Do you carry 'protection'?

Clothing, accessories, equipment, etc.
erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Re: Do you carry 'protection'?

Postby erinmcd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Well, if MrsMcD and I are going for a run in the woods together...... oh, wait, you weren't talking about that kind of protection....... :oops:
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Jwolf wrote:
phorunner wrote:*looks at left fist*, *looks at right fist*

I think I'm good... :D

Yeah, I think you're ok. :)

I think I'd like to run with YOU as protection. ;)

This little gadget, is kinda kool to have ... http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-3102blk-Defense-Keychain-Kubotan/dp/B001BZURZG

In my case, one of the advantages of running with a running partner, especially when one of them is a Cop, as I usually joke with Beth that she is my personal body guard/protection ... :lol: :wink: :shifty:

Having said that, one of cons with carrying a knife, is that you have to be able to and willing to use it, without hesitation, should you plan to carry one ... and, in a lot of cases, if the perp is able to disarm you, most likely it may end up being used against you ...

The best advice that my Martial Arts Instructor said to the class was, the best defence is to use your feet and run, if you can .. as well as make a lot of noise, like yelling "fire" or carry a whistle, or something similar ...
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:21 pm

:lol: it was the quote signs, I read it the same way

I am gonna say this part once CARRY YOUR ID - NAME, BIRTHDAY, ADDRESS, HEALTH CARD

If ambulance gotta pick you up, you need it.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:24 pm

erinmcd wrote:Well, if MrsMcD and I are going for a run in the woods together...... oh, wait, you weren't talking about that kind of protection....... :oops:

don't you have 3-4 kids? :)
"You're an ultrarunner, normal rules don't apply to you." (Doonst)

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:25 pm

toobusy wrote::lol: it was the quote signs, I read it the same way

I am gonna say this part once CARRY YOUR ID - NAME, BIRTHDAY, ADDRESS, HEALTH CARD

Drivers licence covers most of that. I wouldn't carry my health card. The one time I needed medical attention while on a run, they were able to look up my info through my licence.

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do. ~Epictetus

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:26 pm

HCcD wrote:The best advice that my Martial Arts Instructor said to the class was, the best defence is to use your feet and run, if you can...

Excellent idea. I'll see if I can talk my assailant into doing 10-and-1s. "DON'T GO OUT TOO FAST!!!!! PACE YOURSELF!!!!!"
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

trixiee
Lynn Williams

Postby trixiee » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:28 pm

Would a laminated photocopy of your health card work? I would like to stick that in my bento box...

When I ran, I carried pepper spray. If I bike in new areas, I will also carry it. I do tuck my driver's license and health card in pocket (usually)
http://connect.garmin.com/profile/trixiee14

Why fit in when you were born to stand out?
~ Dr. Suess~
Life is short. Drink the good wine first!

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Postby erinmcd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:28 pm

ultraslacker wrote:
erinmcd wrote:Well, if MrsMcD and I are going for a run in the woods together...... oh, wait, you weren't talking about that kind of protection....... :oops:

don't you have 3-4 kids? :)

4, and that's quite enough.
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

ultraslacker
Site Admin

Postby ultraslacker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:29 pm

trixiee wrote:

Would a laminated photocopy of your health card work? I would like to stick that in my bento box...

When I ran, I carried pepper spray. If I bike in new areas, I will also carry it. I do tuck my driver's license and health card in pocket (usually)

they really just need the number... so you could keep the number somewhere (I sometimes keep stuff like that stored in my phone). I've heard of people putting their health numbers on their Road ID too.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:29 pm

turd ferguson wrote:
HCcD wrote:The best advice that my Martial Arts Instructor said to the class was, the best defence is to use your feet and run, if you can...

Excellent idea. I'll see if I can talk my assailant into doing 10-and-1s. "DON'T GO OUT TOO FAST!!!!! PACE YOURSELF!!!!!"

But, if you can't ... Stick your fingers in their eyes and kick them in the "family jewels" as if you were kicking a 50 yard field goal attempt ... :shock: :lol: :wink:
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:30 pm

ultraslacker wrote:

Drivers licence covers most of that. I wouldn't carry my health card. The one time I needed medical attention while on a run, they were able to look up my info through my licence.

I actually typed that then felt hypocritical 'cause I don't. :oops: I have my road ID with name and phone number - which would net my address but not my DOB.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:37 pm

I wouldn't carry anything that could be used as a weapon against me. Knives and pepper spray fall into that category. I'd rather run in well-populated areas and use my feet and lungs to protect me.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

phorunner
Bruce Kidd

Postby phorunner » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Reminds me of a Koppo Stick - the old school Japanese versions were designed with a ring in the middle so it could be concealed as jewellery by ninjas disguised as Geishas. They even passed a patdown by keeping palms facing away.

HCcD wrote:
Jwolf wrote:
phorunner wrote:*looks at left fist*, *looks at right fist*

I think I'm good... :D

Yeah, I think you're ok. :)

I think I'd like to run with YOU as protection. ;)

This little gadget, is kinda kool to have ... http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-3102blk-Defense-Keychain-Kubotan/dp/B001BZURZG

In my case, one of the advantages of running with a running partner, especially when one of them is a Cop, as I usually joke with Beth that she is my personal body guard/protection ... :lol: :wink: :shifty:

Having said that, one of cons with carrying a knife, is that you have to be able to and willing to use it, without hesitation, should you plan to carry one ... and, in a lot of cases, if the perp is able to disarm you, most likely it may end up being used against you ...

The best advice that my Martial Arts Instructor said to the class was, the best defence is to use your feet and run, if you can .. as well as make a lot of noise, like yelling "fire" or carry a whistle, or something similar ...

2012 Bread and Honey 5k: 27:30
2012 Harry Rosen 8k: 45:20
2012 SL10k: 52:55
2013 Army Run: 1:58:49
2011 Midsummer's Night Run 15k: 1:35:17
2013 ATB 30k - Coming up!
2011 Scotia TWM Full: UGH! I'll post my next one

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:46 pm

La wrote:I wouldn't carry anything that could be used as a weapon against me. Knives and pepper spray fall into that category. I'd rather run in well-populated areas and use my feet and lungs to protect me.

that's a good point. I never thought of it that way but I agree.

Also I would avoid running anywhere alone if I thought I needed some sort of a weapon.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:57 pm

ultraslacker wrote:wow, the only time anyone knows when/where I'm running is when I'm running with people (and then I don't need to tell them! :lol: ). Otherwise, I just go out... I can't imagine telling someone every time I go for a run!

I'm like you.
I live on my own during the week...and never tell anyone I'm heading out for a run.
I do wear my Road ID with contact phone numbers. Mind you...I need to get that updated as my main local contact number is my neighbour's who are now retired and spend months away out of the country...and then summer at the lake.
Hmm...I think I'll ask my dog walker if I can put her number on my ID...as she has a key to my house. Thanks for this reminder :D
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

BJH
Lynn Williams

Postby BJH » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:14 pm

I wear my road ID (usually) and it has my health card number on it. I carry my iphone, TTC fare, a bit of cash and if I'm going out of TTC coverage my credit card. It's very infrequent that I feel uncomfortable running anywhere. Its also infrequent that there aren't others around.

Perhaps the stupidest place I've run was three hours on backwoods wilderness trails in Mammoth Caves National Park, KY. I was on my own. My road ID might have come in handy to identify my decomposing body. In a situation like that I also carry a small first aid kit, with duct tape which can be used to wrap an ankle.

And I read "protection" the same way as erinmcd. :oops:
The road to hell is paved. Run trails.

turd ferguson
Ben Johnson

Postby turd ferguson » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:26 pm

You guys have your health # and contact information on your RoadID's? KEENERS!

All mine says is "please pause my Garmin".
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

Annelizabeth
Bruce Kidd

Postby Annelizabeth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:14 pm

Trust me, the last thing a ER thinks about is a health card number. Something with your name on it is enough.... and if you are from out of area, that doesn't help us so....

Spirit Unleashed
Lynn Williams

Postby Spirit Unleashed » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:32 pm

fit-kitty, unless you are trained to use that knife it is far more likely it will be taken from you and used on you. I learned this in a self defense course.

2 decades or more ago, Runner's World had an article for females. I can't remember it all but #1 was lose the ear phones and #2 run away kick bite scratch even if they have a gun. Just make sure they don't get you in the car. In a women's self defense course, they teach you effective kicking/biting/scratching.

I used to carry pepper spray for dogs; and it worked with the ones I was dealing with. But some dogs just get mad.
Athlete....Maniac 973....Marathon Maniac 6645
Live the most amazing life you can live - La
marathon runners are awesomeness personified - Ian
Bucket list: http://www.tassietrailfest.com.au/
http://ultramonk.blogspot.com/

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Annelizabeth wrote:Trust me, the last thing a ER thinks about is a health card number. Something with your name on it is enough.... and if you are from out of area, that doesn't help us so....

One thing I do if I'm running out of town...(most of my running shorts/skirts/leggings have small pockets) is tuck a piece of paper with the address of where I'm staying...in my case it's mostly my parent's address...a couple times it's been a hotel card when I've been out of town staying at a hotel.
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

purdy65
Abby Hoffman

Postby purdy65 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:00 pm

When I'm just doing my cemetery laps, I take nothing. Long runs I take my phone, a bit of cash, my transit pass and health card. I generally stick to busier areas as well.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...it's the size of the fight in the dog! 11K Marker post - 2010 ATB.

Introducing 2017

GoodLife Half Marathon.
TBD

jgore
Abby Hoffman

Postby jgore » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:04 pm

purdy65 wrote:When I'm just doing my cemetery laps, I take nothing. Long runs I take my phone, a bit of cash, my transit pass and health card. I generally stick to busier areas as well.

A phone, cash, transit pass, and health card are useless against the cemetery zombies anyway.

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:39 pm

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Lightning
Bill Crothers

Postby Lightning » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:46 pm

I do a few things to ensure I am as safe as I can be...

-I always tell my husband my route after hearing about a local runner who fell, hit her head on the ice, and was unconscious for HOURS!!! Nobody knew where she was
-I wear Road ID-my old one did have my healthcard number on it but not this new one
-I do not usually wear headphones...it makes me feel disconnected, and I think one of the best things you can do is be aware of your surroundings
-on long runs, the cell phone comes along (which I hate!!!)

I do think most people are generally good, but we still need to be cautious.

That guy DOES sound creepy! I think listening to your gut is key...if you feel it is a weird situation, then it is!!!
Lightning :)

We're going to try this new thing called jogging. Or maybe it's yogging-with a silent "j". Apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild.

-Ron Burgandy

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:01 pm

The thing about headphones (and I love running with them) is that even if you only wear one ear bud or have the volume turned down low, YOU might think you're aware of your surroundings, but you appear to others/predators that you aren't, thereby making you a more appealing target.

Just sayin'.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Return to “Gearing Up”