Lynn Williams

Re: What's for dinner?

Postby MINITEE » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:06 pm

Balsamic Roast Beef Recipe

Prep time 5 mins
Cook time 4 hours

Total time
4 hours 5 mins
This Balsamic Roast Beef Recipe is simple and delicious. You’ll definitely want left overs of this roast beef recipe for all those scrumptious leftover meals!
Author: Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients

1 3-4 pound boneless roast beef (chuck or round roast)
1 cup beef broth
½ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic, chopped

Instructions

Place roast beef into the insert of your slow cooker. In a 2-cup measuring cup, mix together all remaining ingredients. Pour over roast beef and set the timer for your slow cooker. (4 hours on High or 6-8 hours on Low)
Once roast beef has cooked, remove from slow cooker with tongs into a serving dish. Break apart lightly with two forks and then ladle about ¼ – ½ cup of gravy over roast beef.
Store remaining gravy in an airtight container in the refrigerator for another use.

* after I shredded the beef I put it back into the crock pot with about 1/3 of the sauce. I took the rest and reduced it as well as added a bit of a corn starch slurry for a true gravy. I have to say the flavours were really nice. Will definitely make this again.
KEEP GOING, NEVER GIVE UP: Spencer D

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

Miss*Smiles
Lynn Williams

Postby Miss*Smiles » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:10 am

Samantha wrote:I made this tonight

http://budgetbytes.blogspot.ca/2011/07/ ... rving.html

Only I used white meat instead of dark

And? How did you like it?!
When your legs get tired, run with your heart.

Overcome the notion that you must be regular. It robs you of your chance to be extraordinary.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:23 am

I made braised lamb shanks for dinner last night and I think I might have kicked my own culinary @ss. :lol: It was one of the BEST things I have ever made. :) :drool:

It's not for everyone as I know that some people are fussy about "meat on bones" or even about lamb itself.
"Maybe I will be my own inspiration." - UltraMonk (Laura)
"Everywhere is walking distance if you have enough time." - Steven Wright

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:46 pm

La wrote:I made braised lamb shanks for dinner last night and I think I might have kicked my own culinary @ss. :lol: It was one of the BEST things I have ever made. :) :drool:

It's not for everyone as I know that some people are fussy about "meat on bones" or even about lamb itself.

Recipe please?

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:14 pm

AjaxRunner wrote:
La wrote:I made braised lamb shanks for dinner last night and I think I might have kicked my own culinary @ss. :lol: It was one of the BEST things I have ever made. :) :drool:

Recipe please?

From memory:

3 frozen NZ lamb shanks, thawed
1 large vidalia (sweet) onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 portobello mushroom cap, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 small bulb celeriac (celery root, about the size of a baseball), diced (you could also use 2 parsnips if you can't get celery root)
3 slices bacon
Olive oil
Flour seasoned with salt & pepper (for dredging lamb)
1 small can tomato paste
Red wine
Beef broth
1Tbsp each dried rosemary and thyme, 2-3 bay leaves

I use an enamel coated cast-iron pan with a lid (Le Creuset), but you could do it in any stove-to-oven dish, or start it on the stove and then transfer everything to your slow cooker. Since my pot isn't super big, I had to do this in three stages, then put it all back together.

Step 1:
Sautee the onion, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil until well done (nearly caramelized). Remove from the pan.

Step 2:
Add a bit more olive oil and sautee the carrot and celeriac (or parsnip) until slightly tender and a bit brown on the outside. Remove from the pan into the same bowl you're holding the onions in.

Step 3:
Chop up the bacon and cook until crispy. Remove from the pan into the same bowl holding the other ingredients.

Step 4:
Depending on how much fat remains in the bottom of the pan, you may have to add a bit more olive oil, or drain out some of the bacon fat. You need enough fat just to cover the bottom of the pan.
Dredge the lamb shanks in flour seasoned with salt & pepper. Shake off any excess.
Sear/brown the shanks in the pan, turning so that all sides get brown. Run and turn off smoke detector. Remove shanks from the pan and put on a plate.

Step 5:
Now you've got all this great crusty stuf in the bottom of your pan! Add the onion/mushroom/carrot/bacon back into the pan, along with one can of tomato paste. Stir thouroughly and allow the tomato paste to get slightly caramelized.
Add 1-2 cups of red wine to deglaze the pan (I only had 1 cup left in my bottle, but I wish I'd had more).

Step 6: [This is where you can tranfer everythinginto your slow cooker if you are going that route.]
Add 1 cup of unsalted beef broth and the dried thyme, rosemary and bay leaves.
Add the lamb shanks back into the sauce and ensure they are covered. Add more broth if necessary.

Bake covered at 250F for 3-4 hours.

If you want a slightly thicker gravy, take the lamb out once cooked, then mix 1Tbsp soft butter with 1Tbsp flour into a paste and whisk it in until the sauce thickens. Adjust seasoning with salt & pepper to taste.

Serve 1 shank per person with sauce over noodles of choice.

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:18 pm

One note about the above recipe: this is essentially how I make all my stews, so if you want to sub some other type of boneless meat for the lamb shanks - or use veal shanks for Osso Bucco - it will work just as well.

Another note: this recipe makes a lot more sauce than what is needed for three lamb shanks, so if you have more meat than that, you don't have to increase the other ingredients. For me it was just an issue of what would fit in my pot.
Last edited by La on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AjaxRunner
Tom Longboat

Postby AjaxRunner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:23 pm

Awesome, thank you!

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:34 pm

La, I love that you included "Run and turn off smoke detector." in Step 4. :lol:
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:48 pm

CAW wrote:La, I love that you included "Run and turn off smoke detector." in Step 4. :lol:

Because that actually happened! :lol:

I need a proper range hood vent. Mine doesn't suck.

Stampie
Abby Hoffman

Postby Stampie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:49 pm

La wrote:Step 6: [This is where you can tranfer everythinginto your slow cooker if you are going that route.]

How long would you cook it in the slow cooker if you went that route? Say 3-4hrs at high?
PB’s (official race results)
5K – 26:20; 8K – 41:28; 10K – 52:13; 15K - 1:22:43; 21.1K – 1:54:16; 30K – 2:51:34; 42.2K – 4:24:14

What is up for 2018
Feb 11th - First Half Vancouver
TBA
Planning & in my sights
Jun 9th - Puddle Jumper Classic

Run the mile you're in. Not the one behind you, and not the one in front of you - the one you are running now :) - purdy65

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:46 pm

Stampie wrote:
La wrote:Step 6: [This is where you can tranfer everythinginto your slow cooker if you are going that route.]

How long would you cook it in the slow cooker if you went that route? Say 3-4hrs at high?

I guess. I'm not sure what the temps for High/Low are on a slow cooker. Basically, cook it until the meat is falling off the bone.

toobusy
Jerome Drayton

Postby toobusy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:35 am

Blackened salmon and rice last night for supper. Yum. Roast beef today.

I am making a big batch of food to go in the freezer for work lunches. Easy to grab a baggie with a portion and away i go.
Yesterday:
Cajun chicken rice
chicken tetrazzini
salsa chicken fajita
Today:
Beef stew
Beef enchilada

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:22 pm

On a roll this week!

Miso glazed salmon
Salmon fillet (appr 500 g)
1 tablespoon miso paste
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey

Preheat broiler and put an oven rack to the highest position. Mix all the glaze ingredients well with a whisk. Line a baking tray with foil (this definitely helped clean up). Place fish skin side down on the baking tray and top with about half the glaze over the fish. Broil for about 10 minutes, glazing once or twice through the process with the excess glaze. The sauce will caramelize really well and the run off will burn, just a warning for those with sensitive fire alarms. ;)

It was perfectly cooked (for my liking) in about 9 minutes and it was so yummy I almost ate the whole thing. Leftovers for dinner tonight!

*miso and mirin are easily available in an Asian grocery, or should be easy to find in the International section of a big-box grocery store

Hey, be careful around me, apparently I'm a chronically offended kind of person... ;)

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 pm

I have miso paste. What's mirin?

I was just at the Asian grocery store today!

MINITEE
Lynn Williams

Postby MINITEE » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:07 pm

Mirin is a sweet rice wine.. kind of like saki, but with very minimal alcohol content. You'll find it with the vinegars.

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:38 am

Made this last night with a couple substitutions:

Chicken in Lettuce cups
2 T canola oil
4 cloves garlic
1 cup finely chopped baby bok choy (I used a big stalk of regular bok choy as there was no baby)
1 ½ pounds ground chicken (We already had chicken thighs in the freezer so I just chopped them up into very small bits)
3 green onions sliced
½ cup hoisin sauce
1 tsp sweet chili sauce

Heat oil and cook garlic, add chicken and cook til no longer pink, add bok choy then stir in remaining ingredients

Serve on leaves of head lettuce (Head lettuce was $2.50 each :shock: so I opted to just make a pot of rice and served it over rice)
Sprinkle with chopped dry roasted peanuts and cilantro(or not for the cilantro haters :lol: )
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

CAW
Lynn Williams

Postby CAW » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:55 am

I made a fantastic Chicken Piccata last night, served with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli (the sauce was good on the broccoli too!)

I used this recipe (super easy) and I also added some chopped cremini mushrooms to the sauce as well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giad ... index.html
~Kara~

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself."
— Thich Nhat Hanh

getfit
Jerome Drayton

Postby getfit » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:30 pm

CAW wrote:I made a fantastic Chicken Piccata last night, served with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli (the sauce was good on the broccoli too!)

I used this recipe (super easy) and I also added some chopped cremini mushrooms to the sauce as well.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giad ... index.html

I saw this post and decided to try and make your 'super easy' recipe. That's usually the kiss of death for me, if someone says it's easy, I manage to screw it up :lol: My problems started when I went to open the jar of capers I had in the fridge. It was a sealed jar, with the plastic wrap still covering the lid, but then I noticed some weird stuff around the rim. So that went in the garbage and therefore no capers. I thought I would improvise and add some Dijon mustard. But I ended up using too much and the mustard flavour overwhelmed the sauce. Messed around adding a bit more lemon and white wine. When it was finally finished it was pretty good, but not very thick. The chicken itself was delicious. I will try it again for sure the next time I have capers.
"I'm not sufficiently organized or ambitious to do all the things you're supposed to do if you're serious. The more time you spend fiddlediddling with this and that, the less time there is to run." ED WHITLOCK

Avis
Jerome Drayton

Postby Avis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:28 am

Last night we had a waffle supper (someone needed cheering up!) We had wheat germ buttermilk waffles, blueberries and orange segments, plus honey or maple syrup. Smiles all around! :D
"We are made of dreams and bones."
--The Garden Song

"By perseverance, the snail reached the ark."
--Charles H. Spurgeon

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
--Pablo Picasso

Samantha
Donovan Bailey

Postby Samantha » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:15 pm

I made roasted vegetables and quinoa tonight. I followed this recipe http://familyspice.com/recipes/recipe/?recipe_id=233 sort of.

I used carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus and tomatoes. I drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and used some Mrs Dash and oregano and thyme and a bit of garlic salt. Roasted at 450 F for 25 mins (roughly), then added the tomatoes and roasted for another 5 minutes. (I did find the carrots and asparagus were not quite soft enough - next time they'll go in first and then I'll add the others after a bit.)

Drizzled with a bit of lemon juice and a bit more balsamic vinegar. Served with quinoa and a bit of feta cheese. Yummy. Going to take it for my lunches this week. Will add some shrimp as well.

NewFinnLoper
Jerome Drayton

Postby NewFinnLoper » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 am

Samantha wrote:I made roasted vegetables and quinoa tonight. I followed this recipe http://familyspice.com/recipes/recipe/?recipe_id=233 sort of.

I used carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus and tomatoes. I drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and used some Mrs Dash and oregano and thyme and a bit of garlic salt. Roasted at 450 F for 25 mins (roughly), then added the tomatoes and roasted for another 5 minutes. (I did find the carrots and asparagus were not quite soft enough - next time they'll go in first and then I'll add the others after a bit.)

Drizzled with a bit of lemon juice and a bit more balsamic vinegar. Served with quinoa and a bit of feta cheese. Yummy. Going to take it for my lunches this week. Will add some shrimp as well.

Oh that sounds delish!
22 halfs (PR 1:42:02) :)
5 full (PR 3:48:21)
...and a smattering of adventure and trail races thrown in for good measure!
--------------------------
All running is on hold until further notice .... :0(

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Pork roast in the slow cooker. This "recipe" is out of my head, so I'll report later on how it turned out.

Browned the roast on all sides (it's a rib roast with bones in) in a frying pan. Put it in a pre-heated slow cooker on High. Added sliced onions to the frying pan along with 1 large Tbsp of PC Black Label bacon marmalade. Added 6 dried figs that I'd roughly chopped. Deglazed with about 1/2 cup of red wine and 1/2 cup beef stock. Added some sprigs of fresh sage, then poured that over the pork roast. It's still on high because I'd like to eat dinner around 6PM and I only started this around 2:30 or so.

I'm going to serve it with baked sweet potato and green beans.

Review to follow...

Jo-Jo
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Jo-Jo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:02 pm

La wrote:Pork roast in the slow cooker. This "recipe" is out of my head, so I'll report later on how it turned out.

Browned the roast on all sides (it's a rib roast with bones in) in a frying pan. Put it in a pre-heated slow cooker on High. Added sliced onions to the frying pan along with 1 large Tbsp of PC Black Label bacon marmalade. Added 6 dried figs that I'd roughly chopped. Deglazed with about 1/2 cup of red wine and 1/2 cup beef stock. Added some sprigs of fresh sage, then poured that over the pork roast. It's still on high because I'd like to eat dinner around 6PM and I only started this around 2:30 or so.

Review to follow...

That sounds amazing...and something that both Ro-Ro and I would love...waiting for review!!!
Technophobe Extraordinaire
"Princess" J0-JO...The Awesome Running Machine.
"a precious, unique and quirky individual"...definition given by a Toronto Cop
An Ever Loyal and Devoted Official Doonst Fan.
"In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer" -Albert Camus
"Keep Going. Never Give Up." Spencer

La
Kevin Sullivan

Postby La » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:20 pm

Jo-Jo wrote:
La wrote:Pork roast in the slow cooker. This "recipe" is out of my head, so I'll report later on how it turned out.

Review to follow...

That sounds amazing...and something that both Ro-Ro and I would love...waiting for review!!!

It was gooooood! :)

Return to “Nutrition and Weight Management”