Robbie-T @ 5Peaks Terra Cotta Trail Half Marathon

We want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly!
Robbie-T
Jerome Drayton

Robbie-T @ 5Peaks Terra Cotta Trail Half Marathon

Postby Robbie-T » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:23 am

Chasing Flags!

This Half was promoted as one of the toughest of its distance in Ontario this year. It was close to home, much of the course was on the Bruce Trail that I've run a bunch of times. So I decided why not should be a lot of fun and a good challenge. I knew it would be a tough course, many steep climbs, plenty of rocks to skip over, roots, wooden bridges, steps, stream crossings and not many places to just run. But when it poured the night before the race I knew this race would live up to the hype, it would be muddy and slippery and wet too now.

I lined up at the front of the first wave, I wanted to get out quick, I knew the fastest part was the beginning 1km and the final 1km, the rest was all deadly.
I get in the bush close to the front in about 5th, and lead a small group of 4 or so for the first 5km where they would all slip by me including a 13 year old. This kid (Cameron Cira) is a great runner and if he keeps it up we will be hearing more about him, besides he is likely less the half my weight and bouncing through these trails that is a huge advantage. On the steep downhills it was tough, slipping and skidding, I had to save myself a bunch of times, I didn't want to take too many chances and risk hurting myself. Besides I realized that maybe I was going a bit hard for a Half that could take me the better part of 2 hours so I better ease up a bit anyway and let them go.

For the rest race I was on my own, I was pushing hard when I could. The trail was extremely well marked and managed, I had no problem following the course. I find on most trail races the top of steep hills are not marked very well as to where you need to go next but on this course there was no question, hence the motto of the day "Chasing flags". No one around me except for the trail of flags.

The rest of the race went that way, up and down, skip, jump, trip, bump, slip, slid, twist, flip, flop...... repeat, repeat

With about 2 km to go I finally catch up to the kid again, well not really catch up, I just seen him way ahead of me. But at least it gives me some motivation to pick it up a bit for this long final incline and a bit of a kick at the end. He finished about 30s ahead of me.

In the end I was 1:53:45 10th overall and 1st in my age group 40-49

Super fun race and course as usual for the 5Peaks group, tons of free swag at the end. I'd like to race this course on a dry day, it would still be very tough but I'd feel a bit more courageous and take more chances.

Next up Chase the Coyote at Mono Cliffs and 5Peaks Champions Race at Albion Hills
Mississauga Marathon - 2:52
Around the Bay - 1:58
Click>> Race History
ItsMyRun.com

"If I'm running, it will be a good run" - Robbie-T

"I just hope that people look at it and say, 'Hey if this yahoo can do it, then I can do it too.' That'd be cool if people thought that. It's just a matter of putting the miles in and working. It's not so much how much talent you have. I hope." - Brian Sell.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre

erinmcd
Bill Crothers

Re: Robbie-T @ 5Peaks Terra Cotta Trail Half Marathon

Postby erinmcd » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:58 am

Good work Robbie! Sounds like it was a good time!
Keep on rolling, just a mile to go. Keep on rolling my old buddy, you're moving much too slow.

carm
Bill Crothers

Postby carm » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:46 am

Awesome - congrats on the AG win!
Carm

West Grey Runner
Bill Crothers

Postby West Grey Runner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:35 pm

5 Peaks = Fast Times

Adding speed to the Bruce Trail is tricky at the best of times. On a day like that your greatest measure of a successful run is not killing yourself and that 1st in AG is a pretty good indicator too but a 13 year old …come on old man….really :D

Doonst
Abby Hoffman

Postby Doonst » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:15 pm

You sure rocked it Robbie! It takes more than the Bruce Trail to slow you down!

See you at the Coyote.
next up:

This broken wing will fly again
One fine day
This blackbird's mute gonna sing again
One fine day

So all you sinners come out
And all you drunkards crawl out
Come into the light of one fine day

Ken B
Lynn Williams

Postby Ken B » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:14 am

Great race and report Robbie! You continue to tear up these courses!! :)

Robinandamelia
Jerome Drayton

Postby Robinandamelia » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:35 am

Congratulations! You did great!

Sir Crashalot
Abby Hoffman

Postby Sir Crashalot » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Congrats on 1st AG!!!!
:D
Image Fortes Fortuna Juvat!
In support of injured Canadian Forces soldiers, please donate to Soldier On! http://www.cfpsa.com/Splashpages/SoldierOn/
Never really ready but always ready!

Return to “Run/Race Reports”