Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

For beginners, penguins, re-beginners, social types and the more low key runners for whom Boston is a tea party, not a race in the near future
scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Tori wrote:
AndyM wrote:On a non-running-with-child note....I mildly sprained my ankle yesterday AND I have a wonky knee that's acting up and I"m bummed. Training for ATB has been going super awesome up until now. Complaining over. :(

Oh no Ms. Speedy! Can you get some cold laser on it? That always seems to speed up the healing for me when I sprain my ankles on a regular basis.

boo! still three weeks though - lots of time for recovery.
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon
May - Sporting Life Ottawa 10K
May - Ottawa Half Marathon

jes
Jerome Drayton

Postby jes » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 pm

I didn't run a step after finding out I was pregnant. It was January and I wasn't willing to risk a fall. But that's just me.

I swam until 38 weeks though, and did an open water olympic swim when I was about 6 months. I couldn't wear a wetsuit, obviously, and I sure got some looks that day! I should try to find a picture. It was all kinds of awesome.

I found running really easy when I was on mat leave. But Zack liked the stroller and was a really easy baby.

I don't run with him at all anymore. But I can't wait for the day he can come with me on his bike!

Right now, I run Monday after work while DH does daycare pick up.
Tues: I run at 6:30 (I make dinner for the boys then leave; I miss bedtime)
Wed: I run after work and DH does daycare pick up
Thurs: I run at 6 (make dinner, leave)
Fri: rest
Sat: I run whenever I can (usually an hour or so)
Sun: I run all morning :D DH and DS watch way too many cartoons.

So yeah, I have a very understanding DH. It helps that he can be home early to daycare pick up a few days a week.
If it ain’t broke, run through it -- Strider

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:04 am

Sigh. I'm back in the saddle again. Started Learn to Run last night with Running Room and those one minute runs were harder than I thought :shock: Now I'm angry at myself for completely letting what little fitness I had go down the drain just because I got pregnant.

On the bright side I did find a used BOB and I love it - I just hope Mr Crankypants baby will tolerate it for runs :D We are signed up for the family run at both National Capital Race weekend and the Barrhaven Run so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he does well.

Thanks for letting me vent.
If only I could love running as much as I love yoga....

(Is still considered "running" if you can walk faster than you can run?)

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

AndyM
Bill Crothers

Postby AndyM » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:53 am

rdmsgirl wrote:Sigh. I'm back in the saddle again. Started Learn to Run last night with Running Room and those one minute runs were harder than I thought :shock: Now I'm angry at myself for completely letting what little fitness I had go down the drain just because I got pregnant.

On the bright side I did find a used BOB and I love it - I just hope Mr Crankypants baby will tolerate it for runs :D We are signed up for the family run at both National Capital Race weekend and the Barrhaven Run so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he does well.

Don't be discouraged. You will get there! There are so many of us that I know of that are even better and faster runners now than we were before baby. It just takes time. THere are so many factors that come into play in getting back into fitness after baby so don't beat yourself up. My first 10K race back after having my daughter was over 20 min slower than my PB and I remember having to start back at the couple of min on couple of min off stage. It is hard but it's worth it.

2014 Races:
Around the Bay 30K - DNS :(
ORW Marathon - 3:38:11 - PB & first BQ!!!!

Personal Bests:
Marathon - May 2014 - 3:38:11-----30K - Mar 2013 - 2:37:42----1/2 Marathon - Oct 2013- 1:38:53----10K - Oct 2012 - 45:31-----5K - Feb 2009 - 22:21

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 am

AndyM wrote:
rdmsgirl wrote:Sigh. I'm back in the saddle again. Started Learn to Run last night with Running Room and those one minute runs were harder than I thought :shock: Now I'm angry at myself for completely letting what little fitness I had go down the drain just because I got pregnant.

Don't be discouraged. You will get there! There are so many of us that I know of that are even better and faster runners now than we were before baby. It just takes time. THere are so many factors that come into play in getting back into fitness after baby so don't beat yourself up. My first 10K race back after having my daughter was over 20 min slower than my PB and I remember having to start back at the couple of min on couple of min off stage. It is hard but it's worth it.

exactly! it WILL come back!

As for baby liking the stroller - I was thankful that mine mostly did, but there were a few unintended tempo runs where I was running sub-5 min kms with the stroller to get home so my neighbours wouldn't judge me for running with a crying kid!
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Congratulations on getting back at running!
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

Nothing will change if you never choose.

2018 goals: May half marathon, September half marathon

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:34 pm

You Maniac momma's are awesome :D I think that the one thing I love most about being a part of a running community is the amount of support runners give each other, regardless of ability and experience. :YMHUG:
Today was my first Sunday run with the Running Room Learn to run clinic, which I thought would be an LSD but turned out to be the same thing we ran clinic night (R1 W2 x 7). I thought this would be easy but given the sleep deprivation I am enduring (my 3 month old has stopped sleeping through the night) , it was mighty hard!

“The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start.” John Bingham

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Re: Re: Hot running (newish) Momma's thread...

Postby Irongirl » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:17 pm

rdmsgirl wrote:You Maniac momma's are awesome :D I think that the one thing I love most about being a part of a running community is the amount of support runners give each other, regardless of ability and experience. :YMHUG:
Today was my first Sunday run with the Running Room Learn to run clinic, which I thought would be an LSD but turned out to be the same thing we ran clinic night (R1 W2 x 7). I thought this would be easy but given the sleep deprivation I am enduring (my 3 month old has stopped sleeping through the night) , it was mighty hard!

The learn to run clinic does the same distance for the whole week...

Are you implying that your 3 month old WAS sleeping through the night?
Great job on getting it there even when you're exhausted!
i run for me.

Number of Maniacs Met: 225!

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:11 am

Irongirl wrote:
rdmsgirl wrote:You Maniac momma's are awesome :D I think that the one thing I love most about being a part of a running community is the amount of support runners give each other, regardless of ability and experience. :YMHUG:

He was sleeping from 7-3 give or take an hour either way. Some nights he'd sleep until 4 and some nights bed time would be as early as 6. He always wakes up by 7 am either way, although he tends to wake between 5-6. Those few weeks where he was sleeping through were bliss O:-)

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 am

rdmsgirl wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

He was sleeping from 7-3 give or take an hour either way. Some nights he'd sleep until 4 and some nights bed time would be as early as 6. He always wakes up by 7 am either way, although he tends to wake between 5-6. Those few weeks where he was sleeping through were bliss O:-)

WOoohoo for the running!

I started running again too, and so far they have felt good! :)

Since we are on the topic of sleep, I don't get any but sometime in my life I will, right? My husband lets me sleep in about once a week to try to recuperate. My almost 2yo (how did that happen?!) is up about 2x a night then at around 5-5:30 for the day. And the baby is still up about 4 times (at 2.5 months). Sigh.
Lady of the Order of the Velour Track Suit

eme
Lynn Williams

Postby eme » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:47 am

pts wrote:
rdmsgirl wrote:
Irongirl wrote:

WOoohoo for the running!

I started running again too, and so far they have felt good! :)

Since we are on the topic of sleep, I don't get any but sometime in my life I will, right? My husband lets me sleep in about once a week to try to recuperate. My almost 2yo (how did that happen?!) is up about 2x a night then at around 5-5:30 for the day. And the baby is still up about 4 times (at 2.5 months). Sigh.

How do you function :shock:

Reading this, I am kind of glad that I only had one (life just worked out that way) and that he is 18 yrs old and sleeps more than I do :lol:

Kid sleeping vibes headed your way.

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:50 am

Isn't that one sleep in morning amazing though?! :)

I tell all dad-to-be - if you can do anything for your wife, get up on Saturday morning with the baby. Even if she has to get up to feed the baby, take the baby after she feeds and let her sleep in - even until 7:30 - she will be a nicer person. :)
i run for me.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:17 pm

I function on coffee mostly. I am currently brewing cup #3 of the day. It is actually not too bad, I go to bed at 9pm most days.

And yes IG- that one (or sometimes two) days a week is amazing! :)

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Ah sleep. One day we'll meet again, right? My 2 1/2 year old still rarely sleeps through the night. Everytime I make some noise about wanting a third, hubby reminds me that I haven't slept through the night in almost 3 years :)

rdmsgirl
Tom Longboat

Postby rdmsgirl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:43 pm

pts wrote:I function on coffee mostly. I am currently brewing cup #3 of the day. It is actually not too bad, I go to bed at 9pm most days.

And yes IG- that one (or sometimes two) days a week is amazing! :)

9 pm is way past my bedtime these days - I am in bed by 8 some nights!! :shock:

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Kristi wrote:Ah sleep. One day we'll meet again, right? My 2 1/2 year old still rarely sleeps through the night. Everytime I make some noise about wanting a third, hubby reminds me that I haven't slept through the night in almost 3 years :)

If you want more birth control I can message you when my third gets up in the morning. I need to rent him out as a wake up service.
If all that you read is everything you believe then let go, then let go, then let go.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:55 pm

IronColl wrote:
Kristi wrote:Ah sleep. One day we'll meet again, right? My 2 1/2 year old still rarely sleeps through the night. Everytime I make some noise about wanting a third, hubby reminds me that I haven't slept through the night in almost 3 years :)

If you want more birth control I can message you when my third gets up in the morning. I need to rent him out as a wake up service.

Even better, with no time change to deal with like you would have (so making it a more reasonable 7ish or so), I will call Kristi when my second child gets up at 5:15. She can listen to 'scratch my back, read go dog go, GET UP, I WANT DOWNSTAIRS..." :lol:

We will all sleep one day!

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:50 am

pts wrote:
IronColl wrote:

Even better, with no time change to deal with like you would have (so making it a more reasonable 7ish or so), I will call Kristi when my second child gets up at 5:15. She can listen to 'scratch my back, read go dog go, GET UP, I WANT DOWNSTAIRS..." :lol:

We will all sleep one day!

As long as I can call you at 11 p.m. when one of the kids is having a dance party or at 3 when he is calling for me! My kids are actually pretty good in the morning for sleeping in, it's just night times that aren't as much fun. But that's exactly how I am as well, so it's hard to complain too much.

IronColl
Lynn Williams

Postby IronColl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:00 am

Whoa, lets' not be hasty Kristi!

In all honesty I can handle the early morning when I have a good sleep during the night.

pts
Lynn Williams

Postby pts » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:05 am

IronColl wrote:Whoa, lets' not be hasty Kristi!

In all honesty I can handle the early morning when I have a good sleep during the night.

:lol: I used to think I could handle morning, I now am terrible in the morning. Luckily D is at home until 7:30 to help deal.

FishPants
Lynn Williams

Postby FishPants » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:00 am

I am extremely lucky with how John and Bubs sleep. Bubs has the easiest bedtime/naptime ever. I know I am completely screwed when it comes to this third one...

Kristi
Jerome Drayton

Postby Kristi » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:11 am

Alex is a champion napper. He actually asks to go for a nap and will just crawl right into bed and close his eyes. He'll even usually go to bed okay, its the night when he has trouble (and always has!). I'll look back on these days one day when I can't get them out of bed until noon. Even now, mornings are a struggle. This morning, I took all of the sheets off the bed with Timothy still in it and he just moved out of my way. He's like a teenager! Hubby and I are both terrible sleepers so we shouldn't be surprised that we are blessed with terrible sleepers. Now that I'm almost done work (3 more days!), it's much more tolerable! At least I won't be required to have intelligent conversations during the day anymore ;)

QuickChick
Lynn Williams

Postby QuickChick » Fri May 17, 2013 6:20 pm

Hey ladies! Can I join your club? :) :) :)
I'm SO relieved to see how many of you ran for so long! 6 months is the longest I'd heard from my girlfriends (though I know you CAN run right up to the end). I'm about 5 months now and still feeling good, no pain or anything, so I'm hoping to stick with it as long as possible. I don't feel like myself when I don't run. I'm just slowing down by the day- lol, and 5-6km is usually enough. I'm inheriting a world-record setting Baby Jogger (from Mr and Mrs Joggler), which I am THRILLED about! OH, and today I asked my Dr for a prescription for compression socks to prevent varicose veins- they're covered by my benefits! He said running makes them less likely but gave me the rx... woohoo! They'll be great EITHER if I actually need them while pg, or after when I am itching to get back to track stuff, racing etc!

A couple things... I'm currently double bra-ing it with my normal sports bras, which works fine, and I am leery of buying new (SUPER expensive) bras when I will likely change quite a bit in size between now and the end. I seem to be ok so far but did anyone find any really good bras that either a) grow with you or b) support really well and are cheap enough that it doesn't matter as much if you need to get another? This seems less likely, lol.

Did anyone get a belly support band? I don't seem to need it now but if I still feel good enough to run in a month or two I can see it being useful.
"Don’t let negativity rent space in your brain for free. That is how you become a badass…by excavating her from inside you. You don’t have to become someone else. You need to identify the effing awesome parts of you that are your tools to work with, and maximize those." -Lauren Fleshman

Irongirl
Kevin Sullivan

Postby Irongirl » Fri May 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Welcome to the club! :-)

I love the mizuno bras. They are even handy for breastfeeding! You're right though, you're going to get bigger, and then smaller....consistent the amount you are running, it's worth another bra soon/now...since you'll probably get back to running when your boobs are even bigger, you might need another one bigger, but, the one you buy now will fit again later (if that makes sense).

I made it to just over 30 weeks with Dex, I think. I did use a band at the end, but, it wasn't comfortable.

I hated stroller running. :-P
i run for me.

scrumhalfgirl
Lynn Williams

Postby scrumhalfgirl » Sat May 18, 2013 12:40 pm

I wasn't running through my pregnancy, but was working out, and I borrowed sports bras from a friend (thanks IG!) so I didn't have to buy for that in-between phase.

I bought a new bra about six weeks post partum in an even larger size - right around the time I started running again. 6 weeks was a good point, because I found feeding had sort of stabilized by then, and so had my size, at least for the first 6 months or so when she was exclusively BF. I loved the Moving Comfort Juno bra - super supportive, and then has velcro at the straps that can act like a nursing bra (though they aren't designed to be).

And I love stroller running! :D
Jesse's 2017 Plans
April - Boston Marathon

Return to “The Scenic Route”