we already chatted about most of this. We were worried about you but not too worried since we had seen you finish, but eventually we knew you must have gone to medical. Glad it was all manageable and you got good care, even with the fire trucks!

There's a lot you'll take away from this experience even though it wasn't the marathon you trained for. I love your attitude and it helped me a lot. :)

It was great to spend more time with you this weekend. Not sure when the next time will be but I think I need to go that direction one day. Bonneville 5-miler? :)

Thanks again for everything Jennifer.

Yes, of course....First Annual (unofficial) Bonnyville 5-Miler.

Return to “Run/Race Reports”