Report: Lance considering confession

A cozy spot for triathletes and other multi-sporters

RobAllen
Tom Longboat

Re: Report: Lance considering confession

Postby RobAllen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 am

La wrote:I'm still puzzled about the reluctance to talk about what happened in the hospital room. After all the other admissions he made, why not admit to that, too? The only thing I can think of is that he is trying to protect himself from counter-suits or something. He was very reluctant to talk about anyone but himself (wouldn't call anyone a liar, would only say,"That never happened.". And the name Bruyneel never came up once!

The hospital room has many implications. There is talk the doctor testified for LA in the SCA case and most likely has a non-disclosure on both sides for that testimony. The second reason is that Livestrong has given many donations over the years to that hospital - certainly makes sense since that is where he was treated for cancer but if he implicates the situation then a red flag is raised on the foundation.

As for Betsy and the earpiece I saw it as coming loose because she was getting so animated. I don't think she could afford to have a lawyer on retainer for all of the appearances she has made. She certainly does not see this as an admission of anything other than self-serving. Saying nothing happened after 2005 is calculated. My guess is he is hoping to provide real details on real people to USADA/WADA in exchange for a reduction of his lifetime ban retroactive to his last tour win in 2005. If so, and successful, he would be allowed to race again this year. It seems USADA & WADA were not impressed with the admissions last night so it may be a tough sell.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 am

RobAllen wrote:Saying nothing happened after 2005 is calculated. My guess is he is hoping to provide real details on real people to USADA/WADA in exchange for a reduction of his lifetime ban retroactive to his last tour win in 2005. If so, and successful, he would be allowed to race again this year. It seems USADA & WADA were not impressed with the admissions last night so it may be a tough sell.

I think that's it, too. He's trying to cut a deal so that he can race again. But I think I saw a statement from Tygart that said he thought this "confession" was a good start.

I was also intrigued by Lance's statement about how, in retrospect, he should have cooperated with USADA and come clean sooner, thereby (potentially) preserving his sponsorships and his foundation. He said something like, "I should have talked to my family, then called my sponsors, then talked to my foundation, then called USADA." I can't remember the exact wording.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

Engmomma
Abby Hoffman

Postby Engmomma » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:05 pm

La wrote:The only thing I can't quite figure out is WHY he is finally confessing. Why now?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/cycling/story/2013/01/15/sp-lamb-lance-armstrong-oprah-winfrey-admission.html
The Summer of Eng is over.

Double Bellybuster
Bill Crothers

Postby Double Bellybuster » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Only one person liked the airing of the Lance Armstrong interview - Manti Te'o.
I am fortunate to have Running Free as a sponsor. I like to keep silly stats and maps of my Daily Neighbourhood Tours, Races and Marathons run in a Silly Yellow Shirt.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Yeah, I guess the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. :?

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:11 pm

And, the official response from the LIveStrong Foundation ... http://blog.livestrong.org/2013/01/17/official-statement-from-the-livestrong-foundation-2/
Race Results: http://itsmyrun.com/index.php?display=p ... unner=HCiD

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:22 pm

Wonder how Bman is feeling this morning?
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:24 pm

I heard that some Authorized LiveStrong Retailers are having a clear-out sale of their remaining LiveStrong schwag ... fyi ... :shifty: :wink:

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Wu wei wrote:Wonder how Bman is feeling this morning?

LOL....my trolls work well for me, lettin me know when my name was tossed in the fire! I wondered how long was it before a real troll would poke the first stick.

I feel great about what I have always believed in, I feel sad for the sport...I feel worse for those doing a happy dance poking the "I WAS RIGHT" finger at others.......to live such a negative/vengefull life must be truly drainning.

PooWei, just to give you something to do all afternoon as you sit looking for the next thing to pour negativity on, I do not believe you will find a quote of mine where I say he did not dope. I had always hoped that someone who is so ademant about thier inocence is being honest, but much like my career has told me, those are indeed the ones who hold the true lies.

So....Lance fan, not so much after hearing it from LANCE and not all those others who live their lives bashing peeps due to their own shortcomings/ insecurities.

Disapointed, sure am...truly did not want it to be true. Do I put him in the category "just like all the other guys in the tour who were doping but he won it just like they could have...for sure!!!". He DID win 7 after all...and now has proven that they were earned on a level playing field.

This in no way changes my opinion of Livestrong and what they do....my yellowband is still on my wrist.

Lastly, I thought this was well put...not saying I agree with 100% of the quote, but it comes close. Stolen from a buddy of mine. Enjoy.

Ok so here's the thing.... I am not in the majority with my opinion on Lance but here it is.... You take the good with the bad people. It's a dirty sport, period. I don't condone the lies (it just snow balled out of control) but what this guy did was amazing. He competed on drugs yes but they were all on it and all lied about it. Again....they were all on it! This made the tour exciting to watch.... The reality is because of what he did MILLIONS of dollars were raised and countless lives affected due to his foundation. Sure money went into his pocket. Find a person with cancer that benefited and is ALIVE today because of it. The people that have been effected by his cheating in the world of Cancer aren't pissed... disappointed sure but if he didn't cheat and dominate there is no LiveStrong. Everyone is looking at the glass is half empty and discrediting what good came from these cheaters.... it is half full and the I am grateful for Lance and all the cheating cyclist! They ALL lied... they ALL cheated and it was AWESOME to watch!
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
Berlin Marathon September 25
Chicago Marathon October 9
NYC Marathon November 6

...raising funds and awareness for the EVERYMAN Campaign!

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm disappointed with that reply, Brian. IMO you can only go so far with the "you take the good with the bad" argument. Lance went way over the line.

A good perspective from Lauren Fleshman:

http://asklaurenfleshman.com/journal/20 ... etes-plee/
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

Wu wei
Bruce Kidd

Postby Wu wei » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:37 pm

TheBman wrote:
Wu wei wrote:Wonder how Bman is feeling this morning?

LOL....my trolls work well for me, lettin me know when my name was tossed in the fire! I wondered how long was it before a real troll would poke the first stick.

I feel great about what I have always believed in, I feel sad for the sport...I feel worse for those doing a happy dance poking the "I WAS RIGHT" finger at others.......to live such a negative/vengefull life must be truly drainning.

PooWei, just to give you something to do all afternoon as you sit looking for the next thing to pour negativity on, I do not believe you will find a quote of mine where I say he did not dope. I had always hoped that someone who is so ademant about thier inocence is being honest, but much like my career has told me, those are indeed the ones who hold the true lies.

So....Lance fan, not so much after hearing it from LANCE and not all those others who live their lives bashing peeps due to their own shortcomings/ insecurities.

Disapointed, sure am...truly did not want it to be true. Do I put him in the category "just like all the other guys in the tour who were doping but he won it just like they could have...for sure!!!". He DID win 7 after all...and now has proven that they were earned on a level playing field.

This in no way changes my opinion of Livestrong and what they do....my yellowband is still on my wrist.

Lastly, I thought this was well put...not saying I agree with 100% of the quote, but it comes close. Stolen from a buddy of mine. Enjoy.

Ok so here's the thing.... I am not in the majority with my opinion on Lance but here it is.... You take the good with the bad people. It's a dirty sport, period. I don't condone the lies (it just snow balled out of control) but what this guy did was amazing. He competed on drugs yes but they were all on it and all lied about it. Again....they were all on it! This made the tour exciting to watch.... The reality is because of what he did MILLIONS of dollars were raised and countless lives affected due to his foundation. Sure money went into his pocket. Find a person with cancer that benefited and is ALIVE today because of it. The people that have been effected by his cheating in the world of Cancer aren't pissed... disappointed sure but if he didn't cheat and dominate there is no LiveStrong. Everyone is looking at the glass is half empty and discrediting what good came from these cheaters.... it is half full and the I am grateful for Lance and all the cheating cyclist! They ALL lied... they ALL cheated and it was AWESOME to watch!

I'm glad your not hanging by a cord of yellow bracelets around your neck.

It's easy to see why you are such a big fan of Lance, you have a lot in common with him.
“It is not he who reviles or strikes you who insults you, but your opinion that these things are insulting.”
Epictetus

alexk
Bill Crothers

Postby alexk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:47 pm

Jwolf wrote:I'm disappointed with that reply, Brian. IMO you can only go so far with the "you take the good with the bad" argument. Lance went way over the line.

A good perspective from Lauren Fleshman:

http://asklaurenfleshman.com/journal/20 ... etes-plee/

Great insight from LF - too bad he didn't do the noble thing. I've never been a huge Lance fan but I do find him an interesting character study. He's a modern day tragic hero - remember MacBeth & Hamlet from your high school English class?

His ego and quest for power/control are his innate flaw - he'll only admit guilt if he can gain something from his admission. He's not sorry for actions and never will be, if you ask me. His ego is just too big for him to really "see" the wrong in what's he's done.

The saddest part of the story, for me, is that he has 5 children that have to live with trying to understand their father's fall from grace for the rest of their lives.
We train more joyfully and productively when we focus on the now, rather than on our future race day performance. It's a long road from here to there with many miles to go. We need to run each one. Accept where you are today and simply be thankful for the work you've accomplished. KA

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:49 pm

TheBman wrote:Ok so here's the thing.... I am not in the majority with my opinion on Lance but here it is.... You take the good with the bad people. It's a dirty sport, period. I don't condone the lies (it just snow balled out of control) but what this guy did was amazing. He competed on drugs yes but they were all on it and all lied about it. Again....they were all on it! This made the tour exciting to watch.... The reality is because of what he did MILLIONS of dollars were raised and countless lives affected due to his foundation. Sure money went into his pocket. Find a person with cancer that benefited and is ALIVE today because of it. The people that have been effected by his cheating in the world of Cancer aren't pissed... disappointed sure but if he didn't cheat and dominate there is no LiveStrong. Everyone is looking at the glass is half empty and discrediting what good came from these cheaters.... it is half full and the I am grateful for Lance and all the cheating cyclist! They ALL lied... they ALL cheated and it was AWESOME to watch!

What nonsense.

They didn't all lie and cheat - the guys who refused got the shaft and most never had the opportunity to ride the Tour de France. The cheaters denied many good cyclists a chance because they wouldn't cross the line.

He raised money for cancer - unquestionably, due to the perceived "hero" that Lance appeared to be, they raised a lot of money. Being paid to appear at charity events doesn't make him any better of a person IMO, and even if there was a shread of altruism in those actions, it was still a complete fraud. Columbian drug dealers often build hospitals and schools, too, I guess we just look past the executions because hey, they did some good? Look past the PR (and that's all Lance's relationship to Livestrong ever was).

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:55 pm

Jwolf wrote:I'm disappointed with that reply, Brian.

.....phewph....good thing my goal was not to specificaly impress you Jen!
Funny though....already over your disappointment!
B
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
NYC Marathon November 6

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:56 pm

Liam01 wrote:Does this also end the "brand"/career of Chris Carmichael ? Coaching both LA and Hincapie, one can only assume he was involved to a certain point.. maybe at the other end of the syringe ?

It's amazing how little his name has actually come up... he's managed to remain relatively unscathed in all of this.

One thing I'd point out - the things Lance held back on are generally the things that have legal implications. The UCI payoff is criminal, encouraging and/or providing drugs to other cyclists is criminal, admitting Betsy wasn't lying will help her pending lawsuit against him...

I can't say I blame him for not implicating himself criminally, although I'd rather he just "bar-some-holds" in the no-holds-barred interview rather than continue to lie.

jono
Visit my blog!

"If you want to be functional at 80, you better damn well pay attention at 40" -- Lew Hollander

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:59 pm

jonovision_man wrote:I can't say I blame him for not implicating himself criminally, although I'd rather he just "bar-some-holds" in the no-holds-barred interview rather than continue to lie.

According to one legal analyst on CNN, he said plenty that could implicate him legally. Where he was showing extreme caution (IMO) was in a) implicating anyone else, and b) calling anyone a liar. What he doesn't want is to open himself up to libel/defamation suits.

TheBman
Jerome Drayton

Postby TheBman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:01 pm

La wrote:
jonovision_man wrote:I can't say I blame him for not implicating himself criminally, although I'd rather he just "bar-some-holds" in the no-holds-barred interview rather than continue to lie.

According to one legal analyst on CNN, he said plenty that could implicate him legally. Where he was showing extreme caution (IMO) was in a) implicating anyone else, and b) calling anyone a liar. What he doesn't want is to open himself up to libel/defamation suits.

Exactly....he may be a doper, but he is no dummy!
The MARATHON GRAND SLAM!

London Marathon April 17
Boston Marathon April 18
NYC Marathon November 6

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:51 pm

La wrote:

What did he say that could implicate him legally? He didn't really admit to any bigger role than the others who confessed (Landis, Hamilton, etc).

jono
Visit my blog!

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:46 pm

RobAllen wrote:
La wrote:I'm still puzzled about the reluctance to talk about what happened in the hospital room. After all the other admissions he made, why not admit to that, too? The only thing I can think of is that he is trying to protect himself from counter-suits or something. He was very reluctant to talk about anyone but himself (wouldn't call anyone a liar, would only say,"That never happened.". And the name Bruyneel never came up once!

The hospital room has many implications. There is talk the doctor testified for LA in the SCA case and most likely has a non-disclosure on both sides for that testimony. The second reason is that Livestrong has given many donations over the years to that hospital - certainly makes sense since that is where he was treated for cancer but if he implicates the situation then a red flag is raised on the foundation.

As for Betsy and the earpiece I saw it as coming loose because she was getting so animated. I don't think she could afford to have a lawyer on retainer for all of the appearances she has made. She certainly does not see this as an admission of anything other than self-serving. Saying nothing happened after 2005 is calculated. My guess is he is hoping to provide real details on real people to USADA/WADA in exchange for a reduction of his lifetime ban retroactive to his last tour win in 2005. If so, and successful, he would be allowed to race again this year. It seems USADA & WADA were not impressed with the admissions last night so it may be a tough sell.

I just re-watched that part. She was definitely listening to someone talking in her ear before she responded. You can see it in her face and in how she answered the question.

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:52 pm

Lance Armstrong's confession may lead to more investigation
Legal experts agree the cyclist is now exposed to various civil lawsuits

The Associated Press
Posted: Jan 18, 2013 1:51 PM ET
Last Updated: Jan 18, 2013 5:45 PM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/cycling/story/2013/01/18/sp-cycling-lance-armstrong-confession-legal-woes.html

Jwolf
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jwolf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:55 pm

TheBman wrote:
La wrote:

Exactly....he may be a doper, but he is no dummy!

I guess he wasn't worried about defamation when he tried to dismiss Betsy Andreu's testimony.
Support me in my fundraising for the Boston Marathon, Boston Public Library team:
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign ... iferwolf11

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:08 pm

The National Post has a really good summary on the interview ....

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/01/18/lance-armstrongs-furious-former-associates-reject-little-runts-confession-as-legal-action-looms/

He did attempt an apology to Betsy in his taped interview, which provided one of the confession’s most memorable (and controversial) moments.
Joe O'Connor: How Lance Armstrong broke my heart

“I said, ‘listen, I called you crazy, I called you a *****. I called you all these things, but I never called you fat,’” Armstrong said, failing to take some of the air out of the situation.

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:15 pm

HCcD wrote:I heard that some Authorized LiveStrong Retailers are having a clear-out sale of their remaining LiveStrong schwag ... fyi ... :shifty: :wink:

I have a LiveStrong sports bag that I bought at Winners more than a year ago at a good price. I bought it because I liked the style and the color (neon green). However, it says "LiveStrong" in big letters on the side, and I feel kind of sheepish carrying it. I think I might get some neon green fabric paint and cover up the "v." Then it would read, "LieStrong."
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

HCcD
Donovan Bailey

Postby HCcD » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Avis wrote:
HCcD wrote:I heard that some Authorized LiveStrong Retailers are having a clear-out sale of their remaining LiveStrong schwag ... fyi ... :shifty: :wink:

I have a LiveStrong sports bag that I bought at Winners more than a year ago at a good price. I bought it because I liked the style and the color (neon green). However, it says "LiveStrong" in big letters on the side, and I feel kind of sheepish carrying it. I think I might get some neon green fabric paint and cover up the "v." Then it would read, "LieStrong."

Someone posted a photo on FB yesterday on their worn out gym bag, with the "v" having been almost completely worn out ... and, had described it as "LieStrong" though, "LiedStrong" may be more fitting, don't you think ... :shifty:

If you have read the article/link on the response from the LiveStrong Foundation, above, http://blog.livestrong.org/2013/01/17/official-statement-from-the-livestrong-foundation-2/ ... they have attempted to distance the "Man" from the real cause/purpose of LiveStrong .... As for me, I still have a lot of LiveStrong schwag and will continue wearing it .... as I have and always believed in the positive things that it has done in supporting people living with and those supporting people living with and/or having lived with someone with cancer ....
Last edited by HCcD on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonovision_man
Bill Crothers

Postby jonovision_man » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Avis wrote:

Heh, I have a RadioShack cycling jersey... great quality material, full zip. Now it's indoor trainer wear.
Visit my blog!

Return to “The Dark Side”