Stampie's first ever Marathon @ BMO Vancouver

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu May 10, 2012 2:29 am

Sorry for the delay, but as you read, you will likely understand. Grab a coffee or a drink and sit down, this could be a long one, but I want to try and capture how my first attempt at a marathon and how it went for me.

As many of you know, I started running just about a year and a half ago. Back in January 2011 I signed up for a Vancouver Sun Run clinic and it was there that I got hooked and also meet Marymac. I had a few races after that, I built on my success and I quickly realized that I needed to challenge myself further. I had my sights on the BMO Vancouver half, but after the announced course change I decided to give the full a try. That way I would try to get a half in beforehand, either the First Half in February or the April Fools half in April on the Sunshine Coast. To help me achieve this goal I joined forces with Team in Training, I got training assistance, a schedule and use of a coach; in return I had to guarantee a minimum amount to fundraise for. I ran my 1st half in February here in Vancouver at the ‘First Half’ Half Marathon and I felt I had a good run for a debut.

So fast forward to last week, up to then my training went great. I felt confident in my training and that I could complete my first marathon. Yes I had a few speed bumps along the way, but I feel they only made me stronger and helped me push myself beyond my comfort zone. Leading up to the race I was feeling fine, taper madness was in effect for me, my sleep pattern was slightly messed up. I meet up with Andy on Thursday night for a pint and then meet other maniacs on Friday at the expo and at Jennifer’s place in the evening for our M&G. I remember on Friday Cheryl (aka: chunkymonkeymelonhead, r4l) asking me if I felt nervous and I honestly replied I was not nervous for the race, I was confident in my training, I was only nervous in anticipation in not knowing what to expect during the race as I had nothing to gauge on. Saturday I went to my TnT Inspiration dinner and meet up with my coach who was quick to comment on how clam I looked the day before my big race. It was true I felt comfortable, I was looking forward to this race and what it had in store for me. I was put up for the night at the Sheraton Wall Centre and I had a restless sleep, I seemed to wake up every hour on the hour, but I did wake up feeling well rested and that was the key.

So 5:00am had come along and my roommate was finalizing his stuff for his race at 7am, while I was waking up. I took a quick shower to freshen up and then off I went to Tim Horton’s for my breakfast; the usual, a bowl of oatmeal. I got my gear in order, checked out of my room, checked my baggage at the front desk and then I met my team for our 6:15am meeting. A team photo was taken and off to the start we went.
Team photo – My coach (Albert) for the Vancouver Spring Team behind me on the far right. Coach Nathan (the Vancouver Summer team) in the front row and coach Rhonda in the back (Fraser Valley Spring team).

ImageSorry this one got cut out, but copy & paste the URL and check it out on FB

We watched the Half start and I saw a few TnTer’s from my team head out and gave a high-five to Turd as he started off in his race (Sorry Half-Mary but I did not see you :( ). After that we head off to the start line. I parted ways with my coach and got a last minute pep talk from him, stick to the plan that worked in training and I’ll do great. I found my corral and check my bag, did my pre race pre and then walked around to find my friend Rhonda (my TnT mentor) who was going to run with her sister Karen (R & K) and I. We quickly meet up, got acquainted and prepped for the race. Minutes from the start I could here my name being yield out, and to my surprise Cheryl was draped out in RM gear. I gave her a pre-race hung and said I would look for her on course. We heard the race start and the elites were off. It took another 15min before R K & I crossed the line. I set my watch and off we went. The pace was nice and easy and we quickly got into a groove. I resisted the urge to push out fast, I knew I needed my strength for later on and I would be happy with that decision later on, you see. We weaved along on Cambie and the next thing I knew we hit the 1 mile mark & a water stand. My goal was to drink water at each water station and take a gel the 3, 6,9 etc mile mark (aprox. every 30min). The second Cheryl sighting was at Cambie & 49th. We hit the 5K mark at about 29min, I was feeling good and not tired. We were right on pace, maybe a little fast, but on pace. Then came my first test at 9K and Camosun Street, in my mind I knew I owned this hill and I would do the same. We took our walk break just before and then started to the trek up.
Heading up Camosun Street hill with Rhonda at my side, Karen was behind us.

I pushed way from R & K with the plan to re-unite at the top. Just before the water station the 3rd Cheryl sighting was made and that just lifted my spirits. I had my second gel and quickly washed it down with water. To my surprise, R & K kept up with me, we ourselves a high-five to each other and off we went again. At the 10K mark we were at 61min, we were slightly ahead of pace, but still felt strong.

We meandered thru Pacific Spirit Park and on into UBC. We hit the washroom at the entrance to wreck beach and continued on our way. Just before that we hit the 15K mark at 1:32 and still feeling good. Then we hit the part of the run we were looking forward to, the downhill to Spanish banks and Jericho Beach. We picked up time and were still feeling strong. We banked time, knowing it would come in hand later. We then hit the half mark and my watch was saying 2:11:xx, right on target, actually about 7min ahead of the 4:30 goal. No I must point out that the 4:30 Pace bunny was not too far behind us, so they were right off and the 4:15 bunny was immediately in front of us. WTF??? We started our way out of Jericho Beach and this was the 4th and final Cheryl sighting of the day. Thanks Cheryl, you really lifted my spirits and had me eagerly looking for you in the 1st half. R & K commented on her enthusiasm and felt energized also.

Heading into Kits Beach

We started to work our way to Kit beach, we hit the 16mile water station that was being worked by TnT Volunteers. They gave us an added push and the next thing I new we were at Kits beach. The crowds started to get bigger and that was now energizing us. We fuelled up at 27k and took another water break just before headed out on to our second test, the Burrard Street Bridge. Again I owned that too. R, K & I hit it hard & fast. We wanted to get it over and hit the downhill.
Rhonda & I heading up Burrard street Bridge

The downhill was great, we hit the 30K mark & I was still feeling strong. In my head I knew I only had 12K go and I knew I could do this. I heard deerdree call my name with Turd & Half-Mary along for the ride too. I said a quick hi and off I went again. We then transitioned to the seawall and into Stanley Park we came. At the 20mile mark we took in water and I then had to get some rocks out of my shoe that were now bugging me. R & K pushed on and I said I would catch up. I trudged along never loosing them from my sight. It took me almost 2miles to catch up, but it was short lived. I desperately needed a walk break and they were coming off one. Deep down I knew I was on my own, but I hoped that I would catch up. That never did, but I did push on. I took a much needed water break at about 37K since the last station was out. I went thru Brockton point and I could see Canada Place at this point. Less then 5K Bryan, you got this! I had a jump in my pace and it would catch up to me. I never hit the wall at 32K as some have talked about, I hit just before I hit the 24mile marker. I took water, which was not helping. I had one more gel, but I could not force myself to take it. I went to the washroom end that seemed to help calm me, I picked up and off I went. I knew that the 10 and 1 was more like 3 and 1’s, but I was determined to finish this race however I could.

The final stretch, we exited Stanley Park for the home stretch. I meet up with Coach Rhonda from the Fraser Valley team and she pushed me to Georgia Street and encouraged me onwards. I took a walk on Georgia and on into Pender, the final stretch. It was here that I meet the TnT Coach from Seattle and he motivated me to the end. He said I looked strong, but tell I was struggling and he was right! He got me running again and reminded me why I was doing this. I brought me up to Bute Street and said he could not help; it was up to me now he said. I pushed along and it did not take long figure out what he meant. Once I hit Bute, the chute was prepared and the crowds were big and cheering. That alone picked me up and I pushed on. Just before the turn on to Burrard Street, I saw Jwolf, Turd, Half-Mary and Deerdree (sorry if I missed any one). I missed my parents around that point also. I pushed on and then turned on to Hastings, the final stretch. I could see the finish, so I dug deep and pressed to the finish. It was at about 100m I saw my wife and kids. I crossed the finish and pumped my fist, I DID IT!!!
After checking in at the TnT Tent after finishing the race.

I meet up with Turd & Half-Mary on the way to check-in with TnT and then saw CinC , Size5 and Deerdree.
Moments after the race, found some maniacs and calling my DW

I want to give a special thanks to Mike for being there to see me finish my first marathon and for being my Sherpa at the end. I felt good after the race, but I knew that once my emotions were in check my body would hurt and that was a given! I was happy with the race and my time. I felt I ran a steady race and once Deerdree announce my official time, I knew I did. I would also like to give a special thanks to Jwolf & HCcD for all there guidance, wisdom and honest input during my training, you may not understand to what extent it helped me, but sincere heartfelt thank you is in order!

So here are the details:
Overall: 2639
Age Group (45-49): 241/318
Time: 4:30:07 PB!
Average Pace: 6:25/K
First Half: 2:11:00
Second Half: 2:19:07

And finally, here is a video my FIL posted on FB of me finishing.
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=3626461773525

Thanks for taking the time to endure my report, give me support and guidance. RM nation is the best!!!
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Re: Stampie's first ever Marathon @ BMO Vancouver

Postby Stampie » Thu May 10, 2012 2:32 am

I feel asleep after putting my kids down for the night, so I take no responsibility for error, grammar (*Smiles & La :lol: ) or the way it flows. I'm too tired to re-read for a 3rd time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone!!!
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Thu May 10, 2012 4:18 am

Thanks Stampie. That is a great report and so well photographed!

Congrats on your first marathon.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Thu May 10, 2012 5:36 am

Great job, Stampie!
You are a marathoner! How exciting is that??? :D
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 10, 2012 6:26 am

Congratulations, Bryan, You Are A MARATHONER !!! :dance: :dance:

It was great to follow your journey over the past several months ... Way-da-Go to plan your race, and race your plan ... and, coming in within seconds of your goal time ... woohoo ...

Now, tell the truth, is finishing a Marathon easier than childbirth ??? :shifty: :shock: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Thu May 10, 2012 6:54 am

Great report.
You sound so happy...as you should be! :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

RA.
Kevin Sullivan

Postby RA. » Thu May 10, 2012 7:15 am

Congratulations! That was a great report! The first marathon race reports are always my favorite! I didn't realize you only started running last year! Way to go!
Life is short. Stop whining!!- Jwolf

Sandra
Bill Crothers

Postby Sandra » Thu May 10, 2012 7:22 am

Loved reading your journey to your first marathon. congratulations on completing your first marathon and on a great time!
Sandra
"Appreciate what you got and chill when things seem overwhelming."

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Thu May 10, 2012 7:30 am

stampie wrote:I feel asleep after putting my kids down for the night, so I take no responsibility for error, grammar (*Smiles & La :lol: ) or the way it flows. I'm too tired to re-read for a 3rd time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks everyone!!!

;)) I was going to post this (but you beat me to it with your post above) --
You ran a solid race, good for you for digging deep and getting it done at the 4:30:xx you wanted :dance:
I am so excited and happy and proud that I will forgive any grammatical errors ;)

Seriously though, you are a MARATHONER!!!!
^:)^ :-BD \M/

Congratulations Stampie :D
....when's the next one?
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Thu May 10, 2012 7:44 am

Way to go Stampie!! Welcome to the club :D
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:53 am

Awww Stampie!

What a fantastic journey you have been on, and ending just as you planned! Congratulations for a great race AND for raising money for a good cause!

Love the pics too! :clap: :clap:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

LisaB
Bill Crothers

Postby LisaB » Thu May 10, 2012 7:56 am

Congratulations Marathoner!! Loved your RR!
Lisa
2012:
Resolution Run - 5km - done
Hypothermic Half - done
WPS Half Marathon - done
5km & Fargo Marathon - done - done
Air Force 5km - done
Manitoba Half Marathon - done
Try a Trail 6km - done
Lockport Half Marathon - done
Winnipeg 10/10 - 10km
Fire & Paramedic Half Marathon

n_fraser
Tom Longboat

Postby n_fraser » Thu May 10, 2012 7:58 am

This brought a little tear to my eye! Amazing job. I hope you are still getting some much deserved rest.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Thu May 10, 2012 8:00 am

awesome! it has been so great to follow along with your training for this journey. congratulations on your training, your fundraising and your fabulous debut marathon!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

Tori
Jerome Drayton

Postby Tori » Thu May 10, 2012 8:15 am

Congrats on your first marathon! You did great!!!

marymac442
Jerome Drayton

Postby marymac442 » Thu May 10, 2012 8:19 am

Congratulations on a great race, I never doubted you for a minute.
Bonsor Breakfast Club
"It's All About the Food

2019 plans - Sun Run Clinic (as usual), make it past tax season with sanity intact, start training, Chicago Marathon !!!

Habs4ever
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Habs4ever » Thu May 10, 2012 8:32 am

Yay Bryan! I was so excited to hear you met your goal time. :dance:
You are a MARATHONER!
I wanna live like there's no tomorrow
Love, like I'm on borrowed time
It's good to be alive, yeah....Jason Gray

Running is a conversation with your body. Sometimes you listen and sometimes you tell it to stop whining and do something. - Ian

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Thu May 10, 2012 9:04 am

Great great job!

As I mentioned in my PM to you, I'm glad that you hit the wall and pushed through it. :)
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Thu May 10, 2012 9:08 am

Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu May 10, 2012 9:23 am

I haven't finished reading yet but this cracked me up!!! I think my husband wants a word with you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stampie wrote:. I gave her a pre-race hung and said I would look for her on course.
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

chunkymonkeymelonhed
Lynn Williams

Postby chunkymonkeymelonhed » Thu May 10, 2012 9:33 am

Ok this report was worth the wait!

I can "hear" the happiness and sense of accomplishment in your words. The pictures are great too!

In all honesty you looked really really strong in that first half. I don't want to say that you made it look effortless because I know you were working hard but you looked like you were in control of your race, the race wasn't in control of you. Even on Camosun- many people were struggling hard on that hill but you were killing it- really.

Such an honour to be out there cheering you on your first full. My only regret is that I was not able to see you (and our other Maniacs) at the finish line. I would have loved to pop up a few more times in the second half of the race.

CONGRATULATIONS MARATHONER! Be so very proud of what you did out there- bang on goal time, nicely done. I look forward to seeing what you do with this distance in the future (yes you will be running more!).

26.2 because 26.3 would be crazy!! YAY STAMPIE.

ps- I didn't think that you looked like a "clam" at all at the start :wink: ( I know, I know, it was late and you were tired)
On the books for 2017:
50th Birthday!!
Boston Marathon- April 17th what a day- DREAM COME TRUE :dance:
Run for Water 10K- May 28th
Scotia Half - June 25th
Trail River Run half marathon- Sept. 30- CANCELLED
MEC 10K Race 10- Nov. 5

CinC
Lynn Williams

Postby CinC » Thu May 10, 2012 9:35 am

wuhooooooo Stampie!!

Congrats again! Great to actually meet you on Sunday and I'm so happy you had a great race!
Race Hard. Race Happy.

AlfiefromPickering
Bill Crothers

Postby AlfiefromPickering » Thu May 10, 2012 9:53 am

Nice and detailed report. Greetings on your first marathon.
I am in love with the President of Argentina .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhf5iInIWEs mamacita preciosa
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZ39iEw80M. She is 63 is 2016.... meaning 10 years older than I. I guess I'm into mature girls .....

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Thu May 10, 2012 10:00 am

Nice work, Bryan Marathoner! It's was fun following your journey and your RR was so enjoyable. I really liked the pics and you looked so great in them! That's an impressive debut marathon time and as someone with an aunt battling lymphoma, I thank you for fund-raising for TnT and running for a reason. Congrats!

So.....are you coming to Ottawa for the Marathon? It's not sold out yet! :lol: :wink:
Carm

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Thu May 10, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words and thoughts, it means a lot to me. Maniac nation is the best and also deserves a thank-you too; it’s the maniacs that also helped me through my training to get to this point.

marymac442 wrote:Congratulations on a great race, I never doubted you for a minute.

Reading your post Mary and I just realized that I did not personally thank you for your contribution to my training. Your guidance and help was a great help; pushing me on some of our runs was a benefit to both of us and I look forward to reciprocating as your train for San Fan in October. We’re TnT Alumni now!

Miss*Smiles wrote:Congratulations Stampie :D
....when's the next one?

I’m never going to say never, but my next marathon may be a while. This training cycle took a lot of time commitment, time away from my family on weekends. I owe a great amount of gratitude to my DW for supporting me in this endeavour; the kids were troopers and pre-warned that Daddy might not look so hot after the race.

n_fraser wrote:This brought a little tear to my eye! Amazing job. I hope you are still getting some much deserved rest.

This is only a snip-it of what is ahead of you in the coming months Natalie; as your being your journey with Team in Training and your quest to complete your first marathon. Embrace the moment and cherish it, it is certainly one of those enjoyable life moments. Good luck as you prepare for San Fan in October.

Irongirl wrote:As I mentioned in my PM to you, I'm glad that you hit the wall and pushed through it. :)

Thanks Kiza, your 1st marathon RR helped me to understand what to expect on course.

chunkymonkeymelonhed wrote: I look forward to seeing what you do with this distance in the future (yes you will be running more!).

26.2 because 26.3 would be crazy!!

Thanks cheryl for being out there and support the maniac’s on course! You’re right, I will be doing another one of these beast, I'm just not sure when.

carm wrote:So.....are you coming to Ottawa for the Marathon? It's not sold out yet! :lol: :wink:

So did Andy put you up to this? :lol: :lol:
I will have to put Ottawa on the race map for the future, I have relatives that I can stay with, plus there's the whole Ottawa maniac nation out there to fall upon.

What is up for 2018
TBA
Planning & in my sights

Return to “Run/Race Reports”