Half-Mary's Vancouver Half 2012

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Tue May 08, 2012 1:43 am

Last October, I ran the Victoria half-marathon and thought I'd finish in 2:06 or 2:07. I finished in 2:02:15. In December, I ran the Las Vegas half-marathon and finished in 2:01:20. (For some reason, up until I just checked this info, I thought I was slower in Vegas than in Victoria.) I was aiming for a sub-2 in Vegas because I felt so good after Victoria that I thought I had it in me. I might have if the race were better organized with better corrals and a proper wave start. Anyway... those are old complaints.

This winter/spring, I signed up for the Island Race Series again (a race every second week, starting in January, 8 races in total, ranging from 5km to 21.1km. I skipped a 10k and the half-marathon) and I ran 6 of the 8 races. I had PBs in 5 of those races, some of them quite significant. Based on my faster paces, I thought I was capable of a sub-2 half-marathon and maybe even 1:57 or so. Mike (aka Turd Ferguson) volunteered to pace me to a sub-2 and to get me across the finish line in time to meet my goal, even if it meant throwing me over his shoulder and carrying me across. Thankfully, it didn't come to that! :lol:

I left Victoria on Friday morning and met Running Goddess on the ferry and we headed downtown to the expo and then to lunch. I spent the afternoon with Holly before heading to Jennifer's for the M&G. It was a fun day, and it was great to reconnect with previously met Maniacs and to meet new Maniacs. Jen - thanks again for hosting us all! :D

On Saturday, I spent the day with deerdree and we covered a lot of ground, all on foot. We got tired at one point and sat on a display couch in Sears for 30 minutes just chatting. :lol: We had Thai food for lunch, and spent a great amount of time in Safeway (no pancake mix was purchased) and we also went to the Expo to get Krista and Carla's race kits - not all in that order. It was another great day, although it probably wasn't that smart of me to spend so much of it walking around. I ended up with a small blister under my little toe on my right foot while wearing the running shoes I was going to be wearing the next day for the race. It was all worth it though as I had a great day with deerdree. Due to the lack of transportation from North Vancouver, where I had spent Friday night, I needed a place closer to the race on Saturday night. Running Goddess kindly offered to share her hotel room with me. She was upgraded to a two bedroom suite so I actually ended up with my own bedroom! Thanks again for letting me stay with you! :D

On Sunday morning, I woke up at the butt-crack of dawn and had some fruit and half a bagel with PB for breakfast, along with two tiny cups of lukewarm coffee. I got ready for the race and was out the door and heading to the skytrain at 5:50am. I was greeted to a lovely sunrise while waiting for the skytrain to arrive. I headed down to the starting area and met up with Mike after a visit to the porta-potty. While checking my bag, Hammie spotted me and we chatted for a moment. It's always great to see familiar faces before the race. Mike and I sat down on a curb and just hung out for awhile and JWolf found us and we all chatted for a moment. I cracked open the free oatmeal bar that was in our race kit and ate half of that and threw out the rest. It wasn't good and is not something I'll ever choose to buy. Mike and I then lined up in what I think was Corral 1, but was the second corral to go. Did the Elites get their own wave? Anyway, we were pretty close to the front, and I think we placed ourselves pretty well. I ran into a friend from Victoria in the corral and chatted with her for awhile. She got a few feet ahead of me when we shuffled forward so we didn't run together.

Mike and I set off and started running. Despite the race starting with a bit of an uphill, I didn't really notice it. I was caught up in the excitement of a beautiful morning and the buzz of the crowd. The race soon headed downhill and I didn't find this too bad. I thought I would have a harder time holding my pace back than I did. Mike and I had mentioned aiming for 5:30/km but I figured we'd be a bit ahead of that on the downhills but would slow down on the flat. Around 4.5k, a man running near us commented that we were almost at the 5km mark. I couldn't believe it! I hadn't been paying attention and I only thought we were around 2.5km. Time was just flying by and I was feeling good.

We continued running on, always ahead of our 5:30/km goal. Km 6 was a bit slower, and I think that was the first water station that I ran through and grabbed some water. I mostly kept pace and didn't stop to walk. We kept running, while enjoying the perfect weather conditions. It was bright out, but not completely sunny, there was no wind, and the temperature was just right for the outfit I chose. We ran past a huge sign that said "Alix, we're pregnant!". Lots of comments were made about whether or not Alix would be happy to read this announcement while running by. :lol: I ran through a water station after we saw that sign and tried to get some water. The guy I should have grabbed the water from was about 6'5" and was holding his water up, instead of holding it out at a natural height. I missed grabbing the cup because it was so high up, and I knocked the cup out of his hand. I might have knocked the water all over him, but I'm not sure. I managed to get a cup of water from a volunteer a few metres past him.

After this, we headed into the park. Mike stopped for a porta-potty visit and managed to catch up to me after running a very fast km. While I was running alone, I saw a couple of friends from Victoria and called out to them. Everybody looked to be having good races. Mike and I kept running together, although I was getting up the hills a bit faster than he was, but he would then catch up to me. Around the 15km mark we agreed to finish the race on own and that we didn't need to find each other if we got split up. Around 16.5km (I think) I got ahead of Mike and just continued running on my own. I was still feeling good and was enjoying the scenery and the views and the great course. At about the 18km mark, I could see my friend up ahead and I called out her name. She waved and gave a thumbs-up and kept running. I was starting to get tired at this point, but seeing her gave me something to focus on, and I just kept my eye on her purple shirt and kept running. I eventually caught up to her around the 19.5km mark, and we chatted briefly. She got ahead of me by a few feet as somebody got in front of me and slowed down a bit, so I lost her as I went around that guy.

I headed for the finish line without looking at my watch too much, so I had no idea how many metres I had left. I knew I was in the last half-km, but I had no idea just how close the finish line was. I had only been looking at the pace on my watch and had no idea where I was time-wise. I only knew that I was going to make my sub-2 goal because my km splits were fast enough for that. All of a sudden, we turned a corner, and the finish line was right there! I sprinted over the line and managed to just zip past my friend. We had a few photos taken of us together, and some separate, and then we got our food and headed our separate ways. I was wandering in the direction of the gear check when Jen spotted me and called my name. We chatted for a bit and then I spotted Mike. We eventually wandered into the gear check (horrible lack of organization in that area!) and Carla found us in there. We chatted a bit longer and then headed off for showers and coffee with plans to meet up and cheer at various other spots.

Overall, it was a great race! Running with Mike was fun, and having company always makes the time go by faster! Everything came together and I felt good the whole way. The legs did get heavy and tired at the end, but nothing hurt more than anything else except the blister on my little toe. When I looked at it later, I realized that my blister had a blister.

The rest of the day was great and I really enjoyed myself at the meet and greet - other than the two flights of stair to the washroom! :roll: :lol: It was great to get together with (almost) everybody and to have a couple of beer and a big meal. I'm already looking forward to next year!

phew - that as a long race report. :)

Race stats:
Bib # 15151
Overall Place: 2026
Overall Time: 1:57:21
Chip: 1:53:39 (Previous PB: 2:01:20, a difference of 7:41!!!)
Pace: 5:24
Category: Female 30-34
Place: 168/888
Gender Place: 792/5243
10.98km: 0:57:32
10.98-21.1km: 0:56:08

My km splits according to my Garmin info imported into SportTracks:
(Not sure why the km splits aren't really even and why the pace doesn't match the time.)

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Re: Half-Mary's Vancouver Half 2012

Postby HCcD » Tue May 08, 2012 6:21 am

Congrats, on a great race, Mary and a super-duper-smokin' new PB, ta boot .... :dance: :dance: Also, kudos to your PacerTurd, for an excellent job well done .... :P

It was also great to meet you again, over the course of the weekend ... :wink: :oops: :oops:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:18 am

Great race Mary and great seeing you again on the weekend.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Tue May 08, 2012 7:26 am

Congrats on your huge PB!!!

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Tue May 08, 2012 7:47 am

Fantastic result and huge PB! Well done...

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue May 08, 2012 7:50 am

Amazing result! Well done.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:43 am

Wow! That blew that sub-2 goal right out of the water - just by a little bit! :dance: :dance: Congratulations Mary! What a well paced, well executed race!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Tue May 08, 2012 8:53 am

Way to go Mary. So very happy you got a brand new HUGE PB. :D
It was great to see you again, :D even though we didn't get to talk too much. :(

See you sometime in Lethbrdige. :lol:
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Hammie
Jerome Drayton

Postby Hammie » Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 am

Great job on the huge new PB! It was very nice to see you again.
2014: the year of new awesomeness!
Rogers Insurance Run for L'Arche Half March 22 - done
Calgary Marathon Wild Rose 50k June 1 - done
Stampede Road Race 5k July 6 - done
Magrath sprint tri July 12 - done!!
Jog for the Bog 10k July 27 - done
Seawheeze Half Marathon August 23 - done
Subaru Banff Sprint Triathlon September 6 - done
Blitz Duathlon September 21 - registered
Portland Marathon October 5 - registered

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Tue May 08, 2012 9:24 am

Way to go Mary! That's awesome!! :dance:
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Tue May 08, 2012 9:39 am

Mary this report makes me :D :D :D :D

Congratulations to you girl! You smashed that 2:00:xx mark. Well done.

Great to see you again on Friday.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 08, 2012 11:03 am

Way to smash that PB. :) It was great to talk to you after about it and then read the details here. I'm glad we got to spend more time together this weekend.

You forgot the part about how you said you had a "six-minute PB." "Um, honey- that's eight minutes!" :)

Hope the post-race soreness is almost gone. Looking forward to seeing you again.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Tue May 08, 2012 12:36 pm

awesome awesome awesome!!!!! congrats!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

IronGoddess
Jerome Drayton

Postby IronGoddess » Tue May 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Well done. Must have been that good night sleep the night before :wink: :wink:
IMC 2015

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Tue May 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Just looking at your splits again and it seems you really poured it on after you left Mike behind. That's very impressive-- looks like his pacing job held you back in the first 15K. :) You averaged about 5:11/km for the last 6K of the race. I see faster times in the future for you.

And thanks again for the help after the race.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

LisaB
Bill Crothers

Postby LisaB » Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Amazing PB!! Congrats!!
Lisa
2012:
Resolution Run - 5km - done
Hypothermic Half - done
WPS Half Marathon - done
5km & Fargo Marathon - done - done
Air Force 5km - done
Manitoba Half Marathon - done
Try a Trail 6km - done
Lockport Half Marathon - done
Winnipeg 10/10 - 10km
Fire & Paramedic Half Marathon

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Nice splits statistics .... congrats on your performance !!
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

Size5
Lynn Williams

Postby Size5 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:07 am

Jwolf wrote:Way to smash that PB. :) It was great to talk to you after about it and then read the details here. I'm glad we got to spend more time together this weekend.

You forgot the part about how you said you had a "six-minute PB." "Um, honey- that's eight minutes!" :)

If only I had been there to hear this hilarious discussion.

Great race result! Nice to see you this weekend?
Vancouver 2012 Done!
Considering CIM 2012

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Wed May 09, 2012 7:31 am

Awesome! Just awesome!!

Congratulations to you!! That's wonderful :D

Dare I ask what's next? ;)
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Wed May 09, 2012 10:11 am

congrats on your race Mary!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

Half-Mary
Jerome Drayton

Postby Half-Mary » Wed May 09, 2012 11:44 am

Miss*Smiles wrote:Awesome! Just awesome!!

Congratulations to you!! That's wonderful :D

Dare I ask what's next? ;)

Up next, is the Rock 'n Roll half-marathon in Portland, Oregon on May 20th (a week and a half away :shock: ) and on June 3rd, a local 10k race. After that, I'm done racing until October when I'll run another half-marathon. In 2013, I might tackle the full marathon again and see if I can actually get across the finish line this time.

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Wed May 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Nice picture.
You're so cute. :)!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

RobW
Bill Crothers

Postby RobW » Wed May 09, 2012 9:54 pm

Nicely done getting that PB. Awesome!

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Fri May 11, 2012 10:26 am

Nicely done Mary and a PB by 7:41 to boot, simply amazing! And well done on pacing Mike to his finish too. :lol: :lol:

It was great to meet up with you over the weekend at the various M&G’s and on course. Seeing you guys at the 30K and near the finish of my race help put a little kick in my stride. I look forward to when our paths will cross again.

Good Luck in Portland, you’ll do awesome and I am looking forward to reading that report.

Half-Mary wrote:The rest of the day was great and I really enjoyed myself at the meet and greet - other than the two flights of stair to the washroom! :roll: :lol:

I felt your pain there too! Funny how it took two trips to the washroom to find the main leave handicap washroom. D’ho!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Fri May 11, 2012 11:29 am

Great job on the race, Mary! Sounds like it was a great weekend overall!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Return to “Run/Race Reports”